14mth old gets 5 stitches after fall in daycare

momxuan

Dear parents
Want to find out if there are parents whose infant falls at day care and ends up with 5 stitches? We are notably upset but want to see what other parents had done or had reacted to such a situation. It's heartbreaking to see him scream before n during stitching as nurses had to pin him to prevent him from moving since it's dangerous. And to know that the bleeding altho not gushing but it continued to ooze for an hour. Really heart pain. Please share your experiences.

doesn't look like there's any infant having to stitch up at 14 months old. He's still walking like a drunken master and looks very subdued after the incident. At night he keeps waking up for comfort... damn painful.
stitches.JPG

so sorry to hear that...

did the center explain to u what happened? I mean a fall dat requires stitches.... It's quite a fall and if he is at the center, which shld b "child - safe", how did your boy ended up wif a nasty cut?

Speedy recovery for your boy

it's puzzling right. it's an infant care centre, it should be proofed to a certain extent. i can understand falling, and knocking and bruising. but to split open from a fall, it would have to be sharp. the teacher explained that he fell and knocked the edge of the door while walking around during feeding time. apparently he was waiting to be given lunch. and i can understand if the teacher just had her back on him for a split second. but that door (now they are fixing it). but he's only 14 months old and he will never be the same again. granted he's a boy, he's bound to have more knocks, but not so many stitches at this young age.. he was in a shock after that knock, with blood oozing .. and not stopping even after 10 mins of putting pressure...
lyn0800, what did your boy's school do after reporting the incident to you?
What would be the appropriate way to go about this without going hysterical...
What would other parents do if in my shoes.... :*( he's not sleeping well at night now.. so i'm not getting much either,..

They put sugar on the cut/lips to stop the bleeding. The teacher sit me down, apologized and explained how the accident happen.
His cut was bad... he refused milk as it is painful to suckle. And, he refused school.

Putting myself in your situation; I might have already gone hysterical (with the cut, stitch, possibly scar and only 14mo).
Speak to the principal and request for a formal explanation and prevention measures that they would put in place.
I think ultimately at their age; we want a place that is completely safe for them, teachers who r caring and not so much on academic.
If the explanation is not to your satisfaction and only if you have found a new school; you may want to report to MSF or any regulatory body that your current boy is attending now to lodge a complain?
But as said, there is no guarantee that the new school will have no accident.

As for sleep, you may want to try diffusing essential oils to help both your boy and yourself to sleep better.
God Bless...

Indeed very heart pain to see toddler going through the stitch. Accidents happen any time, any where. There is no such place as child proof. Accident happen even if you and spouse were to look after baby yourself. Think positive that nothing life endangering happen and hope your boy will have a speedy recover instead of making a hell of life for childcare givers. 凡事以宽心待人,必处处会遇贵人。

Sorry to hear that ... Its very heart pain to see the pain as a kid has to go through. Hope your son have a speedy recovery.
Accident does happen, even if there are all adults around, sometimes thing happen really to fast to react. I did seen before my nephew fall from an adult chair when he was very sneaky and attempted to climb, the chair suddenly toppled, there was 5 adults at the same dining area but none of us can prevent it happened.
Of coz the childcare center would be held responsible for the safety. However, we also need to bear in mind that there is no place where is fully 100% safe for kids, even if we have take all the control in place, somehow kids can also do something we never expected which causes injury to them. If the teacher/staff in the cc are apologetic and already taken appropriate action to prevent such things happening again, then there is no need to complian like madness. Most important is to help your boy to get out of such trauma and let him slowly understand to how to take charge of his own safety.
Take care.

So far we haven't made life hell for anyone.. i just hope his unstable walking isn't anything serious. will go see the doc again to check up on him..
thanks all for the kind words and sanity check.. :). i need coffee...

Hope your baby's fine. Should be fine, if his grogginess does not last several weeks, and no vomitting. Most important, he can eat or sleep. If cannot sleep first few nights, that is expected due to trauma. More comfort, I guess, which you are giving already, so that's good...

My hunch is that there was something sharp causing the open wound. Normal falls against table or door edges should not result in open wounds. Bruises yes, red swollen forehead yes, but open wound that requires stitches, I don't think so. If you really want to pursue (and seek claims), then have to check video camera, which is installed in all centers. But this will spoil relationship with the teachers, so you may have to take him out of school.

The silver lining is that he's 14 months, so can promote to child care in 4 months time. If really uncomfortable, then just have to take him out and 'tong' for few months. If not, just request teachers to pay special attention over next few months.

my hb and i very serious about safety issue.

we encountered our child getting blue black 3 times on the head within 1st month at school. and the school has no cctv. so we decided to withdraw.

the school says our boy is very independent because he knows how to play on his own. this is very flattering but this also might mean that just because he is independent, he is left to wander around as he is.

My baby fell off from the rocker when she is about 14mth old.
After the fall she has fever for one whole week!!
And i never send her into the infant care ever again ....
The school did not inform me immediately once she fell.
The teachers gave me wrong information on how she fall ....
I only know the truth after i insisted on viewing the CCTV,
The teachers in the school are simply irresponsible.
The management told me that its neither the teachers nor the rocker fault.
Then whose fault ??
I've lodged a complaint against them with ECDA but nothing much was done from their side.
Lots of nonsense and excuses was given .
Very disappointed with ECDA as well .
They are not there to protect the kids ...
They are just protecting those evil money minded operators !!

Back