About BREASTFEEDING

Hi Annticipating,

i) when breastfeeding, you should let the baby latch on only 1 side at each feed. then latch on the other side at the next feed. let the baby suck for as long as he wants but make sure its not comfort sucking. there is no time limit becoz it depends on how well the baby sucks. when baby is full, he will unlatch himself or fall asleep. when he falls asleep on feeding, try to compress your breast, if he is not full, he will continue to suck. if he is not sucking, then you can remove your nipple. hope this info is helpful as i consulted a counsellor on this issue too.

ii) this depends on the baby...if breastfeeding, breast milk gets digested very fast, hence need frequent feeding. for my baby, feeding every 30 min or hourly is very common. even at 6 weeks now, he feeds hourly from morning to night i.e. at least consecutive 12 hours of hourly feed.

iii) yes, the stools should be soft and not smelly.

Try not to supplement with formula because the milk works on demand and supply logic. if you supplement, the brain will not get the signal that you need more milk for baby. hence the supply cannot increase. i was very tempted to supplement initially but told myself have to hang on and don't supplement.

Supply = demand
latch on more & supply will become more too.

JIA YOU EVERYONE!!!
happy.gif

hi leng leng

my mum always tell me to eat more nutritious food or tonic so that my breastmilk quality will be good.
if i eat not enough my milk with not be good.
But i thought quality of the breastmilk will not be affected only the quantity will be affected right? if u eat not enough, you will have low supply right?

Hi BL,
quality of BM may not affect by nutritious food or tonic,
but not enough food will definately decrease or reduce BM supply.
happy.gif

Another thing to note,
rem to drink enough water daily,
2L for ourself, 1L to produce BM.

HTHs.
happy.gif

Hi summerdreams, thanks for your response.

Sometimes baby will turn her head around, wanting to latch on to me instead of taking from milk bottle. Is this comfort sucking?

Wondering whether you're a working mum or SAHM.
As I would be returning to work after maternity leave, what can the caregiver do if baby wants to latch on but I'm not beside her.

Thanks.

Hi Annticipating,

At 3 weeks old, the baby is still very young and if you breastfeed her and bottle feed her, there is a risk of nipple confusion. She might be confused that why are you offering her bottle instead of breast. Before baby is full month, its better to get someone else, say your mum or hubby, to bottle feed her. During the bottle feeding, its better that you don't let her see you.

I am a SAHM. I used to total latch on but start to train my baby with 1 bottle feed a day since last week (at 6 week old). This was advised by the KKH lactation consultant.

I have no experience of the situation that you mentioned, hence, I cannot offer you any advice. Sorry about that. Any experienced working mum can help to offer advice for Annticipating?

hi,like to ask did any of u have this problem before..... today my nipple start to feel very pain, and i notice a white dot in the centre of the nipple tat make it feel pain.
but i didn't care much, till jus now after i pump my milk. i notice the white dot becomes quite big and very painful.and i don't dare to latch my baby on... it looks like an ulcer on the nipple....... pls help.... should go see gyne 2molo???

hi,i have something about breastfeeding which i'm not sure. Not sure if anyone can clear my doubts.
My gal is goin 2yrs old in few months time and still breastfeeding but at the same time (only recently)just started to let her try mamil gold formula.
These days I ask her if she want milk,she say dun want.Is it true that she really dun want milk(breastfeed)?I also pregnant for 2nd time. I'm not sure if I really stop breastfeeding my gal now, does it mean that there is no more milk production..?does bb always need to drink milk before sleep?all the while my gal need to be breastfeed then can sleep..if stop breastfeeding then she can't sleep, how?

my bb is 3mths, been breastfeeding him since day 1. have no problem with supply. but im having a prob getting him to take the bottled EBM. i need him to take that as im going to wk next mth. my plan is to latch on in the nites and early morning before i drop him at my mum plce. then pump at least twice at work. at mum's, he will take bottled EBM and when im back, its latch on till i send him to mum's the next day. weekends fully latch on....i intend to this till he takes solid food at 6mths.rite now, everyday i pump 1 to 2 pkts of milk and freeze so as to stock up on milk. and i dunt intend to put him on FM soon even after 6mths. any comments on my plan?

Hi mummies,

My baby is 7 weeks old, on total breastfeeding. For the past 2 days her stool change from orange yellowish to olive colour (greenish + yellowish). May I know is this normal?

Would appreaciate your advised.

Apple,
greenish means too much foremilk,
try to feed on 1 breast per feed for BB to get to hindmilk too.
happy.gif

BBG17,
I did that for my #1, till she's 12mths old.
happy.gif

Ice-kacang,
taste of BM may change when you get pregnant,
if she's ok with FM, who not switch her?
Let your body prepare for the newBB?
happy.gif

Can try FM b4 sleep, she's 2 yr old, time to brush teeth b4 sleep already.
happy.gif

Dear Leng Leng,
tk u for your support...actually, i also have baby having olive colour stools....i heard abt the too much formilk too, so now i always get baby to feed 1 breast per feed. but my baby always drinks max 7 mins at one feed. i got worried abt tis. but i see that my breast is softer after ech feed and when i pump the remaining i get abt 1 ounce milk. i usually have 5 ounce pumped out milk wen breast full. but i dun get why he drinks only for max 7 mins...i have read that one sholdnt be too concern over how long a baby latches at ech breast. also my boy doesnt take the entire aerola...there is still some aerola around the mouth. I have tried and am stll trying to get all of it into his mouth. i cn see and feel that he is suckin the milk well. m i on the rite track. sometimes, i do feel like seeing a lactation consultant to help abt the latching thou...my bb is now 5kg at 2.5 mths...he was 4.2 kg at 1.5mths...wat do u think? is it true that it is a must that ALL aerola must be taken in. i recall the breastfeeding video given to me by sgh, i saw that some cases not most aerola is taken....

hi mummies,

my boy just turned 1yr a few days ago. He is on total breastmilk. My milk supply definitely running low now. I pump twice a day and latch him on at nite for 2 feeds. At the rate my milk s/s is going, I have bought two cans of formula milk today. I know that milk supply can be increase if we pump more often, but in my case after so long of breastfeeding, will it still works?

Hi BBG17,
don't worry, you are on the right track,
your BB is growing at a good rate too.
As long as BB is comfortable & you are not in pain,
BB's growing, peeing & pooing well,
it's RIGHT.
happy.gif

hi lengleng,

does it really help? I used to take fenugreek and goat's rue when i initially started breastfeeding but stop when my supply got established.

anyways, what wld u recomend?

tks leng leng....i was getting worried. was even thinking of seeing a LC to find out. Think im going to fortify my BM by taking BF safe vitamins. Any suggestion?

rms, BBG,
GNC, Nature's Way?

OR Traditional Medicinals, Organic Mother's Milk, Caffeine Free Herbal Tea?

PM me your email address,
I give you a USA website to purchase cheaply.
happy.gif

Hi LengLeng,

Thanks for your reply.
My gal usually feed for 5-10mins on each breast. I try to feed her longer at each side, but she refused. All along no greenish stool until the last 2 days. So could it be the reason?

Apple,
u r most welcome.
If BB is happy on 1 side,
don't be eager to switch,
let her carryon to maybe full?
Then next feed use the other side.

Hindmilk contains more fat,
BB needs this fat to put on weight.
happy.gif

Hi i have been almost exclusively feeding my baby, but when i miss a feed, i can't pump out the feed at all.. I use advent manual, i only get 2oz after pumping for 45 mins.. i can't initiate the let down process.. Any suggestion how to let down faster? I tried holding my son photo, watching video, listening to music but still can't let down...Now i wait for my baby to feed on one side, den pump another side.. cos he can help me let down.. very funny right.. any suggestions? haha.

Hi Michelle,
I do feel that if I pump manually, I can't consistently achieve the let down. Electronic pump works better for me to achieve it. And yes, I'm also using Avent as well. But you may like to try turning the suction cup around to adjust the pumping till you achieve the sensation. I do tend to achieve the sensation/let-down better, but importantly, you have to relax.

Hi lush, thank you for the advice. My son is 1 year old already, i don't think it is very wise to buy a good electronic pump. I will try the turning of the suction cup =)

I always look like how much milk i am pumping.... i think i am not relax enough right.. But i have massage my breast and pump with advent. I am currently missing a afternoon feed with my son and supplementing with formula, i am afraid that i will decrease my milk production. I don't have alot of time to pump out the milk.. break is only 1 hour and my facilities does not have a room for me to pump out the milk, i don't want to pump in the smelly toilet... haha i don't think it is very hygenic too.

I can't feed my son during my lunch break.. How ar
His schedule is like that
10.30 cereal
1.30 porridge

How do i squeeze in the 12 pm milk? I think he will be very full right? He naps at 2pm. If i feed him milk at 12pm, and push the porridge later, i am scare that he might be hungry when he sleeps.. Any suggestion?

dear mummies
i m thinking of weaning off my 8mth baby but don't know hw to do it bcos she needs to suckle every nite b4 sleeping. she wakes up every 1.5-2hrs every nite for feeds n i m really feeling very tired (guess she's tired too). she's currently being BF at nite. i did tried to give her FM in the middle of nite serveral times but she juz refuse to drink. i guess she knows tt's not BM. anyone can advise on hw to wean in my case?

Melissa,
let baby sleep without you,
our #1 slept 4 days with my sister & that kicked her off the night suckling...
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng

Tks for the info! However, baby would cry for me even b4 she falls asleep...hw?

hi leng leng,

can i check with you? i have already purchased my breast pump.. shld i bring it along with me when i go to the hospital to delivery my #1?

i want to BF my baby, but not sure what i should do to establish the milk flow. i understand that 1st 3 days is not milk but the antibodies etc for the bb, wat kinda volume are we talking about? a lil only or is like at least 20 to 30ml each time?

hw soon shld i start using a BP to help stimulate more milk production ah? or.. when do i actually use the breast pump one? do baby actually finished the milk on both breasts at each feeding?

thanks in advance!

Hi ting,
some questions;
1. how long do you think you'll be there after delivery?
If normal delivery, maybe 1 night? C-section... 5 days?
2. Why not latch on?
3. Who will wash/sterlise the pump & accessories for you during hospital stay?

How soon after delivery are you returning to work?
If not too soon, you'll have all the time to stimulate more milk production,
BEST is latch on baby...
happy.gif

You can actually latch on baby immediately after delivery,
after baby is being cleanup,
depending on your gynae/midwife.
happy.gif

It's best to latch on baby fully on 1 side for each feed,
that is for baby to get to your hindmilk,
if really not sufficient, then switch.

You can get lots of tips here;
http://www.kellymom.com/

HTHs.
happy.gif

hi leng leng,

thanks for the link! i am currently reading it!

thus, to stimulate milk production, my bb should latch on as soon as possible, and as often as possible is it? then if first 3 days no milk, will the baby starve? then when the milk starts flowing, and baby cannot finish the milk in the other breasts, then i can use the pump to pump out the remaining right? am i suppose to empty both the breasts at each feeding? or only need to empty one each time? sorry ah! i am really very new and so far people around me do not breast feed.

those milk that i pump out, i can store and feed to baby as expressed Breastfeed via bottle so my hubby or mil can feed the baby and bond with him? or will it be advisable to go fully latch on for 1st month?

thanks in advance for your patients and knowledge sharing!

Hi leng leng

Yes...i m working...hence the many times waking up at nite to BF is really taking its toll....my bb wakes up every 1-1.5hrs...sumtimes 40-45mins...
sad.gif

Hi ting,
you are most welcome,
we're here to share.
happy.gif

Yup, latch on as much as possible,
1st 3 days are the most precious,
there's colostrum...
Else you'll have engorgement on 3rd day, HURT LIKE HELL!!!
Baby will not stave, for my #2 & #3,
they didn't touch any formula milk after returning from hospital.
happy.gif

I'll suggest fully latch on for 1st month,
then you adjust yourself to baby's need & expressing to store.

Empty 1 breast at 1 feed, if really not enough then switch,
give the 2nd breast at next feed...
Empty 2nd breast, not enough, then give 1st breast.
Most of the time, baby won't like you to switch,
once he's sucking happily, he won't want to unlatch...
happy.gif

If you are really tired & need lots of rest,
then you may want to solely feed baby on expressed breastmilk,
keep pumping for others to feed baby while you rest as much as possible.

There's no 100% right method,
as long as you are comfortable, that's the right one.

I'm a lazy mummy,
I latch on most of the time,
then no need to sterlise, wash or clean.
After feeding, when baby sleeps, I sleep too.
happy.gif

Hi Melissa,
do you sleep in air-con room,
when the A/C is on, our baby can wake up ever hour too,
try turn the temperature higher a bit.

Is baby sleeping together with you?
You can try to position yourself in feeding/sleeping position, tummy to tummy...
Sometimes I have already dozed off b4 my baby finishes his milk.
happy.gif

thanks leng leng,

then can i ask if it's neccessary to buy the breast feeding pillows? i went for the prenatal class for 1st time parents, they were saying if not latch on correctly will cause pain and poor feeding etc. the last time i carry a baby is like 14 yrs ago liao! will it be tiring like to cradle the bb as he suckle? *i think of back & shoulder ache already*

really looking forward to meeting him already!

Hi Leng Leng
Yes..we sleep in aircon room of 26 degrees every nite. Is it too cold for the baby? I make her wear long sleeve sleep rompers. I realised my baby sleeps better n longer in aircon room during the day. So i cannot understand y she cry so much at nite (every hr or so).
I used to put her beside me when sleeping. Not until she fell fr bed 3 weeks ago. I put her in her crib every nite nw.

Hi,

Can anyone share with me how do you freeze the express breast milk. Should I put it in the chiller before transfer it to the freezer or should I put it immediately in the frozen compartment of the rerigerator?

Hi Melissa,
baby gets hungry easier in A/C room,
also she may have dozed off before filling her full during night feed.
Try a cooling night without A/C.
happy.gif

Maybe get a mattress & let her sleep on the floor?
Then you can lay side by side & sleepfeed her...
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng

I'd feed baby last FM at 1030pm and she'd doze off aft tt. It's been a daily habit that she'd cry n need to suckle an hr later at 1130pm and this cycle would repeat hourly until ard 2am. Do u think she's really hungry after a full feed of FM?

Hi Melissa,
how many ML, normal amount or lesser?

If full feed, I would feel it's for comfort,
or maybe she's teething?
The teething pain may have worken her up & sucking comfort her.
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng
She used to take 160ml but reduced to 120ml as she can't finish her milk aft she was discharged for viral gastritis (discovered when we send her to hospital aft she fell fr bed).
Hw would we know if she's teething? Why doesnt she fuss in the day if she's teething?
Thanks!

Hi Melissa,
maybe she's "trying to recover"?

Teething, does she drool? take things & bite?
She may be fussing, you are at work, don't know mah... hehehe...

Hi Leng Leng
Tks for the advice. It's been 3 weeks since she fell so i guess she's recovered. She doesnt drool yet n she seldom take things n bite. Haiz...dun know what's wrong with her...
sad.gif

Hi Leng Leng
She used to be very colicky at birth. She was hospitalised for 2 days for colic when she's 16 days old (she was crying non-stop, tt's y send her to KKH n was admitted). Her colic has improved though the doc say her tummy got alot of wind when she's recently admitted for her fall. I apply the ru yi oil whenever she refuse to suckle n cry non-stop. Really not sure if it's the wind tt's causing her to wake up so many times
sad.gif

Hi Melissa,
just tap tap on her tummy to hear for "pong pong" sound...
You may want to try Yu Guo? Chinese Physician + Children Tui Na?

Back