(2010/10) October 2010 MTB

Groovy, i thot of getting the super shield. I'm using Medela freestyle. Need to bend a bit when pumping.Duno if super shield will be better?

I had the super shield too and love them. Makes my nipples less painful n no need to bend forward when expressing. Hehe.

Re: bottles

My boi seems to prefer bfree wor. Tried 2x and he drank w/o struggle. But he was crying his head off when we tried to bolttle fed him just now n wasted 100ml of ebm. Heartache. Maybe he bad mood.

Re: Super Shield

I tried before. I find that the difference is minimal. Helps abit only. For me, I just prob a pillow/cushion behind me and I am almost straight up already.

my bb started licking his fist now like eating chicken wing, sometimes i even hear slurping sound. Those mummies who give them pacifier, does ur baby lick fist too? i was told that if don't give paci, they will suck thumb soon.. I'm hesitating coz if use paci means they will not coo as often i guess? i love it when they are trying to talk.

Empress:

My baby only takes the pacifier when he wants to sleep. Other than that he can still play with his hands. He likes to lick his mittens though. So far no prob. He still makes noise n tries to coo.

Being feeling bad toothache for the past 2 days!! Think there's some infection or something at my upper left wisdom tooth n it's affecting the molar as well. Cant bite anything. Went to dentist this morn n was told that better to extract. But I'm rather hesitant cos so ex n also need day surgery. Trying to bear with the pain n hope it'll get better soon. Argh. Bad mood.

Hi mommies

Thanks for concern. Sent my baby to KKH as he cried non-stop from 9 pm to 12 am while refusing milk (which is unusual for him as he is a hungry hippo). Finally his dad decides to send him in.

Haiz sian, hb jus quarreled w his parents over bb. They insist on doing things their way even though we say no. They say bb is difficult to take care of so need to do it their way. Prob is he is difficult to take care of because of them! So frustrating I got no say in how my son is brought up. I try to set a routine my mil does everything the exact opp way. I say let him cry if he's jus asking for attention she says he's very poor thing n carries him away. My hb insist no Yao Lan mil insists on fixing one. Dunno if bb is our son or mil's! Can't wait for my flat to arrive n move out. Or mayb I shd seriously consider infant care or a baby sitter...

Dear Mummies

Sorry for interrupting you

I have 3 * S$100 Babybaby vouchers for sale

(Please go to www.babybaby.com.sg for outlet details)

Letting go at 15% disc,I can meet up at Serangoon/Bishan/Lorong Chuan MRT or registered postage

Voucher Expiry: 16Dec2011

The vouchers can buy anything in the outlet except Ferrari car Seat (the only exception)

Interested please PM me

Thanks

Hi empress. He is recovering - now having 1 cough and a few sneeze a day. really appreciate that he got his voice back and can cry loud loud as i dare not sleep when he lost his voice (we took turns to sleep at night).

he is not colic as only for that night he cried non-stop. Doc said he cried badly as he is hungry but can't drink as he got block nose (babies do not know how to breath through their mouth). for western doc - use nose drops + open air ways & wait for self-recovery (about 2 weeks)

For Chinese sinseh - just reduce phlegm & baby will be well. Not sure what is in the powder prescribed but i know there are pearls as they show it to me before grind.

so mommies, if babies cry and cry non-stop for a couple of hours (once off not colic cases) and refuse milk - its really ok to send them to KKH A&E even when all u can tell the doc/staff nurse is they "just cry non-stop even when I tried to coax him all i can". i hestiate to send him to KKH as I dont know what to tell the doc but my hubby insisted and turn out he is right about it. the staff nurse was worried when she took 1 look at my baby and call the doc immediately. I nearly fainted when she said my baby lack of air due to block nose and his skin already showing the signs! but PD (from private clinic) did not tell me to monitor this when I told her about block nose. She only give me nose drops which apparently did not help very much as I not good at dropping the medicine

So do monitor your child skin if your child is having block nose. If Skin gets darken and started to show red veins please consult a PD. (note: the staff nurse said that some babies are born with red veins seen. Babies who feel cold may also show red veins. )

Hi Stella,

Can fully understand how fustrated you are tat you are out of control. When is your flat ready? Not a bad idea if you can outsource babysitting to someone if you really really can't tolerate.

GAthering at my place on Wed, 12pm.

Stella, Starry, Zuen, Babydes,

have PM you my home address. see ya

Long time no post, jus read silently

metta,

hope yr bb get well soon...

May I ask how u admit yr bb to kkh? Thru e A&E? My bb is down with cough, blocked nose... Seen e pd at SBCC but not getting well.. Not seen any PD at kkh, but wld like to seek 2nd opinion

stella, can empathize with u on e inlaws... My conflict with my inlaws started after e arrival of my 1st son- very difficult to communicate with them and they think tat they know alot but actually not

Metta

jus saw yr post, think my connection is slower

my bb also has blocked nose- I heard noise when he breath... He is still drinkg normally- he didn't 'delatch' himself when drinkg from bottle or nursg

my pd also give nose drop to clear nasal congestn. Open airway for yr bb, hw did yr doctor do it?

arghhhh.. again kena blocked duct in my left breast.. Still feels very hard but can't pump anything [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]..

Can pump only 80 ml from my left breast, then no more let down.. After vigorous massage for 15 minutes, out another 30 ml in no time! And still feel some hard part [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]..

Anyone encounter this before?

Actually still out some milk when pumping but no more let down even though breast still have some lump [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]..

It's not happening in my right breast. Sigh..

It might be because I left it un-drinked by Josie by 5 hours. And today dunno why Josie doesn't drink much so it might be the block accumulates from morning :S..

I never pump after every feeding.

If you pump after every feeding, did you re-sterilize the breast pump? Or just wash it?

Shireen: my flat only ready in 2013, super sian dunno where to find bb sitter in e area also.

Woofwoof: u stil hv conflict w mil? I try to explain e theory behind doing things a certain way but they stubborn dun wana listen. All my reasons they can counter w their own excuses. Even said that if not happy can move out! I'm very close to renting a Rm or something n moving out lor. So irritating!

Stella,

If u r able too maybe moving out would be better i think.

Coz if u engage baby sitter or put logan to infant care at night he will still be at home and ur in laws will even want to play n bond with him during night time.

If u hv ur own place at least u can hv more say for logan since ur in laws are far far away n control their "visiting" time.

But if u can resolve things nicely with ur in laws it will be the best. Coz when u are going back to work u will not hv to face them during the day n in my opinion it is still better for relatives (since ur mil has volunteered) to take care of baby than infantcare or nanny. At least u know they will put child's interest first even though their ways of doing that might be unacceptable for u. (but u wont know coz u r working n must learn to trust n close one eye too)

Hope things work out between u hubby n pil.

Metta,

That was wat happened to my boi that time when he got fever due to bacteria infection. He kept crying n refused to nurse for many hrs. E ear thermometer that we used cannot pick up his temperature. I kept delaying in sending him to kkh oso bcos I duno wat to tell e doc. End up he was having a high fever. I felt so guilty then for sending him in to kkh late. Let him cried so much.

Grovvy,

It happened to me b4. No matter how I pump m massage, e lump is still there and it was painful. Then e output was very low. Ended up, e duct was clear at e help of my human super pump. Lol. Get ur bb to latch on, they can help u to clear e block super fast. Hehe.

Ann,

Totally agreed with u. I am not e main caregiver for my dd (my mum looks after her while I work). Ended up, many things r done my mum's way. E best solution out is to close 1 eye n let go. But like u say, I rather my mum take care than nanny or infant care. At least I can b sure that my mum wun harm or neglect my kids.

Stella,

Like what zuen had said, you have to close 1 eye when u want your in law to take care of the bb when you are back at work. Unless you can foresake your job. If you send for infantcare or nanny, is extra expenses outside.

Infantcare and nanny may have more than 1 bb on hand, they may not have full attention to your bb. But for your in law, they can fully attend to your bb. No matter what, is their grandchild, they wont do "anything" to harm him/her. I find that, If they want yao lan, just give it to her, taking care of bb is not easy. You will learn to appreciate them when you dont stay with them in future.

Woof/Metta,

My bb have the same symptoms when she was 1 mth old - cough n runny nose.

I first brought her to kk A&E (not admitted) - they only prescribed nose drops and did suctioning for her cos we felt that they are alot of phlegm at the back of the throat.

We felt that she didnt recover and we were attended by a Filipino Dr in KK. I dont trust the Dr and send her to another PD at Tampines. The PD said is small problem - continuou with nose drop and added flu and cough medications.

Taken for 2 days and she didnt recover. We brought her to my elder daughter regular PD and she represcribed new cough and flu med to my bb and did suctioning and gave ventolin nebuliser to open up her airway. Dr said to take her med for 2 days and go back for check up - she worried bb maybe kenna infection of the lungs.

One stat dose of suctioning and ventolin did not help her. When we went for review at the PD, she said bb kenna infection of the lungs already!!! We have to admit her or if we take care ourselves, she will take longer to recover.

So we dont want bb to be so "xin ku" so we admitted her to Mt Alvernia Hospital. Bb was admitted for 3 days. She was given 24 hrs oxygen, cough & flu medications, ventolin nebuliser every 4 hrs and after 3 days of hospitalisation, she felt better and her this cough/flu took her 2 weeks to recover.

I forgot to mention my bb was also taking milk well. If bb is cannot breathe, they wont even drink her milk! They are smart bb!

Hope my experience help you to decide what to do for your bb...[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Ann, Zuen, Shirley:

I know if mil take care is supposed to b better than infantcare or nanny but I am the one who has to do all night shifts even wen back at work. My mil keep coming up w new patterns to put my boy to slp instead of putting him in e cot that now to slp must carry him a certain way n walk around the whole house! Wen me or hb try to tell her she will say it's wat bb wants! N my bedroom got no space for Yao lan so it will b in e hall. Knowing my mil my bb wil end up only wanting Yao lan then at night I die ugly, slp in the hall.

Now already my bb learnt that if he cry loud enough grandma will give him wat he wants so now he dun allow anyone to sit down, must carry him n walk ard if not he can scream damn long. I already suffer in the day cant afford to suffer at night as well. N wen tell her nicely she really just dun care. I feel that she dun respect my decisions as a mother. Wen I'm not hm I found out she has been giving him formula instead of my ebm jus for her convenience but stil ask me to bf til six months at least. She dun use e ebm I keep throwing it away. Waste my effort n it's not helping my bb either.

Shirley,

Bb at 1 mth can take medicine?

Stella,

I noe wat u mean. For me, I Noe it is not easy for my mum to take care of my kid, so I let her do it her way most of the time unless when it is not right, for e.g how she discipline my kid or bride her with sweets. Then again, she's prob still doing all those behind my back. I have put my dd alone with maid previously and I wun try again. Not that my ex-maid ill treat my dd but she will attempt to do things that stretch the limits. She brought my dd out to play at e corridor w/o permission. Freak me out when I couldn't see them on my Internet cameras.

But e ebm part really heartache ah. My mum does feed my dd ebm then. Can u throw away e fm since u hv enuff ebm. Get ur hb to do it, then wun create conflict. If she kip buying, then u kip throwing, fm so exp, she will prob stop buying. Hehe.

Shirley n metta.

Were yr bb drinking well when at e height of their nose block and flu/cough.... My bb is stil drinking normally and smiley... Hard to tell, bb are always happy

stella,

I have problem with my fil and not mil... Mil is influenced by my fil- he is a trouble maker and e one with 'great' idea.. Like most mummies here, I learnt to close one eye, unless it is harmful to my son's wellbeing, then I'll make noise- but easier said than done

parents in law

I always tell my gf to let their own parents take care- at least after each arguement, there's no hard feelings...

Every grandparent like to be their grandchild favorite granny/grandad- that's wat I think- I scratched my head for a long time trying to rationalize their behavior...e last big fight we had- my pil gave my boy fruit tree carton juice, claiming nutritional and argued tat it is real fruit juice, leading my boy to have a bad cough and high fever... Also give lots of sweets and choco to win his heart- e dentist said tat he already has tooth decay...

I am always e bad one- causing their son to turn against them

jus a quick question- if yr inlaws are financially not dependent on yr hubby- are they less likely to cooperate?

parents in law

I've a preloved set of wink to learn Chinese (6 DVDs) to let go cheaply.. Its an extra set as i received one set as gift.. Anybody interested? Pls PM me thanks [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Groovy:

Roll nipples and try to get sprays, then roll aerola area. After that, aim for the hard blocks and kneed. Like dough like that hor. Kneed and not simply massage hor. Use energy even if pain but keep changing area (i.e dun stay at 1 area too long coz will get blue black mark). If need be, take panadol before you do. Also check if the hard part is all over the breast or concentrated only on 1 part.

Stella:

I have a bold suggestion but there is a lot at risk. Basically is you just tell your MIL off and say that if she does not listen to you, i.e. no carrying round the house to sleep, drink BM only with no FM, etc, then you are gonna send her grandchild to infantcare and at nights, you will take care of him yourself. She will have no access to the grandchild at all, not at any times. She will not ever get to touch him or even talk to him. Her choice. This may get her to listen to you but if fail, it will cause a big uproar and you may find yourself needing to move out immediately.

Milder suggestion is whether your mum can take care or not.

With my #1, during my confinement, I had some of these problems too although I do not live with either parents and my maid is my bb's caregiver. They came and messed things up until I buay tarhan, ban all visitors. I called my parents to tell them not to come till further notice and made my husband do the same for his parents. Had the desired effect coz after that I gained some control over how I want things done.

Woofwoof: I think financial dependancy definitely plays a part. My in laws both work. Mil part time only but once they aren't dependent on u forget abt negotiation. Even though I give her money every month stil e same.

Hers is a case of her friends know best. Always quoting wat her friends say or do for their kids or grandkids. Wen my boy had jaundice she listened to her friends n nearly gave him barley water n some other concoction at 1 week old! I nearly flipped that time. At 4 months she wants to introduce food to him because her friend is doing it. Usually u think mil knows better but she didn't bring up her kids frm bb either, both brought up by grandparents so she basically knows nuts abt taking care of babies n act like she knows everything. Haiz

Fifi: I wish I cld threaten her but frm experience she's petty n I will hv to move out immediately. My mum is not in gd health so she can't take care.

Woofwoof: I think financial dependancy definitely plays a part. My in laws both work. Mil part time only but once they aren't dependent on u forget abt negotiation. Even though I give her money every month stil e same.

Hers is a case of her friends know best. Always quoting wat her friends say or do for their kids or grandkids. Wen my boy had jaundice she listened to her friends n nearly gave him barley water n some other concoction at 1 week old! I nearly flipped that time. At 4 months she wants to introduce food to him because her friend is doing it. Usually u think mil knows better but she didn't bring up her kids frm bb either, both brought up by grandparents so she basically knows nuts abt taking care of babies n act like she knows everything. Haiz

Fifi: I wish I cld threaten her but frm experience she's petty n I will hv to move out immediately. My mum is not in gd health so she can't take care.

Stella,

Sad to hear that ur mil is that kind.

How abt other relatives other than ur mom? Maybe ur aunt or siblings/cousins who are housewives n u can put logan in their care during the day?

I remember someone.in this forum say smthing about asking a kkh nurse to come over to explain how to take care babies. I was thinking since ur mil is that kind who listen to othera beter to let her listen to professionals.

Or maybe u can bring her to pd n u purposely ask the pd to explain the good things abt giving ebm over fm n also hat it is better to stat solid later.

Dont let her waste ur ebm since u hv such a good supply n have worked really hard!!

Agree with zuen, just throw out the fm! If u can give it to someone it will b better. There is wtg (want to give) section in this forum. Meanwhile just hide it in your room, in a locked drawer or cabinet!!

Woof woof my baby is drinking but not as well. Maybe 20 ml to 40 ml instead of usual 100 ml intake. Actually recently he returns to 100 ml was at 60 ml for a week or 2.

I brought my baby to A&E at KKH. They use a box over his head to blow medicine to open up his airways. Of course suction was also done. Was warded when they heard water in his lungs while pending x-ray.

Saw the Fili Doc - a Male doc right? But the main doc is a lady doc. she is the 1 who said to ward after they did a box and suction once. At 1st is to monitor him as he is very young so at most 3 day stay but alas on the 3rd day my son develop a fever so kana extend stay to further monitor.

first 2 days every 6 hours do the box then followed by 8 hours and eventually by 4th day he is off the box but still on nose drop.

MOrning mummies!

Stella, I have the similiar encounter wth you too. My MIL also carries my girl n rock her trying to coax her when she was CIO. I told my hubby to talk to his mum, not to rock her, was instead told off by him to put myself in his mum shoes. Haiz.. of cos, i was pissed la. I tell him that I know my child BEST! when she's crying so hard, at least should give the child back to me to pacify her first before re-intro bb back to MIL rather than let the bb keep crying n crying. Everything takes time to adjust. I agree with the rest of the mummies that grandma will be the main caregiver, but i jus dun like her carrying & rocking bb thinking that this will calm her dwn cos i myself nvr rock my bb while carrying her. I dunno if my hubby will read this, but I don't believe in rocking the child while they are crying.. they can't even bothered what's happening out there when they are CIO, still believes that you need to hold the child close to you, sooner they will calm dwn as soon as they realize the body contact & that you are there to pacify them.

I also have the same thoughts as you on the EBM lor, really scare that she will throw away my precious frozen EBM too.

saw 1 post that PD prescribed baby cough medicine but KKH doc at ward told me not to give baby under 6 months any cough medicine as there are cases whereby baby may not wake up after drinking cough medicine so dont take the risk.

Metta,

I was told the same thing whe my boi was admitted in KKH. He had high fever, but not given medicine bcos he was too young. We just have to wait for the fever to subside on its own.

Re: caregiver

I always tot that issues only when MIL is the caregiver but I am having probs with my own mum now lor. Haiz. She has moved over since I gave birth and I have so many issues with her now. Many times, I have to bite my tongue to stop myself from screaming at her. Then I found myself starting to behave negatively towards her probably bcos of all the bad feelings accumulating. Haiz. Looks that conflicts bound to arise when people start living together. I am hoping that things will be better when I go back to work and dun spend so much time at home. See no evil. Lol. At times, I wonder if it was a right choice to ask her to shift over. Then again, I also die if my mum didnt help me lah. Hohoho.

Hi Zuen

right same case but we feed baby with Ling Yam (a bit only) so fever went down very fast [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] hee ..

Got to give and take when staying together.

Ann: I wish I had someone else to take care but all

My relatives in Malaysia. Last time I brought her to pd w me wen bb was sick. She dun believe anything e pd said! Her friends make better pd. Haiz dunno wat to do. Wana close both eyes n ears also hv to think abt e future n wen I'm on my own at my own place. Bad habits in children once their past a certain age is very diff to change. Somemore I worry wat she wil feed my son wen I'm at work. Wats e point of having family look after my bb wen I can't trust them? I'm trying so hard to give him e best I can but she jus has to fight against me. Jus my luck to hv such a mil.

hi mummies,

i have 2 pkts of sacred tea to let go.

ordered too many but decided to stop taking cos dun really like the taste n my ss is more or less fixed.

each pkt at $35 incl normal postage.

PM me if keen.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hi mummies,

Is been a while since I last post here after I delivered. Have been busy looking after my little Naughty boy but I have been reading the thread.

I saw that a few mummies babies r having flu and my boy too started r wk ago n PD gave him antibiotics, flu medicine n even flu drops but seems like is not making him better.

Just now I decided to bring him a chinese doc specializing in baby n she help to massage my baby nose hand all these and to my surprise as she massage his nose a lot of mucus came out which was all block in his nose

Now I can hear him breadth better and hope it have clear his nose.

Hope all babies recover soon.

Passion88,

cld share yr contact for e Chinese dr? I wld like to give it a try. I prefer 'non-invasive' healing like massage- dun think medicatn is suitable for young infants

Stella, u are not alone on e problems w inlaws... Even own parents, some might have problems too...

Like for my case, my bb is dwn with cough and blocked nose-when my mum accompany to go with me to polyclinic to check jaudice level (my boy is stil havg jaudice), she insisted tat I tell e duty dr abt my bb conditn, e dr prescribed some medicine- she said tat I shld give bb e prescribed medicine, I said tat e dr at polyclinic is not specialized in bb and even pd didn't dare to prescribe medicatn... She argued tat if e dr is rostered to attend to bb, they must be trained...

I cld understd my mum, her era has no specialist- only polyclinic dr

Hi Woof Woof,

I have PM u the details. Do call before u go cause she is managing the clinic herself so she hardly take in walk in so better to call before u go.

My boy have been sleeping from 3pm until now after the massage. Looks like he is in deep sleep already so happy to see that. Hope it helps u too.

Hi Passion88

Can share the contact for Chinese doc? Thanks.

I also have problem dealing with my mom. Guess those who have mil or mother who keen to take care of baby while you're at work should be glad that they are willing to take on the responsibility and stress. My mom "quit" already she said baby too heavy to carry (understandable as mom suffers from joint ache) and also hard to serve (he is frequent feeder and have bad temper). But I can see that she loves him dearly just not willing to take the responsbility to care for him while I'm at work.

on top of this my mynamar maid resigns after 1 week. Anyway my son hates the maid and cries whenever he sees her. He didnt behave so badly when with nurses even foreign ones.

as a Last resort, hubby wanted me to resign from my job to take care of baby.Sigh not sure how to approach this matter with boss [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] resign on first day back to work. Thinking of informing boss unofficially before I return to work.

Hi Metta,

Have PM u the details [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Regarding yr intention to resign, if I am not wrong we have to fulfill work for a certain period of time before we can resign after maternity.

I am quite lucky my mum looks after mth boy and she listen to whatever I said cause I told her before I want my boy to be brought up the way I want hehe....

Anyway I nobody dares to go against me since young. I decides what I want.

I think is good that u check things out before u tender [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Back