Advice Needed: 4 mth old bb gradually drinking lesser milk then before

Hi mschan, I intro cereals after she's 6 mths and currently porridge as per PD advice. Surprisingly, she managed to drink more milk after taking solids..

Hi all

Oh no...i realised most babies are drinking abt 120ml on the average for your 4 mth olds. I just called an adviser to complain that my baby is drinking lesser than the recommended. but now i realised my baby isnt drinking so little compared to the rest. Hope im not over feeding him. He is drinking 180ml!

So good, my bb now at 1 yr old only starts to drink 180ml recently..but to my amazement, she eats 1 full bowl of porridge for each lunch and dinner too..

Hi all,

My ger sick for past 1 month, recently just recover from the horrible cough. Bought her to see PD last week for review of the cough. She weights 5.6kg, 62cm at 5 months 2 weeks. So pathetic right. Doc said she underweight lor. Anyboday facing same problem?
Her milk intake like 140(after adding in formula)at 3 to 4 hours interval.

Hi Christina,

My girl is not sick but also very light. or rather gain weight very slowly. Think she weigh only around 5.9kg at 6.5 months. PD didnt say underweight, only said she falls in the 10 percentile only and not to worry as different babies are different, as long as do not fall below 10 percentile is ok..

Hi , my gal is only 2 and half month and is rejecting milk , what to do ? she just suck a little then turn away her head , she will cry if we keep on pushing her the milk bottle . she is too small to go on solid food . I dont think she is having any ulcer since most of the time she dont cry. Sometimes we even try to feed her with a spoon , still when she tasted milk, she will just cry. if we feed her with water, she is ok with it .

Hi Ann,

Is she rejecting bm or fm? You may wish to bring her to consult PD. Her weight normal etc? Btw, does she like to drink water cos my ger like water more than milk.

She is rejecting fm . All the while i never give her bm . Her weight is ok . She gets very frustrated during feeding time .Somtimes got to wait till she very tired , then push her the milk bottle and let her drink unconsciously.... Sometimes she likes to drink water, sometimes dont .

Hi Ann,

How's your baby now? Hope she's getting better.
Another reason for baby to reject milk is probably due to reflux.

http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/refluxsymptoms.html

Below is a list of symptoms of acid reflux in infants.

- Poor weight gain or rapid weight gain
- Frequent spitting up or gulping with a painful look on the face, as if heartburn
- Projectile vomit, sometimes out the nose
- Sour breath
- Persistent hiccups or cough
- Excessive fussiness, crying or colic
- Sudden bursts of painful crying
- Poor day and/or nighttime sleep habits
- Constantly wants to nurse or refuses to nurse
- Poor feeding habits - arches back, pulls up legs, stiffens or screams while feeding or refuses to eat while still hungry
- Prefers upright or inclined positions
- Always wants to be held

Hi VBR,
What's the apprearance of oral thrush and how long it takes to cure, and what type of medication to treat it? Bsides, oral thrush, does your bb has nappy rash yeast infection too? Reason i ask, cos my bb is having stubborn nappy rash yeast infection that doesn't go off despite fungicort and daktacort, for 2 mths already. On nappy area,it appears red pimply dots. Any doctors you can recommend that treated your bb of oral thrush?

hi onsang,
Oral thrush appears as a white layer in baby mouth. Our baby had nappy rash too. We also used same medicatin but it used to reappear once we stop medication. My bb also suffered for two months as it seems to reappear again and again. After taking below additional precautions she got cured.
1. Wash all baby towels separately in hot water after each use.
2.Apply fungal infection cream in mouth and diaper area
3. After each feeding give some water. If baby below 6 months as in our case give 1tsp to wash her mouth. Use separate bottles for feeding only water.
4. Used wet washed cloth to clean baby mouth, while giving her bath.
5. After finishing the course of medication, throw all the teats and replaced with new ones.
6. When nursing apply the cream to nipple as well otherwise painful. (natural remedy is apply some yogurt and before feeding wipe clean)

Hope it helps to cure your bb too.

hi VRB, thanks for replying. I'll incorporate your methods too. Right now, I have some questions of during and post-care on bb as I'm at a loss if we do correctly on our daily process..I even wake up at 12mn, 3am and 6am to air and apply barrier cream, change to new disposable Mamy Poko diaper.

1. Was your bb nappy rash diagnosed as yeast infection too? Was the rash appeared on genitalia area or at buttock area? How did the rash appear like - red pimply dots or red patches?
2. During the course of fungal steroid cream, do you also apply nappy rash barrier cream like Drapolene, Desitin, White Soft Paraffin and etc? Do you wash bb with potassium permanganate?
3. How about after the nappy rash clear off, what kind of barrier cream you used on bb now? 4. Put any talcum powder on her nappy area too?
5. Is she now on disposable diaper, panty or cloth nappy throughout the day? If on cloth nappy, do you put nappy liner on it?
6. Is your bb potty-trained and how old is she now?

hi onsansg,
1. PD advised her thrush travel to nappy. It was more like a big round ring near anal and poo was painful. Its more like red patches than pimple dots.
2. We only used fungal steroid cream and apply aloe vera gel. And we used cloth diapers during that time, once she recovered back to disposable.
3. No rash/thrush appearing recently. If any rash appear we put fucicort (as per PD) otherwise use normal moisturiser after bath on buttocks and upper part of vaginal area (we using GAIA moisturiser) we dint use talcum powder.
4. She mostly on disposable as no more thrush. On and off we use cloth diaper. we prefer mamy poko and huggies ultra. we dont put nappy liner, we got cloth liners which r like nappy liners and washable, feels dry and doesnt cause rash.
5. She is not yet potty trained, she now 8months. potty training ideal to start around 24months when they can hold bladder muscles.

By the way, we also change disposable diaper every 2-3 hrs even if diaper is not full and day time we leave her for 10-15mins w/o diaper until recovery.
No choice lor must wake up every 3 hrs, bb patterns will change around 4+ months. Some mummies shared drypers cause rash freq, and based on their feed back we using mamy poko but recently shifted to huggies ultra.

hi VRB, thanks for the insight. Please let me know the brand of aloe vera gel, GAIA moisturiser and cloth liners as well as the price and where you get them from? I'd like to give these a try on my bb too. Btw, how often does your bb urinates in 1 hour? I noticed mine still urinates about 4-6 times in 1 hour at 14 months still, just a tad bit lesser lately..

hi mummies..

my bb doesn't seems to like milk.. she is 4mths now but still drinking 100ml or lesser per feed.. i think abt 5 feeds or lesser per day.. y is it so..? she doesnt like milk or she wants starts semisolids already? i've changed milk powder also...
isn't she too young to have teething signs? she's 4 months only...
and last nite 12am, she had 150ml, and 4am she had 60ml...
daytime have diff to make her drink.. she will fuss alot when she taste milk..
anything i can add to the milk to make it more 'tasty' for her..?
thnks alot!

Hi
My baby coming to 4 months. All along she does not drink her milk. I am breastfeeding. At most she drink only 40 ml... she weight less than 5 kg now. Whelter it is direct or bottle she only drink a little.

Help!!!

Back