(2004/06) June/July 2004 Babies

QSG, this church kindy has nursery class. I forgot the class size liao, think it's abt 10-12? Actually I also cant rem the exact time that Vane got to go to sch. Hehehe.... this mummy really hopeless.

pringles/sanrio, what's this baby wise program abt? Just let bb be alert for 1-2hrs then let him to nap for as long as he can? And keep doing this over and over again?

giggler,
is basically to establish a routine 4 d bb since he/she does not hav 1 wen nb. it follows: wake, feed, play, sleep. tat means there is a 'tx' fixed for each. so wen is not feeding tx, u dun feed. esp for bfg mum, they jus feed on demand n hence bb developed comfort sucking n cant slp wo d breast etc. my frd diligently followed tis n she fully bf. so if it's not feeding tx, she dun 'offer' her breast at all. so at abt 2 to 3 mths, her boy can slp tru. so af feed, u mus play w them n not let them slp immediately.
1 thg is wen u feed, d bb mus hav drank enough. tat is even bb doze off while feeding, hav to wake bb up to complete d feed. my frd tickle bb, undo bb shirt, use cold towel lightly touch bb face etc etc to kip bb awake while feeding. she said is tough for 1st mth++, but af tat is a breeze.
oso nvr rock or cari bb to slp as u will becum d bb slping aid, tat is wo u n d rocking, bb cant slp on his/her own.
d 'theory' believes tat if bb stomach is filled, he drk enough, played n is tired, he/she will fall slp on their own.
u mus b able to take d bb crying as a start n mus b consistent. some bb gets 'trained' faster, some take a longer tx.
many mummies cant follow tru tis program as they feel too soft hearted esp wen bb cry.
my frd believes bb wld b happier n more secure if u help them estbalish a routine fr d start so she persisted.
1st few wks d interval btw each 'session' will b shorter n slowly u can lengthen it, like feed interval becum 3hrly or 4hrly etc..

there's a book available on tis program. n book 2 tot abt how to discipline ur todd n growiing kids up in God's way. my frd followed tis diligently too n her 3yrs old boy (now) thou active n playful but is v well disciplined n respect n obey d parents. i m a little impressed.

Hi mommies, very rainy weather. Enjoy your nice cool day!

sanrio-Your gynae very excited about your bb too! Congrats! Hb still stunned?

B2 - I used the Philips Cucina too. There's also a cheaper version by a brand called Takasomething that my mom uses. I need to go my mom's place to check. Saw a vendor selling at Rivervale Mall about 2-3 weeks ago. Pasir Ris also now and then have those temporary stalls selling it.

The Cucina is actually a range of appliances, but the one I used is supposedly mainly for making baby food. It only has 1 speed, a main blender, 1 wet mill (for making paste ) and 1 dry mill(for grains).

Koala-you also not that many fats what! So scan very clear lor!

regarding A's Daddy-Yoh, don't praise him too much, skali the wife get jealous, y'knoW! Now and then must 'hum tum' him a bit, else he one day forbidden to come in liao!

Ruffy-I love Roy's chubby cheeks! How're you doing? So going to apply for long-term NPL?

Maybe you can check wif a lactation consultant and see if Roy is latching on correctly? Must be very painful for you. Rub the BM on them to heal them quicker. Take care!

Bearbit,
so far so gd. Yeah will apply for at least 1.5yr NPL. Working not a priority for me ;) Roy doesn't have problem latching on.. just problem unlatching- dun want to unlatch.. when u want to break the latch he suck harder etc... now not so bad after he did his tongue tie cut.. doesn't use his gums.
Sanrio,
so u going to follow the bb wise program eh?
happy.gif
I think it is too rigid coz bb won't be flexible and u will be "bind" to the house when it is their sleeping time. For Roy is wake/play/ eat then sleep - mummy sleep also.
happy.gif

sanrio, pringles, giggler,
I also followed this programme with Sarah. Only I found that in the initial days, the bb's waketime is quite short. Practically all the time she takes to feed and do the diaper change is the total waketime already. Later on (maybe after a month or so) then it stretches out to 1-2 hours. Did you find this also Pringles? Sarah was sleeping 'through' the night by 2-3 wks, though I would wake her after just 4 hours cos of my milk supply.

Ruffy,
Actually you are not really housebound. Cos although the programme seems rigid, you can be flexible. Bb should be able to sleep anywhere. And the main thrust of the programme is that the schedule should be a 'characteristic' of your baby's day, but doesn't need to be so stiff that you can't do anything. Principally, the bb should not rule your life. By the time the bb settles into a nice schedule, you should be able to plan your day a little better. There is a reason behind the sleep-->feed-->waketime order. Very hard to explain lah. Anyway, do take plenty of rest and don't overstrain
happy.gif

Sanrio, can i have the title of the 2 books and the author pls? Thanks...bec Evee hardly naps in the day, if she falls asleep on the breast, i dun wake her up so that i can do something..but problem is sometimes she wakes up again after 10mins or so.Usually how long must we keep bb awake before trying to put bb back to cot to let her fall asleep on her own?

sanrio, what's the title of the book? Wonder if NLB has it, thot of reading up now.
happy.gif
Think the diff part is how to know if bb has drank enuf is we direct-feed bb.

PVL, you also swear by this method? I think I better search for book on this to find out more.
happy.gif
So I'll just let bb follow the routine of wake, feed, play, sleep and that'll do?

qsg, giggler,
i dun hav d books w me right now, w my frd. i check n let u noe. cant get in NLB. they are christian books by christian authors. i tink Crest christian bookshop may have it. if i m not wrong, 1st book is 'Baby Wise', 2nd book is 'Growing Kids In God's Ways'.

hi,
anyone has $30 huggies ntuc receipt? tink most likely not hoh as most todds oreadi toilet trained. w d receipt, can buy little tikes car at a discounted price. but i nid it asap, if any mummies or frds hav n dun nid, can pass to me. tks
happy.gif

Sanrio, thanks, let us know then when you check with your friend. Where is Crest Christian bookshop? any idea if Mount Zion would have?

qsg, giggler, ruffy,
i do undstd n agree tat there is no 1 'perfect' way in caring for a bb. so best is to find a way best suited for yourself/d mummy.

Giggler, QSG
The other books to look at are Gina Ford's which you could try to get at NLB. Can check NLB online to see where they are available.

Hi Mommies,
Thanks for all your compliments! Really hor, I am not so romantic lah, just that flower is something my wife loves (she loves flower arrangement), so I am 100% sure flower will make her feel happy and loved during her birthday. It is also something especial this year since I can now add Adrian's name into the card.

Bearbitt,
Yeah, must "hum-tum" me..LOL

Ava, Eureka, Koala, B2,
So sorry for not able to make it to the party.
I arrived home around 7+am, washed up, went breakfast with wife and Alicia (Adrian with MIL at home). Alicia went to Nanny's house to play while I catch up with my sleep. Wife went to driving lesson. I woke up at around 2pm to fetch Alicia back, but wife only came back at around 4pm.

Looks:
I am average looking guy lah. Giggler, two other mommies from this forum, and Koala's hb met me in person before. Giggler can probably give some descriptions..LOL, but dun match that with a monster OK?

Eureka,
Yes, Wife has also many complaints on me..hahahaha...like not washing the bottles the right way, giving in to Alicia too easily...etc. But hor, these are little things that sometimes foster the relationship better.

Ruffy,
Nice pic of Roy. Take care, and rest well.

qsg, giggler,
There are some very strong criticisms on this 'method' by pple on 'the other side'. But it's really up to you to try for yourself. There is the secular series of books - On Becoming Babywise; On Becoming Toddlerwise etc. The Growing Kids God's Way is now called "Along the Infant Way"; "Along the Toddler Way" etc

Ava, Gina Ford's books are good?

PVL, I understand cos it involves religion, I guess.
happy.gif

A's dad, ok lah... you look smart and presentable looking. Def not monster-look. LOL......

Giggler
They are supposed to be v good. I didnt follow very strictly...tell you what, I'll lend you mine...probably somewhere in the house still! When u free for lunch?

Giggler,
The Babywise series is secular, though the content is much the same as the Christian series. The books are very much against 'attachment parenting', so a lot of the critics come from that camp.

giggler,
i agree w pv, there is no absolute right or wrong way to parenting, it all depends on wat d mummy believes is best for her n d bb.

sanrio,
Yah, the original "Growing Kids God's Way" is the Christian version. Then the authors took out all the Chrisitan references and published the series as "On Becoming Babywise/Toddlerwise" etc. (commonly known as Babywise). But the method in it is exactly the same. Now the "Growing Kids..." series has been updated and comes under the series "Along the Infant/Toddler/Adolescent etc Way". I bought the entire series when I was in the States cos they were having a half price sale then. Hehehe.

Giggler
Let's meet next Tuesday. We can have Boxing Day special lunch hehe...anyone else wanna join? 12.30 where?

Nannies
Hey, anyone remember the nanny finding service (bb something?) my friend needs a nanny but she lives too far from my nanny for me to recommend her. BTW anyone lives in Holland V area and needs a nanny since I am bringing Adan home from Jan?

pv,
oic. tks. do u noe ar d christian series ones available in s'pore? d bks are now back w my frd n since she is expecting her no.2, i tot i cld get 1 set on my own.

Hi mummies
just came back from shopping at Robinsons for kids' stuff. Quite pleased it wasn't crowded and got discounted stuff mostly
happy.gif

Re: "baby Wise Program"
Guess there's no rite or wrong method la. Whichever method,ultimate aim is to get a rested mom and a happier babe.

Sanrio, QSG, Giggler
To tell u the truth, i don't even know what's this program abt. I didn't read any book but was simply advised to try out this method for young infants because its effective ie, Awake,feed,play,nap...awake,feed,play,nap....

I'm basically not the type to follow straight by the book alone. Read just to adapt ideas and play around to suit your own individual bbs. So, honestly i think can save yourselves the cash on buying books with regards to this since we are all 2nd round parents already.

PVL
Yep, initial 1-3 mths they tend to nap alot and wake time could be as little as 45 min. But by 3-4th mth,my boy is awake for up to 2 hrs or longer esp in evenings. I don't find it rigid at all because Nigel has been able to play all he wants when alert, nap as much or as little as he likes, and nap anywhere (except noisy places) be it sarong, bed or pram.

I must say the best thing about this is that he knows how to fall asleep easily when he's tired and we know wat each cry means. My maid and I were equally impressed when we first saw the effects.

QSG
Its def not late to try. I only started after cf lady left. Anyway, my cf lady never believed in carrying all the time if bb cries. Did your cf lady overdo it? I don't just place bb on bed and leave the room la...sounds so cold and hard hearted. I can't bear. But we prefer to place on bed and pat abit when we know he is obviously tired. All bbs love to be held close to chest and I do that alot, but for this method, u must put bb down when its time to sleep and just pat a little. Yes, like wat Sanrio said, gotta be firm on letting bb cry if they want but soon, they will stop crying to be carried to sleep.
my 2cts worth
kao_smile.gif

ava,
shd i go back to work af bb is born, i may consider a nanny. hv is not too far fr my hse. if i nid d contact, will check w u. tks. but stil a long.... way.

Busy busy for the festives... how's everyone coping?

No photos from the gathering?? so sad i couldn't join but lucky cos end up hb worked till 8pm. Then i'll be stuck at Ava's house...hahahhaha

Eureka,
Believe me... i have my fair share of frustrations and weeping initially. A few motivation books and some sharing from the ang mos teach me to be joyful in all i do. Well, if they can juggle 3-5 kids of different ages n still homeschool.. it must be possible.

So the gist is not in trying to cope.. but finding joy in the daily stuff. Then somehow housework seems to be completed faster n easier and the kids seems less of a monster. hahahha

but then again, mine r still not up to fighting yet...

Ruffy,
Congratz... do rest well.

Pringle,
I've stopped bf'ing already but i do remember yes, i had the problem of getting hungry last time too.. eat lor, feed urself well so that bb gets chubby chubby... then auntie Emily go pinch pinch!

Sanrio,
Good for you... stay happy! eat healthy!

QSG,
hahaha... yeah, i'm a strong believer in routines. Jay will be changed, fed, kissed and he'll fall asleep on his own in the cot.

RE : the awake, feed, nap method
yah... read it and adapt to ur baby. afterall... the one they used to test are not our precious!! but the skeleton of it stays pretty much the same.

But to get any methods to work out, i think most importantly is we have to understand our baby well enough to introduce him/her to our lifestyle. (Yeah, baby change his way to suit us not the other way round.) Understanding their cries r very important especially for latch on bbs. cos we tend to just latch them whenever they fuss forgeting that it might just be plain attention that they want. result : comfort sucking.

Then for nite time.. one of the common mistake we make is dun play enuf w bb in the day so they zzz thru. Then bedtime comes along, we wan them to sleep, we use the rocking method but bb take it that u r giving cuddles/comfort/attention which lacked in the day... result : keeping crying for it till it becomes a habit.

Ava, on... we'll meet on 26 Dec for lunch. Any other mummies coming? GG/Pigletz/Hazey/etc???

pringles, Robinson still having discounts? Ok, think meanwhile I'll just memorise "awake, feed, play, nap". Hehehe

brenda, I'll rem what you said abt handling bb. I'll also know who to call if I need help during my cf period liao. LOL

Hi all, what shampoo do you use for your kids? I found splits end on Vane's hair leh. I've been using J&J (yellow) all this while, maybe I shd change liao.
sad.gif

Hi Mummies
1st mth party,
Besides Neo Gardens any other recommendations of nice food for Tea-time. Need to plan liao.. only have decided on the 1st mth cake- chocolate cake from Secret recepie
happy.gif

Hi Alicia Daddy,
Pressure or Pleasure that u are such a mysterious figure??
happy.gif

It is wise that ur wife is taking up driving hor? U travel so much, she got to do the driving (chauffering)/despatching of kids/parents/ILs later! Very much convenient!

Hi giggler,
Thereagain, what else can a little bb do beside wake, feed, play n nap??
happy.gif

Routine is very very important n once set, life is really easier for caregiver! My kids will chant to me....'eat lunch, read book, drink water, sleep' etc.....elyse will further confirm 'Is it sleep now???' They really know their routine! They also know how to push their limit but allows no room for discussion for their routines! Yes, n hor u got to get it right right from BEGINNING.....very important!

Much earlier on, I spotted Elyse with lots of spilt ends too. I blamed it on me not ever trimming her hair. So i started cutting her hair, DIY n it really rid off her damaged hair. Now no more liao.....Cut it off, quick, 2 mths to cny!
happy.gif
My kids are still using J&J shampoo....

Btw, ALicia's daddy suave bo? hahahhahaha.....honesty is the best policy hor!

Hi Pringles,
I fully agree with whatever u share with regards to taking care of bb! Bookwise, I have same thots as you! I dun follow too. I surf online, adopt ideas n follow own intuition. My various bbcare books, as good as new, had been selling off very well n I have stopped buying
happy.gif
!

Hi Brenda,
Thanks very much for sharing with me. Somehow at the back of the mind, we know what we are doing are really blessed chore on taking care of our young ones but occasionally, it really eats me up too.

Yes, ang mos or malays are really great in this aspect!

I supposed working oso has its woes n complaint....yes, u r rite, enjoy in the little chores....besides, when the kids are dear, they are really n truly very very sweet n endearing!!!!!

Giggler!!
where r u today?? the sun's out and my doc just called to say run out of vaccine for jay today..hahaha

Eureka,
yah i envy the malays for their freq gatherings w curries & ang mo for their family bbqs n camps.

hahah... talking abt our dear kids, i hv one incident to share.

gave him some stylofoam blocks to play the other day. so was watching him change it to 'chair', then 'multi storey carpark' for his cars and then like any kids, 'snow'. He was having so much fun w the snow making that he look really lovely. Next thing i know is.. i msn Mark n says," Jem wans a white christmas and I wan to stay on as a SAHM." hahaha... they just hv a way to make us smile despite the mess on the floor!

brenda, does Jay cry when trying to go to sleep on his own? or he will just play himself till he fall asleep? I realised if i let Evee cry to sleep after a short while she will wake up again.

Ruffy, I just saw Loreal shampoo for kids at Jason's supermart yday. May try that out. How abt pastries from Delifrance?

eureka, you're rite lah but bb may not behave in that sequence mah. I cut and trim Vane's hair every mth leh, not enuf? Aiyo, suave or not is very subjective leh. Hahaha... Stimes the kids really sweet and endearing lor. Last nite, I got severe backache so asked hb to massage for me. Then Vane kept holding to my hand and comforted me with her constant "mummy, are you ok? pain pain ah?" So touched leh.

brenda, me working today lah, cant meet you at my playgrd. Hahaha... where do you bring Jay for his vaccine? Pioneer Mall? I enjoyed watching the way both Vane and niece play also. So envy my mom stimes. Hehehe....

Ava, I think the J&J shampoo not really suitable for gals with long hair leh.
sad.gif

Giggler, i am currently using the J&J one but is not strong enough for Dana who perspires easily and her hair stinks after a few hours. I have bought the Loreal kids shampoo which has nice fruity smell but haven't tried on her yet. You may wanna try this as recommended by Ruffy too. YOu can also purchase conditioner to go with the shampoo if you are concerned about the split ends. There have a 2 in 1 too i think.

Morning mommies! Finally the rain has stopped!! Any of you experienced flooding?

FYI, Toys R Us members can enjoy 7% d/c if pay by UOB credit card.

Also, Popular has this series of Chinese books that covers Art and Craft activities for children. There's one book that gives ideas for making pictures out of handprints, and another that makes pictures out of just fingerprints. You don't need to understand Chinese to use the books, the pix are clear enuff. If you're looking for ideas to fill up time with your kids, maybe can check them out. And for older kids, there are other art/craft books in that series, particularly one book that makes paper models of real-life airplanes that are so realistic, I'm very sure even your 'big boys' will be impressed.

<font color="0000ff">Ruffy</font>-referring to your last post, what's Roy's "tongue tie cut"? I got kinda shock when I read it.

<font color="0000ff">parenting</font>-There was an article abt a year ago in magazine comparing Babywise and Attachment parenting. In the end, I guess it really depends on your own lifestyle and parenting style. As has been mentioned, we're all 'experienced' parents liao, so we'd know what our styles are more or less like liao for no. 2 onwards. There are plenty of books on both methods(and more than these 2 methods) in the library. Do go and browse thru' them. I suggest that if you stay in the East, Pasir Ris library is best. Sengkang library parenting books are usually out on loan, very hard to find. Cheng San's books are somewhat limited.

<font color="0000ff">pringles</font>-Robinsons sale until when, pls? Need to get more Mustela products for Teddy. Thanks.

<font color="0000ff">Giggler</font>-I also use J&amp;J yellow, and about once a week, I'll use the J&amp;J conditioning shampoo (red one) so his hair doesn't tangle so easily.

giggler,
ash uses Canus Li'l Goats Milk Tearless Shampoo &amp; Body Wash fr moms essential. there's 1 shop at suntec near toy r rus, 1 at kkh n 1 at united sq i tink. v v nice smell n keep his hair clean n soft. ash got soft fine hair like me. ash tried j&amp;j etc.. all not suitable. he has sensitive skin esp face n neck so he will cum out of d bathrm w red patches n itch if such shampoo or wash irritate his skin. so far d goats shampoo n wash is v gd.
tink pringles's alicia uses tis too.

QSG, think I'll get Loreal to try then.

bearbitt, seems like J&amp;J is popular among us.
happy.gif
Think I'll pop by the library to look see then.

sanrio, are they ex? My fren recommends Sebamed but find it very ex leh.

QSG,
Jay play till sleep.. initial stage still need to use the rattle on him (cos mobile too far for him to see), then now he just play w the mobile till zzz..

He's a light sleeper too n wake up throughout the nite... but he goes back to sleep on his own. He slept thru since 2 month.

Giggler,
hahaha... erm, i bring Jay back to Toa Payoh for his jab. the doc just called me n say he is going to other clinic to get the vaccine for him so we'll be going later.

Hi all,

Taka talking hall from 27th Dec to 10 Jan

Children Wear Fair
This is a special opportunity to take advantage of the bargains during this fair! With up to 50% off, you'll have your fill of bargains in children's merchandise from apparel to accessories.

Giggler
Alicia also uses Li'l Goats milk tearless shampoo &amp; body wash. Yesterday i bought Sebamed at Robinsons to try. Its very mild. Smells really nice leh, i tried on myself and alicia
happy.gif
Only a few drops required and keeps hair rather tangle free. 1 bottle can last really long time for kids.

Bearbitt
I'm not too sure how long Robinsons sale is on. btw, on selected items only. But i received a post christmas sale pamphlet from them too.

ruffy,
Roy has tongue tie pblm? Kayden has it but PD told us to monitor cos for his case, it's not very serious that it affects feeding. If it doesn't affect his speech later on, then we dun have to opt for surgery.

pringles,
The mtd that u're using sounds smthg like wat i read from 'The happiest baby on the block' (not sure exact title oredi but smthg like tis).

brenda,
Jay n Jem haven started snatching each other's toys? Kayden wans to play with Kieran's toys but Kieran simply refuses to let didi play with his toys. So end up I have a protesting bb or a whiny toddler.

HIyee skyblue!
do u really pop out only when the sky is blue??

no leh.. not yet. Jay's still playing w mobile, playmat, play gym and rattles.. so not snatching yet.

Only one toy do they share which is those activities toy on the walker... even then if its Jay's turn on the walker, Jem will fix it up for him instead.

So far i only hear jem scold Jay's once... hahah, Jay made a grab for the potato chips, next thing i heard was,"NOtti Didi!!"

Giggler, think the sale is till christmas eve.

Brenda, Jay so guai, play till sleep. I have been trying to pat Evee on her cot for her nap but not successful, gave up tried sarong she also didn't fall asleep...finally hardened the heart let her cry hopefully can cry to sleep but after crying 15mins non stop still crying
sad.gif
. Dana slept thru from 1 month, was hoping Evee could also but till now her feeding still quite erratic...

giggler,
it's a bit ex. 476ml for $24.90 i tink. members get 10% disct. but 1 bottle can use for quite a while as only a little is needed. ash uses sebamed wash for bath wen nb.

QSG,
try more methods?? bend over the cot(yah.. backpain) to let her sense ur presence? instead of patting try stroking? which area she likes best... some like the face(they will turn n nuzzle into the palm), jay like it on his head(he will turn one side for me to cont.), some like it on their arms. Maybe a comfort blankie?

slowly lah... dun give up too easily on the crying.

Back