Advice Needed-Mount Alvernia or Thomson Medical Centre

Dr H K Ho. My bb No.2 was delivered by him this Feb. No need painkiller at all. I started walking around the ward in less than 4h after delivery (w/0 epi). He's fantastic though his charges are quite high. Wished I had gone to him for my first pregnancy!

WCY,

I'm not too sure but I know one whom you should NOT go to (I had a terrible recovery because of her). Tried to PM you but can't. Can you activate it?

Mt A is good at least to me. I have delivered both of my childen there. I stay in the Deluxe Suite. Lived there like a Queen. Beautiful view- overlooking McRitchie Reservoir! The nurses and Sister are great!! The Sister made her round at the labour room and prayed for me when I am in labour. Very comforting and personal. Dun judge the old building outlook. INside it is great!

My gynae from Mt.A is Dr Lim Yuin Wen at Medical Block B of Mt.A. She is a woman of few words during consultations. She is ok if u dun mind about that. But when comes to labour time, she is more warm. Both my children are delivered by her. She will also arrange a Pediatrician (u can choose from her list of PDs who served at Mt.A) to visit you after u delivered. You can see her website: http://www.wenlimclinic.com/

My gynae is Dr YW Lim from Mt A oso. indeed she's not the chatty type and some may find her quite "cold", but end of the day i find that she does her job very well and this is what i need from her. her clinic gals are attentive and good oso. overall good service from them.

Ya.. I initially not used to her "cold" manner. Sometimes ask her questions, she gave very vague answers. But like u said, at the end of the day, my children are safely delivered by her. That's wat matters most.

This is my personal experience with the above female gynae. My elder son was delivered by her. The recovery was bad. For the entire first week, I couldn't sit at all for my meals. I couldn't even walk without breaking into cold sweat initially. Was on painkiller for a few days too.

I didn't know it was due to her stitching until I went to Dr HK Ho for my second pregnancy. He could see how bad the scar was and understood why I wanted a change of doc.

If you've read my earlier message, I was walking around the ward within hours after delivering my younger boy and I didn't need any painkiller. It was such a great difference!

Even my son's PD's kids were delivered by him. One of the nurses at Mt A actually said: Dr Ho is expensive but he's worth it.

Hi meilinbigfoot, ur first pregnancy is natural or C-section? ur BB is big? Hoe abt ur second pregnancy? Natural or C-section?
After wat u have said, I recall that I have the a simliar experience as you! My first BB is thru C-section and BB is big. My recovery is TERRIBLE too and the scar from my stitches are really bad. My stitches got infected very badly. I dunno whether is it bec I did not take care of my wound properly or her skills are bad. I suffer badly. For almost 1 month plus, I hardly move around properly and on top of that, my hubby got to clean and wash my wound everyday!! While washin for me, my hubby said can see my stitches inside the wound, i.e. meaning the wound open up slightly!
But then my second delivery, it is a breeze..by her too.. But this time is thru Natural. Everything ok. Can walk within hours after delivery. Life, as compared to my first pregnancy, is so much easier!! Thk God! I recovered fast too. Not much problem with the stitches. This time round, she did a good job.So, I really dunno how to conclude her skills.

Oh no, Babymoon, it must have been a nightmare!

Both are natural. But the funny thing is when I went back to her clinic for post-natal checkup, she said she had to remove the stitches. It was so painful that while waiting for the cab, I fainted and was wheeled to the A&E.I thought nowadays, we don't need to remove the stitches...

I've heard from another mummy who had a similar experience as yours. After the C-section by her, the wound was infected, healing was bad and there was an ugly scar. She's even considering plastic surgery.

As for my sister who went to 2 different gynaes for 2 pregnancies, both C-section, the second recovery was a breeze. She was already very well within a week. The first one was bad and the scar was also very ugly. In fact, the second gynae gotta remove the extra skin on the original wound before sewing up.

When it comes to gynae, I need one who's consistently good. So far, many of my friends have gone to him and he has proven that he's good.

Ya.. I also thot was weird that why got to remove stitches.. I thot they should use those that melt automatically. I wanted to ask her but then I look at her cold expression then dun feel like asking liao. Dr Ho used which kind?

Anyway, on the contrary to ur experience,for my post natal checkup after my second delivery, she removed my stitches and I felt better. Without removing it, I walk quite painful.

For me, I have not much of an option when comes to female gynae in Mt.A. In fact, I think she is the only one?! Actually, she was intro to me by my family doctor who has 3 children successfully delivered by her. So she recommend me to her since I want Mt.A and a female gynae...

In fact, I find that her fees are quite expensive too. U mean Dr Ho's one more ex?!

NOw, I am thinking to remove my piles.. should I go back to her to remove .. mm..

Female gynae, Mt A... the same 2 reasons why I ended up with her. Sigh... terrible choice.

For Dr Ho, he didn't need to remove stitches. He's quite well-known for his stitches. When I asked him, he said he had been researching on how to stitch so that we heal as quickly and painlessly as possible. And yes, he's much more expensive.

Actually, after my No.1, my mum kept complaining that Dr Lim was not that skillful but I kept telling her that it could be me or because the bb was big.

But when I saw my friends under Dr Ho recovering almost immediately even with bigger babies, I decided to change.

One of my colleagues found him very cold but I told her that for me who've gone through a nightmare, he's God sent! Can't imagine going through the same ordeal again.

As for your piles, maybe you wanna find out from Dr Ho how much it'll cost? I really have not much faith in her...

Does this Dr Ho has a website? Which block is his clinic?I read back that u just delivered ur Bb in feb. Mine in Mar! Quite close.
happy.gif
girl or boy? My first is a boy and second one is a gal.

I'm not sure if he has a website. It's at Medical Block B, Level 2. From the lift, turn left, then turn left, walk all the way. It's at a corner. His clinic no. is 63538833.

Really envy you... 1 boy and 1 gal... I've got 2 boys so I'm the Queen at home. Ha! Hopefully I'll have a girl for my next pregnancy.

Oh.. So his clinic is just below Dr Lim. Is he very old, chatty or quiet? How's Dr Ho scanning pics? Clear ? Or the same standard as Dr Lim?

Sorry. It's Block A. The one next to the A&E. He's in his 50s. Not the chatty time. Matter-of-fact type. His scanning is good. He showed me one 3D that he did. It was very clear. Dr Lim did one for my elder boy and we decided never to do that again, thinking that all 3Ds are not clear and not worth the $.

Hi everyone,

Anyone has babies delivered by Doctor Phua Soo Mear (Senior Consultant Obstetrician & Gynaecologist) before? He has a clinic near Kovan MRT....He can do delivery at either TMC or Mt A.

Hi any mummies,

would like to know the rough total bill of Mt A. With C-section with Epd.
Please PM me.

Hi,

Never stay in the 4 bedded in Mt A. For my 1st delivery, I was in a single room and life was good. Enjoyed my stay very much. But The clinic nurse booked the wrong ward for me this time and I ended in the 4 bedded. I was unable to change to my choice of single room, due to over whelming deliveries that day. I was even willing to pay more for the deluxe or downgrade to 2 bedded, there was just no vacancy. With no choice, I had to take the 4 bedded.

The exp was really bad. The nurses and assistants were inexp, insensitive, irresponsible and kind of stupid too. From the time I stepped into the St Elizabeth Ward, nothing was right. Blood pressure taken at the elbow, breakfast not served, medicine not given, visitors came at 5 am and 3 gen having pinic in the room when the patient next to me was having her c-sect, food served wrongly even after being told 2x, asked me to pass urine aft delivery so that they can measure the amt with pads still tied on me, told me to wash up with the urine collected still below me, etc... And I had to tell them what to do instead.

In the end, I had to purposely create a fuss so that they will try to upgrade for me,even that was 2 bedded.

So if you want to deliver in Mt A, the only ward to be in is Our Lady Ward, which has 2 bedded and above.

oh..I dunno that the experience at 4 bedded and 2 bedded ward was that bad. For me, my first delivery was at single room then the second delivery I wanted single room but dun have so I upgraded to the Deluxe room. The experience for both was great and the view in the deluxe room was great!! Overlooking Mcritchie reservoir.

anyone got pictures of mt alvernia rooms? cannot seem to find any online.

what is the difference between the single bedded & deluxe?

Deluxe has better view (overlooking McRitchie at a distance though), bigger room, LCD TV , bigger bathroom, a small fridge, give newspaper to read and of course more expensive,as compared to a single bedded. I have stayed in both b4.

usually around which stage of the pregnancy then you all will go for hospital tour?

I trying to decide which hospital I want to go to before deciding which gynae to go to. Cos I feel that the treatment you get from the people there also depends alot on which gynae you are under.

i gave birth at Mt A on Dec 8. Experience was terrible.

Admitted at 4am+, midwife who attended to me was very fierce. When she wanted to check my dilatation, she scolded me, "Mummy, dun fight with me" when my muscles were tensed up.

Was left in the delivery ward with my helpless hubby and crying baby for more than an hour after delivery, without anyone attending to us. No one came to help me breastfeed my crying baby...was told it was a busy day and they are shorthanded.

Single ward was all taken up despite me faxing in my admission form the day before. No deluxe room either. Was forced to stay in a 2-bedder, and will be changed to single ward the next day. But this never came through...

6-hourly painkillers were not given to me promptly, it was 12 hours after the 1st dose then I was offered a 2nd dose...

In the mi ddle of the nite, I pressed the bell, the nurse came in and woke up the other patient who was sleeping and asked if she was ok. The patient was startled, said ok and the nurse left. No one attended to me...

On the day of discharge, I requested for a wheelchair. One of the nurses pushed the wheelchair over to my ward and left it at the door and left. My sis had to collect the wheelchair which we assumed was for me...

Terrible terrible... i can just go on and on.... never mt A again...

s1erra: your case sounds terrible! Did u lodge a complaint??

I gave birth at thomson medical centre. Service was really good and the nurses are generally helpful and prompt.

Prisc, maybe u are right abt the Gynae thing.. I am not sure. S1erra, For me, I gave birth twice at Mt A and the service was excellence. Maybe it's the ward type that determine the treatment. For the first time, I stay in single bedded and the second one in a deluxe .

S1erra, it is such a bad experience! I'm sorry to hear that you went through all that. I sincerely hope that it's a one-time off incident.

For both my boys, I received excellent services at Mt Alvernia. The sister, nurses, cleaners have been very helpful and caring.

You must give feedback to Mt Alvernia regarding what you had gone through.

I deliver by twin boys by C-sect at TMC. Had asked for single room but they gave me a converted 2 bedded room.

The service at TMC is great. I had a great experience there.

i stayed in Mount A last aug 4 bedder... service was really good... though there are visitors all day round but i find it quite ok la since my hubby not there to accompany me.. i can kaypo abt other ppl...:p,.. make friends with other bed mummies..i stayed at 371C.. which i forgot what the ward name is.. but its the nearest to the nursery which is so convenient for me to visit my bb...:p

Nurses are bery kind and helpful.. i wasn't at my bed when my gynae visited me to check on me.. hehe.. i was at the nursery...when i came back to my bed, the nurse told me and reminded me when my gynae will come and make his rounds...Also, after i delivered, it's past midnight, i couldn't sleep cos the delivery is too overwhelming experience for me .. kind of still exicted.. hehe.. so i ask for milo and also ask can i watch TV.. the nurse gave me milo but advise me not to on TV politely and kindly as me to close my eyes to rest a while.. which i think ok la.. since so late liao.. my neighbours are still asleep,, so i waited till early morning which the nurse came and ask me to urine (done in bed) and change my pad for me... she is very gentle and very fast in the whole process...

next morning i can go toilet again and the nurse want me to go urine again to measure... then she showed me how to tie the maternity pad and how to clean my wound... i was slow la.. but she very patient with me .. hehe

so my overall experience with Mt A is very good!!.. now with my number 3, my choice is Mt A also.. hehe... this last one i wanna try 2 bedder...^_^

i have good experience with Mt A too. Service was prompt and good. The nurses was kind, warm and helpful. So i will go bk to Mt. A for my number two. Oh by the way i stayed in 2-bedder in Our Lady Ward.

hihi.. Yasminelala..may i know how much you pay for the 2 bedder?.how many days you stay?... c-section or normal delivery?

Thumbs up for TMC. All the staffs esp in the labour ward are veri friendly and they'll keep encourging you.

I stayed at TMC maternity ward when i had a car accident during 35 weeks pregnant. (cos my gynae's clinic is in TMC) but during my actual delivery 1 mth later, i delivered in Mt A. I chose Mt A because my fren who was also preg went thru the tour & she said it was better than TMC in terms of outlook and facility. but seriously i still think TMC better.

i stayed in a 2 bedded at Mt A. Okie, the experience at Delivery Suite was very gd. nurses were wonderful.. but once i was transferred to my ward, i realized for 2 bedded, it was super cramped. my bed was near the door and whenever my neighbour's visitors came, the 1st thing they did was to peep thru my curtain. i guess it's because they dunno which bed is which so gotta peep. when both me and my neighbour's visitors came, the whole room was packed! i wld advise mummies to choose a 1-bedded if u are staying at Mt A.

when i had to call the nurse, they will take very long to come, sometimes i had to press the bell twice before they arrived. very frustrating because the nurses seemed so busy. imagine i had to pee on a bedpan, they asked me to call them once i'm done but they took ages and i was stuck on my bed with the bedpan.. they also did not help to clean me but only passed me a serviette! how to wipe with a rough serviette when there are stitches there??! lactation consultant only came once during my stay and took less than 10 min to teach me to breastfeed..

i had to pee in the toilet and show the nurse the next day. i assumed she will wait for me outside but when i was done, the nurse was gone. i felt so paiseh because my neighbour wanted to use the toilet. i had to ask her to wait till i got the nurse.

on the day i was to discharge, i went to the nursery to settle some paperwork. there was only 1 nurse and she was feeding a baby. my baby was crying so badly but she had no hands to attend to her. end up i requested to carry my gal first. when i returned after settling her, the nurse was still feeding and another bb was crying very badly for quite long. i find the bb very pitiful.. plus he had rashes on his face so i went to sayang him instead!

as for TMC, the service was great. that time i was on drip and had to pee on a bedpan. the nurse waited till i was done and she cleaned up for me. she checked on me every hour. i was also staying at 2-bedded that time with another mummy who just delivered. whenever she called the nurse, they attended to her very fast, and after that they even came to check on me at the same time. lactation consultants also visited her daily...

nxt round, i will choose TMC. I find it really silly of me to choose Mt A when my gynae is in TMC. And oh, the food at TMC is nicer!

like sweetkiss, i was warded into TMC maternity ward twice in the course of my pregnancy. for actual delivery i checked into mt a, my choice of hospital.

on the contrary, i thought mt a's overall service was better than tmc. at tmc i was mainly left alone and nurse took a long time to come. i was in a 4-bedder. nurses werent chatty and i didnt have the 'good feeling' about them. one nurse was quite rude as well.

on 14 jan 2011 my water broke around 2am in the morning and my hb drove me to mt a. upon reaching there i was guided from the start and there was no confusion. i was sent to delivery ward. however i wasnt dilated and pitocin was administered to me. because my baby's head was blocking the water bag flow was very minimal. however i dont know why but a few hours later my water bag flow increased tremendously and i called for nurse and they gave me bed pan. nurses constantly came in to check on me and my bed pan and when it was full they changed it. kept asking me if i was feeling alright and smiled at me and said good morning. very polite. my delivery end up in emerg c sect(i dont knw i read from where mt a has high rate of c sect) as i still was stuck at 3cm for 11 hours and water low. i wasnt prepared as i thought i will be having natural birth but there was on filipino nurse who reassured me and comfort me. i was crying then. epi also only worked on my right so my left side was in pain. c sect went smoothly i wasnt concious as under GA cos epi dont work. the nurses at surgery room i dont really like cos they were emotionless and when i woke up i was in pain and the nurses just gave me cold stare and asked me to try to shift to the other bed to wheel me away.

in the 4 bedder room nurses were on the ball, call them they come. nice helpful LC, food awesome. when i feel uncomfortable cos pad full, the nurse come and help me clean up while i just lie on the bed. i go toilet the nurse went in with me though i was capable of walking already. felt like a queen that when i was discharged i felt quite sad cos no butler service at home.. i would go there again.

This is my horrible experience with Thomson Medical Centre. As of now, I'm still waiting for a decent reply from them.

I delivered my baby on 23rd April 2011, past 11pm and by the time I was wheeled up to the ward to rest, it was already midnight. While I did not get the free upgrade from a 4-bedded ward to a 2-bedded ward, my husband decided to pay for the upgrade so that I could recuperate better.
I was sent to Ward 628 where there was no other patient.. After transferring me to the Bed B, the nurses left without saying anything. My husband then went to make use of the restroom inside the ward. Soon after he went in, Nurse Noorhaisah came into my room. Upon seeing the restroom door closed, she raised her voice at me and said, “Tell your husband he’s not allowed to use the toilet here! It’s for patients only!!” and walked off before I could say anything. I thought this was totally uncalled for because firstly, there was no other patient occupying the ward and my husband and I were the only ones in the room at that time. Secondly, neither Nurse Noor nor any other staff had told us in advance about this rule. I later got to know that this rule was implemented because there had been an incident whereby the husband of another patient walked in on another patient. I could reason with that and would definitely agree with it. However, what I could not tolerate was that Nurse Noor chose to shout at me when she failed to conduct the appropriate orientation prior to leaving the room earlier.

Staying in a 2-bedded ward meant that my husband could not stay over with me and thus, when he left at around 12.45am, he changed the temperature of the air-con to 27degrees out of fear that I would feel cold in the night. However, I woke up at around 1.30am, feeling very warm. I then pressed the call bell to request for assistance. When I heard the door being opened, I apologized for the inconvenience and before I could put forth my request to have the temperature changed, Nurse Noor, said, “Why ah?” very loudly to me. When I explained that I felt warm, and required her to adjust the temperature for me, she simply said, “Ok” and walked off. Throughout this brief interaction, I must highlight that the entire conversation took place with Nurse Noor standing at the door while I was on the bed next to the window.

My hormones were probably haywire after my near 14 hours labour process and I began to feel very cold at around 3am. I had no choice but to press the call bell and Nurse Noor appeared at the door again. I apologized that I was feeling cold this time and requested her to make the room warmer for me. Again, without saying a thing, she walked off after presumably changing the temperature for me. After around half an hour, I was still feeling very cold and while I felt bad at pressing the call bell repeatedly, I had no choice but to do so. This time, another nurse appeared. She came closer but not to my bedside. I told her that I was feeling very cold and requested for an extra blanket. She said, “Ok” and walked away. She returned soon but it was not a blanket that she brought with her. Instead, it was 2 bed sheets folded together and she simply threw it on my body and walked off! I later got to know that this nurse was from the nursery and that she happened to walk by my room when I pressed the call bell and so, responded to me.

I do not understand what happened either but even with the extra bed sheets on me, I still felt uncomfortably cold and so, had to get the nurses to change the temperature for me again. I was too uncomfortable by then to bother about who responded to my call.

At 5.30am, I began to tremble badly from the cold. Out of desperation, I pressed the call bell again and Nurse Noor appeared once again at the doorstep. I explained that I was still feeling terribly cold and was trembling. She remarked that the temperature was already set to 30degrees and if that was the case, she would just switch off the air-con for me. I agreed and she just left my door open after presumably switching off the air-con. It was a most horrible night I ever had. I continued to shiver non-stop till almost 7am and was just yearning for my husband to come so that he could assist me. I was on the verge of tears because I felt so vulnerable and at the mercy of the nurses since I was confined to bed.

On the day of my discharge, I was asked to fill in a feedback form. Unknown to me, Nurse Manager, Sister Loke Lai Leng read my feedback on the spot and proceeded to attend to me. She did not bring up the matter and since it did occur to me that she would have read the feedback form, I did not say much to her when she asked me about my stay in the hospital. Understandably, I was too tired and anxious to get home.

I received a phone call from Sister Loke after I was discharged. She apologized for the bad experience I had and requested me to share more details with her so that she could further investigate the matter. I shared about the details with her and she noted them down.
During our last phone conversation on 4th May 2011, Sister Loke shared her findings with me. She expressed that while Nurse Noor initially denied having raised her voice at me, she later agreed that she could have handled the situation in a better manner. However, that and an apology from Sister Loke was all that she could offer to me. I was not satisfied with the resolution and explained to Sister Loke that I felt strongly about it since I paid for the upgrade to a 2-bedded. Had I been given the free upgrade, I could have at least consoled myself that the service could have been compromised.
Sister Loke expressed empathy and explained that any other resolution was beyond her scope and told me that she would inform her superior, Sister See, the Assistant Director of the Nursing team, to get in touch with me. However, I did not hear from Sister See after more than a week and so, I contacted Sister Loke on 13th May, 2.20pm. Sister Loke expressed ignorance at the lack of a call from Sister See and told me that she would find out for me. Sister Loke called me back at 8.30pm on the same day and simply told me that Sister See said that she can’t oblige to my request and so, she did not call me back. This is simply ridiculous to me! Firstly, I had not put up any formal request and so, I do not know what is it that she cannot oblige to. Secondly and most importantly, as a superior, shouldn’t she have the basic courtesy or professionalism to at least give a call to the unhappy patient? Sister Loke was unable to answer my queries and since I understand the limitations of her position, I informed her that I would pursue the matter myself.

In all, my whole experience with the nurses at Level 6 is nothing short of a nightmare and since even the Assistant Director of the Nursing team cannot be bothered to return a phone call.

hi mommies.. i delivered my gal in Mt A this April. Love the atmosphere n nurses there.. cant wait for my next pregnancy to arrive so that i can go back there again.. (haha abit siao i noe..)

hi mommies, is the service at Mount A 4 bedded terrible? care to share about how much is the cost for those deliver at Mount A? May I ask do we have medisave deduction for doctor as well? cos from Thomson medical website, there are medisave for hospital and doctor. I am choosing between these 2.

Back