2008 P1 Registration

Hi Micky
You can read up this thread as shared by Sleepy.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/enhancing-your-chances-getting-your-child-your-school-choice

Here's an extract :

Getting endorsed as an active Community Leader
"Active Community Leaders" are defined as current serving executive committee members of the Residents’ Committee (RC), Neighbourhood Committee (NC), Citizen’s Consultative Committee (CCC), Community Club Management Committee (CCMC) and the Community Development Council (CDC).
Join the RCs if you are in public housing (heart-landers), and NCs for private housing (no heart-landers like condo-landers/house-landers/own-landers).
Most importantly, make sure your target school is in the GRC that your RC or NC is serving in! You may check this by referring to this link. Please double check especially during pre-election years because GRC boundaries tend to "change".
When you first join, you will be registered as an Observer and you must be an active participant for at least 3-6 months before you are granted Executive Member status. You must be an Executive Member before you are given a chance to request for a letter signed by your MP to endorse you as an active community leader for priority registration in Phase 2B.
There is some debate on whether you need to be active for at least a year before you can be granted Executive Member status. What is certain, however, is that you must be prepared to be very active in all the meetings and activities of the RC and NC for a block of 3-6months.
In general, if you do not like your neighbours or doing community work, I would recommend that you do not go this route. You will be spending a lot more hours than PV, and it is not politically correct for you to do community work just because you want to get your child into a school you desire.
Here is the forum thread where parents share their experiences in being active community leaders.

www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420

hi mommies

just to share. my hubby's friend shifted house all the way from sembawang to clementi to be within 1 km from Nan Hua. But still his gal did not get a place. Ended up in Pei Tong instead. If the school is so popular, even within 1 km doesn't mean sure to get in.

I was rejected by Nan Hua for PV work. As I stay in 1km-2km range from Nan Hua think my hope is very slim. I might settle for the 2nd best in Clementi area, ie, Clementi Primary for registration next year.

Does any mommy know if I register for one school, can I still be on the waiting list for another school?

micky

if that's the case, u better start the RC member now, might be just in time.
Then called the school too to see if they are accepting PV
happy.gif

Is always not too late to start

hi mummies

Wld like to ask for some advise here.
I would like to volunteer for a school which is v near my place, actually just downstairs and the school is quite popular.
What is the "best" activities/svcs i shld put down in order to be selected by the school as a volunteer?

Hi mummies,

I am so glad I found this thread!
happy.gif

I totally understand the anxieties and feel of the P1 registration exercise! gosh! Wat an ordeal!

My kiddo will be attending P1 in 2010 so I am startin to read up now...

Any mummies can help me with my questions??

Question 1: Lets say, the school has 200 vacancies left after Phase 2a. Will they divide the vacancies into half half for Phase 2b & 2c? Eg: 100 for Phase 2b and 100 for phase 2c?

Question 2: If the above is yes, if there are 200 applicants for phase 2b, does this mean the balloting will be only for those who stay within 1km?

Question 3: Will the balance 100 applicants in phase 2b be brought over to phase 2c??

Question 4: But if phase 2c has more than 100 applicants, then those brought over fron phase 2b will also not stand a chance since balloting will be for 1km right???

Hi, i am new here.
happy.gif
Got my son registered at Nanyang. But what's next? Heard "scary" stories like "he needs to know everything in the textbook" by day one. How true? Anyone kind enough to give me some advice? Thanks.

Veronica
Hi5, glad to find another mummy who registered in Nanyang. My gal too. As per my fren, they are learning through play for the first year. I have been trying to get info from mummies whose kids are in Nanyang but no luck so far.

I think for Nanyang, the kid must be quite independent and learn fast...according to my fren whose gal is in P5 there, she said Nanyang kids are typically confident and very self-motivated, due to the school system, but it is also quite tough if you are not academically inclined...

Have paid S$1K to join alumni, so should be putting my gal there in 2010 too...

One bad news re good schools- don't know if it is true- heard from other mummies that in "good" schools, all kids get external tuition, so if you do not know the answer in class, teacher will say "why your tuition teacher never teach you!!!", so kids feel inferior without tuition....

What is this world coming to???

Hi fairyprincess,

U r old NYPS gal? Me too...

Still hesitating whether shld I pay $1K to join the alumni... find it really not worth it leh..
My cousin says that actually dun need to sign up as alumni, shld still be able to get it...

Just to check, how do u join as alumni?

Thanks!

Fairyprincess, Hoshi
Me oso old NYPS gals. Which year are you ? me 1974.

Ya realli no need to pay for the fee. Because I went for registration this year, i ask the PIC if need to ballot. He laughed at me.

Saying at 2A2, sure can get in.

Hi co11ectionz,
Let me try to answer yr questions:

Question 1: Lets say, the school has 200 vacancies left after Phase 2a. Will they divide the vacancies into half half for Phase 2b & 2c? Eg: 100 for Phase 2b and 100 for phase 2c?

<font color="0000ff">Yes, it will be divided equally</font>

Question 2: If the above is yes, if there are 200 applicants for phase 2b, does this mean the balloting will be only for those who stay within 1km?

<font color="0000ff">Assumption:
Vacanies : 100
Applicants : 200 (120 pax within 1 km, 50 pax 1-2 km, 30 pax >2km)

In this scenario, the 120 pax within 1 km will have to be balloted as vacanies only 100. If no of applicants within 1km is less than 100, balloting only required for probably 1 - 2km or >2 km. </font>

Question 3: Will the balance 100 applicants in phase 2b be brought over to phase 2c??

<font color="0000ff">I was told that it will not be auto carried forward. U need to register again at phase 2C. Maybe some mummies can help to confirm this piece</font>

Question 4: But if phase 2c has more than 100 applicants, then those brought over fron phase 2b will also not stand a chance since balloting will be for 1km right???

<font color="0000ff">If I am right, those within 1 km will need to ballot, irregardless carried forward from phase 2B or registered under 2C. They will be balloted together. Mummies, pls confirm.</font>

Hello Hoshi, Little Pony,

I very old lah- born in 1973 =)

Ya, old gal of NYPS will be in phase 2A2- sure can get in, based on past years experience...

but my parents kiasu (not my hubby!), and they said S$1K only, sure can afford, so to make them happy, I paid lor...

My parents made a sizable donation for me to get into Nanyang Kindergarten 30 years ago, so now, they feel to be safe, just pay S$1k to increase my gal's chance from phase 2A2 to 2A1 =)

Just go to the school office with cheque and your PSLE cert- to certify that you were really from NYPS- school report book not good enough...

Fairyprincess
I registered with my report book. So still ok. I saw many others oso.

Me oso in Nanyang kindergarten. ha ha You are my senior woh.

You know hor I forgot about the kindergarten and was planning for my son. Called them recently and was told the wait list is 300. So horrible

Hi mummies,

Heard from my hubby that his colleague failed to get his child into the good schools in Bishan area despite staying there and there are many 'reputable' schhols in that area. Desperate, he called to ask each of the good schools how to get in and one school replied "Donate $20 000."........... He didn't tell which school was that or my hubby didn;t get the name..... So scary!

me also from nanyang kindergarten leh...!!

But I'm 1979 one...
happy.gif

So confirm no need join alumni??... sure can get in??

I was also in the NY Pre-primary.. now the whole place really changed a lot!!

Were u both ever taught by Wu2 Lao3 Shi1 before??... the fiercest teacher in nanyang..
biggrin.gif

Anyone from Raffles Girls Pri and Sec?

I am an old gal there, so wondering if being an old girl is safe enough to secure a place for my girl, or need to join the alumni.

Hi Littletotscloset,

THanks so much for your response! VEry helpful!

Sigh.. this means that do PV &amp; stay 1km nearby also not guarantee. End of the day.. its still LUCK!
happy.gif

YUki, wow.. pay $20k! gosh...

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. No need to join alumni, we din. We got in 2A2, no queue, no ballot.

Anyway, i will probably get to see Chicken Little during orientation in Nov. Cheers.

i was asking around for info on Nanyang, so far i heard that the current principal is good (which is important) and she has only served 3 years --> i.e. a few more years to go. Hee.

Keep me posted on updates. Cheers and thanks again.

Hayashihishiko,
Ha ha this nick is realli long wow. Ha ha hopefully same class, then can cross check. My gal is one cannot be bother about homework, slow slow and now I worried she even survived.

You dun accept pm. can email me at [email protected]

hi hi, Veronica and chicken little,

I just read what you said abt the school. I don't think it's true at all. Regardless of the type of school, parents still need to support the kid in his studies for today's syllabus. And Nanyang doesn't require the child to know 'everything in the textbook' by day one. That's crazy. Then go to school for what?

I leave the formal teaching to the school's teachers and I think they do a good job most of the time, esp the P1 teachers. Most of the time I don't even pre-teach my kid and I find that my kid understands the concepts well. I refrained from speaking Mandarin to my kid until she went to P1 and she's doing well in her Chinese now, reading words I didn't expect she would know how to.

I feel that the teaching is sound, and better than most schools I know (not that I know about teaching in that many schools). The distance is crazy, but honestly, I won't pull my kid out for that reason becos I'm convinced the school is well-run for good reasons. It's not just a 'branded' school for the sake of being 'branded'. I'm very glad my kid goes to this school. There are weak children in the school as well and they also have LSP. They don't chuck you aside just becos you are weak.

Thanks rains,

i am really glad to hear the positive feedback from you regarding Nanyang. i really hope i made a right choice and cuz i din want to put my son through "painful childhood" just becuz he has to "live up to the school's expectation" or "mommy's bad choice".

Cheers. Thanks again.

gingerbelle
hope its not too late to inform you this. my colik is a volunteer with Nan Hua even tho she is outside the 2km range. I think it depends on the 'services' you can provide. Her hubby was a table tennis player last time, so now teaching some of the kids table tennis. guess you have to probe to find out wat kind of volunteer they are looking for.

anyone here whose kid is born in 2002 and still haven't secured any places in any primary schools yet?

luanee
you did not accept PM (private mail). Yes, I have 3 pinafores size 9 and 2 pinafores size 10. I have lengthen them so can wear longer since children grow tall pretty fast. These sizes are for P1 &amp; P2. You may email me for further discussion.

Hi just wondering whether anyone has any comments on Hong Wen? My gal is born in 2003 and I have to start making plans now cos I have no time to be a PV.

Thanks caroline, but I think my girl would prefer new uniforms, and I am also rather looking forward to helping her choose the sizes etc, hee...

Hi mommies from this thread!

Does anyone know anything about the affiliation in Christian Brothers Schools? e.g. if dh is an old boy of St Michael, does that mean our son can be considered under Phase 2A2 registration at De La Salle Pri? Or if dh is from De La Salle Pri, can our son be under Phase 2A2 registration for SJI Jr (since it's been renamed)?
Phase 2A2 is when parent is an old boy/girl of school but not in alumni, right?

Thanks!

k's mom

there's no affiliation among the catholic schools. i.e. if your dh is from de la salle, your kid cannot come under phase 2A in SJI jr. Totally not related. Even for convent schools eg, for a CHIJ toa payoh mother, dd cannot be considered for St Nicks. Even if join alumni, also associate member only. Not a full member.

Hi just trying to find anyone's kiddo will be joining NYPS next year.

My gal will be in 1L. Anyone in same class ?

hi mummies,

i am a first time mom and would like to to enrol my son either in HENRY PARK PRI OR NAN HUA PRI..

can i simultaneously apply for both schools during the pri 1 registration? like submit 2 applications at the same time?

as i stay 1.75km away from henry park pri, and only 1km away from nan hua..our 1st choice is henry park..however what if i fail the selection at henry park, then do i still have time to be in the 1st choice selection for nan hua?

how do all these work? i'm so confused!! pls help!!

hi, pinkmama...

u r not allowed to register in 2 schs at the same time.
u'll nd to withdraw ur application from one sch to register in another.

if u r not eligible to register ur child during phases 1, 2a &amp; 2b, during phase 2c, children living within 1km from henry park pri would be given the priority, followed by those living btw 1km - 2km (which is ur child), followed by those living outside 2km from the sch.

should ur child be unsuccessful during phase 2c, u'll nd to register him / her at another sch which still has vacancies during phase 2c (supp).

since nan hua pri is a very popular sch, i reckon that ur child may not stand a chance if u only register during phase 2c (supplementary).

so, u'll nd to plan carefully...

hope the info above helps.
happy.gif

Back