Advice needed - Newborn just want to be cuddle and sleep very little

honey_bunny

I am desperate for advice.

my newborn bb boy (23 days old) simply wants people to carry him. He can only lie on his own for less than 5 mins and he will start to make some noise. We ignore the "noise" but it will grow to loud cries so we carry him. The moment we carry him, he shuts up.

I asked my aunt, my mother and a couple of friends, they say that its normal for a newborn.

Is that really so? my MIL cant bear to hear him cry bcos she says that due to his young age cant let him cry too long if not he will "eat wind" and end up having gasy stomach.

Sigh.... i cant go on like that... cos as days goes by, he wants us to carry him 24/7. We as adults will get tired cos we are lacking of sleep. The bb can fall asleep on ur lap, ur arms but not on the bed... he will get up between 30 mins to 1 hr if i put him on the bed.

Should i use "cold turkey" method to "inform" him that he cant be carried so much?

PLEASE ADVICE~~~

Newborns are like this. Too young to be left alone to CIO.

If you hv not been swaddling your bb, it helps to do it now [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif].

Must swaddle tight tight like in hospital....not just loosely wrap around.

And plse sleep when your baby is sleeping, even if he is on your lap or in your arms. Just make sure you are in a safe place eg. in the middle of your bed, in case you fall asleep so soundly and drop the bb [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif].

This is motherhood....and it will get better as the months go by.

Hi honey_bunny,

You could check if there are any discomfort (hungry,poo,stomach wind) in your bb? Look out for some signs, eg gassy stomach, curl up his legs, pass wind, cry badly during certain timing etc...Sometimes, it could be due to colic in bb, and they just want comfort from carrying/cuddling to soothe their discomfort. And, check with your PD, he can prescribe anti-colic medicine for bb (my PD gave "Ridwind").

My 1.5mths old boy is having slight colic and certain time each day he will need me to carry around for 1-2 hrs before he finally go into sleep. He started the fuss from 3rd weeks, with my CL around, I still feel relax, but after my CL left, I was almost tied down by him for some days and could not do much things, and with another elder girl to cope, I am of course lack of sleep too.. It is tough but I am trying hard to adjust and adapt.

And yes, bb are very smart nowadays, when the carrying become a routine, it is difficult for you to kick off the habit. So, sometimes if you know the cries is not genuine (can see got tear or not, hee), just leave them alone to cry for awhile. Or you might try a pacifier. It works for my son, it help him into deep sleep faster. My friends were amazed that my son can suck pacifier from 1 wk old. Most people don't prefer to use pacifier, but sometimes when there is no choice, it is the best solution. Another option is to use rocking chair or spring cot to rock, not the best solution but it should be easier than to carrying around.

Hope my experience is helpful to you. : P

ya, newborn r like tat....dun wori abt spoiling him, cos they will outgrow it eventually...i oso carry n let my son sleep on me in the beginning...but aft 3rd mth, he dun wan oredi....remember, like u...they r oso adjusting to sometime new...

oso infant less than 3mths is still too young for cold turkey treatment lor...they need alot of reassurance frm mother...mayb u can try wen he reaches 6mths after.

Hi all! thanks for ur advices. i really appreciate it. I tot my bb was just seeking too much attention. Now i felt better. i will be patient with him.

You can try getting him to sleep on your arm while you are sleeping..that's wat i do to my gal when she want me to carry her and when i'm too sleepy to do so. Normally both of us will end up fast asleep..but ur arm will be numb when u get up lo..

It could also be due to colic..another way is to let him sleep on his tummy on you..

If worst come to worst..you can use yao lan..i have resort to using yao lan to let my gal sleep longer..

I m facing this problem too!!!! But bb doesn't like to be carried by me. I m really clueless what to do when he cries. Try carry ing, pacifier, rocking, singing. Is there something wrong w my bb. He keeps crying n not wanting to sleep even after a feed. It's affecting my appetite, my overall well being, I m so tired. It's also affecting my bm. Not able n no mood to pump bm for my bb.

Hi Amanda, it could be colic. My gf's boy was like that. It is more common for boys and usually in the evening. It will stop after 6 months.

hi hi

Amanda, My gal is close to 8 weeks now and she is also not sleeping for the past 3 days...The whole day from 10am to 10pm, want to be carried..Fell asleep when we carry her, but once we place her on bed, she wakes up!

Have been v v v tiring but today, she slept all the way! sometimes, bb have moods too..try to make sure they are comfortable so that they can sleep...check their diapers, rub some oil if is stomach wind, rock her, touch her..try every position that she is comfy..i guess we just have to endure and get as much help from other family members as possible so that we can have ample rest..Don't despair okie! BM is good for bb and yrself to slim down faster..so pls continue to do it! =)

Did you establish a routine with your newborn? There should be patterns for baby's sleeping, feeding and playing times. Babies do better with an established routine and you will feel less tired when both you and your baby knows what to expect next. Some books you can read e.g Gina ford's Contented Little Baby Bk and Tracy Hogg's Baby Whisperer bk.

All new mummies, take care! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

i m also facing this problem.. my bb doesnt wants to sleep in e cot.. n night time he sleeps for max 1hr he will cry... got no choice i gave in to yao lan... just cross my fingers n hope it will work.

Hi Mummies,

Usually babies if they feel comfortable they will sleep better. My massage lady advise me to apply telon oil anti clockwise at the tummy after bath and before sleep and every time change diaper. You can buy the oil frm traditional holistic postnatal centre in kovan or call call their admin at 81770605.

My lil precious also facing this problem. Always wanna be carried, somemore carry is not enough, have to rock her and walk around den can. Zzz. See her sleep le, wanted to put her down but straight away she will open her eyes and stare at me. But lucky at night she can she all the way to morning 4-5am sometimes 6-7am den cry for milk, and after milk will back to sleep until next feeding time.

Anyway my lil precious now is 2mths old. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Mine is around 10 weeks old. She finds it very difficult to fall asleep on her own, day or night.

During the day, she does not want to take naps although she is very tired. We sometimes just carry her on our chest and nap together. When we have more energy, we try to pat her and put her down. So far, she is not able to sleep past 5-10min. So, we observe her cues. If she is really very very tired, we just let her nap on us. If she is tried, but not grumpy, we try to "train" her. Personally, I don't believe in letting the baby "cry it out"

At night, she's fine. Will fuss a lot before sleep, but can sleep well.

I was quite surprise at Sleepy Wrap. I used it once when we went out for dinner, and BB fell asleep. When I got home at 8.30pm. I could change her clothes & diapers and put her in her cot, and she is still sleeping!!!

Anyone put baby in aircon room. My girl also night time dun wan to sleep. So thought of putting her in aircon room so she can sleep better?

i noticed that she sleep better during rainy days, so tried to put her in aircon & dark room, it works, but only if the temperature is not too cold (around 26 - 27 degrees) & she does not have a blanket (which disturbs her when she moves during sleep, so I dress her in long sleeves and pants). Alternatively, I put her in a dark room with a fan. It seem to work too. She's getting better with napping. I think the trick for her is to soothe her to sleep before she starts to cry, i.e. at signs of yawning. She still takes very short naps, e.g. 15min - 30min, but it is a big improvement over last week!

I am taking care of my baby myself. I introduced the spring cot to my baby when she was two months old. But the electric cradle has given me more time to do the household chores and to rest when my baby is resting.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/5307767.jpg]

Package including:

- 1 unit of Polar electronic cradle / automatic cradle

- 1 unit of Power adapter

- 7 Springs specially designed for Polar Electronic Baby Cradle (stated up to 16kg)

- User manual & Spring guide

I am selling the model with a Timer which is not for sales in Kiddy Palace. Polar brand is more recognized and highly recommended than other brands from my survey with the sales assistants.

Selling at $145. All sets already QC.

Please contact me at my email: [email protected]

Back