! -- Advice: Childcare NurtureStars@Mount Faber SAFRA -- !

For LV, drive into carpark, park the car, off engine, walk about 10 mins up to LV, walk down 5 mins, start engine, drive off car park - vice versa when picking up child.

That's inconvenience as compared to drive up to driveway, drop the child within 1-2 mins and drive off.

NS@Mt Faber: My son had been attending for coming 2 years.

Starting the sch was quite gd the teachers were v experience then over times the staff turnover rate v high and u can see training teacher now n then. Most of the times they have shortage of experience teachers n they replace or cover up with those under training ones.

Principal also change a couple and recently this teacher was promoted as Principal and she is really no gd ever since she took over. Many of times they fail to comply with instructions given by parents or else they forget to pass the msg to the teacher in charge. Their response are slow.

Before being a Principal, we had some issues with her as a teacher. She always tried to be over strict towards the children and one day she treated my child in a rough manner and caused a terrible accident on my son resulting 9 stitches on his lips.

To hold the sch liable since my child wound has not fully recovered we had to continue with NS to ensure that they do not push away their liability.

Until today, my child is very unhappy and refuse to go sch every morning. My child cries without fail when we send him in.

Recently, NS has bought a new television which previously they dont have. Very dissapointed and annoyed when they dont bother to update the parents. I strictly prefer my child not to watch any TV in sch. (I personally think that the sch has insufficient teachers or they can laze around by leaving the kids entertained by TV)

Other than the location, curriculum, I definitely think the sch is not worth with the price paid. Pls have some second thots before enrolling your child.

Hi Lala,

Thank-you for this valuable piece of info.

1. I did noticed the high staff turnover also.

2. Esther was their previous principal, after she left, it was replacement one of their senior teacher, Jen, who is now the Vice Principal... and yes, she is pretty fierce and strict.

3. Very sorry to hear about what happened to your son... the result of 9 stitches on his lips is unacceptable.

4. I am not aware of the new TV... it would be terrible if hours are spent for the children to watch TV. Hope that it is just for educational purposes. Let me check with my child whether she watched TV, and during the next Parent-Teacher meeting, I'll definitely lookout for the TV, argh!

Lala, from your research, wonder what's the next best place?

Thanks.

Hi TaraG (greentara)

Currently doing research on other Childcare Centres. Sorry will not be able to share on which is the best.

But I would like to hear more from other parents too regarding to NS.

I have understand from parents from other classmate on matters arising regarding their unhapiness on NS too.

I personally feel that joint venture of SAFRA with KINDERLAND is purely a profitable benefits for SAFRA as an investment therefore the standard for operating the childcare is not their priority which result the poor standard.

Hi Lala,

We are ok with NS so far though there are room for improvements there. Well, most if not all childcare out there are commercial, ie. for profits.

I've sent you a PM regarding your child.

Tara green
Can share more about NS at mount faber? I'm keen in switching my child but hope not to make mistake on switch. Currently the ccc he goes to is expensive.

bb, we are happy with NS@MF till this point.

I suggest that you read the entire thread about NS since my 1st posting here, focus on the negative points on NS rather than positive - this is a better approach for conducting due diligence.

Wonder how much are you paying in ccc (presumably after subsidy).

Hi Lala & Tara green

Which class are your children in?

My son is also in NS. There has been 3 change in his English teachers & 3 changes in his Chinese teacher over 10 mths. Very high turnover in the teachers.

Anyway, understand that there is a change in principal again. Jen is trf to Toa Payoh. I really don't like her style so am glad that she is being trf.

My son seems to fall sick very frequently. He's still quite happy at NS overall.

But I do feel that there is a lack of communication between the school & parents.

Staff turnover is disheartening indeed. Am happy with Eunice and Cheryl who seems to be there the longest period so far.

Yes, I also learnt that Jen has been transfer to TP. Am actually fine with her overall, and I do like her practice of emailing us. Hope that the new Principal will continue this practice.

My child is also happy with her friends and teachers so far.

Hi all, so happy to find this thread.
My child also at NS.
Really disappointed with all the recent changes.
Has anybody do an official feedback to them?
The management do not bother to keep parents inform on all the changes.

Hi Yoyo

Yes, I feedback about why no update on change in teacher and principals but sad to say until now still never hear from them.

I also have not met the new principal. The last time I asked for her and was told she is in meetin etc.

Hi swt2baby,
I did feedback to them too. The new principal said management will issue memo to introduce her. That's abt 10days back, till now, no news yet.

Hi All,

swt2baby (tulipjo): I dont like JEN too the way she handles the children and her arrogant and aggressive actions caused my child with stitches over his mouth and lips. I am really happy she transfer out.

I agree cheryl, Eunice, Bian Men are very nice and caring teachers but the rest of the team just keep changing. The school is in a total mess. The ex principal JEN had not been seen attending school for quite a while. Hope the new incoming principal will do better.

Overall, email circulars to parents are good but very inconsistent. Sometimes email sometimes give hard copy letter.

Good luck to those who are staying on with NS. I have submitted the notice to withdraw my child. Currently in Nursery class.

yoyo8 (yoyo8): I called up MCYS officer in charge last month to feedback on the school matters list of items that the sch prinicpal failed to update the parents.

1) Introduction of new TV to children after 5pm
2) Change of class teachers
3) Change of admin staff. No replacement. Therefore my SAFRA points and card they just keep and hold back.
4) Principal cannot be easily contactable everytime I call or visit the school.

LM,

Thank-you for the updates and best wishes.

Wonder which school will you be sending your boy to?

7797941.png

Just received the letter from NS yesterday regarding the new principal. It dated 7th Nov, wondering why it takes so long to issue out.

Yoyo,

Probably a result of an effective letter from Lala's to MCYS! Hmmm.

Now that MCYS has been split into 3 entities,
1. MINISTRY OF SOCIAL AND FAMILY DEVELOPMENT
2. MINISTRY OF CULTURE, COMMUNITY AND YOUTH
3. MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION
Wonder which is the right dept?

Anyway, I went to MOE SGDI and found that this might be of relevance?

MOE' PRE-SCHOOL EDUCATION BRANCH
--------------------------------

Address : 51 Grange Road
Blk 5, # B1-01
Singapore 249564

Tel : 68387332/68387321
Fax : 68362102/68360210
Email Address :

Post Name DID Email
Deputy Director, Pre-school Education KOH Kok Khai
68387323 [email protected]
Assistant Director, Pre-school Education Mrs FONG Chin Yoon Fah
68387334 [email protected]
Assistant Director, Pre-school Education Charles CHAN
68387315 [email protected]
Assistant Director,Pre-school Education LIM Ee Tuo
68380547 [email protected]
Assistant Director, Pre-school Education Miss PHUA Ai Lei
68387378 [email protected]

http://app.sgdi.gov.sg/listing.asp?agency_subtype=dept&agency_id=0000001176

Hi all

The new principal told me she has emailed me about change of principal which I told her I've never received & she says will provide hardcopy of the letter. The letter on installation of TV was also only issued recently.

I used to get feedback on my son's day in school from his teacher when I fetch him which I thought was very good. But no more cos his 2 new teachers are only working till 4.30pm (to my knowledge) & other teachers take over after that & doesn't seem to share any updates at all.

I've spoken to friends who placed their kids in other cc & realized that they do not have such high turnover in teachers. Still thinking if I should change cc?

>The new principal told me she has
>emailed me about change of principal

I did not receive any email from NS regarding this as well.

Will probe them later.

I did not received any email from them for a long time. The letter regarding change of principal is a hard copy that put together with the class photo.

swt2baby,
have the same feeling as you
sad.gif

Any advise of good CC around?

The principal mentioned on the letter that TV will only switch on after 6pm and only educational propgrammes will be shown. But to my surprise the kids are watching Madagascar after 5.30pm.

I personally feel that NS is really short of staff. No TV programmes use to be the + point that we choose this CC, but now feel so disappointed.
sad.gif

I just discovered this thread, prior to this, i raised similar problem on NS@Mt Faber to MSF (Child Care Division, Ministry of Social and Family Development. Pls also raised your concerns there too so that the centre mgt will put more priority and concern to the mgt of the sch.

Anyway, I seriously think NS Mt faber should buck up, their Yishun centre gets consistent email comms, have all the festive celebration( i rem children day celebration was informed to parents w just a note stick on the door one day before children day!), got some little entrepreneur day, won some dance contest, they even got SPARK certified! We all enrol in NurtureStars why other centre can do so well while ours is so horrible and we pay the same fees....

Hi rosso,
Agreed, Yishun NS is doing much better than Mt.The principal at Yishun used to be with NS@Mt, she's very good and proactive.

NS@Mt, wrote a email to principal early last wk, till now have not receive any reply yet.

Will do a feedback to MSF.

Hi yoyo8, have you submitted your feedback? I was initially surprised to see Ms Nadi at the door yesterday evening(Thurs) to greet parents, i thought now things will get better, but guess what? My child told me teachers are scolded by Ms Nadi today! It is too coincidental. MSF officer called me on Wed, Thurs, Ms Nadi is at the door, and teachers were scolded and children knows, it does not take much thinking to link all these together. If such actions is what Kinderland condone, I am totally disappointed with this school. I enrol because it is managed by Kinderland. If being managed by Kinderland equates to such management style, it reflect badly on them. Furthermore, my child says there's only one teacher teaching them this week. Based on MSF child care guidelines, ratio is 1:15. If other teacher is on leave, not enough teacher to teach, shouldn't the principal come out and teach instead of sitting in the ivory tower and scolding teachers? My child says Ms Nadi never teaches them, all she does is stay in office then go home! Would a child lie? One parent complaining is not enough, all of you, who leave your kids there, please step out to do something. We pay school fees, government pays them childcare subsidy with our tax money, this should not be where money is spent on.

Hi All,

For your info to share. Hope it is helpful. Recently, suddenly the new prinicpal is hospitalised not longer after she took over the position at Mt Faber NS. Now SUSAN TAN is taking over the CC and she is very strict she is the over all operations in charge from KINDERLAND.

If you have any concerns please do feedback to SUSAN TAN during this period while she is around.

Together we can make the CC a better environment for our children and make the money we pay worth more.

Else we should write a official letter and sign by all parents and send to SUSAN TAN.

Thanks all.

Heard 1 teacher will be promoted to VP next year so I'm not sure if Susan Tan will be around long term.

I support the motion of writing an official letter and make our concerns known so that they can take pro-active actions.

Right now, either no update or update very last min, like e christmas party....parents were only informed last wed.

Hi

Sorry to interupt.
I've 4 sets of NurtureStar Childcare school uniform to let go. They are really new. Only 2 sets are worn like 3 times only. bought them for $30 per set. Letting them go at one set for
- 1 set for $25 or
- 4 sets for $80

Cheers
Lipz

Hi swt2baby (tulipjo)

Yes i super agree to you. Like the principal was admitted hospital not long after joining nobody informed the parents.

It is very inconsiderate of the school operation practise. For the circular of Christmas and the school was not closed for half day and I was not awared. I even rush to school to pickup my child.

I hope as parents we could gather and sign on the letter together so that actions can be taken seriously.

Thanks

hihi.. seems that there are no much comments abt Nurturestars in tampines...
sad.gif

my 2 boys are there, but i thought its so-so to me. any feedbacks? tks!!

Hi Lala mama

How did u contact Susan Tan previously? Is it call direct to the NS phone no?

I'm disappointed with the swimming enrichment class. How can there be no replacement if lesson fall on PH or school closure?

Also, too little time provided for us to decide on the classes.

hmm.. had been reading this thread for quite a while, and would like to suggest those to try out this center i came across which is gd IMO.
at tanjong pagar pinnacle, Life Journiz. go google about it for those who are keen.

Hi Kitticutix (sylvia00)

is a 1 month notice by writing to the school if u decide to withdraw.

Hi swt2baby (tulipjo)

I stop the Swimming Enrichment program for this term as I faced similar problems when HFMD period the swimming class comes to a temporary stop and some holidays there was no replacement.

I have enrol my child for swimming directly under the coach at SAFRA instead which is more regular and the price is much cheaper than Nurturestars.

I usually writes in to contact Susan.

Thanks

Hi Kitti,

They have replacement classes when HFMD strikes. However, there isn't any when there is rain, eg. yesterday.

Wonder which coach did you approach and what's the cost like?

Thanks.

Erm......taraG, I think u r referring to another mom.... I only ask about withdrawal cos found another cc nearer to my place

Hi, I am so happy to find this thread. I am thinking of placing my child in yishun or mount faber nurturestars. Any feedback or advice to share?

Hi parents,

I've just visited NS at Mount Faber and find the Q&A with the school a little queer.
When I asked her about whether there's a progress report on the students, she told me there's one every term - it's puzzling that there's only one.

Then she quickly said there is a communication book that the parents will bring back every day. So I asked her for a reference, but she's not able to produce as she said the parents bring that back.

When I asked to visit the centre when the toddlers are taking lessons, I understand that the school management does not actually allow that. When I asked the person-in-charge why not as other schools do allow, she said would check with the principal and the teacher involved for that day. This is equally perturbing as I would imagine if the classes are conducted well and visitors are only staying for a short minute, there should be minimal disturbance to the class.

When I asked about preparation of food- if there is MSG added? The reply was rather defensive stating that no salt, MSG and sugar are added in the preparation of food. Wonder if it's really possible that no salt is added.

That said, the place is clean and the advantage of having a swimming pool appeals.

Otherwise, I would really like to speak with a teacher as the person taking charge on Saturday seemed unsure of the curriculum and most of the questions posed to her. It is disturbing as I can't trust what were communicated by her.

Anyone has further feedback?

Hi parents,
I visited the Nurturestars Mount Faber a few days ago and decided to enrol my child there. I find the environment and curricullum good compare to the neighbouring childcare centres. I was attracted to the water play session! Children were able to go to the swimming pool once every week. The person that introduced us around was very detailed and friendly. The only thing that we worry is that the centre actually charge if we pick our child late. Overall, I am quite happy with the centre.

Generally, I think NSMF has improved very much the past few months. The communications to parents are now very updated and via email. Many things that are not updated in the past are being updated, example, new intern teachers who will be there and how long. Photos in website are also being updated. It has been more than half a yr since it was updated, hence I think the school has really done something to improve from the previous state. My current teacher also will give feedback on my child's day in school which is much appreciated. Hope they keep it up and turn it into a really good school...

This is to give compliments to the teacher of Nurture Stars Yishun.Despite of the recent unfortunate biting incident happened for the 2nd time on my son’s arm, we were pleased to receive Teacher Nur’s explanation and assurance given.
Although Teacher Nur is a new teacher, we can feel her passion in this ever challenging job and her loves for children. Such great teacher should be encouraged!

Well Done, Teacher Nur!

i m keen on Yishun NS but it seems like have to be on waiting list?! i called the lady and asked what is the waiting list like, she doesnt want to reveal. she just give me a haphazard answer, like '20 lah. i didnt count'.

I saw on NurtureStars web homepage they having a Open House this Saturday 13 jUly at SAFRA Tampines..9am to 2pm...anyone heading down?

Back