Advice Needed - Illness/Sickness in Childcare

hi snowball

i'm gg back 2 work in Jan...i've planned 2 let my son go CC fullday, then my mum take care of my #2...b4 my #2, my mum been taking care of my son w/o any help...my mum says if one kid she can handle...

so actually my concern is when my son is sick, cannot go CC fullday, & if the illness nds lots of days 4 my son 2 recover & i can't b taking so many days leave 2 look after him, then mi & my mum will hve problem...

my hb says when i return 2 work, then judge how my son condition is...& how the situation is...then decide wat 2 do...

i agree nt easy 2 tend 2 so many kids, especially if the age gap nt big...

ya sadly my hong mok came back...
sad.gif
... although is nt a deadly illness but it really bothers mi a lot...the med tat i mention tat has antihistamines effect do really helps 2 clear everything off & aso help 2 ease the itch...mi intend 2 take one everynite...but Kash mention tat antihistamines will have side effects, it is better not to take for long term. & the side effect will be after continous taking of the same med, the body will no longer respond to it anymore. so the med will deem to be ineffective...

anyway i'll take 4 a wk & stop & c if it really come back, if it really helps, shall seek doc advice whether izzit wise 2 take tis med as a long term med.....

thanks, my mum been taking tis Hua with Crysanthenmum tea but she bought those packet one, later will make one & drink....
happy.gif

snowball,

no worries
happy.gif
my hb is nagging me that I am giving my gal too many supplements and that's why she is getting sick! what logic? I am giving her multivit, cod liver oil and sambucol. hiaz... juz ordered childlife colostrum powder...waiting for its arrival...hope will see some improvements...

SM,

my colleague also mentioned abt the same med...ketotifen or something...she said her kids seem better after taking it. I have forgotten to ask my PD.... Will be bringing my son for his 4th dose of pneumococcal jab end of next week...will ask him then...

err...dun worry abt the antihistamines...continous consumption is like a few mths taking it everyday... so u shd be fine
happy.gif
when my gal had hive attack (only once) early this year, i let her take it until she fully recover.... no worries leh... unless u taking for a prolonged period of time.

yah, my mum went almost crazy when she was alone handling my gal and my boy (coz gal was sick and cannot attend CC) in August and Sept. Maid only came for 1 mth.... but hor, funny thing is even with maid, my mum still seems stress and blur when she handles both my kids.

For me, I did hired a maid for myself but only for 2 mths. I really dislike having a maid staying in my house and I have to "manage" her. So now, the arrangement is better
happy.gif
the maid is not managed by me and doesn't stay with me! hooray!
happy.gif

hi kash

ok tks..
happy.gif
...can safely take it & c how...

oh yr gal had hive attack har, u still remember wat med the doc gave? i tink my son aso kana once last yr, but tink his nt as bad as mine...but my mum still remember it & say the GP we saw gave med once & he recovered quite fast...can't recall wat kind of med he gave...tink mine aso hive, might b chinese knw as fong mok ba...

as i mention my son now having cough, actually a mth ago he aso started w runny nose, then cough, then HFMD, then diarrhoea...pray tat tis routine wouldn't start...tat it will stop at cough...my son when cough, he can cough till vomit...& initially can hear is dry cough, then after taking the cough med, will hear some phlegme when he cough...now the cough affecting his & our sleep cos he'll cough till vomit & we hve 2 clean him up etc...previously did mention the vomit 2 PD but he says cos they dunno how 2 spit out the phelgme so will vomit it out...so ask us 2 keep his milk light & nt feed him too full lor...the previous round of runny nose & cough, we visited the PD twice, oni the second rd then he gave us mild antibiotic which really cure my son finally....dunno tis time can he b cured w just the normal med...sometimes i do wonder shd i give him the cough med or let his own body fight? as afraid it'll led 2 tis cough till vomit situation...

actually tis was the second type of sensitive med the PD gave, the last round of attack, cos my son din recover, PD gave another stronger sensitive med, desloraatadine, whereby PD said if tis din help him, will resort 2 spray, which is even stronger med...thank god, he gave the antibotics, which ultimately healed him...but i tried nt 2 let him eat tis med, but uses ketotifen 2 heal him first...so far still ok, hope tis time rd he can recover soon...

*sigh*...really, ever since i've given birth in Sep, my son never been healthy for more than a wk...

probably the maid is still new, yr mum hve 2 teach her & at the same time look after yr kids...one thing abt maid is tat if the maid nt gd, end up u'll hve 2 "managed them" & nt they helping us...

hi SM,

my gal had pretty minor hives attack once. She was prescribed clormine by the PD. if urs is not better, suggest u consult another GP to see whether he can provide 2nd opinion?

hhmm...ur boy's cough sounds serious leh.. my gal normally has phlegmy cough but nvr vomit before...also hardly disturb sleep. She is on ventolin puff via the aerochamber. It is really much better as it opens up their airways. Has ur boy tried that before? I can even "puff" her when she is sleeping as I give her 2 puffs 4 times a day. The last puff normally at abt 12midnite which she is already asleep.

it must be tough for u to handle a baby and a sick toddler. hope ur boy has not spread to ur baby..... r u still breastfeeding? try to TBF as long as u can as i can personally see the difference in both my kids.

My gal i gave BM for 5 mths only and not total...maybe 80%. I gave my boy 100% BM for > 10 mths...and partial till almost 12 mths. When my gal spreads to her didi. if didi caught it, he recovers much faster than my gal..... so i think must be the amt of BM he drank loh....

hi kash

4 my case, i've visited 2 different doc, each 2 times...one of them said is hong mok, the other says might b allergy or skin infection...been continuously taking tis antihistamines med for 2 nites...each day one tablet, so far so gd, keeping my finger cross, will take it till next wk, then stop & c will it come back, then will consult the doc whom gave mi tis med 2 c izzit ok 4 mi 2 continue as i'm currently still breastfeeding...

ya i'm still breastfeeding, one thing abt breastfeeding is tat if sick a lot of med cannot eat...one of the doc wanna give mi a stronger med 4 my rash but cos of breastfeeding, din give...i dunno how long i'll BF, try 2 last as long as possible....but i'm tinking if tis rash still persist when i return 2 work whereby it'll affect my sleep & work cos of the itch, i might really stop BF when my bb turns 6mths or even eariler...

cos my son stomach is nt tat deep, can't take in lots of thing at one go..hve 2 hve frequent meals, previously when he's beri full & sit in a car, he might vomit...so tat might b the reason when he cough, he'll vomit...

my son tat time i breastfeed him till abt 9 mths..but all the time his nite feed is on FM...oni day time on BM...really b4 he turns one, he seldom get sick, even if sick, nt tat serious one..a few days recover...but after he turns 18mths till now...he's been sick, but more frequent is when my bb is born....dunno izzit cos sub-conciously, my son having tis illness 2 get our attention/2 ask us 2 nt let him go CC....

thank god, i hve my mum 2 help mi out so still better....

my son never tried the puff b4, but PD did mention abt spray if his sensitivity gets serious & med couldn't help...hope it won't resort 2 tat, & tat med can ease his cough...

hi SM,

how was ur weekend? How's ur boy's cough now? better i hope?

does ur mum come over to your house to help u? or u have to send ur son and bb over to her place daily?

how's ur hives attack? I hope better liao....it is normally due to allergy leh...so if possible, try to find out what u r allergic to...

Hi SM,

How is your hive attack? Cured already? I heard b4 that hives attack can also be due to stress...learn to relax abit, tho' I know its not easy to handle 2 young kids.

How is your son now? Is he back to school yet? You still have 1 mth to phase-in your son to CC before you go back to work. PD did mention to me before that a child can be sick for up to 1 yr to catch all sorts of "new" viruses when they start CC. One of my colleagues was sharing with me a few weeks back that her son was sick quite frequently in the 1st yr in CC. But, miraculously, he was seldom sick from 2nd yr onwards. Perhaps, its because the body grow stronger to fight those viruses which tried to attack again.

When my gals are sick, I usually take leave to take care of them (at least in the 1st few days) in order not to tire my MIL out. I am considered very lucky as I have very pro-family bosses and also very helpful colleagues to help out in my absence.

Hi Kash,

U have to be careful when you handle your maid. They know how to play things in their favour. I intend to do away with my maid when my #2 is fully settled into fullday care. Currently, still on queue. So, I am starting her with 3-hr PG prog (same as here jie jie) come Jan. Actually, I am also abit worried as she is more prone to infection as compared to her jie jie. Now, I am starting to give her multivitamin every other day to boost her immunity.

hi kash/snowball

thanks 4 yr concern....really glad 2 hve u gals 2 listen & share & advise mi on these issues...thanks...
happy.gif

my son has recovered frm his cough over the wkend...but these two days when he sleeps, can hear frm his breathing like a lot of phlegm...previously occasionally can hear frm his breathing like snoring, but now like louder...other than tat, he dun hve runny nose or cough, so intend 2 leave things as it is...

then on sun his stools become soft & a bit watery, & in total pass motion 3 times, we got a bit worried...we realised might b the bun we gave him...cos previously we tend 2 buy him bun then tat time he was having diarrhoea, we aso gave him & he kept on passing motion so decided 2 stop & oni stick 2 porridge & c how..things really did improved, so stopped 4 a period of time, now thinking his condition improved, so fri bought bun 4 him & sun his stools became like tat...so stopped giving him bun & these two days his stools is normal & his frequency the max is 2 times...thank god..

as 4 my hives, since last thur i've been taking one tablet of the antihistamines (itch med) every nite & it never came back...2nite i'll stop 2 take one & c if it really comes back tmr, if so will seek doc advise whether can continue 2 take it as a long term basis....cos of tis i lost lot of weight...last tue went 2 visit my gynae, my weight was b4 i was pregnant w my son (abt 3 yrs ago)...gynae was worried might b other causes...but i told her cos of my son & my own illness tat might b the cause of it....whenever the attack came, i couldn't eat much, one meal can last three meals....cos of the itch tat makes mi lose appetite...hope tis time the rash really dies down...

last wk my son been attending CC but oni half day, we'll pick him up at abt 1pm...probably next or following wk, will place him longer hrs...keeping my finger cross abt his sickness, oni abt a mth 2 go b4 i return 2 work...hope he has catch all sort of "new" virus now, then when i return 2 work, there'll b fewer "new" virus 4 him 2 catch...if really tat's the case, he still hve half a yr 2 go b4 he reaches 1 yr of CC...

ya i agree w snowball abt having supportive colleagus & bosses...currently i hve quite understanding supervisor, just tat dunno will she leave us soon cos i'm aware tat she's nt beri happy w other colleagues & director...hope she'll stay as long as possible..
happy.gif

2day i just sent my gal 4 her first vacination...cos of my son kept getting sick, i'm worried abt my gal so i gave her Pneumococcal vacination as well...tat time my son i oni took it when he was 1 yr old...tinking of giving my son chickenpox vacination as well..tat time tink tat chickenpox nt tat serious illness but on second tot, better nt cos he'll b beri cranky & with my #2 ard...dun wan her 2 catch it frm her bro...but now he just recovered frm so many sickness, so hve 2 wait till he's much much better then go 4 it..

4 mi, every sun we'll bring the kids over 2 my mum's place & mi & my hb will stay at my mum's place over the wkday till fri nite then we'll bring them hm...my hb will then go back 2 our own hse one/two wkdays 2 clean our hse b4 we go back on fri...cos i still hve a younger sis who's still schooling so my mum nd 2 tend 2 her, so she can't come over our place & stay...but my mum suggest when my sis started 2 go poly the following yr, whereby most of the poly r nearer 2 my hse, then she can stay at my place over the wkday instead of us travelling...anyway still hve a yr 2 go...shall decide then...

so kash/snowball, how's yr children?

snowball,

me no maid...only have a PT maid who comes every weekend for 4 hours to do some cleaning and ironing for me. The FT maid is hired by my parents, stay with them, managed by them
happy.gif

SM,

ur hives attacks sound quite bad...really that itchy? poor thing...hope u have gotten rid of them for good
happy.gif

I am quite pro -vaccine kind of person, so I have given my gal her 1st pnuemococcal jab when she was 6 weeks old! she completed all 4 when she turned 1YO. had her Chicken pox done at 1YO too i think...and that time i was still preggie with my son. My son turned 1YO 3 weeks back.... will be bringing him for his 4th Pnuemococcal jab tomorrow during my lunch hours too...

I also brought both kids for flu jab when they were abe 6/7 mths.

I think perhaps the bun is not clean? or ur boy's stomach is more sensitive? what do u think? my gal opp from u....always hard stools we have to feed papaya all the time and her palms are now rather "orange"
sad.gif

Hi SM,

Your boy must have eaten something unclean. It happens quite often in kids. That is why, CC cleaniness is one of the top criterion when we scout for CC.

My kids are ok, except the elder gal get a bit of runny nose this week. But, she is still active and eating well. Actually, like what Kash mentioned, you can consider to bring your son for flu jab. Kids need 2 jabs (1 mth apart) below 9 yo. I find it helps. Nowadays can see that my kids can take the flu virus quite well - no extremely high fever type & recovers within a week. I will bring them for H1N1 jab when HSA released the go-ahead for young kids.

The arrangement of you staying over at your mum's plc on weekdays sounds fine, so long as your kids do not have to travel everyday. My sister used to do that since she was preggy.

Hi Kash,

My kids both had their Chxpox jab at 16 mths (recommended by PD). My #2 took the 4-in-1 jab MMR/Chxpox (latest one in the mkt). Pneumococcal jab - So far, your kids taking this jab well? s

Hi kash/snowball

ya my rash when it comes, it really comes a lot, whole body kana...so it'll b beri itchy..as i mentioned i intend 2 stop on Tue nite but i chicken out cos i saw some similar red spots on my leg, worried it might come back so quickly take it...since i still hve 10 more tablets, might really stop the med on sun nite whereby i'll b at my mum's place, if anything, there's someone 2 help out...

i'm really at lost 2 my son illness...yest nite abt 11 plus pm, he started 2 vomit, we tot he's too full so vomit his food out...but no, he vomit non-stop, even drink water, he'll vomit water out...then later followed by diarrhoea again...tinking he can't take even water, dun wan wait till morning then bring him 2 c PD, quickly took taxi & bring him 2 KKH....*sigh*...tot he's okie le....now another illness...really never ending..i really dunno wat 2 do...doc at KKH gave him vomit med through anus, but doc never gave us any antivomit 2 take at hm saying it's nt suitable 4 his age but can oni give one dosage...then give us 3 days med 4 diarrhoea which is wat my first PD gave previously, tink the med nt really stop diarrhoea but helps 2 improve his stomache...but oni 1 type of med...dunno tis time rd how long he'll hve diarrhoea...*sigh*

really dunno izzit CC or tat he haven't really recover but suffer another rd of attack...but he's at CC for almost 3 mths b4 he kana diarrhoea...

tink my son stomache more sensitive now...but i knw all along he has beri shallow stomache, can't take in lots of food but hve 2 take small but frequent feed....& he'll vomit when too full upon taking car or when the car tat's too bouncy... tat time i hve 2 wake up even at nite 2 make milk 4 him almost till 15 mths..

staying at my mum's place is okie but my hb been complaining abt my mum's place, abt her hse being untidy, cleaniness etc...actually cos my mum's place small, lots of ppl staying, so lots of things, so a bit messy but she mops & sweeps the flr everyday, & wkend will do some hse cleaning & tidying...i agree my mum a bit unorganise, so whole place seems messy...so with tis my hb quite concern abt his children....aso my hb dun like the way my mum handle my kids which i find is okie...when i'm having my second one, we did consider my in laws...but one thing abt my in laws is tat she's also helping my BIL takes care of their children which is of the same age as mine...& now she mention 2 us tat she can't help us look after our kids cos of her health issues...so she can oni look after my BIL kids...so tat's left w my mum...

now my son kept getting sick, cannot go 4 any vacination...been hoping 2 give him vacination b4 i return 2 work but dunno when he'll b really healthy 2 go 4 any jab....*sigh*....

Hi SM,

Oh dear, your boy really very poor thing. Actually, your boy at ard 2yo got anti vomit med. I remember PD give supporsitory to my #1 when she had vomitting when she was 1plus. I cannot remember what is that med name. For diarrhoea, you might like to try to give him hydralyte which you can get from Guardian Pharmacy. Ask the pharmacist on advice on dosage and do let the pharmacist know that your boy also has vomitting to confirm if he can take this. This helps to keep him hydrated with nurients given.

Some kids do have "shallow" stomach, like my BIL's daughter. So you gotta give him smaller and more frequent meals.

Actually, looking at your son's condition, you may have to put him off CC for a while for him to fully nurse back to his health.

Aiya...there is always conflict with old folks when they look after our kids. But, we still need their help, so gotta give and take. At least your mum is a great help to you with 2 young kids.

You really have to take care as you have to handle 2 young kids.

Hi snowball

so upset abt my son condition...dunno the doc at KKH said the antivomit nt suitable 4 young kids....as 4 the hydralyte u mention, KKH doc gave us brochure on my son condition, & inside did mention abt hydralyte but i tink my son might nt wan 2 take it...previous rd of diarrhoea, those med which r all powder form, it all smells nice, but my son refuse 2 take it, we hve 2 force or coax him then he take....in the brochure it says can give him rice water, or barley water 2 hydrate him...

& tat if he dun vomit in 8 hrs time, can give him porridge in small amt...or even milk in diluted form & in small amt aso...just now gave him milk, he aso din vomit, so shd b ok, oni his diarrhoea hve 2 monitor...tink now cannot give him any outside food 4 the time being le...dunno izzit the cake, past 2 days bought some 4 him, frm different places & yest he become like tat...

tis morning cos he kept vomit & diarrhoea, beri thirsty but he was given med at KKH couldn't hve any water 4 an hr, he cried for over an hr 4 water...no choice just hve 2 let him cry cos pacify him he aso dun wan...

as 4 CC, cos i'm returning 2 work in a mth plus time, worried if too long din go CC, he might nt wan...cos even now, everyday attend half day, every morning he'll still cry when attending CC but cry 4 a while oni....tat's y my mum was suggesting 2 let him attend half day 2 nurse him back b4 i return 2 work whereby he'll attend longer hrs...but who knw, now half day he still kana sickness...anyway tink 4 whole of next wk, even following wk (if his conidtion din improve)he might nt b attending CC cos hve 2 ctrl his diet...really headache how, when i return 2 work if he always kana sickness whereby nd longer period 2 recover...

really thank god i hve my mum 2 help mi...but then i can't rely on her 4ever, i hve 2 return 2 my own hse one day...the thing is when, my hb been wanting 2 return 2 our hse asap & look after them ourselves after work & nt stay at my mum's place...but i'm worried abt my #2 gg CC so early...anyway, still early 2 tell, shall c how...

SM,

oh dear, so sorry to hear about your son's condition again. My suggestion is to STOP him totally from CC, let his small body fully recover and regain back his normal immune system. U send him half day will also get exposed to the germs flying around...so no point really. My gal is now fully recovered but I am still keeping her at home for a few more weeks before sending back. It is sooooooooo wonderful that both my kids are not sick and healthy!! its a great feeling leh... so suggest if u can break ur boy from CC....then when you return to work, then send him again. If he cries, the most also a few days only...dun worry, they adapt very well. Previously i break my gal from CC for 3 weeks before, she nvr cry when she returned...she still smile at the teachers when they greeted her and opened her arms for teacher to carry.... u may be surprised by your boy too
happy.gif

Perhaps I can share with you my arrangement...

How come I can send both kids to my mum's place without much worry because my mum got a MAID...really, it solves the problem. I don't like to have a maid as I do not like to manage a stranger and have a stranger stays with me. So this solution fitted me PERFECTLY as the maid stays with my mum. So the maid helps my mum when I send my kids over during weekdays.

How my typical weekday goes now:
* I send both kids to my mum's house. My mum and maid will come downstairs and wait and pick them up so I dun have to waste time to park the car and bring them upstairs.
* If my gal goes back CC...i have specially selected a CC that is pretty near my mum's place (abt 5 min drive). Eg if I drive from my place to my mum's place, I will reach the CC first....so I leave my son in the car with hb, and I send my gal in. Then I will drive to my mum's place, drop my son... then later drop my hb off the nearby MRT station...then i go to work.
* at 5pm, most of the days my dad will pick my gal up after his work and bring her back to my parent's place. If my dad cant make it, I will go pick her up but I will be later...probably ard 5.30pm to 5.45pm (as I actually knock off work at 6pm!).... but i will call my mum to come down and bring her up. I will then go back my own home, mop the floor, shower, and hb will ta pao dinner and we will makan.
* then we go pick them up to go back our own place. THat's why sometimes we reached home only at 9pm!! Then we will spend some time with the kids and they will koon...

next morning...same story again...

NOt sure whether it works for you...but I stay not very far from my mum, but yet again, also not near... less than 15 mins drive.

Anyway, I am just sharing how I am handling now since we both are in somewhat of a similar situation...our kids age gap quite near...mine is 17 mths apart...now they are fighting over toys! heehehe...

Just FYI, when I gave birth to #2...i actually took unpaid leave for 2 mths or so...hence, I only return back to work after 6 mths....maybe u can consider taking some unpaid leave if it is possible.

Before the maid came, I also was very very worried when my gal falls sick and my mum has to handle both alone! I actually, will tapao lunch for my mum and go to her place during lunch break..i will feed my gal her lunch and then go back to work...then my dad normally come back around 5pm so he helps her when he is back too.... My dad was the one who couldn't handle it anymore and suggested a maid! heehee... anyway, he has always been against sending my gal to CC...and he still is now...

Hi Kash

Thanks 4 sharing yr arrangment...
happy.gif

i'm really beri lost 2 wat 2 do when i return 2 work...my mum lives beri far frm us, & we dun own a car so can't drive them hm everyday...

so every sun nite will hve 2 take cab & bring the kids over, then fri nite bring them back...then wkday will stay at my mum's place, one/two wkdays, my hb will go back our hse & tidy up the place...after i knock off, the earilest i can reach my mum's place is 6.30pm le...

my mum cannot handle two kids is bcos my son beri sticky 2 her, end up she can't even attend 2 my gal or can't cook/do hsework...tat's y i plan 2 send my son 2 CC....i knw CC will get sick often but din knw will b continous like now...who knw my son body cannot accept the life of CC...*sigh*...my BIL send his son 2 CC in Oct when he is 22mths, attending fullday, hmmm...till now haven't hear anything abt him falling sick, oni once runny nose but recovered beri fast...u aso started 2 send yr gal 2 CC when she's 22 mths but oni when she's 25mths old then she started falling sick non-stop?

but my worry is if i keep my son at hm 4 a mth b4 returning him 2 CC when i return 2 work, will he b back 2 the non-stop sickness?

really since the birth of my gal, my son was on medication 4 different sickness...

oh u took 2 mths unpaid leave...doubt my supervisor will b okie...cos my supervisor will b the oni person handling everything, w no help...which is of now...& she already says she so busy & will wait till i return 2 handle some of the nt so urgent things...but then unpaid leave can oni b taken if u dun hve any paid leave rite? yr boss beri gd, can allow u 2 take 2 mths unpaid leave...

tink my option tat i can tink of is a maid but then i'll stop my son frm CC till he's abt 4 yr old cos i doubt i can afford CC & maid....w maid my mum says she'll b able 2 handle both...probably can send him 2 PG cos i find my son really learn 2 tok after attending 2 CC...but then PG no subsidy & it cost abt $200 per mth rite? & dunno will he aso b sick if attend PG since CC he aso attend oni a few hrs & already sick so often...aso come next yr the CC says they gonna increase fees by $100....so will b $300...but probably he'll attend PG when he reaches 30 or older....

wat i really worry is maid issue...*sigh*...

oh so yr mum dun cooks 4 yr dad or u guys har...my mum still hve 2 cos she prefers hm cook food & there's my sis & bro nd 2 eat...if ask my bro 2 tabao everyday, doubt he'll wan 2 return hm le...cos wkend he'll go his gf hse stay, oni return 2 stay on wkday...

Hi

tis morning my son still vomits whereby water aso cannot retain in his stomach 4 long, so brought him 2 PD...

tis time PD gave antivomit med 2 b put into his body via anus...& oral med 4 him...

PD aso gave mi hydralyte 4 my son, he can take it quite well..2 days le, he din take any solid food...yest gave him milk twice, oni 1 rd he took it din vomit...we aso did try 2 give him watery porridge,an hr later all vomit out...2day no milk no porridge, oni give him hydralyte & barley water...*sigh*...

he sooo sleepy & cranky...no energy...sleep most of the time...tink cos no food...

tell u gals, my son dun like mi, he'll ask mi 2 go away & oni wan my hb or my mum...he'll select his preference even 4 ppl who bath or change him or even feed him, but then he'll nt choose mi...cos i always say "no" , dun give in 2 his request, my mum & hb will give in 2 him, so he likes them...

SM,

sorry to hear about your son..is he suffering from food poisoning? what did the PD say? U already stopped him from attending CC last week correct? I wonder what is the cause of his condition if he is staying at home... really must ask PD is there a need to further investigate his stomach etc.... if he went back to CC again last week that's why suffering from food poisoning again, i suggest you check whether the CC is clean or not leh...

toddlers are like that...they will "choose" pple. My #1 is the same. for her, she most of the time wants mummy...which is strange coz I am the one who says NO and cane her. But sometimes, she also will tell me she doesn't want me. well, we juz give in to her if we can...if not, I will take out the cane again. I have no choice leh...coz normally i am always rushing for time. and if she plays all these tantrums and nonsense, i dun have the patience. And the cane works for me so far...but whether is it a good method, i am not sure. But when she is good, I will make sure i sing her lots of praises and remind her I love her.

i hope u can find a solution. If your mum stays far from you, i think it is better for you to stay over during the weekdays...else, it is just not time efficient to travel to and fro everyday. Even if you invest in a car, if the drive 1 way is > 30 mins...i find it is not practical as well...a lot of time is wasted on travelling...

my mum also ta pao now that there is a maid! heehee... actually, she does offer to cook for us sometimes but i always reject. coz i find that i waste more time eating at her place. I eat downstairs faster....
happy.gif

yes, if you hire a maid,(if u want do it now as u need time to train her and u r going back to work!!!).... then stop ur boy from school for the time being. if you want your boy to learn more things, then u will have to squeeze to have both leh...hire maid and send him to CC or PG..... coz maid is in case ur boy falls sick and need to stay at ur mum's place.... if not, then u have to be prepared to take leave when he has to stay home.... really headache for you... u really have to prioritise what is more impt....

Hi SM,

Sorry to hear that your son is still vomitting. Kash is right, maybe there is really something not right with the CC's hygiene.

My experience from #1, during 1st 9 mths, the kids are very prone to infections. As I have mentioned in my earlier postings, she has been down on and off (for max. 1 week each time) with lotsa infections - HFMD, suspected H1N1, Herpes Virus, etc, etc.....I converted to fullday CC for almost 3mths now, so far so good, except for a bit of cough and runny nose, she has not been very ill. So, I guess, she has built up her immunity to fight most viruses now.

My #1 used to attend 3-hr PG class, cost is $280/mth (no subsidy). U can try PG classes operated by PCF or Apple Tree (2-hr prog), think it cost less than $200/mth.

For your son's case, I strongly feel that you shd nurse your son's health 1st before sending him back to the CC (maybe in about 6 mths' time). If not, do scout for another CC.

In the meantime, employ a maid to help your mum out and put your son in PG so that he can still learn something. It may be a better solution if you have to go back to work in Jan and is also less taxing for you.

Kids are kids, they "like" you when you give in to them to everything they want. Just like my kids, they will turn to their granny if we refused to give in to them or punished them. But, we make it a point to explain to them why they are being punished and why they cannot get everything they want. But, like what Kash mentioned, do praise them alot when they do things right and always remind them that we love them. Give some a big warm hug....it works
happy.gif

Do discuss the options with your hb and work out a solution that best suits your situation now. Most imptly, build up your son's health first.

So happy that this is a short work-week. Enjoy your long weekend, okie
happy.gif

hi kash/snowball

i'm really headache & lost at dunno wat i shd do abt my son..
sad.gif
... i din stopped him frm CC, i've placed him there since 4 Nov...but half day, tat time even he having runny nose & cough i aso sent him there....now really hve 2 stopped him frm CC 4 a time being...

...now my MIL willing 2 look after my son while she's helping 2 look after my BIL's gal (currently 4 mths old)...but she won't b looking him overnite..but my MIL stays beri near us....then my mum will look after my gal, my mum can look after overnite...so we'll bring both of them hm oni on fri nite...wkdays mi & my hb will hve 2 find ways 2 c our children...as my MIL cannot look after my son overnite, everyday mi/my hb hve 2 either fetch him or stay at my MIL place 2 look after him...which aso means mi & my hb might nt even c each other till fri nite...cos we might alternate ourselves so my hb get 2 c our gal on one of the wkday or my hb hve 2 wait till wkend then c our gal...if my MIL willing 2 look after my son overnite just for one of the wkday, then my hb able 2 c mi & my gal for a day...cos i'm still breastfeeding so i can't b visiting my son at my MIL place for a no of days...now he already dun really like mi, w tis separation..dunno will it b worst...

maid already out of question, cos my MIL dun wan a maid...initially my mum wans but on second tot, thinking abt the maid issue, she might end up looking after the maid, more stressed up, decided nt 2 hve one aso...

actually i dun like siblings separation & parent & children separation...but 2 mi seems like tis is the oni option 4 mi, till further option available...

i'm aso worried abt my r/ship w my hb cos we might nt b seeing each other till wkend, then when wkend comes, we'll b busy looking after the kids, no time 4 communication...although so far we r okie...but down the road...dunno izziti worry too much or wat...as wat my mum says try tis arrangement & c how first...

my son still beri weak, if eat too much will vomit...he beri thin now...he nds time 2 recover...

tat fri we visit the PD, the PD aso ask us 2 hire a maid & nt send my son 2 CC...

Hi SM,

How is your son now? Is he recuperating well at home? Guess, if the old folks do not want a maid, you will only be left with leaving your kid at 2 places. But, do make this a temporary arrangement as I strongly believe that kids has to build up bonding with each other.

For your #2, maybe you can give her expressed BM so that you can have time to drop by and visit y our son. That is what one of my friends did, she has 3 kids, #1/ 2 with MIL & #3 with her mum. She shuttles btw 2 plcs to visit them and brings them back every weekend.

While your kids are away, do spend sometime alone with your hb, it is an aspect you also shd not neglect. also try not to stress yourself too much. Remember, your hb and kids need you as much as you need them. Do discuss the options with your hb and make the final decision on the options to explore.

In fact, I have been through some rough patches wrt our childcare arrangements. My MIL also helps to look after my BIL's kids and we have differences in childcare/ discplining (eg, behaviours not acceptable to me maybe acceptable to them vice versa) and we foresee conflicts in this aspect. Hb and myself discussed and finally decided on the way to go. Tho' we have my MIL to help, our final decision is to send both our kids to fullday CC.

My DD1's CC's principal just called me a few days ago to inform that they have vacancy for my DD2 and we decided to let her start CC next mth (at 21 mths old) as the wait will be another about 6 mths if we give up the plc. We will see how she progresses and take the next step as it comes.

I always believe in this saying : when there is a will, there is a way....God is fair to everyone
happy.gif

hi snowball

thanks 4 asking...my son recovered frm his vomit, last wk & the wkend din dare 2 stuff him w food, but gradually increase his food...tis wk he has gain some weight...occassionally still can hear him cough but din give him med, cos nt tat serious, & hope his body can fight it..aso tinking sometimes is just our throat dry, will cough...

ya now kept him away from CC till he's better then decide the next course of action...yest went 2 withdraw him frm the CC...my mum says after my sis finish her o level next yr, she's able 2 come stay w us & help us, w tat arrangement, i'll b able 2 c both my kids everyday...& by then tink my son might b able 2 return 2 CC....

i've already started 2 freeze my milk but i still wanna latch my gal on, so easier 4 mi, nd nt wake up at nite 2 make milk..hehehe..lazy mum...afraid din let her latch on, she'll nt wan it anymore.. so most likely will visit my son just on one/two of the wkday, ..but i believe my hb will oni c my gal on wkend cos he dun like 2 stay at my mum place alone & my MIL dun wan 2 look after my son overnite which means either one of us hve 2 b w my son every wkday...just hope tis will b temp arrangement for a yr or so, but nt for long....

if my son nt sick tat frequent or when he's sick there's another helper 2 help my mum when he couldn't attend CC & i can't apply leave so many days, i'll let him go CC...

aso hope tat it's really CC tat causes him sick tat frequent...actually at my MIL place aso might pose another problem...cos there's 2 more children (same age as my 2 kids) there, & the elder aso attending CC, if sick wouldn't b attending CC, then b at my mil place, which means my son might caught it...just hope nt tat frequent...

last 2 wks of dec (x'mas & new yr wk), i'll b staying at my MIL place 2 let my son get used 2 her..although we always visit her on wkend but then my son still quite nt sticky 2 her or shd i say dun like her, but my son likes my FIL instead, too bad my FIL is working, so can't always b helping out...tat's another worry of mine... can my son get used 2 my MIL...but then i tink children get used 2 it beri fast, since every wk we're there...

yr MIL nt bad, can look after so many kids at one time...
happy.gif

ya lor, let yr #2 attend & c how she progress, then take the next step as it comes..mi too, let my MIL take care first, then take the next step as it comes...

thanks snowball 4 sharing & listening 2 my woes...

w kids, especially 2 of them, i find my time w my hb pvt time lessen, of cos some couples, prefer 2 spend it as family, some still wan pvt time..4 us, till now still ok..but some how or rather, cannot like previous w 1 kid, whereby we can leave my son w my mum & go shopping as couple...we'll still try 2 tok after the kids sleep...at least when we at my mum's place, when the kids r asleep, no nd do housework...can tok...but when i return 2 work, whereby we each look after one kid...shall c how best we can work out of tis arrangement..

Hi SM,

Think we are in similar situation leh. My MIL cannot cope with so many kids and she gets very stressed up whenever the kids are sick. When my kids are sick, I will usually take leave to look after them myself. I will only let her take over when they are almost recovered. Else, she will be very stressed up.

My MIL stayed at my plc on weekdays to help look after my 2 kids (with a maid). My BIL has sent his DD to CC since early this year. Since about 5 mths ago, he brings his son (about 29mths) to my plc everyday. But, he is not an easy child to look after so, recent mths, can see that my MIL's stress level has gone up again. Tat is Y we decided to send my DD1 to fullday CC. Luckily, so far, she is adapting very well, almost 4 mths now
happy.gif

I really hope that my DD2 is also able adapt quickly to CC with her jie jie only in the adjacent class.

One word of caution from my experience, do be prepared for differences/ conflicts in childcare methods and differences in expections wrt children displinaries with your In-Laws. U will also have to manage tat. I always feel that own parents easier to communicate than In-Laws lah...This is only my opinion, it may not be applicable to you tho'.

Do work out the best solution that works for both you and hb and your kids. Do not worry too much....things may turn out well.

Hi snowball

thanks..
happy.gif

keeping my fingers cross abt the arrangement...seems like my MIL having second tots in looking after my son...she's afraid she cannot manage my son & my BIL's gal...anyway hb manages 2 convince her 2 try it out, then if cannot, we'll then seek alternate solution...

ya understand yr MIL situation, hve 2 handle so many kids, especially if one is sick...but so far she never complains 2 u guys tat she couldn't cope & ask u guys 4 alternative solution 4 her?

i understand abt the conflicts...frankly speaking even w own parents, there'll b conflicts....my mum been looking after my son for 2 yrs le...i've been the middle person between my hb & my mum...then i'll tell my hb tat if he doesn't like, can ask his mum 2 look after lor...& even me myself aso hve conflicts w my mum but ya can tok, but sometimes mum can even b stubborn...& they will say if dun like, u ask other 2 help lor...bottom line is now we r asking them 4 help, so can't complain much...so as u say hve 2 give & take lor...

t told myself, if really my MIL cannot cope, by then my son is 30 mths old or even older, hopefully by then his body stronger, decide 2 place in another CC...

i'm considering 2 c TCM 2 tiao his body, just worried tat my son will nt wan the med, which is bitter...

btw, hve u heard of someone tat we can engage (nt those maid) but helper 2 help daytime only (while we r working) in hsework, cooking, or even occasionally look after kids...tinking of hire someone 2 help my mum if really my MIL cannot cope but dun wan those foreign maid...at least no nd 2 worry abt places 4 them 2 sleep, their basic nds etc....

Hi SM,

I can understand your MIL's dilenma. For my MIL, her health is not so good. She had a gall bladder removal op 2 yrs ago (due to gall stones). Actually, worst still, if she complain still ok, but she doesn't. Recently, she has been plaqued with tummyache problems and lost of appetite. I also do not feel good to see her like that.

Yes, as the kids gets older, they are growing stronger. Try to give your son some multivitamin and fish oil to boost his immunity. I am giving my DD1 this Fish Oil cum Colostrum. So far so good.

I have heard of those day-time domestic help. But, it will be very costly if they are to come everyday. I have checked, even for part-time maids to come to our house to do hse-keeping twice a week (4hrs each), it already cost about $500/mth.

Maybe you can hire a part-time maid to help your mum with housework. Cooking wise, if really no choice, can consider tingkat dinner.

U can try bringing your son to Eu Yan Sang TCM clinic to let them see how to "tiao" his body. Currently, I send my kids for TCM child massage twice a mth for general health maintenance. So far, I find it quite good.

My daughters got no problem with medication - be it TCM or Dr's medicine. My hb always tell me we have 2 funny daughters, like to take med ...heeheeheee. Nowadays, TCM medicine no longer bitter liao lah. I asked my DD1, she told me nice leh.

Hi snowball

tink elderly comes 2 tis age body aso starts 2 give problems...actually my MIL aso recently having some sickness, lack of some nurtrients in her body but after seeing doc tat prescribe some med 4 her 2 b taken daily, she says better le...tat's y initially she quite reluctant 2 help us 2 look after our son but upon seeing him sick tat often, offered 2 help us...

actually on the other hand, hope my son went 2 my MIL, nt tat sticky 2 my mum, so if he ever return back 2 my mum, my mum can handle both...my mum says she can't handle both cos my son too sticky 2 her, wan her 2 carry, wan her 2 accompany, even bath or change wan her, he doesn't even wan mi...with tat she can't take care of my gal..aso my mum says touch wood if anything happen 2 her, my son wouldn't b so relying on her...

actually usually how old children body starts 2 get stronger? my mum says abt 4 yrs ba cos my cousin when they r younger abt tat age went CC, seldom heard my aunty mention abt their children being sick often...

currently i'm giving him multi vitamins & fish oil...i've bought colostrum 4 him, waiting 4 the stock 2 arrive, dunno will he accept the taste of it..
happy.gif

on mon i brought him 2 eu yan sang specialist TCM, my colleague recommended tis doc 4 mi previously tat i realise aso tend 2 kids.. initially he din wan the med, which is in powdered form, later we add in ribena, & subsequently he willing 2 drink the med...i've checked w the TCM doc, she says can add in ribena but the taste will b weird but my son doesn't tink so...so let him b lor..cos i mention 2 doc abt my son might nt wan the med, so she oni give mi a wk dosage, tis coming mon gg back again...keeping my finger cross tat my son will take the med & tat it really will help him build his immune system...

doc says his body consider cold type, & tat he's having sensitive nose, means tat whole body will tend 2 b more sensitive & aso sensitive nose he'll tend 2 rub his nose & eyes, so the viruses will spread 2 him when he touches the viruses & then 2 his nose or eyes...

TCM child massage, oh never heard of it.. how long the session? yr gals nt bad still willing 2 take the med, the doc says all children likes the med, but my son if just give him like tat he dun wan...western med, if is sweet still okie, but if the med taste nt sweet then he'll nt wan...at one pt of time, the western med we hve 2 force him 2 take...

oh these part time maid so x, i knw these tat come just 2 do hsework 4 a few hrs, each hr like $10/$20...twice a wk (4 hrs each) already $500/mth, if every wkday (5 days) & frm 7/8am to 6/7pm, tat amt will b like a confinement lady charges le...cos i'm tinking nt just hsework but occasionally help in looking after the kids, feed or change them...like those foreign maid but then nd them oni wkday daytime frm 7/8am - 6/7pm...dunno hve such agency/maid...the part time maid u refer 2 izzit those local/malaysia/china aunties tat oni do hsework 4 a few hrs?...i wanna b free frm the staying over & afraid of them running away etc...aso wkend we dun really nd them as mi & my hb so far still can manage...really a xtra help 2 my mum while we r at work...

Hi SM,

For my case, I find that my DD1 is now getting stronger at 3yo. She still get runny nose/ cough here and there but, not those high fever type. She is still active and can do her activities at CC.

My kids also belong to the sensitive group. My DD1 will keep sneezing when she come in contact with dust and get runny nose and my DD2 so far got 2 attacks of "hong-mok" after high fever (PD said these are fever rash). For TCM Child Massage, it is 20-min per session. Cost is $20/ session. Actually, the TCM clinic got organise workshops to train parents on child massage. But, I too lazy to go learn lah.

My hb always say that both my kids are "funny" creatures as they actually like TCM medicine :p Actually, they do reject initially, but, after a few tries, they are ok after getting used to the taste.

Part-Time maids - There are a few types :

1) Booking via agency - Agency assign Aunties whom you pay $10 - $15 per hr for 3 -4hr hse cleaning work. U pay an upfront agrency fee and pay direct to the auntie after every session. For this kind, Agency is the middleman/ linkman between us and auntie.

2) Booking via agencies - You pay direct to the agency and agency will arrange for the housemaid to come to your house to do housecleaning. Cost is slightly higher (about $500 - $520 for 2 X 4-hr session per week). But, I actually prefer this as the hsemaids are employed under the Agency.

Hi snowball

oh 3 yrs old har...really tinking of placing him back 2 CC...my mum's place now hve a new CC, starting in Jan, known as my first skool (under NTUC, previously known as NTUC), hope 2 register him & replace him back to CC next yr Apr/May, by then he'll b 32 mths old...dunno can he body manages it by then...

my hb was saying if really my MIL cannot cope, then he'll place my son 2 CC earlier...really hope at least can "tong" till after CNY, cos i aso dun wan my son 2 b sick during CNY period...

dunno seems like kids nowdays having sensitive nose, even my gal, the younger old, seems like aso having it...cos she sneeze often..although so far PD haven't confirmed tat...but cos my hb has sinus so PD says my son easily get it, genetic lor...

next wk, i'll b staying at my MIL place on wkdays 2 let my son get used 2 her so when i return 2 work in Jan, he b used 2 the place & her...one thing at my in law place is dun hve PC, so oni wkend i can access comp...

oh these part time maid tat comes oni for a few hrs a day really so x...anyway tis shall b my alternate plans...

very fast my ML coming 2 an end le....din really rest much cos past 2 mths my son kept getting sick...oni tis mth whereby i stopped him frm CC, really can c the different...touch wood till he last episode, he din get sick, since 1 dec whereby he recovers frm his last sickness...he so lively & active now...

Hi SM,

Yes, generally, I find my DD1 is getting stronger nowadays. You can register for him at the new School first. Where do you stay? I know of good feedback on My 1st Skool near my place (at Yew Tee). Environment is bright and clean.

At least can get your MIL to help until after CNY and just nice by then, the new CC will be ready. To help your MIL, maybe can consider part-time help to help out with the housework.

Yes, part-time help are not cheap actually. But, you do not have to handle maid's problems as they come in only for a short period on certain days of the week.

In fact, when my DD2 settled into fullday CC, my MIL will want to go back to her own home (she already told my hb that). My hb asked me to seriously consider if we wanna give up the maid as there will still be housework and have to settle dinner issue.

So far, my current maid is ok, but, I cannot tell when she finished paying her outstanding loan (in 2 mths' time). They usually come up with patterns when they have no more loans to repay....haiz, also headache.

My DD2 down with mild stomach flu this week (prob becos my hb and myself down with cough and sore throat and passed virus to her)....she is still well and active tho'. Hope she has caught the viruses and grow stronger to fight those virus when she goes to CC.

Very fast hor, 4mths ML coming to end liao. Do relax abit and get ready to run the next lap.

Wish you & family a Merry X'mas and a Happy New Year
happy.gif

Hi SM,

How are you getting on? Your kids are all doing well at their grandparents' place?

How is getting back to work? Need sometime to adjust ya?

Hi snowball

Happy New Year to you...went back 2 work on 5 Jan, lots of things 4 mi 2 follow up at work, busy...din hve time 2 go 2 forum le...now work still okie, raelly like a break frm the kids..aso now on wkday nd 2 take care of one kid, easier, & my gal easier 2 take care...

thanks 4 asking, my son okie at my in law's place...so each of us take care of one kid, then one of the wkday i'll go over my in law place & stay...so my hb will c my gal oni on wkend... my SIL found a job & started work on 1 Feb, so the challenges has started 4 my MIL, so far she's okie...but my SIL b4 gg 2 work, did say my MIL cannot cope w 2 kids, & tat if we didn't send our son 2 CC, she'll send hers 2 infant care...

i might b sending my son 2 CC in Apr, now waiting 4 the CC (my first skool) reply...the CC wan mi 2 send him in Mar cos they hve immediate vacancy but i wanna nurse him & let him take the med 4 another mth (in total taking the med for 4 mths) b4 gg 2 CC...the principal at the CC i find nt tat responsible, b4 tat send an email 2 her, no reply, the HQ forward my email 2 her, aso no reply...then one fine day they finally called, is the admin gal, then say no more vacancy...is like i hve 2 call & ask, no action frm them one...but cos is near my mum's place & is new, environment might b better....

frankly speaking taking care of one kid at a time really quite relax...hehehe...especially 4 mi as my gal at the moment quite easy 2 take care...but tat's nt rite tinking cos we hve 2 take the responsibility of taking care of our kids...

since my son withdraw frm CC in Dec, till now no sickness...oni running nose once but eat med, one day recover...nt tat serious one...really nt gg CC no sickness...so it makes mi really tink abt sending him back 2 CC but then my MIL seems like hve no intention of taking care of my son 4 long...anyway replace him 2 CC, then c how...

so how's yr DD2, started CC Jan rite? how she's coping? yr MIL still helping u out although both yr gals in CC? w maid is really like a helping hand, quite useful at times...if financially & she's okie, let her stay till yr gals go 2 P1 then decide...

if i can gurantee get a "no problem" maid, then i might consider 2 get one as well but then no such thing as "no problem " maid..
happy.gif

Hi SM,

Did you give your Son supplements to build up his immunity?

I started giving my DD2 colostrum powder (add to milk) once a day.

My DD2 has started fullday care since last week. So far so good. She was down with mild fever (but for 1 day only) and now has a bit of cough but almost recovered already after taking the cough powder series from EYS.

So did your MIL indicate whom did she prefer to look after? Your SIL's baby or your son? Sensitive issue you know. Better ask her. But then, it is also not so good to keep your DS & DD separated and only see each other on weekends. Really is parents' dilenma.

My MIL will be going back to her own home after CNY. We will be keeping the maid to help out with housework and cooking for the moment (my hb wanted to keep the maid as he doubt I can cope with housework and got no time to cook dinner.

If she is ok (do not come up with new patterns without my MIL ard), we do not mind keeping her until her contract ends mid next yr and then decide if we shd continue nx contract or settled for part-time maid. By then, my 2 DDs will be older and shd be easier to handle.

Hi snowball

i've given him multivitamins everyday...then yest started him on the colostrum powder, previously tried him once, he don't like...i add in w ribena, he aso dun wan...then yest i tried it again w ribena, he's willing 2 take it le...so now intend 2 start him on everyday....when my gal turns 6 mth, i'll add into her milk & let her hve it aso...

oni started yr gal in Feb har, tot she'll b there in jan..
happy.gif
cough powder from EYS, wat is EYS?

she'll prefer just one kid, she din indicate who she prefers...but i tink she'll prefer my SIL's elder son, same age as my son but currently in childcare...cos b4 gg childcare, he's been taken care by my MIL so somehow there's attachment...aso i find my SIL's son more obedient than my son...i find my MIL dun play favouritism but my FIL will...the way he behaves towards the kids can tell le...but cannot blame them, cos they look after my SIL's son frm young mah...

tot yr MIL will stay 4 a while till yr D2 more stable in CC...so yr maid is hm alone during wkdays...ya when no one ard, dunno wat the maid will b up 2 their sleeves...next yr yr D2 will b 3 le...the most go yr in law place 4 dinner after work w the kids...hsework, everyday a little bit...then get those part time maid just 2 do hsework shd b fine...

finally spoken 2 the principal & gotten my son a seat...will admit him in apr, dunno how my son will b when he returns 2 CC in apr....the principal there is a young lady...i was toking 2 the admin, she's seated behind the clerk, i can c the principal...the admin lady kept passing my msg 2 her, & the principal like receving msg, never say take the initiatives 2 come & tok 2 mi, rather tok 2 her admin & let her pass the msg...usually most prinicpal or in charge will come forward & tok 2 parent...tis prinicpal like no experince, no PR one...oni when she came out & supervise, still the admin gal was passing msg, then when they stopped toking, i stepped in front of the principal & tok 2 her, then she respone 2 mi...but i hve nt much other choices of CC tat's near my mum's place....shall c how when my son is in...

Wish u a prosperous NEW YEAR... Happy New Year 2 u & yr family..
happy.gif

Hi SM,

I am giving my DD2 colostrum add into milk during the nite feed b4 she goes to bed. I do not give my kids Ribena as I find that its too sweet (sugar level is too high).

EYS = Eu Yan Sang Cough Powder Series. They have cough powder for different kinds of cough. Each time have to give between 3 - 5 bottles. Actually, when U calculate the cost, it is not cheap. But, I find TCM medicine better than Western Medicine.

My DD2 actually starts CC in Jan. But, I let her start with 1/2 day for 1st 1.5 weeks, then slowly increase to 3/4 day (till 3.30pm) in the last 2 weeks. I started her with fullday care in since 1 Feb. So far so good. My MIL wants to go home, so, I cannot stop her. But, I did tell my hb to pass the msg that she can stay for as long as she like if she wants to.

It is natural that old folks play favouritism one lah. The grandkids whom know how to play in their favour or those looked after by them will be favoured over the rest. Dun say them, we also do play favouritism.

There are differential reviews on My 1st Skool for different branches. For new centres, do monitor the quality of their CC services. Being new may take them sometime to establish their reputation.

My hb's cousin sent his 2 DDs to the branch in SengKang and find it good. I also heard good reviews on the branch at CCK Blk 603. But, also heard some branches do not have good comments.

With your son growing older now, he should be stronger to combat those illness viruses....Dun worry too much.

Wishing you and family a Healthy and Bountiful New Year of Tiger....ROARrrrrr!

hi snowball

how's yr CNY? so how's things 4 u? now yr MIL went back rite? how's u coping? how's yr gals?..
happy.gif

my CNY really busy, w two kids, first day of CNY i woke up abt 7am 2 prepare them & myself...the second day of CNY i beri tired, woke up abt 10am hahaha....

my son really beri sensitive 2 the taste of the colostrum, after tat i've tried 2 add 2 his milk but he doesn't wan the whole bottle of milk...tinking of getting those chewable tablets, like sweets 4 him...i gave him mutlivitamins in sweet form, he likes it...the balance colostrum i'll give it 2 my gal when she turns 6mths ba....

i understand favouritism cannot b avoided one...there's one occassion my hb quarrel with my FIL over my BIL's son & my son...as wat my hb says my FIL like pushing my son away when my son & my BIL son fights over toy...my hb beri angry & our of anger my FIL ask my hb dun stay at their hse...so my hb now can't wait 2 return 2 my mum's place & let my son go CC...
happy.gif
...tis kind of thing can't ctrl one...shall let my son go CC then decide...

when i let my son return CC, dunno how i shd arrange...i'm tinking of accompaning him for first 2 days, letting him stay for half a day...then probably the third day, will let him b there longer till after nap time...but might go away & leave him there...still tinking, cos now working can't b there everyday...oni took 3 days leave...anyway shall c...so long never go sch le, dunno how's he'll cope...i gurantee he'll cry till beri jia lat...dunno i've seen articles tat say 2 tell him everyday tat he'll b gg sch...now i'm nt w him difficult 2 tell him, ask my hb 2 tell him tat, let him b mentally prepared but my hb bo chap one....*sigh*...tink will just hve 2 c how things go...

dunno how's the CC will b like, as u say they're new will take them time 2 establish their reputation...

actually i like the idea of my son learning things over there, let him play w things, rather than stay at hm doing nothing...but since the last epsiode of his sickness, really makes mi scared...keeping my fingers cross...

at work, busy still clearing my backlog & coping w current work...some days hve 2 stay slightly later 2 finish up my work...i knw when my son in CC, i'll hve 2 go hm on the dot, if nt won't b in time 2 fetch him le....my hb knock off later than i, tink he'll reach CC exactly 7pm...might b rushing 4 him...but i told my mum if i really cannot make it, will ask her 2 help mi fetch my son...but somehow i'll try 2 fetch him myself cos my mum still hve 2 wash up after cooking...

Hi SM,

Things are doing find for me. My gals are fully settled into fullday CC now and my MIL went back since last week. But, she still comes over to fetch my kids home from CC almost every evening. She missed them, I guess.

For colostrum, my DD2 is taking it very well and I find it really helps. She still gets runny nose and abit of cough, but, its really nothing serious and she recovers rather quickly, after I gave her the EYS children TCM powder series.

Hey, for your son, maybe you can try to let him take DHA w/colostrum (Brand is GreenLife - Can get from Guardian Pharmacy) which I am giving my DD1 & now my DD2 also likes it. It comes in burslets form. I cut the burslets and squeeze the contents for them to eat....no fishy smell, instead, it has a nice fruity and sweet taste. Your son may like it.

Hmmm, seemed that your hb and yourself not too pleased with current arrangement of putting your son with your ILs. You can familiarise your Son with the new CC about 1 week before he start going. Walk him there and show him around.

I did that for my DD2 (ask my MIL to bring her along to fetch her JieJie). Maybe she is already familarise with the environment, she settled into fullday CC within 1 mth. No more crying in the morning after 6 weeks.

But, true to say that it will be very rushing to fetch the kids from CC after work. Have to pray hard that traffic will be smooth.

If my MIL cannot fetch them, I will make arrangements with my hubby to try to leave office latest by 6pm.

CC illness - In most cases, it is the initial transition to CC period that the child falls sick rather often. For most kids, once they had ride over this transition and the CC's hygiene is ok, coupled with proper immunity buildup, usually, the child shd be ok after that. Like for my DD1, she has been to CC for 7 mths now and she does still fall sick but for not more than 2 - 3 days, and also less frequent.

For my maid, I have subscribed to Singtel LiveCam to monitor her movement at home thru' our HP while we are at work. We are ok that so long as she finish her work for the day that she takes a rest in the afternoon & prepare dinner on-time for the family. What is impt is she do not leave the house anytime she like. Well, its too early to tell if this arrangement is ok. If she really comes up with funny actions, then we will do away with the maid and make-do with a part-time helper (twice a week) & use thermal cookers to cook dinner for my kids. I believe in "when there is a will, there is a way"
happy.gif

hi snowball

really been a long time since i came in...i mention tat my son gg back 2 CC in Apr...

things nt been gg beri well...the fourth day in CC, he's down w flu & cough & fever...tat lasted for abt 5 days, back to sch a wk later...tot things gg well...after gg for 2 & half wks...he's sick again..tis time special illness...urinary tract infection w cough...tat lasted for a wk w/o sch...then back 2 sch for a wk...slight diarrohea...tat lasted for 2 days, back to sch for a day...then come to tis long wkend...fri afternoon, he's having fever again...suspected HFMD..cos last wk his sch 3 cases of it...2day went 2 c doc, true enough HFMD again...last yr he had it once in the previous CC, tot tis time w new CC, cleaner environment, things might b better... *sigh*....
tis time my younger one more mobile le, nt like last time can leave her on bed...so the last few times his bro down w cough & flu, she aso kana...the last one, my younger was down w fever for a few days...& lost appettite...was given antibotics...so last wk just finished the med, appetite recovered...

but now i'm worried...when my son started fever last fri, din tink it was HFMD so my son a few times did come close contact w my gal..oni 2day, when confirmed by doc then i really dun let my son b near my gal...keeping my finger cross tat my gal can fight the initial virus....

i'm tinking really my son cannot go CC??? even a few mths of so called recovery w EYS med aso din really help...my hb did ask me 2 quit but i really din tink i can handle two kids at one time...did tok 2 my mum 2 get a maid when my son was down w the urinary tract infection, my mum strongly refuses 2 hve one...she can she can tahan but i'm worried..cos my son like super glue when he's sick...beri beri cranky....like now...my hb been losing temper at his son over tis...so doubt my mum handle...cos my hb aso started his new job end Apr, canmot take leave, so now i've been taking leave here & there...actually work a bit affected...cos coming Jun, big boss wanna mi 2 take one more job...find it ridiculous, din reduces but increase w same pay, no promotion or wat...hve 2 c if i can handle a nt lor...

so how abt u? yr gals doing fine in CC? how abt yr maid?

i'm really quite stress up whenever my kids get sick, especially my son, cos he's sick he so cranky, making ppl beri frastruated...then my hb will get a bit bad tempered...like 2day, i oni ate one meal, no appetite at all...

dunno how long we can tahan....dunno when my son will get used 2 CC & nt get sick tat often....i've been feeding him vit C, occassionally i'll give him the colostrum..i haven't tried the one u mentioned....he soooo particular abt taste....

Hi SM,

Long time no hear from you......can understand the stress you are currently going through.

Looking at the situation, your son seemed to have a weaker constitution. Maybe its advisible to let him attend 3/ 4-hr classes & get a domestic helper to help out your mum.

My gals also just recovered from HFMD....both got it. My DD1 got a worst attack than DD2. Both recovered in about 1 week. This is my DD1's 3rd attack....my hb "crowned" her a veteran in this liao. Lucky for me, my maid is helpful and my MIL comes over to help look after them so that I can still come back to work.

Colostrum powder - You have to give everyday. I think it helps as my DD2 tho' does fall sick, recovers rather fast.

Workwise - since your hb sugg that U quit your job and look after them, why not you take a few mths no-pay leave and try that out? Does your Company allow such arrangement?

hi snowball

tink aso is the weather tat makes them sick tat often....keeping my fingers cross my gal dun kana...his class in CC, yest they told mi 10 cases le...beri jia lat...so yrs one after the other? i'm worried if my younger got it, my son might get it back again...like a cycle, never ending...

i even considered those part time helper 4 my mum, my mum aso doesn't wan...she says she dun like having an external party 2 do her things...i tink even those 3/4 hr classes my son still b sick one...now my mum everyday help mi bring & fetch my son 2 CC, as 2 wanna him 2 sleep later, so body nt tat heaty, so nt falling sick tat often w lesser hr there...w tat kind of arrangement, he still can get sick.. *sigh*....

my co does hve no pay leave but w no pay leave for long period, bonus will b affected, aso dunno will my boss allow mi 2 go like tat, their work will b beri much affected...aso w my hb working alone dunno financially we can cope..tat day i tok 2 him again tat i quit, he says he say say oni, out of fit, quite difficult... *sigh*...

dunno y my mum soo resistance 2 maid, even my MIL the same...tinking my mum dun wan, probably can get one 4 my MIL, then both of kids leave w her...but my MIL aso dun wan....*sigh*

so far yr maid still okie hor...yrs is frm phillipines? actually w a maid, aso a relief 4 mi & my hb cos wkemd we hve no time 4 ourself or sometimes even our kids. but busy doing hsework or go out doing some shopping...wanna check izzit a must we sign 2 yrs contract 4 the maid, can we just sign 4 one yr? is there such thing as trial? aso how 2 select one maid?

Hi SM,

My 2 gals kenna at the same time. If your Mum and MIL insist do not want maid then quite difficult. Even if you employ 1, they will not be happy and make things difficult. I guess your boy needs more time to build up his body immunity to fight those viruses flying around. I have a fren who is a SAHM whose son also keep falling sick. She keep her son at home until K1 then let him go to sch this yr.

Maid - Std contract is 2 yrs. There is no such thing as "trial" for hiring of maids. Before employing a maid, best to think thro' carefully and state down what duties you 1 the maid to do. Another Mummy in this forum has set up a very good and informative blog on hiring maids....you can refer to her blog for guidelines and advice.

Here is the blog : http://singaporemaid.blogspot.com/

Hi Snowball,

glad that u guide me here... : )

Hi SM,

Well, i oso even thot of hiring a maid... but my hubby & MIL strongly disapproved due to some bad feedback loh... so no choice, i got to be 'maid' at home.. ; p ya, hiring a maid must consider a lot of factors. If there is a trial period, i tink everybody will be most happy to try out... I heard from my boy's TCM tat a pregnancy mother's health codition will determined a child's health condition b4 born. So to make sure the child's health condition is gd, the pregnant mother must build up her own health b4 pregnant which i also failed to do so. during my pregnancy, i nearly lost my bb when abt 5 weeks only due to bleeding.. Luckily, my gynae saved me but the whole pregnancy wasn't a smooth one... sigh... can say i dun enjoyed at all... after borned, my boy's health not so bad but having allergy cough / nose blocked... he oso dun absorb 100% nutritious from the food... he dun poo regulary... very worry but nothing i can speed up the treatment.. guess i got to be patient & work togeher with his TCM / PD...

Hi Snowball,

Can i check with u? Y u need to cut the burslets and squeeue the contents of DHA w/colostrum (Brand is GreenLife)? I let my boy to consume the whole thing loh. Thanks

Hi Yun Yun,

Your son's problem is not that bad lah....surely he can be nursed back to health in no time.

For me, we decided to keep our maid as she has been with us for almost 1yr and she is considered quite ok & she can help to do housework and cook dinner. My kids also like her.

The DHA w/colostrum burslets can be eaten. It melts when chewed. Not to worry
happy.gif
For my DD1, she prefers to squeeze out and take the contents. For my DD2, she will chew the whole burslet. So, it is the child's preference.

Hi Snowball,

Thanks for your encouragement. I oso hope so. My greatest wish is that he can grow well & healthy. Poo Poo regulary... ; )

Well, v fortunate if u can get a gd maid. gd maid hard to hard loh. Gd to keep her if she able to lighten your workload. Get along well w/your kids.

In fact, i dun really feel comfortable to let him eat burslets as contain colouring etc. Anyway, my boy dun eat tat daily. Depend on his mood loh.. Sometimes, he wan.. Sometimes, he dun wan loh... Moreover, he still dun poo poo regularly so i dun really wan him to take daily.

btw, did u ever check on the menu tt the childcare serve to your kids? Recently, i was so shocked tat the childcare served western food like hotdog, chicken nuggets to the children. Even fishcake, crab sticks are in the menu too. considered commerical processed food & i thot childcare shouldn't serve tat.

Hi Snowball,

Do u noe wat is Sambucus? I got to noe someone who give colostrum (morning) & sambucus (nite) to her kid. Is it advisable to give health supplements to young kid? Will there be any effect tat will really boost up their immunity? Any side effect if consume on long term? Once stop, the health condition will get worsen?

Hi Yun Yun,

Sorry for the delayed reply as was really busy with work in recent weeks.

I have heard abt Sambucus which is good for treating flu. I intend to buy 1 bot from Paragon when I go there next week to let my kids try.

My DD1 was down with bad runny nose about 3 weeks back and this week got another attack. But, this time round, not as bad. Brought her to see GP 2 days ago. GP gave her a dose of antibiotics as she also mentioned that this flu virus is very fierce and many people also fall sick for prolonged period. My colleague has been on 5 days MC over 2 weeks now.

Personally, I find after letting my DD2 take Colostrum on daily basis for almost 6mths now helps to shorten the time period she is sick. U can read about this in other threads on feedback from other mummies.

Health Supplements - Dr did advise that the BEST source of absorbing nutrients come from food, not from health supplements. So far, I only give my kids Colostrum and DHA Fish Oil. I stopped the Multivitamins when I started to give them Fish Oil. Anyway, both of them also taking lotsa fruits. So, I feel the multivitamin may not be neccessary.

For food at CC, my kids' CC provide us with their meal plan at the beginning of the year. They Nowadays, I also ask my DD1 what she eat in CC so I roughly know wat exactly was served. Most of the time, its chicken, fish, tofu, eggs, vege, etc. I seldom hear my DD1 say they eat hotdogs/ nuggets. But, they do have fishcakes/ fishballs.

Hi Snowball,

No problem, I understand..

So Sambucus is not a health supplement? Did u let your gals go for flu vacainnation? Ya, lately, v bad as seem a lot of people down with flu & cough..

I just bought a bottle of colostrums from a forum mommy.. she oso bought it from iherb & let 1 bottle to me… just started to give my boy last nite mixing with his milk.

I heard from Dr Koh / Econ tat Probiotics might oso help to relieve constipation & she gave me her personal pkts of probiotics powder to let my boy try… after trying 4 days, seem slight improved. Hopefully, colostrums w/probiotics can help too… DHA Fish oil heaty rite?

How much fruits u give to your gals? After dinner, u sure serve cut fruits to them?

In fact, kids like fishball / fishcake… yes, my boy’s do serve tat too.. they oso serve honey stars (cereal) w/milk, cakes etc… tink once weekly, they got brown rice…

Btw, wat is your working hrs? u work sat? got co transport?

Hello Snowball, SM,

How are you doing? Sorry I have not visited this thread for a long time.

I started to give my gal this "si sen" powder with other ingredients by a chinese med hall in tampines. Gives it to my boy too. Only stop giving to him if they are sick coz on western med so i dun want to mix. So far so good leh... my gal, who has been sick a lot last year due to CC..... this year...touch wood down 3 times with cough. And hor....fever once in Jan (which is before she started the si sen powder. The other 2 coughs, she din have any fever...so i juz give her ventolin or antibiotics if PD prescribes and keep her from CC.

I read abt the HFMD...oh dear! that is my biggest fear! Last year, once her CC has the 1st case, I kept her away from school for 3 weeks until no new casese for more than 5 days.

This year, same thing....once the teacher called me said 1st case of HFMD, i kept her away from school until no new cases for 5 days then I dare to send her back.... so far her school and 4 cases in total this year... all siblings....

if u ladies want to find out more abt the powder, let me know... PM me in case I don't get to come to this thread...

hi yen yen,

same, her cc has fishball fishcake honeystars and hotdog too. I nvr ask whether they have brownrice. i doubt so... this year, the stop publishing the menu...i have been asking but have not seen any
sad.gif

well, even my mum cooks fishball, fishcake and hotdog for my kids leh.... she said she ran out of ideas so i also close 1 eye...anyway... me lazy mum...weekends can ta pao chap cai peng or eat out often with the kids.... think shd be ok bah...

Hi kash,

I seldom give to my boy. Sometimes, my parents will cook fishball for him if i bring him back.. Every fortnight so i oso close one eye... occasionally, i give him a bit of yong tou foo. I cook for him 365 days... even wkends, i oso cook porridge to bring out for him. wkdays lunch, he will hv it at cc & i rush home from work to cook dinner for him.. of cos, i do give fast food etc to him sometimes as a reward.. but not much.. ; )

yes, i oso worry of HFMD cases.. *Touch Wood* But when the child go cc, this is sometimes where we can't control.. we can be alert & the teachers must be alert & strict over hygenic matters.

Back