(2010/05) May 2010 mtb

Chloie, when did u have the last scanning? wats the result of it such as how low is the head of BB? If not very low, BB would not drop out like that.

LucasMummy> Ya, sitting down and relaxing now. Maybe too siong for me aldy.

KTSC> Errmmmmmm...... Last scan was on either 22 or 23 March. Bb was aldy in head down position. Gyne never say if bb is in low position. But as a first time mum, I'm scared mah. LOL! Sometimes when I go poo, if the poo is abit hard, I dont really dare to push too hard. Scared will push bb out. I know it's silly to think that way lah but just scared lor.

Oh ya, I'm actually abit confused on a couple of things.

Can we drink plain water during our confinement?

Can we touch water during confinement?

Hmm.. today's thread abit quiet....maybe most MTBs have gone for leave to enjoy long weekend liao [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]...

Still thinking wanna go robinson sale for the wkend or just stay at home to "nua"... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Hi Chloie,

Heard from my mom that we cannot drink plain water unless we are eating medicine..

She said can drink milo n ovaltine. From the previous posts, moms are also taking longan tea or something like tt..

As for water.. Not sure woh.. Bathing I know is used the herbs n for washing of face, some moms say use water mix with white rice wine.

I was told not to even drink plain water, only red dates with longan drink for the whole month.

As for showering, I know is a nono. But what exactly to use to wipe, Im not sure.

Chloie, itz okie, just in case u put too much stress on yourself. I as 2nd time mummy also scared when I had this burrowing feeling so early. Scared anytime going to deliver. Cos when I have my #1, I only have this feeling around 36th week onwards. So it's earlier this time round to have this feeling. Gynae mention because as 2nd time mummy, the muscle at the V area is not strong liao, already got pressure before liao. After having the scan yesterday, knowing BB head is in downwards position, but not very low to the extent would deliver anytime, and plus what the gynae has explained, I feel more relieved and slept better yesterday

Chloie, if my preggy brain did not remember wrongly, the reason why we cannot drink plain water as it would cause sui2 zhong3 water retention also invite wind to body. As for bathing, cannot bath too early cos would cause pain at joint areas in our old age. I started bathing on day 12th with herbal warm water then subsequently twice to at most 3 times a week using herbal warm water. But still can wash face and wipe body with face or hand towel with herbal water or diluted white rice wine for hygiene purpose especially the BF area.

KTSC... wah i dun tik i can "tong" till so long dun bath leh... tik i will bath w warm water after i discharge... at least in hospital got AC whole day... not so hot mah...

Just came back from gynae... End of 32 weeks, bb at about 1.9kg. Considered ok. But bb head a little bit, size will be avg if bb is 34 weeks. Haha... Cleared the strep b test too.

Now wait for pelvis scan at ard 36 weeks to see how's the chance for normal delivery...

Chloie, must tk care ah. Rest more so tat tummy wont be so pain.

KTSC, reasons why i choose c sect la

1) hmm actualli i tot since i have already cut at abdomen then no pt kena cut or stretch my V area la.

2) now since i have GD, bb confirm veri big size if wait until full term. esp my no.1 was also huge baby. Dr say hard to deliver n end up may emergency c sect (back to square one n i nid to carry baby for 3 more weeks...i Buay tahan) and she also cannot induce mi earlier when bb is smaller due to prev wound.

Thus she also agree tat it's better that I opt for c sect tis round too.

Blueturtle- yeah!! Ur hubby wear blue shirt! I wearin white sleeveless top n black capris pants.. Long hair. Ring a bell? Hee!!

I think for those who are at 32 weeks, our babies weigh 1.9kg, i think the weight is fine and out on a few more before delivery...

Today my baby movement is alittle diff, he is like rolling over and barrowing into my V...dont neo if normal...quite worrying...tomorrow gng KL

wats worse i had a dream i deliver on the 02 of April...hope its not coming true...

KTSC> Ooh! I better note down otherwise I'll get confused again during confinement.

destiny> Okok! Will walk lesser. Thanks!

Anne Raj> When you have bad dreams, must say out the moment you wake up to break the curse. Dont worry lah! No such things would happen. Just remember to bring along the emergency numbers along with you.

Blueturtle - hahaa..how do u find the tour juz now? I feel tat the person like rushing for time. Talk so soft n fast n walk so fast. Seems like only concentrate more to 1 bedded rm only.

I'm so happi today. Hubby back fr overseas n i get to see my bb too. Her head is at the right position now...should b able to opt for normal delivery during 39-40weeks =D

Dear MTBs...have a fun relaxing loooong weekend! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif][IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

On water retention, we shld drink more water to flush out the toxic.

No water & bathing are old wives' tales. If those who had attended antenatal classes, the nurses will wipe these out with a laugh. Hygiene is highly impt for faster recovery of wound. No baby will like smelly mum.

Maybe in the context of china, cold & dry weather, not bathing for a mth is still possible.

For breastfeeding mummies, fluid esp water, milk, juice are gd to keep up the milk supply. Had plenty of red date tea, water, milk & Milo cos hungry easily when BFing.

Maggiemee, its realli up to individual belief or what they want for their own health being for the bathing and drinking water part. without bath for first 1 week plus might seems unhygiene and smelly for some. But but I did mention wash of face and wipe body with herbal water and diluted rice wine daily, so there is still a level of cleaniness and hygiene. We can always powder bath ourselves and powder rinse our hair too like what some mummies had bought the dry shampoo for. No hard and fast rule, do what u feel comfortable and preferred. Ultimately it's just that we might have to bear whatever consequences that might arise in old age.

Mrs heng, wat i heard was that tmc don't really have a lot of 2& 4 bedded rooms. So no point talk so much? Haha... Anyway, i did my hospital preregistration already. Aiming for the 588 single bedded. I was more interested to find out wat the labour and delivery place looks like. Haha... But not bad lar, got to c a few newbornes! My hb so excited!

My bb also still in head down position. Edd by headsize is 17 may, edd by stomach size is 27 may. Abt 2 weeks difference. Haha...

KTSC, ya my gynae is dr joycelyn wong. Have u booked ur room liao?

No.1 is a girl weighing 3.83Kg. I had high blood pressure when expecting her, now have GD for no.2.

My bb is also head down and then also getting lower liao. Dr asked mi dun walk so much cos may go into labour before my planned C sec...anyone also advised by dr not to walk too much?

Rhino> We can drink milk during confinement ah? tats great! Whole pregnancy i cant drink milk at all nor creamy stuff..Puke the moment i eat it! So tot after delivery i need to take in more calcium..Cos bones very pain and gums keep bleeding..Think due to lack of calcium!

Cant wait for my next gynae appt..Love to c bb!! But need to wait another 1 wk more! hmm..

brenda u got tk calcium tabs anot? Shld tk if u nvr drink milk cos after birth realli lose alot of calcium. by the time u BU back abit too late liao . Alot of click-clack sounds at the knees after i gv birth...Must tk good care.

Now 2nd pregnancy, i very kiasu, request for calcium tabs from the start. I didnt drink milk n tk tabs during no.1 time and it realli affect my bones alot. my 2 molars cracked leh.

Destiny, I have just given Joycelyn Wong the pre-admission form yesterday. I have also book for 4 bedded hoping to get the free auto upgrade to 2 bedded. we might really pop into each other during our stay at TMC. My EDD 25 May, but will have high chance that I might deliver at 38th week which is around your C-sect date. I had C-sect for #1 too but it is a emergency case. Her weight is 3.16kg

Confinement is a cultural practice, mainly in Asian context. Malays, chinese... Hardly heard of in western or middle east culture.

I believe it is a gd period to recuperate after a traumatic experience- the musle tear & stretch, blood loss, organ & body parts distortion...

Good nutrition & gd care will help to speed up recovery.

It's your body so your choice on how comfy u like to do during the recovering period.

Many women of our mums' age suffered fr osteoporosis due to lack of calcium after having a few children as they don drink milk or eat dairy products like cheese or yogurt as much as we do. Mainly oso due to their lack of knowledge on imptance of calcium.

Can't understand how 'wind' can get into our body, tot we discharge/ expel the baby & placenta & unwanted things out. So all the expelling of 'wind' tactics seem alien to me. If my mum/ aunts/ MIL tells me something, I would usu read up or consult an expertise & see if nec to follow.

Sometimes their advices are valuable but at times are blindly pass dn cos their mums say so. Mayb I just can't accept unscientific reasoning.

Mrs Heng: Think my gynae gave up on trying to estimate my EDD liao. cos my menses were not regular in the 1st place. plus now the head and body all edd different. so can at most know that it's most likely last 2 weeks of may. hohoho...

KTSC, Rhino: yeaps. agree that confinement is a very cultural practice. just do whatever you think is right and whatever you believe in lar. and of course, reduce conflict between the older generation.

I'll definitely gonna try to bath, herbal water or not, as long as i get to bath i really can't be bothered now. The other more important thing is probably to eat healthy meals so that can produce enuff "food" for baby. Cos i dun live with in-laws or parents, i have been surviving on takeaways and eating out. maybe that's 1 reason i don't really put on as much weight. not much increase in boobie size either. =P just i just have to make up for watever i've missed out during confinement.

Wow! A lot of discussions going on.

I just came back from steamboat dinner at Tan Quee Lan and a 45min walk at Esplanade. Cos I have a fear about this pregnancy. My last pregnancy I had GD. But this time round, I think I may have pre-eclamsia / eclamsia.

My last 2 visits to the gynae did not only show that I gained a lot of weight, but my blood pressure also reached new heights. Added to that, I have been having migraines on and off. Recently, I will also experience giddiness when walking after meals or just resting in bed.

Re: confinement

I remember my CL only allowed me to bath in the 2nd week with the herbal water and bath was only allowed for every alternate days or once every 3 days.

No water except for the period where I was running a fever cos too heaty and during that period, I had barley water instead of red date tea, much to the displeasure of the CL. Only could consume Milo and red date tea. I enjoy my red date tea and Milo a lot cos they reminded me of my late grandma. She would make Milo and red date tea for the young ones when we were visiting her.

According to my CL, Ginger is added to confinement diet, but for TBF mummies, she does not add a lot cos it will not help the newborn if he/she is having jaundice. In fact, too much ginger will make jaundice worse.

Use of water is also prohibited. Only warm boiled water is allowed.

I was just having a debate with my mum, who will be helping me with confinement this time. I tried to convince her that afterall we would have spent 3 days 2 nights in the hospital with aircon, used tap water to wash up and even drank cooled boiled water. Then what's the use of reverting back to the strict confinement ritual??? Apparently, she tried to pull the same trick with my late grandma, but she failed at convincing my grandma. I also failed lar!!! So yes, while my mum will try to close one eye about certain things like bathing more often with herbs, she is still most adamant about the no tap / cooled boiled water issue.

maggiemee

Group B strep is only tested during week 35 - week 37 of pregnancy.

Morning Mummies..

Tried to slp in today.But then my gastric giving me some discomforts so ordered Mac delivery hehe!! Waiting for it now!

RAntingbaby> My mum n grandma also told me if i am BF then cannot take in too much ginger cos it causes jaundice..

Morning mummies, good to hear that Ginger cause jaundice. Need to let the folks know...

Any mummy experiencing sore breast and nipples in their 35th week?

Morning!

Ginger DOES NOT cause jaundice.

Most, if not all, babies will have jaundice when born, cos it's dark in our womb. Too much ginger only make jaundice worse.

My massage lady advise not to take ginger so much if bb got jaundice as now even some doc also advise too. You may add slice ginger in your food but just don't eat it.

Oh so ginger will worsen jaundice so think beta take lesser.. I love ginger leyz haha..but beta listen dun take too much..But can we take ginger after confinement?

I'm so bored too..... Wanted to go out for lunch but started raining...... *Hungry*

Edie> I do feel more attached to my hb now.... Especially these few weeks. It has been tough. He is like my only support.

hihis

edie!

i think i feel more reliant on hubby...

wanna carry laundry to sun- need his help, wanna carry grocery bag - need hubby, wanna bring out heavy cooking utensils - scream for hubby's attention...

think i'm more needy now...ahaha!

chloie: Yes, somehow hubby really plays a big part during pregnancy. Be it good times or bad. Salute to those single mummies who had to go through pregnancy alone.

Sue: Ya, physical stuff also have to rely on him. Even throwing rubbish into the chute, I'll wait for him to do. Firstly, lazy, secondly, just use our priviledge for the last few weeks.

hehe!yeah.. agree fully sia edie...

my hubby hates to be bossed around to do stuff for me...

so i'm really enjoying the privilege of getting him to do my bidding... :p

Haha... too bad for them. For now only... after that we're back to being the personal maid/secretary to them. I realised that after marriage, hubby seems to think I know where everything is. Conveniently, he'll just ask, 'where's my specs?' when it is right in front of him.

My glucose level was slightly high on my Week 32 scan =\

I had a huge cup of Bubble Tea before the appointment, dont know if it was the bubble tea that caused it? LOL..

But my baby is on the small size leh.. only about 1.6kg at Week 32.. I gained 10kgs liao leh.

Doc said seems like the weight is going to me, not to the baby..

I drink maternal milk twice a day.. Doc says cut down on that 'cos it's very fattening and the nutrients mostly go to the mother.

So she suggests that I drink 1 cup maternal milk, 1 cup normal fresh milk.

I felt SO GUILTY.. and depressed after. It's like I'm not taking care of the baby.. not giving him the right start.

Even started blaming my hubby, why he never make any tonic soup for me all these while =(

I hope bb will catch up these last few weeks.. else he's really going to be tiny.

Rhino,

Yeah I have the exact sentiments as you, I really cannot follow these confinement rules so rigidly.. I just cannot accept it!

It all came from ancient china when there's no water heater, no hair dryer.. of cos the poor mother will catch a cold lah.

Even Mrs. Wong BB also encourage us to keep ourselves hygienic.. so must shower and wash our hair!

I just spoke to my friend's wife.. she just had her 3rd kid in Jan, she also never do confinement one.. just eat normally and shower everyday. She even went shopping on the third day.. POWER.

Brenda, yes, can consume Ginger after confinement. I even continue eating chilli after confinement, while breastfeeding.

Bb-bao, don't worry. Bb will catch up with the rest when it's time.

Chloie, hope you are feeling better after reaching a decision. We stand with you in trusting that bb will not just survive but will also overcome the entire ordeal! Jiayou!

I have been pretty independent the past few months.. never really 'order' my hubby around. Still do the laundry, change bedsheets, carry shopping bags..

But these two weeks, I feel the strain already. Although I am still very enthusiastic about shopping (I can walk non-stop for 2-3 hrs!!), I will just drop dead when I reach home.

Will lie in bed and command the hubby.

Just now he was like "Wah, now everything you point, point, point, I have to do hur?"

I said "Ya, too bad" Hahaha.....

Back