(2010/10) October 2010 MTB

cyn

You are doing fine! It's tough being a FTWM so I salute all of you too!!! Don't be too harsh on urself and just do the best u can and rest while u can!!! This sahm also tired Liao!!! Can't imagine still needa work!!!!!! Jia you!!!!

cyn,

you can do it lah. i'm doing this the third time around and it actually gets managable because your experience really does contribute a lot to your efficiency level. just must remember to have enough energy and try to rest whenever you can. hubby's support is oso important. my hubby takes good care of me, so i take good care of the kids lor..

THANK YOU Shin and Melissa! Both of you have been very encouraging!

I think right now i am a "bo chup" mum, as long as Eldrick is drinking well, i am not too concern about weaning him and starting him on cereal. I only try introducing cereal to him when i am at home on weekend. Other than that,its all play and having fun bonding with him cos weekdays when i finish work and pick him up, it is his bed time, i dun get to cuddle and play with him....

re: happy baby cereal

mummies, i have emailed happy baby to ask them why the cereal tastes sweet and if it is due to the amylase, or the glucose syrup solids in the DHA. waiting for their reply. then i will update you all here. i also don't want to feed jadelyn anything that's sugar-laced as first foods. scared she will only like sweet things in future.

tiffy,

haha! i studied food science and nutrition mah... so became 2nd nature to scrutinize ingredient lists. :p

shin,

it's actually easier to work than being SAHM!! i am more peifu of you mommies who stay home actually. when jadelyn comes back in the evening, i play with her for a while, give her the last bottle for the day and she will sleep all the way from ard 8.30pm till i wake her up at 6.05am. sometimes i pick her up slightly later and my mum already fed her so nothing much for me to do except kiss her goodnight. so easy!!! facing baby day in day out 24hrs then different story. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

cyn,

same for me, i also feed her cereal during weekends only.

LOL.. i was wondering if only the HS committee member realized i posted that.. hahahaa.. should be Have you HS last night?! how can be tonight right? sounds not so right lor.. kakakaa...

Shin,

You can add the fruit puree to your cereal or feed it on its own. Doesn't matter. But do make sure that you stay with that same fruit for 3 days to test if got allergies.

starry,

wow... you actually see the ingredients and emailed them WHY?

solid!!

Cyn,

you are doing great! and I am also like you, just spend whatever time you have after work with your darling.... Jia you!

Melissa,

long time no see!

HS club got new motto ah... haha... next time even club logo also have liao... haha... good to know that your boy is doing well!

vivian,

i kpo + curious mah. 'cos don't see sugar in the list yet sweet so i wanna know why too! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I just read the ingredients and there's modified starch and the glucose thing... So dunno isit cos of those that's making it sweet??? Jac pls do update us so meanwhile I better put on hold... Healthy times is ok isit??? Maybe I go check that out [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Vivian

Thanks for reply!!!! Hehehe ok I shall try!!!!! Lol

Melissa

Wahahhaha the slogan so funny!!!

shin,

modified starch is not sweet and used a thickening agent only. could be the glucose thing. anyway see what they reply. healthy times is just pure brown rice flakes and nothing else. not sweet at all. i've tasted it before.

i tried the organix wholegrain cereal banana porridge. that one is slightly sweet due to the banana flakes.

melissa,

i happened to buy the organix tester pack that time and one of the packs is the wholegrain banana porridge. jadelyn loves it. don't think will buy anymore when it runs out. add fresh banana better.

emmie,

don't know about those red ones. only know can use the small type.

oh yah... mummies who are going to stop expressing and have leftover milk bags to let go can let me know? i sold all my lansinoh before i found out about the pregnancy. think can start stocking up if anyone is letting go of theirs. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] thanks in advance!!

Starry, that's what I know too. My dad specially bought the red ones when I told him I was going to feed Lucas banana. So I'm a little hesitant abt feeding..

Zuen, I have the same problem with my lansinoh milk bags too. my HB said that the bags are thin, so after we put the milk bags into the freezer we must be very careful when we move them after. Cos any scratch on the bag is likely to result in a tear. Happened to me afew times.. So sad when I defroze them only to find them leaking in the bowl. Lucky I usually put the defrosting bags in a bowl. If not the fridge will be leaking BM. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] Now I use Tollyjoy. Cheaper and better! hehe

suwaiwai,

i also heard before about lansinoh bags leaking after being frozen. didn't know it was so bad. previously i had just enough for jadelyn so nv once stored them in freezer before.

Melissa: no la not pg YET! Haha. waiting a few more months to try for dragon so not gonna hs tonight or any other night til then!

Starry: I tried quite a few brands of milk bags n I agree w suwaiwai, tollyjoy is better. A few leaked as well but that's my fault for squeezing e bags into e freezer like sardines in a can! Lansinoh n first years bags are so thin that they tear really easily I find especially since I really stuff them in to save space! N they r more ex. Hv u tried bellamy rice cereal? It's not brown rice but e taste n smell is really nice. No added sugar n Logan likes it better than healthy times but too bad I can't give it to him til next month. Ooh n I was watching a tv show on child food allergies there was a poor boy who is allergic to 23 diff foods n still counting! The doc says it might b because e boy was intro to solids like eggs too early. So scary. His little 1 yr old sis also started to b allergic to strawberries!

Emmie, yar l'or, hebe does not look slim but thé weighing scale always tells otherwise. And At 6mths still under 6kg really sound bad. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

I'm feeling so happy!

Kayden drank from the bottle just now after trying out whole afternoon with him.

Think it's either he was too hungry or too tired already after all the crying.

Well, nevertheless still a good start. At least I know that he can accept the FM n also know how to drink from bottle. Just that he is really sturbborn. Wen he dont wan he really dun wan. Haiz.

Mummies, any of u encounter ur bb being cranky aft a day at hm alone w daddy? Today my hb is off so took care of Logan alone most of e day n I was told he dun wana slp n dun really wana drink milk, nearly cried e house down. This happens everytime hb is off n i or my mil are not ard. I came back frm work n had a horrible time putting him to slp. He was so tired but can't seem to fall asleep n kept screaming. Usually I hv not much prob putting him to bed today was a nightmare. Dunno whether it's bcos hb is seldom hm n wen he is he is usually playing w bb, not really taking care of him?

I have a tin of Happy Bellies Brown Rice as well...Thinking of starting this weekend.

Sorry mummies, I have ALOT of questions regarding weaning...was very busy so rarely have time to post..now accumulate and post all at one go...hehe

Please bear with me =p

Is it normal for poo to be green when we feed cereal?

Do we need to feed baby water when we introduce cereal?

Does puree fruits need to be warm up if we keep in fridge? For frozen puree, how to warm them?

Mixing FM with cereal. Can mix creal and FM powder then add water or need to make the milk first and add milk to the cereal?

Thanks in advance for replies =)

Starry

I have excess milk bags, can give you for free if you want. I bought from BP, a korean brand. It's thinner than Tolly Joy but so far haven encounter any leaks YET. I agree with Stella that Tolly Joy's milk bags are good but expansive leh...maybe you can stock up when there;s sales.

Shin,

Thanks

Jac,

Afternoon I check the content of happy baby cereal n saw there is glucose. Think it is this that cause the cereal to b sweet. But just wait for them to reply u.

Ok, if I have excess milkbag aft I stop bfing, I will let u know.

Mummies,

I have no prob with Lansinoh milkbag, nv leak b4 cos everytime put into freezer, I gently put it properly.

Nycmum,

Poo can b green but not watery type

If I use FM into cereal, I will prepare the FM separately 1st then mix into cereal

For fruits, I will take out fr fridge but put in a small container n let it cool down itself in rm temp.

Aft cereal feed some water.

Marrissa

Yup. Happy Bellies baby cereal is under the brand name of HappyBaby. I bought the brown rice cereal, if u bought this should be the same as mine. Have u try healthy times? Healthy times is not sweet at all. u will know the different if compare to happy bellies [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jac

I also wanna know why so sweet if there is no sugar ingredient. Let us know see what's their reply [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Cyn

I was also just like u as a first time mum previously, at the end of workday was so tired out to "multi task". I agree with Melissa that experience really contribute to efficiency level, along the way you will be able to manage somehow. You sure can do it! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Tiffy

Hope your dad will be doing fine. Take Care.

Melissa

SO tell us tomorrow if u have HS tonight! LOL

Xin

Glad to know that Kayden has drank from the bottle. Its a good start for now but u may have to keep it consistent so that he can get used to bottle [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Stella

It seems like your hb is usually playing with him but not really hands on to take care. Do u think your hb ready to cope with baby cries, poo, all sort of unforeseen demands? Have u try to let him handle but with u around "watching" only? You may wanna try over weekend when u r not working, at least see how he feed milk and put him to sleep, if wrong method u can teach him the usual way how u and your MIL are doing. im sure u can find your answer then [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Nycmum

my answer is same as Tiffy. Happy weaning [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Cyn: multi-tasking is tough without a baby let alone with 1 or more! But as time goes by u learn to prioritize the things that u hv to get done. I get up at 4 am to express milk then get hopefully nap another hr before getting ready for work. During work wen I'm expressing at lunch time I surf net n read up on the forum. I get hm, wash n sterilize everything then take over bb frm mil til he slps then I hv dinner. Weekends morning I do chores while bb is asleep during his first nap if not I put him in his rocker n let him watch me do chores. By noon everything is pretty much done n it's baby time. Wennhe naps, I do my stuff or nap as well. If need to cook same as morning chores. Dinner aft he sleeps. It does get tiring but it's all worth it wen u see them grow [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] it helps that I only express 3 times a day n dun latch n he can slp through e night. I think it's all abt getting into a comfortable routine that suits u n bb n being flexible wen u need to. As a mummy as long as bb is happy n healthy n u r happy, everything else falls into place somehow.

I went to buy the healthy times brown rice cereals just now. Cos just so happen his organix cereals sort of expired (opened for 30days Liao) and I didn't dare give the happy baby one... So meanwhile give healthy times since u all say it's not as sweet [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] hope they reply jac soon and we will know why!![IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif])

Nycmum

Yah my answer also same as tiffy...

But my friend's sis told me eventually she got lazy and she just put cereals, FM, water all tgt and mix!!!! WahahHaha

I've on additional question for weaning...

If we put the fruit purée we made into the freezer... How long can it be freezed before it can't be eaten anymore???

Iris: my hb actually quite hands on as in he can change, bathe take care as long as bb is awake wen come to naps only me or mil can get him to slp lei. Hb tried both our methods but mayb bcos smell diff, bb jus can't get comfy enuf to slp until quite some time of carrying then he wun slp long. Feeding hb also has prob bb wun keep stil long enough to drink finish, he wants to b carried n play. Even dream feeds had prob. E moment hb carry bb wil wake up, I take over bb wil fall asleep again. It's very strange.

btw... I brought Aedan for his vaccinTion just now. He's only 6.8kg and 65cm... Think he follow our genes... Small small one... I think most of ur babies already past that 7kg mark... Lol.. But as long as Aedan is healthy... I'm fine with it lah.. Just worried if his growth is too slow... Hehehe

nycmum,

Thanks for 'donating' ur remaining milk bags to me! Hee hee!! Think we will meet up at gatherings again so can pass me then. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Oh, baby's poo will be greenish and smelly when on cereals and FM. And gotta give water too, otherwise may get dehydrated or constipation. But don't have to overfeed lah. I always try to give Jadelyn some water before her milk feed when she's hungry so at least she will drink like 15-20ml per 3hr interval. If baby's urine is very yellowish, that means not enough water. Pale yellow is fine. It's okay to mix FM powder with cereal then add water. But I always prepare milk first then slowly add in cereal to adjust thickness. Find that to be easier. Purée fruits from fridge no need to warm up (heat kills vitamins), just need to let sit till close to room temp. Other pureed cooked foods like sweet potato can be warmed up by placing in small container then soak the entire container in hot water till ard 40deg. The Avent bottle and food warmer is great for this! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Shin,

Keep a few days. The longer u freeze, the lesser the nutritional content. Actually best don't freeze. Just keep in fridge for up to 24hrs if u can since fruits are so cheap and easily available in singapore.

jac

Haha thanks for the detailed reply... I think will be tired if I have to prepare purée everyday leh. Think I'm lazy!! So maybe for a start just prepare every alternate day! I very suaku today I google "how to prepare pureed apples" etc.... Wahahhahaha found wikiHow and learnt how to purée apples, sweet potato, carrots. Lol

Yup I agree Aedan super active lah! But also he's considered quite a small eater I think.. Even now he still drinks 120ml only... And if I feed cereals, he drinks 90-100ml or lesser... Nowadays always dowan drink milk or dowan to finish his milk... He's more interested in his semi-solid food. Hahaha

Tiffy,Irish,starry n shin

thanks for the advices [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I think I'll mixed FM powder with cereal when I stop BFing. Easier for the teachers at IFC

starry

no prob! I overestimated my supply. Haha...ended up not enough to store n freeze. The brand is Green and Mother GnMa. I think I'll have 1box left (30pcs). Pass it to u at next gathering.

Shin

you mean aedan only drink 90-100ml for every feed or for the feed after cereal? How much cereal are you giving him now?

Claudia is a small eater too. But she's already 6.8kg at 4mths check. Erm...follow the parents, big size lah :p

she's drinking 120ml,5 feeds daily n 1 tablespoon cereal in the morning. The IFC feeds her plain water after cereal.

My mum told me to feed her more milk and told me Claudia is very small sized. Haha... I also want her to be chub chub.

Nycmum,

I think it best u ask the IFC teacher whether need to separate FM powder n cereal in 2 different container or all put in 1 container. If put together u need to let them know how much water to add to get the smooth texture.

Groovy,

No wor. No heating of fbm in milk bags. I merely thaw them in room temp or in fridge lor. My ss just nice to meet isaac's dd these few days, but I think gg for fbm soon.

tiffy, i also now not much Time To read post.

You take Care And jia you okie, try positive thinking.

Pinky, how many lessons and which day what Time NeXT week, can Pm me and let me know? I shld b able To do it NeXT week days.

Seabreeze, jia you jia you too. Things Will work out.

Mélissa, miss u wor, u must havre been quite hs recently. Just a few days ago, i Think moon is thé roundest and so maybe pple v easily hs.

Cyn, i also cant manage m'y Time well, got do many things on m'y plate.

nycmum

Erm it depends on his mood...

Usually early mornings and his breakfast he can finish 120ml... Lunch time I feed cereals I will mix 100ml, pour a bit into cereals to mix it then let him drink remaining. I feed 2-3tsp of cereals. Then the feed after cereals can drag to 4hrs interval but he only drinks like 100ml also. Evening feed also 100ml or lesser cos he drink halfway he feel like milk very yucky! Wahahhaha.. Then midnight I dreamfeed him - another 110-120ml... Super fussy and small eater. Lol

Cherry

Erm I read the packaging, it says best to consume within 30days so I only use for 30days despite the expiry date. I dowan over a few dollars then later Aedan eat Liao not good or what... I kiasu lah! Lol. So far organix and healthy times has that written on the box. I always scrutinize the contents before buying/opening so I know what I'm feeding him mah [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Vivian, i thought i was a lousy mummy cos really find it difficult to juggle the many duties but i guess like what Melissa and Iris says, experience really plays a part.

For me, my day starts at 5am when i wake up and pump, get ready for work and also get eldrick ready to be sent to my PIL's place. I will reach my workplace area at 7.45am , go for breakfast then pop into office to start my day at 8.30am though i officially start work at 9am. When i knock off at 6pm, it is rushing through the peak hour madness to pick Eldrick up, then go and tabao dinner. By the time we reach home its already 7 plus. I need to wipe him down, feed him and put him to bed. When all these are done , already 8pm. That's the time we get to eat dinner. After dinner, it is bath time and TV time! Both hub and i usually sleeps at 10pm and we take turn to attend to Eldrick when he wake up in the middle of the night (which he still does , 2-3 times and sometimes refuse to sleep). So for now, no time for me to have the luxury to surf net at home cos already too exhausted [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I hope when i get to bring my helper home this friday, things will improve. But now i also headache, dunno how i should manage the helper.

Hmmmmm , mummies who have helper, how do you brief the helper on her first day? Do you write down all the tasks and plan her schedule or just tell her verbally?

I want to set the expectations right cos i only have weekend to train.

Also another question i have in regards to weaning, anybody tried using the baby cubes yet? I am contemplating buying to try freezing purees but am not sure if it is really that useful?

Hi Cyn,

You must plan her schedule and write down all her tasks.

I also write a "HOW TO" notes, like how to bath Josie, how to sterilize bottle, how to warm milk, how to feed her, etc..

My maid doesn't really read the "HOW TO" notes.. But my parents are here for 2 weeks to supervise her, so she's gotten used to it already by the time they go home.

Hopefully you'll get a good maid.

Cyn,

I wrote down e most impt rules that she must follow. Then brief her thru e daily routines. E rest just tell her as n when e issue arises. But it is easier for me cos my mum stays with me now n supervise my maid.

Groovy,

Ur maid alone with bb in e day?

hello everybody...

seems like a few mummies have already started avocado for your babies. for me, my gal - Nat still feed on mainly milk and cereal.

Shin,

Your Aedan drinks 120 ml now ah? almost similar to Nat just that i would usually make 150ml of milk for her.. when days are good she can finish but sometimes nope. usually the last few ml ie 30ml is the most difficult to feed. she will cries and scream like i m feeding her poison lo. alamak.

Cyn, your day starts really early. must be super exhausted by end of the day. your night routine almost similar to mine too :D i will try to get to sleep by 10pm sometimes almost 11pm. then my hubb will look after Nat ie to make sure she doesnt flip in her sleep, checking her position etc..

ZuEn> currently not yet.. Hubby is still working from home.. But it'll be until end of this month only [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

We are going to install a CCTV camera in our house..

hey mommies, the Happy Baby people replied! here's the response..

Jacqueline,

This is Steven Mesia writing to you. I’m the Dir: QA for our company, and a 23 year food scientist in the industry. I get cc’d on all parents emails, and I’m best qualified to answer this question.

Our cereal(s) have some detectable sweetness not because of the glucose syrup solids (which are used to stabilize the DHA, and are in the cereal at about 0.00001% so..VERY little), but because we break down the initial starchy nature of the cereals with alpha amylase (the same enzyme found in your stomach). When we do this, the highly branches starches (which are just long chains of sugars…) break down into their component sugars, just as your or your child’s stomach would do, and thus, you can perceive the “sweetness” on your tongue. The same thing happens in your body, just in the stomach and gut.

Obviously, we pre-digest the cereal this way (most all baby cereal has this done to it) to increase it’s digestibility, as little ones don’t have the necessary enzyme load or capacity to digest raw cereal until they become accustomed to it in their diet.

I hope this has helped, but as always, feel free to reach me at this email, or my cell, below, anytime for follow up.

Best Regards,

Steven Mesia

HAPPYBABY | Dir: QA

139 Fulton St. Ste. 907

New York, NY 10038

O. 208-338-6534

C. 208.921.7278

F. 212. 602.0104

just as i had suspected, it's the amylase. which is perfectly fine! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Back