(2009/04) April 2009 MTBs

eviangal,
me too..kenna engorgement on sat. massage no use..yday fever..last nite swollen and red and hot.
went to kkh this morning but the antibodies not working well also....
i ask for stop bfg medication at the same time.

3wkold: if yours got fever, swollen, red and hot i think must be mengitis like me. Its some kind of infection.

But mine not very serious. After a day's rest, some medication and massage, i feel the lump gettin less painful now. So I going to continue to bf.

You using medication to stop bf? Why dont you let it go naturally? Your situation sound very painful though.. I wonder how we got the infection also.

Are you better now?

Hi ladies
I am wondering...after you have fed your baby solid,do you still top it up with milk? As I am worried that baby is not full, I will usually top her up with milk, maybe about 60-80ml. Am I doing it right?

My baby is slowly trying out new food now. Though not alot, I am very happy that she is at least trying.

<font color="0077aa">Ashleigh (ashleigh22)

I'm feeding my baby, brown rice ( it comes up to bout 2oz after cooking) and i usually give her, her normal milk feed after maybe 1/2hr or if she fuss (cos she still hungry)

Think it should be right to follow up wif her normal milk feed after her semi-solid.

Hope i'm right. :D</font>

Ahleigh and Indulgence_Queen,
my boy drinks abt 60-100ml of water after semi-solid feed..sometimes he gets diluted fruit juice or BM/FM

i think its normal to give fluids after solids feed.

Ashleigh, MichelleT,
me too, i usu give bb a bit of water (not milk) after semi solids. but after a few spoonfuls then he'll refuse (coz water no taste he doesn't like, haha)

i still BF bb but usu not immediately after the semi solids. this way i actually lengthen the interval at which bb asks for BM, ie if i used to BF him every 2.5hrs, it now becomes 4hrs.

though there's concern tat by giving water we're juz giving bb a false sense of fullness n thus may deprive him of proper nutrients, i think a bit of water is still needed once bb starts on semi solids to prevent constipation.

mummies,

read earlier that some of u bought sunblock for bb. may i chk which brand is suitable for bb?

Banana Boat is it OK? the label says above 6 mths can use..

eviangal
did u mean 'mastitis' (which is infection of breast tissue) or 'meningitis' (which is brain infection)? sounds scary..

<font color="0077aa">Ahleigh,Jean,Pravina,

Me too, will give her a few spoonfull of water in between feeding, to sort of like wash her mouth abit.

Jean, same here, baby don like to drink water cos, it's tasteless.. but if i add in gripe water, she will drink.. always like war when asking her to drink water lor... sigh.. i really worry it will be too heaty for her if she don hv enuff water.

Pravina, (sugar bubble)
I was looking at the BP too.. looks quite good! cos currently im using Pureen bottle wash to wash baby's bottle, and i realized tat i always gets small bubbles on my hands, even my mum commented tat she gets it too, donno if its too strong...</font>

pravina
ur baby likes to drink water too huh...other than the water u give with the solids, do u still give any more water? my ger loves water n can drink like 7 oz a day &amp; PD says tts a bit too much =(

Michelle
what do u mean small bubbles on ur hands?? im using tt n its ok leh. tho i think im using too much haha...i use like 2 pumps to wash 6 bottles instead of 1 teaspoon. i think kodomo is a gd brand. im using the sugar bubble for normal dishes n its not bad. havent tried the ones for bottles.

<font color="0077aa">Eunice,

Not sure either.. i've got it on side of my thumbs.. (both thumbs)

I normally use 1 pump for each bottle... i feel 1 teaspoon like not clean enuff...
But i really like the mint smell.. (smell clean! haha!)

The last time i tried tolly joy's bottle wash.. got the bubble gum smell.. really sweet, but after awhile its more like sick.</font>

Jean: its masitis (the breast infection) not mengitis. Pai sei. thought didnt know they carry different meanings. =p

Thanks for clarifying.

Eunice,
your baby can really drink lot of water. My girl usually takes about 10-30ml whenever I give her water.

I also noticed that baby's poo is starting to become harder. Last time, it used to be like paste. Guess I will have to make her drink more water liao.

Btw, any of you have already introduced vegetables/meat to your baby? So far I have introduced rice cereal, pear, carrot and apple only. Think I am very slow. There was a period of time when my baby reject to eat any solid at all, thus have to go slow on her.

michelle
i prefer the orange one. oh i super hate the tollyjoy. hate the bubblegum smell. pigeon's also damn bad. v strong chemical smell n no bubbles!! not clean!! hahahaha... yah i also. i think im using too much but im used to it already leh. no wonder i finish the bottle so fast haha

ashleigh
yah lor. i think cos from birth my hb n dad v pro-water lor. always giving her water even tho she was fully on BM. sigh...she doesnt like milk v much la. if she din like water so much mabbe she'll be bigger now. my girl's poo is already like adult's even since she started on solids. its ok. as long as its not HARD n they dun hv problems passing it out. i've given her veg - spinach, pumpkin, carrot, peas. intending to start chicken in 1.5 mths time.

Eunice,
does your baby likes spinach? Heard that babies will usually reject it cos of the bitter taste. Do you let your baby try pure spinach puree or do you mix it with other food?

Eunice,
my boy drinks water but very slowly ... must take breaks in between to drink up all his water..
i sometimes spike it with gripewater ( 5ml into 100ml of water)
His FM intake has decreased quite a bit so basically on BM, purees ( vege and fruit)and baby cereal. i mix a teaspoon of prune puree ( Gerber) with all his meals so as to have smooth pooing action ... heheh e.. he pukers his face till red!!

eviangal:
i took panadol...only fever went down.
got infection cos din empty properly according to the doc..engorg too long.
normally i din get engorgement guess becos of i tried to drag the pump timing to 12 hrs and pumpng time to 15mins.
i ask for stop bfg medication cos i wanted to stop already...but my method failed tat's y infection.
wat medication did u take?
too tired to wake up in the morning to pump when still need to go to work.
now i on antibodies one week.
but my breast still red and hot. now using cold cabbage to c whether it help

Ashleigh:
yes..i top with milk.
e.g 30ml with creal than the rest 120ml will still give her.

Pureen bottle wash:
is fine with me and my mum and my hubby.
we used quite alot..almost every pump every bottle.cos EBM bottle very oily.

Pravina
where can I get the prune puree? Is it from supermarkets like ntuc or cold storage? Sorrie, as I have given birth to my baby oversea and will be travelling back end of the year plus being first time mummy, thus am not familar with where to get all the essentials for baby in Spore.

3wkold
if you want to stop bf, you will have to stop gradually. Try to stretch the duration of the pump so that you slowly cut down the number of pumps each day. At each pump, try to reduce the the timing by 5minutes. Hope it will help.

michelle/ pravina
never tasted gripe water.. is it tat nice?
or shld i ask, is it necessary?
i know ppl alwiz say bb has alot of wind but i dun really rub or let bb take anything.. =p

Ashleigh
Yes i think u can get Gerber products off the shelf from most supermarkets like ntuc or cold storage

3wkold
i oso drag till 12hrs then pump but each time i can sit there for 1hr pumping.. sianz

so i shld pump less if i wanna stop huh.. why don't u wanna continue bf?

mummies
juz a survey, how long u intend to BF? (if u're not really planning for another bb)

Ashleigh,
i can only find the gerber brand of prune puree.
also got apple and prune juice..
easily available at local supermarkets.
the bigger supermarkets have variety and dedicated shops tend to stock up on various brands of baby food..
can i ask where did you have your baby??

Jean,
Gripwater is nice-smelling and kinda sweet on its own, so best to dilute with water.. my boy has lots of wind so gripewater or ridwind helps him quite a bit .. ifyou tap your baby's tummy and it sounds hollow, it indicates wind in tummy.. thats what the PD showed me... =)

i intend to BF for a year... its a struggle for me cos i can only pump when free at work which is getting rare..and being sooo tired this past month, lazy to get up and pump...=]

andrea,
do u still pump at work? how long u take for each session?
i think i take too long sometimes, so i paiseh. now i only pump twice - once b4 i go to work, once after dinner.. hope i dun get mastitis coz engorged for too long..

pravina,
i know how u feel.. there isn't a dedicated place for me to pump at work too.. stress = no let down = longer time to pump

i think my boy has lotsa wind coz he farts alot, keke. ok ok will check out the gripe water for him..

3wkold: i think i kena this problem due to the same reason too... I pump once in the morning and once at night. Sometimes more than 12 hours.

My milk is depleting. =( Used to be quite a good amount. Now getting lesser and lesser. I am getting less motivated to bf now. Wanted to bf for a year previously. Not sure if I will be motivated enough to continue or not. Will prob take some fernugreek and see if can improve the situation.

Was given some pandadol and antibiotics for my problem. Have not been taking very regularly also. Doc say my problem is consider quite mild.

Jean: Be careful. Like you, I pump once in the morning before going to work and once after work. End up kena abit of mastitis lorz...

By the way, gripe water is good for teething babies too. My dd is rather easily frustrated these days as she is teething. I feed her some grip water with a spoon directly. She seems to take it quite well though.

I intend to bf as long as bb wanta drink...this is #2 so more experienced/take it easy alr...have then drink, dun have then nothing to drink lor...

I latch bb @5am then pump both side for 20mins. Then @ 11am pump again for 20mins. 9pm latch bb again &amp; pumped again...

I usually pump at 6am, 3pm, 11pm for about 30mins.

tried to stretch the timings got engorgement the last time.

hoping to drop the 3pm pump but quite difficult. timing too far from 6am - 11pm. Usually not able to pump earlier than 11pm cos busy with putting the kids to sleep.

Will most prob bf till max 1 year.

Parvina
thanks. Btw, my bb was born in Perth.

Hi ladies
if your supply is there, do continue to pump. For my case, initially my supply is okie, but after my mum and mil went back spore, my ss began to show sign of decrease. When there was no help, it was really difficult to cope with bb alone and finding time to pump. Even then, I still persist till my bb was 6mth when I introudced solid. Initially I also planned to bf for 1 year.

Any mummies made homemade oatmeal cereal b4?
Do we wash the oats and dry them b4 grinding to powder form or do we just grind the oats straight away?

My gal also don't like to drink water.
sad.gif
Think I will try adding gripe water to her plain water.

ashleigh
nopes, she doesnt really like. i gave it to her pure. give chinese spinach which is less bitter than "ang mo" spinach. i read it somewhere.

pravina
my ss is dropping so im wondering whether its time to intro FM already. so depressing...
my girl caught the flu n lost weight (400g) but not sure issit cos diff doc, diff weighing scale or she really lost weight.

Ashleigh,
i did but no use.

Jean,
becos too tired for a FTWM.
hard to keep up.
at first tot of bf at least 1 yr.
if i continue to BF...i need to send over every wkday evening to tampines...and come bk to sengkang. it has been going on 3mths plus since i went bk to work.
then at office need to pump twice...affect my work terribly. if i dun stop, i guess i need to tender better.
btw, my gal din wan to latch on since begining...has been pumping EBM for her...cant enjoy the bfg bonding. cant find time to pump when me and her alone on sat.
but at least nw 6 mth plus..shld be good enough.
i m really very tired...sterilise...pump...feed....since begining.

eviangal,
u wan freegreek? i got some to spare...can pass to u..
antibodies mus finished whole course..dun play play.

mummies...sorry to ask this...wat is dd, dh, ds means? i know behind character means daughter,hubby and son....how abt the first d?

Re: Ergo
is a very gd carrier...compared to MIM Sling and Hamurrangi Carrier. no back pain

Hi Apr Mommies &amp; Ashleigh

I just started my gal with cod-fish broccoli porridge today, she already bored with pumpkin/sweet potato/sweet corn. She seems to loves the porridge which I slow-cooked then sieved it before feeding her
happy.gif

Had another milestone last weekend, as I am going back to work in Dec, I took the pills to stop breastfeeding. Felt guilty and relieved at the same time, she tried FM for the 1st time last week and has adapted quite well …

Look forward to see most of the mommies and babies in the Xmas gathering
happy.gif

3wk old.... how come pumping affects ur work terribly.. me pump too since 3rd bb.. and now latch also must pump.. though i dun pump a lot of time now.. even lesser when i m off days.. sometimes.. i pump under nursing cover and pump at my table while answering calls.... no choice lah.. if not.. will go pantry and pump...

arghh.. just now pump already.. bring pump go toilet.. saw my valve lost.. find and find..retrack where i go.. dun have.. so angry.... now must use my spare valve

the work d in front is not mistake is darling... so dh.. darling hubby... and so foth.. hope i m right :p

RE: Mastitis
3wkold, I used to be the engorgement queen during the 1st 2M and now, yes, I'm the block duct queen. I've Mastitis before. AND, I have blocked ducts every few weeks. I'm like the regular in TMC parentcraft centre.. visiting them every month to clear those painful lumps!!
sad.gif
(

It's really hard to continue BF when bb doesn't latch on. Mine rejected me when he was 3M. So it has been ME and my PUMP eversince then. I don't like the bond between me and the MACHINE!! haha

I pump VERY regularly during a work day as we have a group of mummies who really motivate each other. Eg, they CALL u when it's time to pump and they SCOLD you when you skip pumping!
happy.gif

My pump times are ~6am/10am/230pm/530pm/~930pm.

I pump 3 times at work!! And yes, it is affecting my work. By the time I finish clearing the blocked ducts, wash. pack, its almost 45min!! (I only pump 20min, had to hand express abt 5min to ensure the breasts are cleared properly) I can see that my boss aren't really happy but I guess my bb is more impt!! So I just let it pass.

Ashleige, it is really tough to continue without help. I usu get super blocked over the weekends when I have to look after bb myself. I usu dragged till like 10-12hrs vs weekdays of 4hrs apart.

I am not sure when I will stop... and I pump coz I don't wanna get blocked ducts! Haha.. that removes the stress and timeline target!
happy.gif

I will be on course for the next 6 working days!! And I am not sure if I can access the lactation facilities.. and if I can pump so regularly... I hope no more block ducts leh!!

Dear mummies, I see some of you feeling upset about avign to stop nursing bb. Don't be, you've tried your best and it's not an easy journey. Give yourself a pat.
happy.gif
Maybe the second time round, you'll do an even better job. For my B1 I breastfeed until I start work, then i can't express enough I supplement 1 feed of FM a day and continue to BF and pump till she's 15mths. For B2, I learn form previous experience that I'll not express enuf at work so from day 1 I wake up 1-3 times a nite to express milk to store and stop this after he turn 4mths and so I store enuf to make up for my lack during office hr. B1 I pump twice at work but B2 I pump once only but I feel more relaxed and it's easier for me to continue to BF when I'm not so stressed. I latch him on b4 going to work and tandem pump, when I come home,I latch him on again and tandem pump. Frankly, for B2 I was prepared to stop BF-ing when I stop work, so it's a bonus that I can continue. I just realise so long as we do our best,let's not blame ourselves as it's really not easy to work and to BF. I used to be so caught up in it for B1 that I awalys cry over it. Silly me, the stress just makes my milk to be of lower quality.

So let's remember Happy Mummy = Happy + Healthy Baby!

Pardon my long-winded mail but I feel alot about this topic. ;p

wah baby mummy really pei fu u can pump 3 times in office. I pump once already find that it is quite disruptive as in need to spend about 45mins away from my desk.

mummies,
i came back to work on halfday basis after 2 mths, so i managed to stretch my ML till bb is abt 5+mths. so the real pumping at work started since then.
i tot i was the onli one who spent close to 1hr pumping at work, seems like many of u who pump at work do require the same amt of time to properly empty the BM.
tks for sharing, i'm glad to know tat i'm not alone in this ;)

baby_mummy
it's good tat u've a support grp at work. i dun even haf a proper place to pump so i hide behind some machine in the training rm coz the doors r all transparent!
i was so scared my colleagues will barge in, even tho i haf locked the door. the stress is there n initially i can sit there for 1hr n get very little out!
i dun think anybody in the office appreciates BF but i don't really care =p

eviangal
when did ur mastitis occur after u stretched ur pumping to >12hrs?
i think i've been doin tat for more than a wk now, on and off, so when shld i watch out for the symptoms?

coralmarine
ever thot of becoming a SAHM? i juz wonder how u can cope with 3 breastfed bb's and still working full time, when 1 bb is oredi making me tired enuff..

i stocked up alot of frozen EBM in the 2nd mth too when i was most engorged, but ended up throwing more than 20 cups away. xin1 tong4.. =(

then when i came back to work i can't express enuff. took awhile b4 i learn how to relax n pump at work. thru enuff there's a lot of ups n downs and we haf to adjust from time to time, so i heed ur advice - we shld not stress ourselves on this. =)

3wkold
*pat pat* i sense ur stress here.
it's not easy if u dun haf supportive ppl ard u. there're some ppl who scoff at me pumping at work too. i juz learn to joke back at them. ;)

is ur working hrs too long? or ur boss too demanding? are u getting enuff help fr ur family to take care of bb?

i think all these contribute to ur stress lvl n haf to be tackled or adjusted, if need be..

I agree with Coral. If you have tried your best in bf and if you really need to stop, don't blame yourself. Think of it this way, at least your babies get to drink breastmilk, be it only a month or a year. Heard from someone that the best nutrients from breastmilk actually comes during the first month after birth. I understand it really not easy to work and pump at the same time. Pat ourselves ladies, we have done a great job so far.

I also notice many of you choose to pump because your babies refuse to latch. I had the same encounter too, hmmm.

Just put my baby to sleep. Finally have some 'me' time. My baby really likes to bite her fingers. It has been so since she was 4mth, but there's still no teeth yet :p Heard that biting may mean teething.

Jean,I wish I can be SAHM, but need the $ leh ;p If I hv enuf $ to be SAHM I'll consider having B3. Now only 2 bbs.
happy.gif
I could not always achieve letdown when i used machine during B1's time, so I literally squeeze and pinch for the milk to come out; many times I got myself bruised, my mum was so worried that she wanted me to stop. For B2, after being more relaxed, I can achieve let down even with machine.

Actually during B1 I faced discrimination at work for pumping, they do not allow me to wash my pumps at the pantry, they say breast milk is dirty. I was only allowed to wash my pumps in the common toilet. I was so upset, I felt I let my gal down; I cried and cried. In the end, I tendered.
happy.gif

My current work place was not conducieve for pumping during B1's time too, no rooms with lock...This time round there's 2 preggies and my boss is kind enuf to change the lock of one meeting room for us. I'm just so grateful and happy, hence all the more I won't stop though pumping can be disruptive to work and sometimes pple do frown at us...but so long as I know I don't short change my company I'm conscious free. I eat in daily and I'm more efficient with my pumping now. I can do it in 15mins, used to need 30-45mins.

3wkold, maybe you can stop pumping at work but still BF b4 going to work and BF at nite. That's what I do for B1.When she turned 9mth old I stopped pumping at work since there wasn't a room with lock.I feed her in the day and at night
happy.gif

Back