advice needed on breastfeeding

hi Princess,

i cant latch bcoz of my son, he is too impatient and my flow/letdown (wadeva you call that) is a bit slow in coming... a few times i try to latch him, he almost bite my nipple off (pencil thin le).. now i see the way he bite the teats gives me the shudder.

Actually, you know ive always feel very sad when i see mummy latching their kid directly and that day when that lady told me off, i was really very very down and i cried while having my lunch (so embarrassing)... ofcs i told her off but so what, it still kinda of hurt.. worse still to rub salt to the wound, that day the milk index is very low.. so lagi sad. =\

Then again, i will just pess on lah (at least for 6mths)...

yupz, i bot at Giant but never cook leh..too lazy..

Munchies (oosh),
got car, latch on in car lah...
happy.gif

If got both hind & fore milk, then good balance...

Hi leng leng,

i wish leh but my son will HOWWWWLLL.. That one very very bad temper..

in the end pump in car when there isnt any nursing room around...

When my son bite,
I'll use my index finger & smack on his ears!
U know that index finger & thumb hit?

That stopped him.
happy.gif

hmm... sounds good.. but then horh.. isnt it too late to teach him how to latch? he is already 10/11weeks old liao

anyway if i can latch, i dun mind bf him even in public now that there are so many nice nursing cover, no need to be ashame and to look for nursing room

10/11weeks old bite???
Try latching on mine, he's got teeth!!!

Can try, but not when Baby is very hungry or cranky,
for start, let him suck for comfort,
about 1.5-2hours after last feed.

HTHs,
Leng Leng
happy.gif

Leng leng, are you a SAHM? i really admire you, you got 3 kids and can still organise sprees and seems to be coping so well? you have maid to help you? Best of all, you can TBF your kids leh... reallly something man

SAHM till #3 is 18mths old,
when he goes to child care,
I return to work.
happy.gif

Organise sprees to keep my mind active,
else can rot at home...
happy.gif

BF because I'm a lazy mummy who hates to wash bottles... hahaha...

Lots of excusess... :p

you mean you have a ready job waiting for you? if yes, then your boss is really very good..

but you have maid at home to help out? otherwise, how to cope with 3kids.. i believe they are all very young?

To me, anybody with more than 2kids are really very good alr..

Leng leng, my girl just reached 9 mth today =)
Let you gals know her weight when i bring her to polyclinic for her 9 mth check up on wed!

Munchies, just like what Leng leng said, let your boy latch for comfort.. He suck pacifer? Exchange pacifier with your nipple, not only can train him to latch, also can stimulate & increase supply =)

Munchies (oosh),
a friend want me to join his company,
I'm doing freelance for him now,
hope he's still hiring in January,
else got to find a new job.
happy.gif

No maid, hubby says we don't have Maria,
but have him as Mario, he helps out a lot.
happy.gif

They are 5, 3.5 & 1 yr old.

Leng Leng,

wow wow wow.. you really good man, i got two children already cant make it liao even though hubby helps out a lot too (in fact, he is doing most of the chores)... he said that i too spoilt, bak chiam complain queen... =\

to think that you can even organise spree.. not easy orh (used to do gymboree and birkie spree, now no time at all)

Haha.. yes, she is God sent.. have been helping me the whole june holiday... especially when im pumping, she will tend to him..

she helps to do a lot of the household chores, like folding clothes, hanging clothes, keeping the bed.. shortly after my confinement lady left, the washing machine broke down and she helped me to wash clothes... so sweet..

She is nine this year but very petite so a lot of things even though she is very willing to help but cant bcoz of her height..

She has been a very easy and obedient girl since baby... im really very blssed to have her.

Hi Lengleng,

I heard from a friend that foremilk contain mainly protein, vitamins and antibodies.
As for hindmilk contain mainly fats only but no antibodies, is it true?

Hi Leng Leng, my girl is 8.9kg at 9 mths..

Lost the thread, so until now then "found" you =)
Now i'm taking metoclopramide 2X a day to increase my supply leh. Hope to express more at work.

Thanks Leng Leng, i stopped taking already.. Now i will eat more high protein food instead of so many carbo rich food which make me fat! Yup, still left half a bottle of fenugreek.

If wanna get fenugreek from overseas site, do i have to pay alot for the shipping?

My kids' pictures i can't load leh, file too big, how to make it smaller?

Hi leng leng

Thx for yr advice.
My friends introduce me colostrum and fish oil, they said the quality of the breastmilk will be better, is it true?
Do you take any supplement while u breastfeed?

Hi BL,
just sharing what I found out from the website.
happy.gif

I'm not sure if there's a direct connection on mummy taking supplement & if quality of milk is better,
but definately a well-balanced diet is a MUST!
happy.gif

I took Obimin during pregnancy & 1st 6 months after I gave birth.
happy.gif

hi everyone.
im in distress over my baby breastfeeding and really nede some help. i had visited parent craft and even call him hotline for counselling but seem that everyone just offer me advice on theory.

my baby is about 7-8 weeks now and i total BF. last time i read from books saying let your bb nurse as long on the breast as he wants and after he is full he will unlatch which is waht i did. so for the first month, he normally take about an hour to nurse from both breast and after that he is quite sleepy and goes to sleep without much fussing.

and when i recently bring him to see my gynae and even a lactation consultant (LC), they all told me that too long to BF. max 20min each breast and i shouldnt let him nurse so long cos he become nursing for comfort.

so i try to cut back and i realised he will cry and fuss when i unlatch him after 20-30min. and during BF, he drink so slowly n suckle. when i bring him to LC to check,they told me he is slow drinker and most of the time he is only suckling for comfort.

now i was told to nurse him about 20min n if he fuss, top up with express breastmilk. EBM. and smoe time he is ok after a ful feed but most of the times even bottle EBM. he still fuss. then i ahve to put him back on my breast for 5min and then he will doze off and then i can put him to bed.

so it seem like he need to suckle for comfort to sleep. else he will cry and i have to cradle and rock him for anhour before he can calm down to sleep. it really pain me to see him cry and cry and eventually i give in to let him nurse onmy breast again although LC and counsellors told me that i need to break his habit.

can anyone advice and share with me if u having similar experience and waht i can do?
i feel so stressed out.

Hi wish-to-be-mum,
my girl is one year 2 weeks now, i still let her nurse until she unlatch herself. Sometimes when i nurse her at night, she will suckle for one hour plus until she eventually fell asleep. Actually there's no right or wrong for breastfeeding. My frd only latch her baby around 5-15 mins for milk, then give pacifier for comfort. While i latch my baby for milk + comfort, and my baby don't eat pacific at all.

The more you latch, the more bm you'll produce. Maybe as what you said, your baby is a slow drinker, so he will take abit more longer to drink his milk. Don't worry so much ok?

Are you now on maternity leave or a stay at home mum? If you're going back to work soon, maybe you wanna try to feed him expressed milk in the day, then bf in evening and night time. Let him get used to bottle feeding first? Did you try giving him pacifer to suckle for comfort?

hi princess october, im not too comfortable in giving him pacifier. cos i once read an article that pacifier is only an aid to help a child to sooth him or an aid to help him to get to sleep but not really addressing what the child really wnats or communicating with us. but there a few times he is crying so hard and inconsolable that i give him pacifier for a short while. he stop crying and then when he abt to doze off i remove it from him. during day time, i hardly give him at all. i wll try to rock and cradle him to calm down or to sleep. if all these fail, i will eiter give him my breast to suckle for 5 mins and he will doze off. but if he doesnt and still cry for my breast, i will then no choice give him the pacifier for a wile cos im just too tired and drained out with his crying.

im currently on maternity leave, and every tme after his feed, i will express out but each express out after his feed is quite little. e.g 30-40 ml. so i will try to express like 3 times for the whole day if possible and to make up about 120ml for his night feedat 11pm.cos i notice if i give him quite a full feed, he will less likly to fuss os much and more drowsy state to put him to bed.

but sometime it not quite possible to express milk out each time after a feed cos i may need to sooth his crying which can be 1-2 hrs by then, it time for the nex feed.

so it is normal to let baby suckle for >1hrs plus and even act as comfort??

Hi wish-to-be-mum,
i used to gave my son pacifier whenever he fussed (he's 4 yr old now), and he got so dependent on it that he will latch to it 24/7, except when he eats/drinks. There was a time he got HFMD from his childcare centre, the area around his chin was full of blisters, but he still insisted on sucking his pacifier, making the area difficult to heal. In the end i put chili padi on the pacifier, and he finally quit the habit.

So this time round i insist not to give my girl pacifier, so i latch her whenever she want. To me, it's also a kind of bonding. Even though i'm working and my maid is looking after my girl, my girl is still very close to me, wanna latch the moment she see me haha.

I think your current method is quite good. Latch your boy for his milk first, then give pacifier to sooth him to sleep, once he's not fussy/doze off, remove the pacifier. At night, latch and bf him solely. So he won't get dependent on pacifier.

ya.. im trying a few methods.. it very stressful initially for me esp for breastfeeding and my milk din really come in...

i heard from frens who five fomula, FM, that they dont have such problems of their babies latching on and treating their mummies nipple as pacifier.

it really such a challenge.

i like to hear more from others and other pls also share your view if u have simliar problems of your babies treating you as human pacifier and want to latch on forever.. if u remove your breast, and he cry and cry. what do u do?

Hi fatfat,
I was very stress with BF too as got bad engorggement for the 1st 5 days after my delivery.Cry and cry as can't stand with the pain. I feel like giving up but after get many support frm frens and my hubby was so supportives and encourge me to continue Bf. I get Mdm Rokiah service and agree with many mummies in the forum that she really support on BF and till now always email them my quires and now very happy as I can say that I'm successful with BF. Don't give up easily and she told me not to compare with others on how much you produce as its depends on individual body too. Not to latch bb when they are hungry or angry as they will cry and this situation will makes you more stressful.

hi mummy,
i have blisters on my left nipple & feeling sore and the milk supply is alot lesser than my right breast.

I also cannot let my bb latch on cos its so painful..Can anyone give me some advice?

Hi Geraldine,
You should visit LC to get advise, as if the blister stay, it could lead to bad blockage as a fren of mine exprience like you. When I visited her and she show me her breast. It looked like a small little ripe pimple on the nipple and bb could not latch at all as she say is super painful.

Agree with Tan leng leng advise

helo mummies,i just went back to work after 13 weeks of maternity leave ,cause my team two was taking hospital leave and one going for reservist,and i was still breastfeeding my 3 mths plus gals, i pump twice in the office,one during lunch time ,once at 5.30,and my company alway require me to work late..the manager refuse to let pump milk during office hr,even i already volunter to detuct my ot hr,when i say i dont want to do ot she also say cannot..not fair to other,i m very angry and set,she ask me go hm then pump,too much,if mummies what will u all do?really must i give up breastfeeding my gal?so sad

ylang,
If you don't need the salary, sack your manager.
happy.gif

Not letting you pump is too much,
you'll get engorge & fever,
take MC, let her suffer... hehe...

Pumping only twice is not enough,
your milk supple will slowly decrease,
then soon you'll find that it's not enough for your girl,
then need to supplement with formula milk...
sad.gif

Maternity leave is 16 weeks right?
If you have sign & your boss has agreed for you to take 16 weeks at a a shot, then you are entitled to 16 weeks continueously.

Is your manager those old & unmarried type who don't understand about the importance of breastfeeding?

leng leng ya my manager is a single old and not married woman..is the asst manager(male) who ask me to work to help early and let me clear my left ml nxt yr,and he is the one who say no problem for me to pump at work,after he tok to the manager (female.old not married)he change his face and told me cannot totally.

any way i m just hope i can bf my gals till six mths,and y tat old woman cant be more understand and just fufil a mother wish to bf and give her child the best start in life

i pump twice at hm twice at work nite time i latch is ok to maintain the supply,tat y she ask me to go hm pump lap so many hours how can?

ylang,
Ask him to help lor...
you helped him by returning early, it's time he return your favour.
happy.gif

Try to pump every 3 hourly,
else your supply will sure drop.

female, old not married...
By your description, she's going to remain that way...

hi, are there any working mummies that put your baby in infant care and still on breastfeeding for your baby? hope to hear from your experience on storing and transporting the EBM to and fro..

Thanks!

Hi all mothers,

anybody got this problem same as me?
I just gave birth to my sec dd and she is pretty small size compare to my big dd, her newborn weight is 3.005 Kg, my elder dd that time is 4.915 Kg.

I got problem with latching on my sec dd due to my nipple are more round and big, when i latch her on the nipple will just came out of her mouth. I did went to see my lactation consultant and she said at the moment now i got to used my fingers to squeeze my nipple and hold on to it while i latch but then sometime my dd still like cannot suck properly leh she will get angry.

I read on the web and some mothers said the more you latch the nipple will get bigger in long term.
I BF my first one for 9 months liao. Have you encounter this before big nipple with small mouth baby?

Appreciated any advices, thank you very much!!!

Hi Eileen,
I got the same problem like you. My bb can't latch properly and struggling at my breast and it makes me very stress, till my therapist frm traditional holistic ask me to get advise frm her lady boss Mdm Rokiah and I try to email her for all the quires I have and even make appt for her to visit me. She show me how to latch my bb, as the lactation told me that my bb will not be able to latch. Was very happy that till now my bb still continue latching. I see many other mummies in this forum had her service too. Maybe you could visit her website and email her. Gd luck

<font color="119911">hi mummies..
just browsing thru to encourage mummies to breastfeed as long as u can..

althou it can be tiring for a start..but surely rewarding..esp when baby is drinking your own precious gold..
tell urself u can, and u will be able to do it..

for a start, try to regulate bfg every 3hrly..to establish the supply and get ur body to bring in more milk..either latch on or express out whcever method u r comfy with..

invest in a gd electric pump will help u in the long run of ur bfg career, u can find breeze in bfg..esp when u will want to have more kids, u will surely find tht the cost of the breast pump is maximised with the number of kids you have..
happy.gif

top up FM when u think it's needed..even if u can only express enough for baby's 1 or 2 feeds per day, as long as u continue, it is surely rewarding..

but do not stress up urself..if u find urself not having enough milk, do not be dishearted..take more fluid and food that can boost up ur supply, relax and just continue along the way &amp; even if u could only afford for 1 feed of breastmilk to baby per day..is really a chest of treasures to baby..

i was "hooked" up to totally expressing that i sorely expressed exclusively..somehw i felt i can measured hw much bb is drinking and it sets the frequency for baby's feeding schedule too..

once the supply is established &amp; right before u retn to work..stretch the expressing frequency to match the time u will be expressing out during ur working hrs..try to relax ur mind and think abt ur baby during ur expression or latching on moment..i m sure u will imagine the smile on ur baby's face drinking your precious gold..

so everyone, do jiayou jiayou! also do remember..
happy baby = happy mummy = happy milk </font>

Hi,
would like to seek advice from breastfeeding mummies about eating chinese herbs during breastfeeding during confinement. I was told to take su1 he1 wan1, shen1 hua4 dang1 from the medical hall during confinement. Did any breastfeeding mummies take these and the babies are ok after taking mummies milk? Tks a lot.

Hi hi, i'm a new mummy to 1 3 week plus old bb &amp; i'm havin problems with bf &amp; need some advice!!
My milk flow is stil quite slow &amp; little. So i find that when baby latches on in the evenings esp, he will fuss a lot so i usually bottle feed him either expressed breast milk or formula (if no more EBM). So in between i just pump &amp; store if i can but each time only quite little, like 30-60 ml at most. But cos maybe the amt i give is not enuff, it ranges from 60-90ml, he stil like hungry after drinking from the bottle, so i will latch him till he falls asleep.. But i'm just thinkin if this is a good way cos i'm worried when i go back to work in 1 months time, my MIL won't be able to handle him!! Cos worried he'll develop a habit of comfort latching.. Will bb be like dat?
Also, any advice on how to increase breast milk supply?? I'm oredi taking Mother's love more milk special blend dat contains fenugreek, goat rue etc.. &amp; also mother's milk tea.. just started a few days but no evident increase yet..
Any other ways??
Will appreciate any advice from experienced mums out there!!

tanya (tanya79),
what pump are you using?
A good pump may increase your milk supply.
Have you been drinking enough water? You need about 3L a day.

Rest &amp; sleep more.

HTHs,
Leng Leng
happy.gif

Hi Tanya,

Don't worry, 30-60ml is rather good! Just continue to latch the baby when he wants and express after latching him. Drink more water!

Hi,
my baby 4 days old refused to latch. So I pumped using medela electric pump yesterday 20ml for both breasts every 3 hr as I experienced engorgement. Can someone advise is my frequency correct and the quantity reasonable? I pump for a quite long time using the medela single pump like around 45mins for both breasts to make sure that the breast is really empty after each pump. Am I doing it correctly to do for long? Tks a lot for the advice. I am very anxious now as I really want to give breast milk to my baby. Also when can the milk flow be stabilised so that I can reduce the frequency? Tks a lot.

Back