(2004/02) February Babes

ruffy
taking care of 2 super active boys is tough. even one can be quite handful already. good that u still intend to try one more kid so still have chance to get girl.

Gisele
i also stopping at 2 as dun want to have more. pregnancy not easy esp i keep having giddy spells. It is so heart warming to know Jay took good care of his bro. like that u can sit back and relax a bit while he helps to take care of bb bro.
is the nursing pillow useful if directly latch on? i dun mind having it is can really help to lessen the load of latching bb. also not sure will no. 2 latch on as well as no. 1 or not. jon till now still says he wants to drink my breastmilk though he has stopped breastfeeding for abt 2 yrs already. he said he miss brs.

Hi mummies,
Gisele,
Roy is currently 16mths.

Mini,
I don't use a nursing pillow. Roy is still on BF(direct latching).. btw if you need to borrow any manual/electric pump let me know..
happy.gif

Mini
Not sure is the nursing pillow useful or not as I only manage to use it once. Only Ruffy and Van can advise you. Actually the lactation told me that is not necessary but I still go ahead to buy it in preparation for breastfeeding
happy.gif

I can pass it to you end May. Let me know when you're coming to collect it.

Gisele
Thanks for the nursing pillow. end May is good as now work is busy like hell since exams period coming. contact u again when nearer to it.

Van
I would like to meet up with you in Jul
happy.gif
I can make it on weekday when baby is with Aunty.

Mini
Sure, pls let me know nearer to the date.

Gisele,
thanks for Baby James pix. he looks alot like Jay!
happy.gif

ruffy_happy & Gisele,
sure! and tis time round we'll stay for 1 mth, so definately have the chance to meet up
happy.gif
will see if rest of the mummies available to meet up too.

can sit here any further with the drama, cranky, clingy meimei in the sling with her 1st tooth cutting *sayang sayang*...

Hi mommies here.

It's been a long time since I last wrote. Pardon me for not writing.

My dad was ill with cancer from July 07 and I had been caring for him, accompanying him to the hospital and spending as much time as possible I could with him. He passed away at home on 19 March, just last month... Till now, we are still feeling the pain and loss. I was very close to him.

In the meantime, my gals have been growing up fast. Both are happy in sch and D is learning to be less shy. Both are tall and thin, esp S.

Hi. Thanks.
happy.gif

Gisele,
Congrats on becoming mummy to two.
happy.gif

Vanessa,
I dunno why I kept forgetting the password to your fotopic... I tried what I can recall, DEH! all wrong. can email me again? Thanks.
happy.gif

Shim
Moving to bigger floor area
happy.gif

Pink
Any pic of your girls pls
happy.gif

Linda
Would like to ask you regarding mc if you dont mind. I have a good fren who has 2 mc is a short period of time and she would very much wanted to have no 2. Can I know after DC, did you see any TCM? How long did you rest before trying again? Thanks

Hi pink
Looking great? Hmm... only when I bothered to I guess. This round more tiring. Any pics of the girls to share?

Shimmrs
huh? Why the move?

hi gisele
I had 1 MC prior to tory. Within a mth, I conceive tory. Subsequently, I had a M/C in April 07, I conceived in Aug 07. In all, i didnt see any TCM as medically, i see it as a way of quality control. Most likely was unhealthy egg meets with unhealthy sperms. My gynae was also not in favour of tests esp when I already had tory.

Your fren might wish to see TCM to boost her health. but I dunno how much it works.

Hello mummies,
Sorry to interrupt. I have 2 boys of preschool age and want to send them to school. May I find out from you what are the important factors that you all consider when choosing a preschool?

Hi mummies
How's everyone? Busy?
I cant wait to pop. haha, but enjoying baby's movements here.

Can I just be KPO? Anyone using any birth control in terms of pills or IUDs or implants? Me was thinking of ligation, but hubby says what if we decide to have a 3rd? Although that is not likely, given the age gap I would have for my kids, but hey! That thought kind of spur me on!! haha... So would appreciate any info.

Hi gisele
No mention.
happy.gif

Hi chihuahua
You mean as in Nursery? For me, first is location. I wouldnt wish my child to travel too far. Second is feedback from others regarding teachers. I like schools which provide a loving environment, which I believe will encourage children to learn.

halo mommies!
now i feel tat i'm a typical SAHM - have been busy in n out but when think back i also dunno wat i've been busy with hahahaha... time juz zoom by everyday!

Linda,
i am very into the idea of close factory but my dear ah lao still having tots of his "what ifs". i know my remaining stamina for taking of the kids and to continue with the comfort living of our family with the single income i feel tat we cant afford to have #3. also our dear #1 gorgor claimed he doesnt want anymore didi or meimei, except for his Sweetie S meimei
happy.gif

and is very against the idea of me taking pills or having foreign object in me. so when the gynae asked abt birth control, typical american style which they always talk abt tis issue at the 6 weeks check aft delivery, i juz told her we'll let nature (of cos i'll do the calculation :p) and so far my ah lao agrees tat shld he finally decided to stop at #2, he'll be the one doing the day surgery instead of me. dunno when tat will happen!
happy.gif

Linda
Same as Van, I didnt do ligation or taking pills. Hubby was toying with the idea of #3. But now after taking care of bb for the past 7 weeks. He has changed his mind and agreed that two is enough
happy.gif

Ruffy
You look great on YP. Article is abit small to read though. Will get a copy to read later.

hihi... have not post for a while too
happy.gif

re: contraception
- though hb and i also quite firm close factory but we did not really go for ligation. same same -> what if????? i'm using the IUS-Mirena now.
erm.. i think besides cut and tie, i think also got CLIP instead right?

re: reading
- may i know how many of your 4yo kids here can read INDEPENDTLY without prompting?
my son can guess the words. how did you mommies teach them how to read? i've yet to teach my son phonics but the cc does...

Hi Mummies,
How was your weekend.

Gisele,
thanks.. yeah..hard to see coz I just scan in the article.

Wendy,
My boy is reading independently..but depends on the difficulty of the book also.. and sometimes there are some words that he hasn't read before.. or are more complex.
I have written a few articles on how to teach your child to read on my blog. www.dominiquegoh.com
I use a combination of online/offline phonics and readers to teach him

ruffy_happy,
i've also asked my hb's colleague to grab me a copy of YP mag at the airport since she'll be coming over tis evening
happy.gif

Hi mommies
how is everyone? not much energy left for this semester though.. now doing exams marking n cant wait for jun hols to come!

want to seek your opinion... do u think i should travel to US during jun hols? by then i will be start of 31wks n when i return will be start of 33wks. gynae told me travel by 32 wks is ok so i think start of 33wks should be ok too. SQ say as long as have gynae's letter they are willing to let me travel even slightly exceeded 32wks. hubby went US to work since mid Feb. by right his attachment there should be till sept or so. but many changes n his stay there is till end dec. at first he asked me to go over till dec there but i have problem with HR side regarding my paid maternity leave if i go over. I feel v lugi if i cant get the paid maternity leave. also if i go over there i m not sure if i can take care of jon and no. 2 alone or not? also jon's education will be a problem too. somemore who knows hubby co will have last min changes. so thinking better i stay here to give birth n he come back often to accompany us. So now i m thinking of going to US for 2 wks during jun hols. Mummies, what do u think? hoping to go as can shop there and can have a getaway jun hols.

linda
i also think abt contraceptive method. a colleague of mine who is abt mid 40s just went for ligation. the reason becoz she conceived accidentally after stopping for so many yrs. she already have 4 kids n her elder one already 17yrs old and her youngest one in upper Pri. the fetus has problem so she underwent D&C and at the same time did ligation. i also dun want to give birth anymore but afraid will it be a too rush decision to do ligation since we are considered still young. thinking of trying IUD but my ex-colleague told me the insertion and taking out is v painful and make me hesitant abt it.

ruffy,
read the article at YP. thanks for sending it to me
happy.gif
the 3 of u look great in the photo
happy.gif

hahaha
Judging by what most husbands' responses are, can i guess that men are mostly avoiders of issue? hahaha... by saying "maybe we want a 3rd", they can avoid the issue first hor?

Why the thought of ligation since there is so many reversible methods available was the thought my hubby also have. But to me, if we decide on 2, then why waste time and money on such reversible ways? Hmm... And honestly, other than natural planning (counting days and such) ligation seemed to be the only choice if I have no wish for anything foreign or hormonal.

Still thinking...

Hi ruffy
Read the article.
happy.gif
Will also read thru your blog for phonic ideas!!!

Hi Wendy
My girl cannot read. More my fault than hers though. She is expressing interest in phonics and I have been putting off finding a class for her. Sigh...

Hi gisele
Busy yeah? Me also in the midst of dreading and waiting for the baby's arrival. haha... got to start all over again.
Any new pics to share?

Hi Mini
It will be good to have a holiday provided you have enough rest there. Also check out what to expect should you deliver there (touch wood!!).

mini,
would be good to have a break b4 u start to get busy with the new baby. as wat Linda mentioned, u shld find out the procedures shld u deliver there. not to get u anxious u but most of my friends with subsequent pregnancies started dilating as early as week 32 (incl myself at week 35). tho its common for tat and no signs of real labour until closer to EDD but u'll never know.

mummies,
talk abt reading, A hasnt been picking up his books, yes his bookshelf is well covered by a layer of dust :p and juz tis aftn he surprised me by reading loud. not fluent reading but word by word on his own. phonics is a great with reading especially the new words.

ruffy - thks for the link! btw, can share your article with me? [email protected]

linda - i think they r not avoiding the issue, just wanna keep it open. cos u never know what might happen in the future... fyi, my elder bro and my younger sis age gap is 16yrs... and she is PLANNED de lor...

mini - it i think it shd be fine to travel as long as your OB assess your condn. and also, 2nd time preggy the cervix shd be competent enough to carry bb to full term... my 2nd kid almost 'overdue'. hee...

to all the others MTBs-again - enjoy the rest of your pregnancies. i missed the feeling BUT i'm not gg thru it again!

re: reading
- just got the leap frog dvd... see hw my kids take to it. hm....

Hi mommies
thanks for responding.. think i wait till next wk gynae visit n hear what gynae says. having mixed feelings n have some worries too esp when parents n siblings are not supportive. think once i have made the decision i will just follow it n then prevent myself from thinking of the negative consequences. will have to act accordingly if sth usual happen.

Van
Did you teach Avos phonics? I am thinking of signing up Jay for phonics classes as he has not been able to recognise much words. Unlike Chinese where he can read and write very well. I have been keeping him at aunty's place these few days and next week as his preschool has 2 children down with HFMD. Quite worried he will get it and bring the virus home.

mommies
I'm so tired looking after bb James. He has not been sleeping much in the day and wanted to be carried most of the time. I've sleepless nites and lost my appetite since the confinement lady left 2 weeks ago. Dont know how long can I 'tahan' this. I have been waking up every nite at 3am and simply waiting for 6am to do the first pump. Lunch has been ordering Mac Delivery. Haii...hubby called me a weakling
sad.gif

Ruffy/Van/Pink - can you tell me how can you cope with 2 and with no helper.

hi Gisele
you are not a weakling! from your description James is an active bb n not so easy to take care compared to some other bbs. dun lose heart as u have been doing well. I also cant handle bb alone esp the fact tat hubby is those din really help much. when having jon he din even help out for a single night feed. so i have to depend on maid or MIL or my mum. is ur hubby v busy with work? does he help out a lot? think for van, ruffy n pink their hubby helped out quite a lot even in the middle of night. Have u consider having a helper such as maid so tat she can help take care bb a bit n most importantly help in household chores and cooking? like tat u have lesser things to worry abt n just need to focus on taking care of bb James. must take good care of yourself ok?

gisele

hi. dun be disheartened and upset.
happy.gif

Some suggestions:
Set a routine for baby. Time to bathe, followed by milk feed, then morning nap etc. once there is a routine, baby knows what's next and settles down more easily. I am not sure what's your style but I think Van and I do not carry baby to sleep. I always made sure they were comfortable, dry, clean and fed before their naps/sleep, and I would tell them it's bedtime time when I was going to put them in the cot, then I would calmly and confidently leave the room. I even closed the door, leaving a small gap (so that outside noise won't wake them prematurely!!). At first, baby may cry or whimper... persist and be very calm about it. After a while, baby will "get the msg" and learn to fall asleep independently.

Why you wake at 3am? Baby cries at that time? Or you just wake up and cannot fall asleep again? I guess it's postnatal, and hormonal levels are still not back to normal, so will experience mood swings, depression, fatigue, sleeplessness or irritability. Go easy on yourself. Ask for help when you need. Talk to close friends. Come here and share etc.

As for lunch, I ate simply. I usu steamed fish as fish also helps in the milk supply when one is bfg. Nutritious also. Easy to prepare and does not make the whole kitchen or stove greasy. I will eat better/fuller at dinner. In between, have snacks/milk/milo - bfg makes one hungry often! When you are more at ease with bringing James out, can sling him or use a stroller, take a walk outside and buy lunch for yourself.

Sorry I can't give you advice on sleepless nights cos I felt I did not sleep enough instead! I breastfed, so my hb did not have to wake up for night feeds. I trained the baby to sleep through the night, so by about 2 or 3 months, I did not have to wake for night feeds till it was early morning. When Sarah woke in the middle of night, I would give her her pacifier. As Dorcas sucked her thumb, I would stretch my hand into the cot (that was next to my bed) to pat pat her, assure her, and mutter "sleep...sleep... it is night time..." :p

Must try to sleep when baby sleeps in the day ya? Esp since you can't sleep much at night.

Hope this helps. You will cope better...plan out the routine. Feeds should be about 2.5-3hourly now. When he is up, can place him in a bouncer or baby gym where you are around so that you are within his sight, yet you can do your things (so you dun have to carry him all the time when he is awake).

Do ASK for hubby's help when you need. Help can be of any form.
happy.gif

Take care!

Gisele,
Don't stress out. Getting adjusted to a new member in the family is never easy. For me.. since the boys were born..can never get 1 full night of sleep..even now get waken up at least 2-3 times a night.
Roy still wakes for night feed s
Well... when younger..ryan goes to school..so basically coping with one only during the day..

My schedule
7am wake up settle Ryan
7.30 school bus.. send ryan down.nowadays hb send so i dun need to go down with him.
take roy to market after morning bath. buy groceries..come back.. feed breakfast.. do some e-mails, play with roy.. cook simple lunch. + laundry + cleaning
when he sleep- my break on interent- blog, newsletter, Forex trading, e-book writing etc.
4pm- prepare for dinner - cook dinner 2 dishes + 1 soup
6pm ryan come back...feed kids
bathe them.
do practice the piano with them.. clean up etc etc
10-11pm put them to bed..
11-12am check Forex..do my own stuff online.

between 12-3am..ryan may wake me up to switch on toilet light..abt same time roy also for night feed.

so the suggestion.. to get sleep as and when you can during the day also.. coz at night u may not be able to sleep
POWER Nap.. will work for you.

Gisele,
re phonics - i didnt intentionally teach or send A for any phonics class. from wat i know, his class tr is practicing with them on a daily basis. from putting the letter together to form words and tat leads to simple spelling.

care for 2 - like wat ruffy & pink said, setting a routine and getting used to it will take awhile. once u get the hang of it, things will find it much easier.

i really peifu mummies giving total ebm cos its really very tiring with doing the double work of express then feed. for me i'm even too lazy to express unless i feel uncomfortable with the fullness. always juz latch n i continue "snoozing" until i sudden discover baby unlatched n dozed off :p

i was really tired n burned out with Baby A cos he was 1 who nursed every hourly in the day n 2 hourly in the nite. i was very very sleep deprived then and with few episodes of mastitis
sad.gif
i was on the verge of giving up bfg. i tbf both the buns so hb cant really help me much except fetching things ard the house, moreover my hb was (and started again aft we moved to shg) a frequent traveller due to work, he cant really help much.

thank God tat meimei was easier to care for using NB days. she was one who feeds, poo, sleep. she'll drift off to sleep on her own and she slept thru the nite (6-8 hours, longest 11 hours straight) from 6 weeks old, without any training. but sad n tired to say couple of weeks ago aft she caught the cold bug from gorgor, she stopped sleeping thru and i suspect teething also 1 reason for her to make her scream middle of the nite. daddy now outstationed again and i'm feeling so tired with her 1-2 hourly waking started 3 nites ago
sad.gif
i cant bear to let her cry when she was sick so still slinging her ard the house and i continue my daily chores when she was sick. i knew she was uncomfortable cos i chose to let her body built up the immunity, no drugs given. tat was tough but i really dun wish to give them medication unless there's a real need. probably my "giving in" has made her so clingy towards me.

sorry tat i cant advise u well on how to handle your situation cos i'm also struggling on my end. generally setting a routine did work for me in the beginning but with my hb's travelling and gorgor school's parent involvement days i juz have to disrupt our routine from time to time. and to me i have to lug meimei in the sling wherever i go, she simply becomes part of me tat i call her my shadow
happy.gif
during days when i feel really upset, i juz have to take a walk ard the compound. the buns happy with the outdoor simulations, mummy happy with some social chats. and of cos tis thread is always a great place for me to vent the air
happy.gif
pai seh, too loh soh :p

hi Mini, Pink, Ruffy, Van
Thanks very much for your encouragement and suggestions. I really draw strength from all of you. I feel so ashamed of myself after reading what you girls did for your kids and family. You're such a superb mum
happy.gif

Hubby has been a great help. He does all the nite feed as he know that I'm totally burn out in the day. He was really angry with me these days as I keep grumbling to him that we should have stop at 1
sad.gif

Anyway, we're looking for a maid now as per my aunty's request. She is not able to cope with 2 though Jay only go to her place at 5pm. Hopefully when the maid comes, I will not have different kind of stress.

Pink, how do you train bb to sleep through the nite. Does pacifier help? In the day, James will cry terribly loud if not carried and rock to sleep. You mean you just let the baby cry and ignore her totally?

I woke up at 3am because that is where hubby feed the baby. I will not be able to sleep after that and keep looking at the time and count how many hours to go before 6am. Keep telling myself to go back to sleep but cant. Mind is so awake..thinking of this and that.

Ruffy, after a long day you're still so engaged with your own stuff. My whole day is simply like attending to baby's need and cannot do anything else. Dont even have the energy to cook. Luckily I can go without lunch at times so is still not so bad. I have full dinner everyday though, prepared by my aunty. Hubby will take from her while fetching Jay home from her place.

Van, your hubby travel so often, it must have been tough to handle 2 kids alone. I can never ever able to do that to be honest.

Is it ok to let bb to do without medi when they have flu? Will the condition get better without medi? I'm the paranoid type, will give medi at the first sight of flu/cough. I will try your method on James. Quite logical that they should build up their own immunity for minor illness. Thanks.

Mini, you can collect the nursing pillow from me anytime. I bought a pink one, just nice for your princess
happy.gif

Anyway, thanks all for giving me the chance to pour out my woes. I'm feeling alot better now
happy.gif

Happy Mother's Day to all!!!!

Gisele,
i must say tat u're doing a great job giving ebm to Baby James. can sense your perseverance. jia you!
happy.gif
do rest whenever possible, even if u cant sleep, lying down n close your eyes shld help too. take a walk downstairs if u feel tat u need a breather.

re medi - S had very bad runny nose but only mild fever - highest 37.8, so i juz sponge her more frequent to cool her body temp off. read somewhere tat mild fever is good, as it's showing the body is working/fighting against the viral. 1st nite she fell sick, she woke up every 30mins middle of the nite, rubbing her nose n fussed. next morning did online search for different types of methods tat i can help her to relief the discomfort as well as prevention from getting any ear, sinus or chest infection. i have the saline nose drop in our medi cabinet as standby, so used tat couple of time thruout the day when i hear her breathing thru mouth (signs of blocked nose). created a steamroom when i bath her, clapped her chest n back to loosen up her mucus/phelgm in case it gets into the chest. bought her the pigeon nasal "sucking" thingy as per recommended by my friends, clear her mucus whenever i see them flowing out. applied baby vicks on her chest b4 bedtime n switched the kids' room humidifer to the warm air mode, helped her to sleep thru the nite. of cos frequent nursing n giving some water too. call me a kua zhang / ks mummy but as long there's a chance not to give medi i will try the methods tat is within my means. tat probably did took her longer for her mucus to totally clear out, ard 10 days. thruout her runny nose period, her mucus was clear, colourless. so i tot tat there's no signs of any infection n no reason to bring her to the dr. it was a relief for me when i brought her for her 6M jab last monday, dr confirmed her ENT all clear *phew*

anyway in any situation mummy knows best. if baby fusses very badly, disrupting the baby's feed or sleep, it could be better to feed the medicine for relief.

hehehehe... very loh soh today :p i have lots to complain aft being "ditched" alone with the buns during our not so lucky days in shg. and to add on the flame, i was "granted" to spend mother's day just me n my kids... sigh...

enuff of those, dun want to spoil rest of your mood. Happy Mother's Day, Mummies!

Van
You make me laugh when I read that you're 'granted' to spend mother's day with kids alone..heee...

My hubby has to work tomorrow too. But I'm not as 'brave' as you, already SOS my sis to come over to help :p

You're very perseverance too. Spent so much effort to avoid giving S medi. Thumps up to you Van
happy.gif

hi mommies
Happy Mothers' Day!
Regarding US trip do u all think better to go this jun for 2 wks before bb pop or should i go in mid nov till end dec (5wks) with bb? at first thinking bb might be too young to travel in mid nov since only 3.5mths but i think should be ok for her to travel too. seem like yr end better since can have longer stay there. do u think 3.5mths it is not advisable to bring bb oversea at 3.5mths?

Pink
i have the same qn as Gisele about letting baby cry hard n ignore the cry. you just let bb cry even if bb cry for say more than 15min? your tips have been v useful n i hope can implement it on no. 2. no. 1 was totally v terrible esp my MIL v kapo came everyday n wanted her ways. so end up make jon even harder to take care. this time quite glad she will be busy taking care of BIL bb so hope she wont be so free to keep coming to my house.

Gisele
you are a light sleeper right? i am so i m those who will have difficulty falling back to sleep when i wake up in middle of night. just try to find time to rest as much as possible in the day. think we are also those too soft hearted n inexperience kind will go attend to bb when they cry or fuss. lets learn from some mummies here n they see can adopt their useful suggestions or not.
happy.gif

hubby came back from US ytr n will stay here till early jun. will go collect one of these days. will pm u for your address. thanks a lot!

mini,
from wat i experienced its much easier to travel with a young baby than a toddler/child. 3.5M shld be easy, still sleeps quite alot. moreover i believe u'll tbf again right?
happy.gif
guess the only problem is abt the time diff n jetlag, but 5 weeks shld be more than enuff for u to get adjusted and enjoy the place b4 flying home. 2 weeks could be a little too rushing to travel and get adjusted to the time zone. Jon will be going along? if yes, i would find a 5 weeks trip would be more practical.

S had her 1st flight at 3M old back to sg. everything was fine, she nursed n slept almost thruout the entire journey from home to home. we flew within the same time zone tho. i brought the sling onboard with me so it was useful for comfort, instead of getting tired arms especially when she had a little blocked nose due to the dry air. tho in the same time zone n its only a 5hrs flight.

other issues to consider, which part of US will u be going? is it safe for u to be out with 2 kids alone? will u be able to manage? wat your hb's opinion?

Gisele,
thanks for your encouragement. i'm struggling from time to time too. tireness wears my patience. u'll soon feel the contentment and glad tat Jay has a sibling. the laughter in the home is different from then
happy.gif

gisele

i dun ignore baby totally and let her cry. Have to make sure all her needs are met, basically, know that baby is not crying cos she is hungry/sick/wet/etc. so I will not succumb to the kind of cries from baby who is asking to be rocked to sleep. But I will tell baby as-a-matter-of-factly that she is going to nap, calmly put her down and leave the room (will hide just outside of the door to try to hear if she cries... haa) . If she whimpers a little, I will ignore. If she cries a lot a first, I will go in again, assure and pat, and repeat the same (just won't give in to carry her up and rock her to sleep again). I guess the baby will take a few times to get the message. It is just like weaning off the pacifier : the first day, wail more, then slowly over the next few days, the cries tapers off. The key is parent must be confident and not give in at the first cries. My MIL was amazed when she visited and saw that I had trained S to fall asleep herself in the cot and we could leave the room. She was the kind who would rock the baby to sleep. But it is very tiring if one is the main caregiver with no other helper in the house. When MIL started taking care of other grandkids, she tried to do what I did and she indeed felt it relieved her more (taking care of one and taking care of a few is very different - you dun have the luxury of carrying the baby all the time). There are several books that I read, one of which is Babywise. heard that it is quite controversial. I read it and found most of it helpful, so I adopted it, with modifications and flexibility here and there. S was and IS more wakeful, so it was harder to get her to nap... and did not nap long. Got to go into the room a few times till she got the msg kind. Crying a bit is ok. Though she was more wakeful, I did the same nevertheless. I believe the caregiver can differentiate the different kinds of cries.D is easier. Put down, no cries, falls asleep, sleeps a longer duration.

when I was a first-time mum, I resisted mum's suggestion to give S the pacifier. S could not fall asleep that easily. Finally, I gave in. And she, after sucking it for a while, would fall asleep. And soon after, the pacifier would fall out of her mouth. So it was pretty harmless. It aided her to fall asleep, and it made falling asleep again in the middle of the night easier too! I weaned her off the tutu at 18 months. But during those 18 months, I only gave it to her when it was supposed to be sleep time. Free play time, I did not give it to her. Second time round, I got the pacifier ready for D! Heh... she did not like the pacifier. Preferred her thumb. Instinctively, the thumb would go in when she was tired. I weaned her off it too after 1 year old. So if you ask me, I will say they need either one to fall asleep better... though there are some kids who need neither too.

Have a fren whose baby was borm prematurely and stayed in the hospital for quite a while. When baby returns home, also did not cry to be carried and rocked. Cos in the hospital setting, the nurses would not do that I guess. So i think baby can be "trained". However, that does not mean we don't cuddle and carry baby. We still do! Just not rocking them to sleep (no time to do that if we have other kids around). Think they will sleep longer too. Cos for rocking, once they feel the rocking has stopped, they wake again, crying to be rocked back to sleep.

Just my two cents... I believe even when we share, you also have to adapt before adopting any method cos we are all of different personalities and so are our babies.
happy.gif
you will get to know your baby better, understand his "pattern" and settle him more easily in time to come.
happy.gif
JIA YOU!

Mini
You does not accept PM as well. Pls can you email me at [email protected] so I could send you my contacts.

Sorry, I can't advise you on travel. You know lah, I cannot handle baby very well so I'm sure to ask you to go for 2 weeks hol :p

Van
Ya, i'm sure its good to have a sibling. but just that the tiredness overweigh everything now. I will always rem all the amazing mummies here when i grumble again
happy.gif

Pink
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us. It's very useful. I am determined to try your method starting tomorrow. Don't worry about me, I will try my best and get the naughty James trained. Thanks
happy.gif

HI gisele

Please do not say that. Just sharing what worked for me and hope it will work for you
happy.gif
Actually, would your aunt (nanny?) be able to advise you too? Some of these older folks can be very experienced and good at 'training' kids. Once, my dad's fren's wife who works as a babysitter visited us at our home. She 'imparted' some potty training skills/experience to me. haha... what she shared sort of worked. Hmm... basically, it's about letting the child be more independent, not be too "soft-hearted" when the child cries or makes mistakes...

Take care and do eat well, esp during this post-natal period. May you get accustomed to new responsibilities and get to sleep more. I am sure baby James will bring you much joy and sweetness.

Hi Van
wow i admired u for bring S on flight when she was 3mths old. so 3.5mths is ok. yar planned to tbf this time again. thanks for the assurance n 5wks definitely better than 2wks esp have to adjust to jet lag. in fact hubby was saying mayb i take no pay leave in jan then can go there n come back tog with him. he is staying in Richmond in VA. but if i go there most likely daytime just stay home with the kids. think he can take 2wks leave then can travel to other parts of US. mayb also will ask my parents if they want to follow too then they can help out too.

pink
thanks for sharing the tips.. its v useful. i bot the babywise book then but i din really carry it out as not sure useful and i dun have much support then. hubby dun help out much n only listened to MIL. i being inexperienced n dun dare to say in front of her so just let her have her way.

Gisele
will email after my this post. just come into the forum to pour out your unhappiness... after voicing out usu feel better
happy.gif

mini

hi. now is a good time to read the babywise book you have! my friend also started reading it a few weeks before delivery.

take care!
happy.gif

hi all mummies

Gisele

How are you this week?

Mummies

I bought this
1423086.jpg
for my mum for Mother's Day. Then my hubby commented, "Hey, PINK tulips..." "Oh ya hor.." I replied.
I had bought the flowers without thinking they are my nick. So we do subconsciously choose our favourites... :p

hi Pink
Very nice tulips you got for your mum
happy.gif

How did you celebrate Mother's day with your girls and hubby? Not sure why but I always rem the mother's day banner your hubby did for you previously
happy.gif

Jay has plugged some flowers from the public garden for me. I was really touched as he was not the sentimental kind. He has been very sweet lately. Yesterday when he saw me feeding his bro, he automatically pass me a pillow for my back support. Hopefully he will stay this way forever.

Thanks for your concern. I'm still struggling with James. He has improved abit. I realised that when he is very tired, he does not need to be carried or rock to sleep. So yes, sometimes he still need to be rocked and sometimes not. Your method do work if I give him the pacifier. But I felt kind of guilty to see him suck pacifier so I'm still in dilemma.

Btw, it is really nice to see you active in the forum again
happy.gif

How is Sarah and Dorcas? Sarah's P1 registration is this year rite? Are you excited?

Back