(2004/06) June/July 2004 Babies

Hi taringal, welcome back! Wow, congrats on bb girl. So nice.. u can buy all the cute and sweet stuff now.

As for me, will only be able to know sex on 21st this month. Will have to wait and see what i get.

btw, am also thinking of breastfeeding. Thinking of getting an automatic one... at least won't have hand pain after that. I too am not sure what brand is good... I heard that pigeon is no good. Medela... am not sure. Is the medela pump auto or manual?
Anyone have experience in breastpumps... please help.

am thinking that maybe it is too early to get breastpumps now. Firstly, don't know if have enough milk. Secondly, don't know if i will be able to cope withy breastfeeding.

Hi taringal, I'll be having bb girl too! My gynae just confirmed it on Mon.
happy.gif

Hi Emily, same as u... I may not get breatpumps so soon. Maybe I'll just get other essential things like clothings for bb first.

Anyone intend to use cloth diapers for bb?

hi taringal....
congrats on knowing gender...
happy.gif

me not going to buy bb stuff so soon... will prob wait until May when the GSS comes... hehe...

giggler...
my hubby keen to use the cloth diapers... but me not sure... cos v inconvenient leh... hv to wash and stuff.... hubby dun wori abt it cos he's not the one doing the washing...

Hi soyabean, I find that cloth diapers very troublesome also. Still got to sterilize rite? If bb poos alot, then it'll be worse hor?

Hi Emily,
The pump i m talking abt is automatic. the pump cost 160 and the bag cost 40. Can get the pump without the bag or both. I m thinking of getting it now coz' i m afraid the seller may not have any stock in future. My colleague bought it quite earlier too and now she is happily using it.

Hi Giggler,
Congrats! Can ur hubby feels the movement of the bb yet? My husband can feel her movements a few days back, esp at nite after 11pm... kinda of excited for daddy to be...
biggrin.gif

so nowsday, hubby must feel for my gal kicking before we go to sleep.

Hi soyabean,
my hubby also thot of using cloth diapers... i dun mind using it coz he is the one washing all the clothings...
biggrin.gif
probably u can delegate this job to your hubby.

hey, My hubby also thinking of hiring maid to take care of my bb but i was against the idea. i prefer baby sitter. which is better? maid or baby sitter?

Anyone here engaging confinement lady for the 1st mth after delivery?

Hi taringal, my hubby can feel bb's movements few weeks ago. It's now a rountine for him to talk and feel bb before he sleeps every nite. I won't be getting confinement lady cos my mom will help me with that. But my friend encouraged me to get one as she found it very helpful. I prefer bb-sitter to maid cos bb-sitter will be more professional mah.

giggler/taringal...
me not sure abt sterilising leh...
haha... if i delegate to him, think he will wan to use diapers liao... good strategy!
lol.gif

my hubby cant feel movement yet.... mine still too light to be felt even by me sometimes... so it'll be a few weeks more b4 daddy can feel it.
happy.gif

Hi Taringal,

Me thinking of bf too. Medela brand is quite well recommended, but there r a few types. U can go to the old thread "Breast Pump for Mother-to-be" for some reference. Do u know the usual price for the medela dual pump? Ur lobang seems v cheap leh.

Cloth diapers...just found out fr. my fren that u can use liners with cloth diaper, so that bb poos will not dirty diaper directly. So easier to wash mah. But dun know bb will be uncomfortable anot.
For me, most prob will ask my mum for her preference cos she will be helping wif my confinemt.

Hi soyabean, I didn't know that we got to sterilize cloth diapers till I read from a book y'day. Also, if bb poos alot then very troublesome. If use disposable diapers, can just throw and that's it.
happy.gif

hi kis... i think the liners are a good idea...
happy.gif

hi giggler...
hmmm.... sterilize.... means washing them in high temp water or boiling water? yah... disposable diapers are so much more easier.

hi priviledged...
yes! i feel dat too... dinners are the worst. my tummy is reali big now! my mummy says i look like i will be giving birth in may... and i am oni 18 weeks now...

hi, liners are very comfortable. They are soft to touch and also much cleaner. At least poo only spills over once in a while; thus making washing of nappies easier. I learnt this from helping my mom take care of baby bro and sis when they were young.

Am worried though that there will not be enough nappies to go around. Coz I remember when my mom had my sis and bro, we had a maid, mom was not working and I used to help her. So we can wash the nappies regularly throughout the day.

But in my case, if maid is alone with bb all day, she can only wash the nappies when I reach home in the evening. Wonder how many nappies to buy to last bb through the day.

Hi Kis, ya hor. I forgot abt the liner. In fact, I've a few pkts at home. My friend gave them to me. Same here, I'll check with my mom for her preference since she's helping me to take care of bb.

Hi soyabean, the advice that I got from the book is very troublesome one leh. I got to get 2 buckets to wash the cloth diapers, one for urine and one for poo poo. And sterilize means got to get sterilize solutions to sterilize the cloth diapers leh.

Hi priviledged, I feel the stretching too, esp after meals.

Hi Emily, maybe u can buy abt 2 dozens of cloth diapers?

hi emily, giggler, soyabean, kis and all,
i m new to this thread. great to read n share info with all of u as i also have many questions in mind.
my EDD is towards end Jul 04.
also worry a little about the "how's" of BF. read up and attending antenatal class. hoepfully it helps. few friends gave up. hope we can be of support to each other.
tend to have itch around nipple area nowadays, tried medela purelan cream, dosent really help, anybody has gd suggestion?
i also may prefer 100% disposable nappies at least for first few mths cos heard fr friends if use cloth nappies, can wash n chang until "peng sang" unless really got extra help. i think with the frequent feeds and waking up, shd be very xiong already right?

Priviledged,
Thks for the link. Think most of the daily food that we eat contain potassium and there is no need to eat certain food to get it.

Taringal,
Dun think will get a confinement lady. Its not cheap. And its difficult to get that person to stay in wif you for that one mth. You gotta prepare a room for her n tell the person where you put your stuffs, very troublesome. Also she might not be doing the things the way you like. Hence, since my MIL is helping me, I think I will not be getting one.

Hi ladies,
I'm back !!!!!! It's also a GIRL ! Everyone is so excited! Esp the female colleagues, everyone is already thinking of what to buy....

Sarsi,
Why do u need eat extra potassium? They are found in fruits and veges esp. bananas. If u take a balance diet, shld be ok.

Kis,
The lady at Spring, Joey is not the salegirl. She's the boss. She's my fren's sister. She designed the clothings herself, cos' she was quite upset wif the mat clothings on the market when she was preg. Found them too aunty.

To all ladies, (the chat was too fast, juz address to all.)

Breast pump- Was checking out the different brands too. Seems Medela was the most popular. But i am oso concern whether i shld get the automatic or manual kind. Feedback was automatic not very suitable if one's breast milk do not flow out easily. Will ended up very painful on the breast. Whereas, for the manual type, can express the milk at your own speed, but can be tiring. So now in dilemma, dunno whether to get it now. Eps, there are some on offers now.

Diapers- disposable or gauze. Preferably to use gauze, more airy and BB less likely to develop nappy rash. Can reserve disposable for night use. And if use gauze, muz definitely put liners. Easier to wash and to sterilize, doesn't mean muz boil it. Juz wash by hand the stain away and then put in washing machine and wash at 100c.

Confinement maid,
Muz be careful. My frens have approached some and they are very authoritative. Meaning u muz follow whatever they say. Like can't bath, muz eat certain food only etc.... If u are ok wif all these beliefs and willing to follow them, i suppose that is fine. But if u r a modern mum who believe in hygiene etc, may not turn out well. And usually they do not stay at your place (unless they are foreign,like from Malaysia). Otherwise they will usually go home at night.

Hey! I oso thinking of joining the antenatal classes in KKH. In fact, i have to join now. Anyone interested? Starts at 6.45pm, on weekdays, if KKH patient $110, otherwise $120. Fathers can come too.

B2B3M4,
Congrats on knowing your bb gender. So fast can join antenatal classes oready. I thot muz be at least 24 weeks? $110 is cheap? How many sessions does it have, how long each and what does it cover?

Joey from Spring is the boss ah. As much as i guess it. When I ask for disc, she say her uncle open one cannot give too much disc. But didnt believe it. So your fren can get us more disc or not? Hee.... prob all MTBs interested should go shopping for mat. clothes together yah.

Hi Sanrio, Welcome!!! I agree that it'll be very tedious if use cloth diapers. I'll let my mum decides since she'll be the one doing most of the work.
happy.gif

Hi Sarsi, same as u .... I won't be getting confinement maid cos it's ex and I still need to find space for her to sleep in. Troublesome.

Hi B2B3M4, I always forgot your nick.... Congrats!!! Seems like most of us having girls hor? Maybe it's a trend?

aiyoh....
u gals mkg me so excited leh... cos i hvnt know my bb gender yet... hehe...

b2b3m4...
great! a ger yeah?
happy.gif
can buy pretty mei mei dresses for ur ger liao.
i oso considering the antenatal class leh... but 645pm a bit rush for cos i KO at 6pm. then somemore my hubby's wkg hrs very irregular so dun think he will be able to join me in the sessions... like dat very "shao xing" one lor.

hi sanrio...
welcome!
happy.gif
yeah... bf'g not easy... but i will try my very best to persevere...
happy.gif

how come ur nipple area tend to itch? i dun experience dat... so cant reali help... did u check wif ur gynae on tis?

hi B2B3M4,
i signed up for the kkh class, starting tomorrow, 13/2. they recommend us to start at around 16wks. hope u can come, don't know still got vacancies?
hi soyabean,
i also dun know the gender yet, will do detailed scan end feb. so excited like u. as for my prob, will check with gynae, maybe because i alwy have sensitive skin.
hello all,
anyone seeing gynae at kkh? i find not bad lah but waiting time sometx vy long lor..
to the rest,
wah! few of u having bb girl, so sweet, can dress them up nicely..boy also can be real adorable, most impt our bb grow healthily right..

Hi Kris,

I think the normal price for medela automatic dual pump is around $300 quota by bf org.
Check this out :
http://www.breastfeeding.org.sg/shopping/nursingproducts.html
Mine is cheap coz it's imported and there's no warranty.

Hi Sarsi,
It's so nice that your MIL is going to take care of u and ur bb. I dun think i want my MIL to take care of me during confinement coz' her health not very good whereas my mom is working. so no choice have to engage a confinement lady.

Hi soyabean, I'm sure you'll know your bb's gender on 1 Mar then.

Hi sanrio, I also don't have itchy nipples leh. You're rite that boy/girl doesn't matter as long as they're healthy
happy.gif

Hi taringal, in that case it's best that u engaged a confinement lady. My friend engaged one and she really appreciated the help of the confinement nanny. That's why she kept encourage me to get one though my mom is helping out.

hi sanrio...
me seeing gynae at kk... yah... the wait can be horrendous at times... everything oso Q... but i hv grown used to it liao... who's ur gynae? i m seeing Joycelyn Wong.

Hi sanrio,
So u signed up for tomorrow's class! I still can't decide, bcos i too find the timing a bit too rush. They still have vancacies for tomorrow's class. i can't take the Saturday'c class either, cos' they have it only in the mornings and there r days i need to work. It is oso more costly.

Hmm.... itchy nipples. Not really, but my skin definitely more sensitive now(which is expected) and tend to itch here n there.

I have no problem wif the waiting time. I guess maybe i always have very early appt like 8.55am. I'm seeing Dr L C Lee. What abt you?

hi B2B3M4 n soyabean,
yup i going class 2mrow. i start work early n end early so shd b in tx to grab a quick bite then go class. but will be rush for hubby who works far from town. sats i can't too as i work on some sats. oso sign up for aqua-aerobic class in kkh, starting april. me tend to itch a little here n there too due to skin expanding. oso bf pregnant, already got sensitive skin type. the stretch mark cream n moisturiser does help.
i used to be small size so lots of stretching of the skin lor thou tummy still not too big n havnt even put on much weight. how abt u all?
my gynae is dr sheila loh, friend's recommendation. me too used to the wait but will try to get early appt then not too bad.

hi taringal,
i getting confinement lady. friend recommended. she fully booked until end jun 04. gd tat i called her earlier. if i deliver early, then must go find other help.

yes, agree we will try to perservere in bf. must share tips
happy.gif

Hi sanrio, looks like u are very active hor? Still take up aqua-aerobics. I kept thinking of going for a swim but till now haven step into the pool yet. Sigh.... lazy mummy here.

Soyabean, I also dun know the gender of my bb yet. Next appt is 28 Feb & gynae said can try to see. Very anxious to knw so that can start buying clothes for bb.

hi giggler,
yup quite active lah, do go gym, cycle n play badminton bf pregnant but not sportswoman. stop exercising since pregnant. now aches here n there so tot shd pick up exercise. i oso so lazy to jump to pool, no motivation. read abt the benefits of aqua-aerobic for pregnant mum. tot it shd b quite fun n exercise gd for mother n bb development so sign up for kkh one. outside quite ex i checked.
soyabean hello,
the class is popular. the coming one is apr which i going. class full as only 6 women per class. total 6 sessions, evy sat at 1.45pm at kkh small pool. cost is $150. i checked outside held at public pool abt $40++ per session. kkh may open another class if response overwhelming, u can call them n check: 63941268.
harlo sue,
me too vy anxious, will know the gender (hopefully) 24/2.

Hi sue, you still got to wait for another 2 weeks before you know bb's gender hor? Must tell bb to be co-operative to open legs and let u see leh.

Hi sanrio, that's quite cheap leh $150 for 6 sessions. I've tried aqua-aerobics before I preggie, I found it very "shiong" but fun.

Hi b2b3m4,
so that lady is the boss, she still v. friendly leh.

Hi Taringal, thanks for the info abt the pump...will do more research.

Hi Sanrio, I used to have a bit of itch ard breast area too, cos i think i use the stretch mark cream too sensitive for that area, and some pimples prop out. Now, its my tummy that's always itch. Mayb due to stretching. I think u r the most active mummy here...me too lazy to attend these courses.

Hi all, I have asked my mum, she says she will use both cloth and disposable nappies...Hmm, actually that's wat i intend to do so also.

Hi Kis, if u using cloth nappies then u got to buy nappy liners also lor. I think it's more cost effective to use cloth diapers. My tummy also quite itchy sometimes. I think it's due to stretching lah.

Hi gals, do u feel that our tummy like getting bigger day by day huh?

hi girls,

I'm new to this thread. My EDD is July20. My gynea said now I'm in wk16...

Similiarly,I can't fit into normal working clothing anymore. Haven't been to Spring but bought some mat dresses fr. Perfect Mum at Int'l Plaza...

Have anyone bought mat wear online before? Is it safe?

when'll we know the gender of our bb? my gynea still couldn't tell my bb gender during my last monday visit...

can anyone advise me what's diff between normal & detail scan?

Hi Kis,
I have the same itch problem too. Which brand of anti stretch cream r u using? I'm using Elancy right now and everytime i use, my whole body will itch, including areas where it is not applied. But there's no rash, so dunno whether it is due to the cream.

Hi avocado, I think most prob you'll get to know your bb's gender by your next appt if bb co-operates with you.
happy.gif
I didn't try online purchases before but I guess it shd be quite safe. I didn't do detail scan so can't comment.

Hi B2B3M4, I used the same anti stretch cream as u but I don't have this problem leh.

Hi, manage to see boi boi yest again. He has grown bigger liao. But my blood test results show that I'm aneamic so I'm on iron pills now. Gross, everyday gotta take 4 different pills... sianz...
My detail scan will be in 4 weeks time at week 22. But most of you here do it at week 20 right?

Toking abt antenatal classes, Sanrio, how many weeks are you now? Is it too early to go now? Raffles Hospital got one class tat starts on 16 Mar or 20 April. Dunno which one to go. If I go the earlier one, I will be 23 weeks then. If I attend the later one I will be 28 weeks. Scared attend too early, I will forget the things taught.

Avocado,
Normal scan cant really see baby features. Think the detailed scan will show more. In your detail scan the next visit should be able to see bb's gender.

hi kis, yup u may be right, i think cld b the stretchmark cream. i oso like got pimples pop out near breast area. did briefly mention to a female GP the other tx when i was sick. she said stretchmark cream uaully contain fragrance n a little oily. altho tested "hypoallergenic", some pple can get allergy. she suggested using "Cetaphil" moisturising cream - fragrance free n lanolin free, less oily too. can buy fr guardian. i didnt check it out. af cut down use of stretchmark cream near breast area, seem better. i using mustela, any other gd recommendation?
giggler, i have the same feeling as u. at first tummy like small n not obvious. "suddenly" when 2nd tri starts, each day like bigger. me oso felt lots of stretching n pulling on the tummy n surrounding area.
hi avocado,
my EDD 21/7. so close to yours. mine can't tell gender yet too, maybe end of this mth. normal scan they see more of the "overall" length, width of the bb and roughly the head, legs, hands. as for detail scan, gynae told me can see more details like the fingers n body structure. that's why can determine the gender loh. i think..

hi sarsi,
i 17 wks. kkh said can start ard 16 wks. the class starts today n will end only in may. there's break in btw the classes. i due in jul so tot shd b quite ok if classes end in may. the last few classes then they will teach abt labour, bf etc. hope i dun forget by jul.
hello all,
dun know whether got stretchmark cream that is fragrance free??

hi Sarsi,
same here, I'm taking 4 different pills as well:Multivit,iron,calcium & PTU(for thyroid)..Will u get very hungry after taking multivit?
blush.gif

i went for blood test last visit. My gynea said he'll only do detailed scan for me,6weeks later.

Hi Giggler,
My gynea said he'll tell the gender of my bb in next-next visit,which is abt 6weeks time..my gynea fr. Gleneagles..v experience but quite moody...so me & my hubby don't dare to ask him much Qs since we sense tat he's not in good mood
lame.gif

Hi sanrio,
I tried Cetaphil b4,as moisturizer for my legs & hands,i found it quite creamy & oily so I gave it to my hubby
lame.gif

same here,tummy grows so fast. The one pc sun dress which I bought 3weeks ago,cannot wear anymore.When I first bought dresses fr. isetan, I told my hubby tat these dresses can last me for few months so don't need to buy mat wears yet...The size which I bought is L-size,which I normally wear M...

i didn't apply any stretchmark cream. I believe this is genetics..

Hi Sarsi, how come u got to take so many pills in a day? My gynae only gave me multi-vit, that's all

Hi Sanrio, I realized that my tummy grows a lot since last week. Before it was not so obvious leh. Must take pix of ourself to see how we look while preggie.
happy.gif

Hi Sarsi,
How early to start the class really depends on the program. The KKH one touches on nutrition during preg, medications and looking after yourself. So, if start too late, may not be that beneficial. There is lapse after that for 3 weeks. Then it will start on labour n delivery, postnatal exercises, BF, care for newborn and parentcraft. From the class, it will aloow enuf time for us to buy and prepare the necessary stuff for the baby. There is oso a talk for dads too on "Nurturing Your Newborn".
Hey! I did my detailed scan at Week 19+. This scan is actually almost the same as the normal scan but it takes longer, close to half n hr. It will check on the BB's organ like the heart (muz have 4 chambers), kidneys, spine, brain, limbs etc. The radiographer mixed up my LMP date n commented that my BB is a bit small for this time. Luckily BB lines exactly on the 2nd percentile, meaning its not too big nor small.

Hi b2b3m4, I'm using the same cream as u n giggler. But its only sensitive to breast area. Its only just lately tat my tummy area itchy. But same as u, no rashes leh.

Hi Sanrio, think both of us have more sensitive skin, better stop applying the cream near breast area.

Hi giggler, I always like to measure my tummy, these few days have increase another half inch...was so happy.

Hi Hi, wow! congrats B2B3M4 on bb girl. Me can't wait for detailed scan too which will be on 21/2 (next week).

Am interested in your anatenatal classes too lah but I don't know if Gleneagles have that too. Hmm... must find out.
Sarsi, I am anemic too. But don't worry... it is common for pregnant moms.
Wow, if we all go shopping together, it will be quite a sight! heheee...
happy.gif

Hey! Maybe we should meet up sometime for dinner or something like that to compare tummies and u/s pics.
happy.gif

Sanrio,
The antenatal class at Raffles is only for 5 sessions. How many sessions does KKH have? It runs consequetively for 5 weeks on every tues. So dunno should I go when I'm 23 or 28th weeks....humm....mine cost $176.40 plus GST. Quite ex hor.

Giggler,
I'm taking pramilet, Calcium, Iron n Neurogain. So got 4 lor. Take so many a day like sick person like tat.

Emily,
If we all meet together, it will really be a sight esp if it we meet in a few months time when our tummies get bigger.

hi sarsi,
kkh antenatal class total 9 sessions + 1 talk. shd b quite comprehensive. non kkh patient can oso join, i think $10/$20 more, at $120 if i'm not wrong. raffles seems quite ex but i dun know any raffles patient so can't comment much. when to go ah? can check with raffles what is their norm for such class.
oh, i oso only take obimin-multivit n folic acid. i dun really like milk n gynae said eat balance diet n some soya shd b sufficient.
hi giggler n kis,
ya loh mus take some pict of the growing tummy n i will start measuring it, sounds interesting
happy.gif

dear emily n rest,
yup will b nice if we do have a chance to mt each other
happy.gif

Hi Kis, so what's your measurement of your tummy now? Maybe I go home and measure tonite and we can have a small competition here.
happy.gif

Hi avocado, who's your gynae at GlenE? I'm seeing gynae at GlenE too. But my gynae very jovial one, he always like to say light-hearted things so that we not so kan-cheong abt bb.
happy.gif

Hi Emily, I agree leh. We shd meet up for dinner and compare our tummy hor.. GlenE have ante-natal class but I think can only attend 2 mths before delivery.

Hi Sarsi, my gynae only prescribed Pramilet. I asked for Neurogain as my friend recommended but he said don't need to take that.

Hi gals, maybe we measure our tummy tonite and have a competition to see whose tummy is the champion lah?

Back