(2010/11) November 2010 MTB

Babywonder ~ thanks

Jovialz and enmummy ~ thanks. So if i want to stop by end of this month, i shld start reducing the number of pumps now? should i start substituting one feed with fm now or is i better after baby turns exactly 6months?

So we still need to cook the apples before feeding them? Initially i thought just scrap the apple with spoon and feed..

lim mui siew: lol, i actually like the taste of breastmilk hahaha. Especially the one that has been cooled in the fridge. Very fresh hahaha. The frozen ones have soapy taste. Very yucky to me. So I donated all my frozen EBM away.. :p So far I can still supply my bb fresh ones, with FM once or twice a day. Dont have the heart to give my bb the yucky taste BM.

I remember one mommy here said she had too much expressed breastmilk, so she mixed them with her milo.. :D

nelotte: U like the taste of breastmilk? Yes, i know its fresh, but it has a veri raw taste to me..or is it only my breastmilk that taste like that? haha.. U donated all yr frozen EMB to who? I also dun have to give my bb yucky BM, but its suppose to be better than FM and then i m donating away my EBM and giving baby FM?

Nah, i would neber wanna drink the BM after i tried it..haha :p i wonder if its okie i mixed cooled breastmilk together with frozen one so that it wun taste so bad...

I attended the weaning talk by my pd on sat. He recommend to start off with white rice cereal n fine puree.. When to start depending on whether Bb is ready. Hmm.. Maybe can ask him for the slides n share with u all when I next see pd

Hubby find the Ebm got a rusty smell though he din taste it.. Haha.. I only managed to froze a few packets of Ebm for rainy days.. So far have not tried but heard from other mummies Tat it may have a fishy taste... Oh u mean Bb may reject the milk??

One colleague had so much fbm tat she can do a milk bath.. Wow!

Hubby find the Ebm got a rusty smell though he din taste it.. Haha.. I only managed to froze a few packets of Ebm for rainy days.. So far have not tried but heard from other mummies Tat it may have a fishy taste... Oh u mean Bb may reject the milk??

One colleague had so much fbm tat she can do a milk bath.. Wow!

Haplee : yes, baby will reject frozen bm. I had a hard time trying to train my girl to take it. We went the cold turkey method so she has to hv it. Now she takes 1 feed of frozen ebm a day. Some times can tell it's frozen by the amt she leaves behind. Sigh.

Lim Mui Siew: mine doesnt taste raw. Taste sweet leh. Hubby likes it too hahaha.

Yeah frozen BM is better than FM, but still I dont have the heart to give to my bb coz of the yucky taste.

I donated by posting it on the Exchange/Free items section in SMH forum. Some mommies contacted me. One even asked me if I can supply her twin babies 60 packs of EBM regularly.. lol

Hi mummies,

I'm a new member here I have a question to ask here I had kept frozen milk for my baby before I went back to work 1 mth ago, however my baby tends to poo more often after drinking frozen milk. I checked with my PD he said is normal I wondering any mummy here have the same problem pls share. Thanks.

Thanks mummies for asking abt my ger condition. Today she amused me by flipping left right and it also means challenging for me when changing her diaper...struggling with her! Haha

Btw does any of you here use those babyland or bumwear cloth diaper? Is it like the traditional cloth diaper whereby have to change each time bb pee? Am thinking of getting some to try out since my ger bum quite prone to diaper rash...

Orangebb,

we are teochew n my #1 calls my mil mama Yes he called her b4 me cos I teach him to call me mummy. Now he can call us mama differently ,no confusion. The first word he said was dada then soon became daddy. He called me daddy quite sometime b4 he learnt to say mummy

Zoe hung : my girl drinks 1 feed of frozen ebm a day but poo once every 5 days. But I noticed that if she doesn't poo for about 3-4 days, I will replace more feeds with frozen ebm. How old is ur baby? My girl used to poo very often also, until 3.5 mth old, she suddenly changed to once every other day, then 2 days then to now 5 days. Pd says it's normal n they will suddenly change their habit.

Ching,

It is recommend for baby to be on BM at least for 6 months. Thus if you can, try to continue until 6 months old. I'm hoping to be able breastfeed for as long as I can up to 2 years. Then after 6 month , start by subtitute the feed at the timing that you want to feed with FM.

As for reduce number of pump , it's to prevent engorement. By dragging the interval, you are telling your body that there is less demand, please produce less. Cold cabbage would be great to ease the pain (if any).

Jovialz I give my boy fresh or cooled (from the fridge) ebm I dun hv frozen one. All the ebm are consumes within 24hrs but somehow he just prefer fm. I too find bm sweet so I also dunno why he dun like that haiz

And yes the moment we reduce the no of pump supply will drop.. I have tested and proven it haha.. For me my intention is not to reduce them but I simply cant pump regularly and as a result my supply dropped and I can only have enuff for 2 or 3 feed per days...

PTB7476,

Ya, I still hv the supply, but the price for it is tireness lor....SLEEP is what I need most...but no choice, coz back to work le cant nap in the afternoon anymore.

Orangebb,

My boy call both of his grandma ah ma. Although my MIL is a teochew, she try to ask him to call her nai nai to differentiate but I dun see the need and I think he know how to differentiate them apart so no need to call differently. So, wat i did was alway in front of my mil tell my boy to call ah ma. But she also smart, everytime will tell my son to call her nai nai when I am not around. But I will alway tell my son to call ah ma, when I found out lor...

i just found out today that my nanny was only feeding my bb milk twice at her house! and noon time is porridge. Thats all, 2x milk is definitely too little, she's there from 8am till abt 7pm lor! Got pretty upset after hearing this, i told her to feed at 3hrly interval from tmr onwards! She's never had only 2 feeds during weekends or the last 4mths during my maternity when i take care of her.... woes of FTWM

koori > oh dear, gt me worry for ur bb whn i heard tat she only has 2 fd of milk in almost 12hrs! Y the nanny lik tat? Hopefully she wil follow ur instruction fr nw on. Well, at least she was honest abt it. Sm nanny lie abt it, esp whn bb is on milk strike n their too lazy or no patient to fd the bb.

Sharon : If im nt wrong , i started my ger ard 4mths and texture of apple puree is a little watery then slowly thicker consistency [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ching: U r most welcome!

Im still trying hard to pump n pump thgh I yield very little nowadays..hopefully can go beyond 6mths [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] shall do it till really there's no more BM..haha...

Naf: i hav bumwear but seems hot for bb.... Now we r using disposable diaper back

If u wan, i still hav 4 piece unused but wash b4 (coz recommended to wash few times b4 use for better absoption).

..... Think i will ask my boy to call my mil ah ma4, whether she ask him to call him ma4 ma4.

I prefer bb call me ma1 ma1.

No wonder my maid keep telling baby i am mummy. Coz she find it difficult to differentiate ma4 ma4 n ma1 ma1.

Chris - cos she say she feeds bb porridge noon time and she ate alot. but still - 2x only throughout the 10-12hrs there is WAY TOO LITTLE, sad.

Wonder if i shld change nanny and another bad news she sent me she wanted to increase her rate from $600 to $750, drastic jump of $150, she wan me to jump isist? I got feeling she doesnt want take care of my bb now so resorted to such tactics. Any advice?

koori: 2 feeds really too little...lucky you found out early...

jo: haha...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] ya lor i also never really browse things from there but i remembered you saying cannot find so kpo go and take a look...hehe..and its really there...for rafferty garden's they have the puree range at the bb section...not too sure about the cereal though...

mui_siew: i start off with 1 tablespoon to see whether my bb likes it...i actually don't have a fixed water/milk ratio cos' the first time i tried to calculate also...haha...the cereal ended up quite watery...so now i just add water/milk bit by bit till i get the consistency i want...for first feeding maybe you can make a bit more runny first and see how your baby takes to it...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] my baby can finish one tablespoon easily so now she is taking 2-3 tablespoons for one meal a day...the rest of the feeds she is still taking BM/ FM...

this is how much my gal is taking right now (she is on 120 ml feed every 3-3.5 hrly)..

for e.g. if she takes 3 tbsp cereal i will also give her another 70 ml milk in the same meal...last time when she was taking 1 tbsp i top up about 100 ml of milk for her...

sometimes i give her 1 tbsp of mashed avocado mixed with 2 tbsp cereal and top up another 70 ml milk...

this is just my own estimate for my bb...so far this amount can last her a milk feed's interval....if your bb is a big/small eater you might have to adjust the amount accordingly...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hpc: what is this magic seal product? how much did you pay for it...i also very scared of lizards entering my house...does it fend off mozzies efficiently as well?

jovialz: thanks..i tink pull up pants are easier when they can stand and walk already so i will continue stocking up my mamy poko...haha...and hey thanks for sharing on the pigeon spoon...i like the fact that you say it does not touch the table top...that's interesting...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

breastmilk

to me it taste sweet leh...my bb loves drinking BM but my supply so so only...:p soon she will be on full FM liao...any babies here on Mamil Gold or Similac? (sorry to re-post this question again)...

koori: got a feeling your nanny might have gotten a better offer to take care of another bb...maybe someone want to ask her to take care for $750 so she is making you retreat on your own...

that's how i feel la....maybe i am wrong...

Ermmm: Thanks for sharing. My boy is coming to 5 mth this week & my mum will give him 3 to 4 feedings frozen BM (depends on his needs) & 1 feeding is FM. He will poo 3 to 4 times everyday after drinking the frozen BM so my my mum is complaining frozen BM is not good for baby's stomach. However when I latch him during weekend he still poo but lesser maybe 2 times each day. I wondering whether frozen BM is not suitable for my baby.

Naf: I'm using Bumwear. They have the square cloth diaper. I havent got the chance to use it coz too lazy to wash with hot water etc. So mine are still wrapped in packaging. But I use their One Size Pocket Diapers. This one is adjustable with many buttons. I use them regularly for daytime but my boy's thigh too big leh so cant button properly. So sometimes, it leaks.

I also use One Size Pocket Diapers from Fuzzy Buns, Happy Heinz and Bumgenius. So far, I found them better than Bumwear becoz they fit my boy with his chubby thigh better.

With these cloth diaper, u need to change every 2-3 hrs to prevent rash. In daytime, I can use up to 4 diapers, but they are definitely more economical and healthier than the disposable ones.

Koori,

I would change cos she's not following yr instructions to feed bb. She will continue to do that. Old ppl v stubborn. They feel that they know more than us.

Koori,

I agree with Ueno. 3 feed include porridge is little. Should be at least 4 feeds. I'm also surprised that she start porridge so young . Now the most should be watery brown rice cereal only.

Just some reminder ,

No honey for baby yet - must be at least 1 year old. Risk of botulism poisoning cause they digest system unable to process the spore.

Zoe,

Any possibility that your mum didn't warm up the FBM sufficiently ?

Do you feed FM on weekends ? Cos breastmilk is very easy for baby to fully digest and absorb thus baby tends to poo much lesser than baby given FM.

enmummy: My bb gal is a small eater..i shall start off abit first for the cereal..thanks for your info..

My bb on mamil gold HA before..my paedician recommend HA cos she say that its better for my bb cos i have history of asthma..i just got a sample tin of mamil gold 2 for babies 6 mths and above..u can request for a sample too...its 400g tin free..

nelotte: Yes, breastmilk is sweet when i taste a few drops when testing whether its warm or not...but there was one time that my bb refuse to drink her milk, so i drink like 20ml cos i feel its a waste...haha..then it taste weird when i drink that much cos its sweet + taste of rawness..haha

Mummies who are breastfeeding,

From my GP, Do note that Korzan (Hope I didn't spell wrongly) that is commonly used for throat inflammation will reduce breastmilk supply. It has another call Danzen (or something like that).

Jovialz: No I didn't give FM during weeekend I fully latch as I don't have much time to pump out only me & hubby taking care the baby at home. During weekdays I will thaw my FBM in my house & next day bring to my mum before I go to work. My mum did warm up the FBM in warm water for a few min she very scare to give my boy cold milk so she will make sure it is warm. Could it be my baby's stomach really cannot take FBM?

Hi Charlene,

I'm using S26 right now. Can I get yours? Please PM me as u dont accept PM. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Mui_siew: any problems with poo poo when ur bb take mamil gold? For the sample, they deliver to ur home isit? Thanks [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Azz,

Not necessary mean FM not suitable just that baby given FM tends to poo more cos FM not as easy to digest as BM. As long as stool is not too watery and baby didn't poo more than times than the number of feed he have, it should be alright. If you wish, can try not to feed FM for a week and see if the situation improve.

Do note that FBM should be consumed within 24 hr after thaw.

If your supply is used at quite a fast rate, you might want to leave your milk in refrigerator compartment rather than freeze them. Fresh pumped milk can be stored in refrigerator for a few days. But always transport your BM in cooler bag.

enmummy: No leh, she doesnt have any problesm with poo when she took mamil gold..of cos the poo poo will look abit different la and she prefer BM over FM..

Yes, for the sample, they deliver rite to yr door step..i just receive it yesterday..good service haha..

Charlene: what happen to ur bb?

Koori: 2 feeds a day is way too little including porridge.. ur bb is hw many months and hw can she feed porridge without ur permission? u might want to consider changing...and she cant just ask for increment like tat...

Babywonder: so u add water to the apple puree on the initial stage?

Ching: initially i also thot just scarp and give the apple like tat but apparently by steaming and then blend the apple will not turn yellow...

Jo: thanks for the link..

Jovialz : thanks for sharing. Now I know why my supply was lesser. Haha.. I tot it was just cos I'm sick n tired cos I'm owo at nite these 2 weeks.

Jovialz, thanks for the advice. My baby will be 6months old end of this month. Start reducing the number of pump ydaz, hope the supply does nt drop too much. My baby also poos alot, my mum said like that got absorb the bm nutrients or not. Thanks for sharing that the number of poo nt mre than number of feeds is fine, i can go tell my mum thay [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Sharon, luckily i hvnt feed my baby the apple straightaway yet.. Going to try using avent blend n steamer to do the apple for baby, hopefully she likes it.

So when baby start on cereal, we just have to subsitute one feed with cereal then the rest still fm or bm? Is frisocrem gd?

Hammiebao, y she do tat??? Must monitor bb in case not suitable for any ingredient in the ice cream...

My mil and ur mil can make friends...last time fed potato chips to my eldest when he was a baby nia...

Wah.. I don't know why she do that, my hubby ask her she still deny.. Only hubby said "don't bluff, there's chocolate stained on bb's lips!" then she smile smile say "little bit only lah".. I was boiling inside lor!!

Yours also very li hai, feed potato chips!! Haiz how our hubby grow up till so old? Haha..

Hammiebao:

What is your mil thinking? Your bb is not a toy. Do observe your bb in case of allergic reactions, esp if the choc ice-cream contain nut ingredients.

Up till now, my #1 hasn't tasted ice-cream yet although she can recognise one when she sees one. We do that because we didn't want her to start on junk food too early. So no chips, chocolate and ice-cream for her for now. She loves her fruits & veg, no need to disguise her veg during meals. We only started her on nuts after her 2nd birthday.

It would be wise to get your hubby to tell his mum to ask both of you for permission before giving your bb any food, and be really firm abt it. Allergic reactions are no laughing matter.

Junk food : sigh.. My girl is definitely gonna get introduced to junk no matter how we try to restrict cos my dad will definitely try to give her sweets, chocolate and what not. My cousin used to scream at him when her girls stayed with us, but no use. So far, he hadn't cos she can't eat but dun think can be sustained for long. He already 'sya' her with fruits, cos she had been very interested in what we eat. Occasionally, let her suck on a cut apple or pear. Sigh. But when she looks at u pitifully when u r eating, hard to resist. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hammiebao, tat is why my hb follows all her bad habits...dun like to drink water...drink coke nia or rather to say survive on coke nia! Hahaha eat potato chips, junk foods, tibits...she also fed my 2nd one till I lost control and now ends up pd recently saw him and said underweight becuz my younger boy only likes sweet and tibits stuff!

hello, long time didnt drop by, busy feeding baby and my boy is having some milk strike after introducing him to solids.

my boy takes 1 feed of 2 tbsp of oats/rice cereals mixed with milk (60ml) and i add in 1-2 tbsp of puree fruit or vegs. It will come to abt 2-3 oz of food.

The rest of the day he takes FM. which is ard 4-5 feeds. But he drops his feed, now he takes max 20 oz in a day on liquid.

At first i tot was no good as he used to be taking 30 or more oz. Then i read the baby whisperer book and says if we feed baby 2 oz of solids, must deduct other feeds by 2 oz each. So i was relief.

I did tried on steaming my own pumpkin and added porridge and mashed it up with a blender. In the end, my boy totally hates it. He gives me the pukey look and gagging sounds on the first spoon. So i guess he isnt ready for porridge yet at 5mths even though all my elders (mum and mil) told me to start him on porridge. I think we should only rely on our own instincts. In fact, i felt that cereals/oats/puree fruits or vegs (even if its from the bottle/tin) is way more nutritious then just porridge. Cos in the bottle, they added in DHA, vits and minerals. in porridge, where do you get DHA, unless you add in salmon fish inside or add in supplements. IMO, its always good to still continue milk till 1 yr old or above, to get all the nutrients in the milk.

As for titbits and snacks, hmm...hard lah. Cos my hub and me are great snacks lovers. But i dun mind lah, that makes kids ...kids. They sure love sweet stuff and snacks, we are like tat when we are young too. Of cos just restrict the number of times.

Well..I am a bad example, i too..live in coca cola. But i am pretty fine. In the end its my other half who drinks only water that ended up with some diabetic problems and overweight problems. So you see, it all abt genetics sometimes. Be sure to moderate even its snacks and exercise.

Sweets and chocolates are called TREATS for a reason. Give them when they are good.

Sooner or later our babies will be introduced to tibits.. I don't mind letting my son to snack.. But def not at 4 mths old!!

hammiebao> omg, why yr mil feed a 4mo ice cream! how little's little? u have not started yr bb on semi solid right. when he starts to taste sweet (ice cream), will he end up dont like blend taste milk?

Naf> yr mil also another funny one, bb can eat potato chips? that time yr kid have teeth or not?

Tibits> same as vallous, i'm one who always drinks coke too & cant live without snacks like potato chips & chocolates. But I will not let such small age bb try these lah..at least after 1yo to try a little bit just for fun as certain stuff like honey, egg is not advisable to give to bb before 1yo isnt it..

Sharon : I did nt add any water to the apple as when i steam it there will be water ard it already so initially instead of pouring away I blend it together so tt its easy for bb to swallow for a start. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Back