3 kids & more - how do u cope

hi m&m and Chris

Thanks ya, glad bb turned.hope he stays tat way..my edd 25th but my gynae said to end my misery can induce on 12/12...next week check up, guess he will do VE..hopes already dilated..

M&m,
i read your msg abt lost mucus plug , last nite dreamt abt it..hehehe..i think your baby will wait for daddy cos my hubby was not around when almost edd, she decided to pop immediately when he returned..so i guess god knows ya...soo hang in there..

now its the hols , abit relax no need to send the kids to school..

najmom & m&m,

hang on there...u 2 are doing great & will be doing fine..

Chris,

As a working mom,sch holiday is not a good thing for us...hahaha...luckily my 2 boys are in child care,so still can handle but sometimes will let them be at home when it's our off days so tat can bring them out for some school holiday programmer outside,hubby say,if everyday they at home,sure cannot tahan one..hahaha

Hi Chris, great to hear from you again... no lah, mil is here for the timing being coz hubby is travelling. There is at least someone to watch over the 3 kids in case I go into labour but it has been a rough time for us to coexist in the same house all day long. Sigh!

Hi najmom, my edd is supposed to be 17th Dec.. (1 wk earlier than yours). Went to see gynae today and she said she can induce me next week. So I asked her about 09-12-09 or 12-12-09... haha... and she said my baby may not wait till the 12th... so she said it is more likely 09-12-09, if not earlier. So we shall wait some more... and thankfully, daddy will be back tomorrow night. That is one load off my mind at last.

Thanks Lydia, will hang in there. I really hope this will be a smooth delivery... I kept telling myself, last time already... so, just grit my teeth n get thru it!

hi lydia , thanks for the encouragement..

hi chris, are you a SAHM or working? for me , SAHM holidays mean more chaos at home..hehehe...

Hi M&M,
phew, baby decided to wait for daddy eh? good girl...Good luck ya, 09/12/09 nice number..i'm going for my checkup and VE on that day..maybe we'll deliver on the same day? hehehe...usually after VE, i go into labour that nite..

Hi m&m,
At least you have mil to help you. No worry, it is generation gap. Older thinking and the way she brought up kids would be diff from us. Close one eye loh... as long as our kids grow up healthy and happy will do.

Hi Najmom,
What is SAHM? Me and hubby working full time with two maids at home. One take care of baby ( 7mth old ) and the other one do housework. The other 3 kids are in childcare & studentcare. No parent / parent-in law to help me
sad.gif

Hi mommies,

my #4 finally arrived in SH on 09.12.09! She is 38wk 6 days old when born. I went for my checkup on 08.12 and when the gynae checked me, there was only 1cm dilation and no contractions at all. She wanted me to wait further. I had wanted 12.12.09 but the hosp here dun do inductions/c sections here on weekends, so I told her I wanted to induce on 09.12 instead.

I came into the hospital at 9am and got strapped to the monitor. Turned out that I was having 10 min contractions but it wasn't painful for me. Pitocin was administered at 10am and it became 2-3 min contractions. No pain for me then too, just tightness. Gynae then came in to burst my waterbag at 1pm and 1.58pm came my princess... Whew, I only had 1 hour of labour pain from 1pm onwards and she was out! I really thanked God for the smooth and fast delivery. It had been a scary time for me during this period coz I kept wondering who would take care of the rest of my kids when I go into labour. At least, everything is over now and I can finally say I am a proud mom of 4 kids! :D Thanks so much for all the encouragements... will still need to learn so much from you mommies on how to cope with so many... haha...

Najmom, your turn anytime now???

WOW congrats M&M!! happy for you, mum of 4 now eh? hehe..don't worry you'll cope well, just need some adjusting. You labour seems short eh.. you didn't feel pain during the contrations? God's miracle at work..

me still waiting lah, no contractions feeling..went for checkup yesterday..week 37, baby is 3kg already..head very near cervix, my gynae don't want to check cervix, he said next wk.so wait lah...need to go and walk2 more..naturally induce labour..hehehe...

hope my labour would be as short as yours..take care ya, follow your confinement to rejuvenate your body after the deliver...furthermore, we already went through afew pregnancies...hehehe

m&m...Congrat Congratsssssssss.................

becos ur already #4 liao tat's why it'll be faster and faster and time will be shorter snd shorter lor....so how heavy is your little princess?..^-^

Dont worry la najmom....yours will be the same also...^-^

lydia,

that's what they say, labour will be shorter.but my number 4 slow..10hrs..maybe cos induced?

i haven't get any BH contractions , worried baby might get too comfy inside....then cant really be there for my kids 1st day in school..my daugh entering nursery and 2nd one joining pri 1...*pity* them..

Najmom,

Yeah I think it's becos of the induced becos bb not ready to come out yet mah...once it's time should be very fast..hehehe

talk talk to bb la..

hi Lydia, my little gal is 2.93kg. Smaller than what my gynae estimated but she is healthy and strong. That is already good enough for me. She also suckles really strong, so hopefully that will bring in my milk supply soon.

hi najmom, I was just like your case! My #3 took 11 hours to be delivered! That's why I was also very worried that this one will take as long. For this one, it was really fast and I didn't feel any pain for the part when I was having contractions between 2-3 mins. I really thank God for that coz I was praying for a painfree labour and He is so good. It was the same for the 1st 3... I hardly felt much pain when I dilated to 4cm but that is also scary coz I dunno how much I have progressed. Anyway, dun worry. Like what Lydia said, it will be fast once baby is ready. Oh, just to add on. I only had BH the day before I was induced and that was 38 weeks 5 days liao.

Hi m&m,
Congrats !!!!!!!
Glad to hear of your short labour. It was the same as my 2nd one. I was joking with the 2 nurses while pushing the baby out on the other side. The labour was so short that I didn't have enough time to take the pain killer. HeeHee...
Well, rest more and don't surf the net for long period. It's not good to your eye ... and eat more 'bu' soup ...

Hi Najmom,
So, counting down and getting ready ya. I wish your labour is as short too. Don't worry ya. As for your girl enter to nursery, you can put her in earlier or anytime, rite ? No need to wait till Jan. I think the Dec's fee can be pro-rated. I feel that it is good to put her there now so that you can bring her there and accompany her for a few days. Normally young kid will need a week to get use to nursery.

m&m,

baby small is ok, as long as healthy.take care ya, rest well...good that your baby sucking strong..SS will come on the 4th day...

me been having false alarm, BH on and off.Yesterday, the whole day BH, then nothing...waiting game very tiring lah..but told baby wait until big sister's nursery orientation which is today...hehehe..this baby like playing hide and seek..gynae said head is big maybe thats the reason?

Lydia,
Think so, induced baby is not ready so thats why longer time...so this one just wait lah...but getting anxious...

Chris,

If i send her later, then the rest of the class adjusted and she might feel left out? classes are closed in dec :) i feel sad can't be there for her..girls are more attached to mother? although my hubby will accompany her for the 1st wk..

Thanks, mschan!

I m trying to settle in with the new baby... somehow, got some postnatal blues. Just felt down n started crying for no reason. I wonder why coz I was fine for my 2nd n 3rd kid. I sure hope these negative feelings will go away soon. Hubby has been quite supportive though, bathing n changing the baby as well as handle the kids. I thot I shld feel better but somehow I dun... I kept thinking about things that made me sad.

m&m,

Normally for the first 2 weeks it's normal to feel helpless and blues..becos your body just went through a hard battle and you are maybe feeling how are you going to cope with 4 kids when you imagine they run abt..hahaha...relax a bit and rest more...you'll be fine...

Remember we're all here for you...cheer up!!!!!

Thanks Chris for your well wishes.

Thanks for your encouragement too, Lydia.

I saw my gynae today while bringing my baby for her checkup. Told her of my uncontrollable crying. She told me that different pregnancies will hv different experiences, that's why I won't feel the same even after having so many kids. I felt a lot of feelings all coming together. Hubby made a comment 2 days ago n it kept ringing in my head. He said #3 used be the apple of my eyes and now, no more... as much as he has said it in jest, it brought a lot of guilt in me. I can't help feeling the way I do. And to a certain extent, I dun even want to handle the other 3 older kids as I am so tired from breastfeeding throughout the night and yet, I feel guilty too. I dunno about how you ladies coped with that part of the feelings and caregiving. I wanted so much to rest in the room alone while the baby is sleeping, yet I felt bad for doing so and neglecting the rest. My gynae kept telling me that all these feelings are very much hormonal and she u/s how I can't control them. She suggested taking Chinese meds, accupuncture or taking Prozac if it worsens. She told me to monitor it for a week and see how it goes.

Hi m&m,
Don't think so much lah... now must rest more and eat well to have nutrition milk to feed your baby. It's normal to feel blue coz physically our "happy" hormonce dropped after given birth. So, you must control yourself not to fall into depression during this period. The hormonce will go back to the balance soon.
Last time, I also have this guilty feeling but I control myself not to cry coz it is bad for the eyes. Our body is quite weak after the labour so must give yourself two weeks to recover before attending to/playing with the older kids. Let's daddy have a good bonding with them ya while you rest and sleep as much as possible to get well soon
happy.gif

Hi Najmom,
True that girl is more attached to mum. So, it is good that your husband accompany her for the 1st week at new school. If your girl more attach to you and you are there to take her to school then when you are leaving she will cry hard, right ? But if daddy leaving, maybe she just cry a little while only...and then play with other kids... kekeke.
As for me, I always leave this job to my husband
happy.gif

m&m,

Part of it becos of hormonce which yet to adjust back to normal tat's why you will pick on everything,every moment to feel why you must do this,why you feel tat way...

sometimes even a small or normal comments which also can make you feel upset or feel being unfair....

For myself,bb sleep after the feeding I will try to get some rest,sometimes I will make use of this period of time (abt 1 1/2 hr) to talk to my other 3 kids,hugging them telling them mommy love them also...

Try to occupied yourself,so tat you will not think so much of "blue"...

you will get over it,dont worry..when you see your bb smiling at you,you will feel everything you had done all worth it...

Cheersssss up..

hi mummies

i have given birth on the 15th 2.16am..officially mum of 5 ...short labour...right now, my breast engorged and baby not a good sucker...

m&m

take care ya, hormones and adjusting to new baby can be overwhelming...don't let it control you..

my 4th is giving me a headache but choose to close 1 eye...she's too young to understand

Congrats, najmom! Now, our babies' birthdays are 6 days apart! So happy for you that it is finally over also... ahh... now it is back to breastfeeding days ah? I also had bad engorgement on day 4... tried pumping with my manual Avent pump w/o success. Hurt like crazy. Then I started using my electric Ameda dual pump and the letdown came. I am so relieved coz the pain from engorgement is excruciating! I totally understand how you are feeling now. I massaged an entire night to clear the clogged ducts... fingers almost broken!

My #3 has been wrecking havoc too. He kept wanting to snatch the baby from my arms. He said he wanted to carry mei mei... but obviously, got to help him since he is only 2.5 yo. Then he would jump on the bed while I breastfeed her, so I have to watch out for him all the time. The 2 older ones kept fighting non stop as well and I really don't feel like dealing with them at all. I have told hubby that he has to deal with them during this period coz I am really not in the right frame to do that now. Hopefully these kids will behave and not exasperate me...

Thanks ladies, for your encouragement. I am feeling a little better. Hopefully the sense of depression won't come back. It is hard to shake off when it does.

<font size="+2"><font color="0000ff">CONGRATS TO M&amp;M &amp; NAJMOM</font></font>
Hey mummies, you both are doing great! I really can't take it with just 2 rascals in my lift ald. Not to mention all of you here. must present award to you all. kekee!

Shoo away the blue depression M&amp;M is facing now. I am sure it will pass and definitely must pass away. You take care of yourself well k?

Thanks Jas! Time to consider another one?!? I am so thankful for my #4. It feels so heartwarming to carry a newborn again tho it was only 2.5 yrs ago that I had my #3.

Najmom....Congrat........^-^

m&amp;m...I also will miss those time when they are babies and so sweet and always sleep like a piggy &amp; the milk and baby smell on them..hahaha...but when they start to walk ard,it's a headache...hahahaha...

Hi Najmom,
Congrats !!! to the mum of 5.
I'm so proud of you. Glad that you have a short labour.
Take care &amp; enjoy your new born.

Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year to mommies here! Bet the house must be bustling with kids' laughter with all the presents today!

Hi najmom, anyone helping with you with confinement? Hope you have a great time with your 5 precious gifts too :D!

hi mummies,

merry christmas to you and happy new year

finally, got time...my baby has develop a pattern..cluster feed from 1-6pm then bath time, nap for 2-3 hrs..feed until 12am..sleep until 3-4am...

the cluster feeding, makes me glued to my sofa..my hubby must be sian cos everytime, he saw me i'm breastfding...hehehe

now its the hols i can relax, wonder when the school starts how i'll cope...quite worried..

m&amp;m

how are you? my hubby is on leave for 1 mth..he's doing all the hsework, taking care of the other 4 and my dad sends my food...

so i just focus on the newborn for now.....sometimes quite depressing cos no5 breastfding round the clock...and i can't give much attention to the rest...hope he settle down soon...

hi najmom,

my hubby has been on leave since I delivered as well but he will be going back to work tomorrow, in fact, travelling again for 4 days. My mil is here to cook for me. Other than that, diapering n bathing are handled by hubby and myself.

I know how you are feeling coz I m feeling the same way too. Even when the baby is not feeding, I feel so tired physically n emotionally to give attention to the rest. My baby sleeps quite a bit in the day time but I feel quite exhausted after the night feeding and I am someone who can't nap in the day either. So I will just laze around watching tv even when I am not sleeping... but I just can't quite bring myself to care for the older kids at this point. I guess it will take 1 month for our babies to settle down. In the meantime, I try not to think too much and set any expectations for myself. I guess I just need to focus on the newborn for now.

It is comforting to know we are both in the same situation and that I am not alone. Let's hang in there! Jiayou!

hi m&amp;m

its nice to know we are in the same boat. how you coping without your hubby/ hope you doing ok...my hubby been taking the 4 kids out, leaving me and baby at alone..do you go out during confinement? its soo boring but need to rest right...

you take care, how's your breastfeeding?

hi najmom, mil is here to cook, so I just have to basically care for the baby but it has been tiring taking care of her whole night. Hubby usually does the diaper changing at night but now I hv to do it. I m going to bathe her the 1st time today too coz hubby has been doing it since day 1. Hahaha.... so paisey.... hope I wont fumble...

Your hubby is so supportive! So nice of him to bring all 4 kids out. Hubby only dare to bring the 2 older ones out last wk. He said he doesnt dare to cope with #3. Also, we din quite want to take the risk coz we heard of a lot of child kidnapping in China. So I think 2 is just nice for him to keep track when he brings them out. It is quite scary when you think about kids being kidnapped and never seeing them again.

Haha... I am quite ill disciplined this time during confinement. Went out many times liao... and it is super cold now - 0-6 degrees on most days. I just felt I needed to go out coz I was feeling so depressed in the 1st week. I felt that my mental state at that point mattered more but I did take precautions like wearing hat n thick jacket.

I m on total breastfeeding. The gal suckles very well, so it is very smooth. How about you? Do take care and rest well too. I like to be alone with the baby during this period somehow. Then when she sleeps, I will just surf net. Hahha.... boh chap mom.... My baby is 3 wks old already... so fast! and I just hope time will slow down coz I m enjoying her babyhood so much!

hi m&amp;m,

i'm bf and surfing the net..your hubby soo gd , change diaper and bathe baby..my hubby will only help with baby when asked..

today, i did the cooking myself..pity my dad had to cook for me and take care of my ill mum...

its scary to hear abt kidnapping. its soo cold over there..you take care.

yesterday, went to my mum's place 4 sis bday celebration.was refreshing..my hubby insisted i follow.he probably tot i looked depressed..but MIL kind of check on us see if we're at home..she'll call everyday ;-P

i think i need a double stroller,esp when hubby not around to fetch the kids

I was bathing my #3 yesterday and started to wonder if the rest of you mommies who had many kids are like me. I mean, we can't possible stick strictly to the usual confinement practice and do nothing but stay in bed all day long for 1 month, right? My china ayi (helper) kept commenting that I am not doing my confinement properly now, next time will suffer. She said I should be lying down the entire day for the whole month but how to? I have 3 other kids running around and mil is not doing much except for cooking. Old folks said not to touch water much but I need to wash my pump n sterilize my bottles and I can't ask my mil to do it. Previously I engaged a CL and she would do all these washing for me. Now, different mah. Sigh.... I wanted to do a proper confinement since this could be my last one but it is really not possible.

Najmom, how are you feeling? Hope you are feeling more cheery after going out for a breather. School reopens today, so it should be better since kids are back in school. My kids only start school tomorrow and I am looking forward to that. I guess you are like me, can't rest totally either. Cook something simple and rest if you can. Hope your mom is better as well. Take care!

Congrats m &amp; m and najmom,

Happy blessed new yr to you all great mommies here too!

School has started and back to normal routine again

m7m, ya, with my no. 4 confinement, i didn't rest well too, like what you said, still got 3 others to gao tim, despite help from hb, cl and others.

I had to help my dds' with their exams during my confinement too
sad.gif
.. Also had to wash pump and help no.3 when he went toilet.. Seems impossible not to touch water right? Wipe your hands as dry asap after touching water.

So after their exams, I just shut both eyes, and let them do drawing, playing, whatever, but no noise, so I could rest.. if there's argument, I'll say, that's it, all go and nap, don't co operate, don't play.. hehe.. Then, I'll schedule, they take turns to do computer progs

I know it's not easy, try your best to rest your back on bed as and when you can, and I also drank lots of dom, ate food with rice wine and dom and sesame oil.. and i tried to have this diet even after the 30 days confinement. Now that SH is super cold, can drink more dom to "bu" your body :0

Take care , m&amp;m and najmom!

hi, M&amp;m and Choc06

Yeah, i totally agree with you that with more kids can't do confinement properly.its easier for ppl to comment when its us who has to handle and go through it all.. it would be lovely to rest in bed only and have everything done for us but that is impossible when you hve young kids running around the hse, diapers need to change and feed them.bla,bla,bla...

1st day of sch...my daugh's nursery starts at 8am..so far she didn't cry on first day..she said she enjoyed herself..

the 2 elder ones are in the afternoon session..mornings are chaotic, cook, bath the young ones, feed them , send and fetch the kids..now that they are off to school..its soo peaceful !!! i could fall asleep...

btw, how often do you bath the baby? what time you bath her? i'm trying to schedule everything, the bathing, cooking, etc...

I feel like going out, maybe go and look for twin stoller..hehehe

hi Choc06, Happy New Year to you too! Your description of how you did your confinement and the situation at home seems almost like what I am going thru now! Haha... at least I know I am not the only one. My #3 also needs help with going to the toilet and I had to bathe him in the evenings too. The 2 older ones can settle themselves, so at least that is only 1 to settle. You mentioned about how you asked them to go and nap when they have arguement... it is exactly like what I said to my kids too! Hahha.... and I will also schedule them to play computer. At least that will keep them occupied.

Hi najmom, very tiring now, right? You know, I was so busy yesterday that I didnt even get to lie down once during the entire day. I had to pump milk, feed, bathe the baby, settle #1-3. So glad that #1&amp;2 went back to school today.

As it is winter now, I only bathe the baby once every 2 days, usually around noon time. I read in a leaflet here that says we shldn't bathe babies daily everyday coz that will deplete the skin of the natural oil. So, on alternate days, I will use warm water to wipe her face and wash the diaper area.

Go out for breather if you need to. That helps a lot in lifting our spirits during this time. Sometimes I think the confinement rules bring some negativity as well. I personally think that there should be a balance and it is hard to adhere to every rule. Twin stroller will be convenient, esp with a toddler in tow! I usually sling my baby. I have 5 sarong slings which I interchanged. I used to sling my older ones till they were about 2yrs plus. I find that easier to breastfeed coz I dun hv to hunt for nursing rooms. I m toying with engaging a full time helper here coz hubby travels very often and I m coping alone with 4 kids but the thought of training the helper is very sien.

M&amp;M,Choc,najmom,

I also touch water here and there when confinement,no one is here to do for me when I give birth except my hubby. He will try to do whatever he can before he leave for work but....cant wait for him to come back &amp; leave everything/other kids right?..

I also went out a few times even though elderly will say we shuldnt but sometimes it's so temping to do so esp all along had been going out with kids,so poor thing to make them suffer for 1mth with me at home,they sure will be very boring..hahaha..

Thanks Choc06, najmom &amp; Lydia for the sharing. It makes me feel a lot more assured and normal that I am not the only one who has to 'work' during confinement. Perhaps I am not totally past my postnatal blues but I am pretty perturbed by small trivial issues and this happens to be one of them.

My gal is officially 4 wks old today (28 days), so my confinement is almost over! Thank God that my recovery this time is really fast and I hardly felt much pain with the episotomy wound just on the 2nd day. I must say I am thankful I have gotten a very good gynae here who cares a lot and is so gentle.

I really think you ladies who spent the 1st month w/o a confinement lady or any help apart from hubby, are really superb! It is really not easy. My mil is here and even so, I feel that I hardly have time for every child. We haven't gone out as a family for 1 month already. I think our lives need to get back to normal once the baby is older. My husband kept asking me to consider getting a live-in help as he travels every other week. I have initially thought of just continuing with my part time helper who does housework. He said I should have another adult in the house. I am in a dilemma and I can't quite think straight now. My other problem will be cooking and feeding #3. He feeds himself sometimes but he would walk around after halfway thru, so he still needs us to go after him to finish up the other half portion. What do you ladies do with meals? I can't just cook as and when I want to because the baby sometimes wakes up and feeds for an hr and #3 still needs to eat too. It is hard to control timing alone with a baby and a 2yo toddler.

m&amp;m,

Times will flies and you will see to it tat your gal will be from crawling,walking and running in no times...hahaha..

observe the feeding time of your bb,try to make it a routine of the day so tat you can do other things according to the timing,for example her timing normally ends at 4pm then the next one will be ard 5.30-6pm you will need to cook btween 4.15-5pm.

Thanks Lydia. Till now, my gal's sleeping timing is still not consistent, so it can be quite hard to get ard a routine yet. My mil left suddenly 2 weeks ago and I had to scramble to get a daytime helper to come in on that very day. My helper basically helps me with the laundry, housework and feeding #3 in the daytime. She leaves at 7pm after giving him dinner. #3 is very sticky to me, so I still had to attend to him at other times. Hubby is practically travelling every weekday now, so I am on my own most of the time. The worst is when baby is crying and I can't put #3 to bed as a result. I am feeling so exhausted everyday... just had to wait till all of them grow up! It is really not easy to care for so many kids w/o hubby around. I hope I won't get depressed... He would be away for the next 2 wks apart from weekends and I am not looking forward to it.

Najmom, how are you? Hope you are settling well with #5. I guess you are busy busy too. I was just telling hubby that it is scary to look at the amount of laundry we have now. I came from a family of 2 gals and our laundry seems so much lesser. Now, I am trying to get used to what it is like to have a big family - whole tableful of food during meals outside and loads of laundry to do. Haha...

m&amp;m,dont worry..eveything will go back to the right place..

I understand how you feel becos there was one time my hubby need to travel to overseas to work for almost 6 mths but I didnt get any help from my mil becos I know I wont be able to get along with her so rather dont want her to be here to get into my life..(Very bad of me ha but it's true)...sign

You're a very great lady and great mother,to be alone in overseas is not going to be easy,how I wish you're in Singapore whereby we can on and off visit you and help you a bit..

hang on there,m&amp;m and Najmom..we're so proud of you 2...

m&amp;m and najmom,
yup, hang in there , dh was also a frequent flyer when i gave birth to no.3, I couldn't bathe at times and wished I had help, but like lydia, not mil's help, hehe..
This stage is tough for both of you, but time will fly very fast.

I always have piles and piles of clothes sitting on my sofa waiting to be folded and put away, and tons that need to be ironed.. chores are never ending.. kids wanting my attention, hungry, etc..Got to operate like a sotong with many hands and be a multi tasker
So i told myself not to be too hard on myself ,have some happy food like cakes and coffee ;) so weekends, I'm always out to get some sanity

Have a good weekend, you great ladies

Hi mummies,

Long time I didn't log in. Things has not been good with me. Two maids at home didn't work out well and I feel very stress and always has rows with hb.

Now I'm ok liao. Maids' issue also better. I'm still learning how to cope with 4 kids, struggle to divide my time with them. Hope to have quality time with individual but this seems impossible. My 3rd one getting extremely sticky and moody since my 4th came along. I have tried to talk to her but I don't think she can understand since she is just 27mth old.

My 4th is extremely active. He cannot sit still. Now he is just started to crawl, he wanted to run and jump. I feel so exhaused at home expecially during weekend. Sigh...

Back