18 month refused to eat at childcare, is this expected?

mummycal

Hi mommies,

My daughter just turned 18mth and started childcare last week. She has been refusing all breakfast and lunch at the centre, kinda worry that she goes with empty stomach for whole morning. Is this to be expected due to new environment, new people etc? How long does this usually go on? I tried to give milk at home (7.30-8.00am) but no luck as well, cause she usually drank her milk around 9-9.30am.

Is 18mth a little too young to go childcare? Even fruit like apple, a little crunchy, she just bite to small pieces and spit it out. So I have to grate it. Most of her foods, I still cut into very tiny pieces. There's no such privilege in childcare, so again will this be a concern?

She was supposed to go on full day, but seeing her not eating anything everyday....

Hope some mommies can share your experiences and advice.

Hi,

I understand your worries. U r worried that your little one go hungry at her child care.

I am a preschool teacher trained for pre nursery and nursery classes.

My experience with little ones like yours r fairly common. Each little one is an individual so they will settle in at their own individual rates.

Ur little one is still adjusting to her environment, the teachers, her new friends and prolly new schedule and she needs time to adjust to her food.

Everything is new n different so she may also adopt measures to rebel against her new environment.

I would like to share strategies with you and ur little one. Have at least one snack box filled with healthy snacks in her bag n let her know that if she is hungry, she can eat them. Also, let her teachers know that she has snack in her bag n allow her to eat them, so she can settle in. Most importantly, do not spoon feed her. Let her feed herself so u know that she is hungry n instinctively, she will look for her food. If she doesn't want to eat during snack or lunch, don't give her alternatives besides her snack box.

Let me know via email [email protected] of any concerns. I would try to share other strategies with u.

Hope these suggestions help.

Su

Hi all and thanks Su for the advice!

I'm starting my daughter in childcare this coming June and I am nervous as well since she has yet to start talking and not learnt to feed herself. Very worried that she will not be able to adjust to the new arrangement.

Hi Su,

I'm really grateful to your advice, every suggestion counts. I'll definitely try to carry out your advice, hope she will improve over time.
I've also dropped you a long email (hope you don't mind).

Hi jolly_beanie,
From what I saw, at least the teachers would help to feed them before they can feed themselves. Otherwise the children would make a mess (most food on the floor) and didn't eat much.
I'm putting her on half day now to try out till end of the month (well I heard some children took few months to adjust). I can update you if she adjusts well, hope it will ease up your worry.
I think we mommies are the one who cannot adjust to this new arrangement :p

Back