1 bedder @ TMC - how much did u pay?

bacookie

Hi

Anyone stayed in 1 bedder @ TMC recently? May I know what's your hospital bill was after deducting Medisave?

Hi Bacookie,

I delivered my first gal sept04. My delivery was an assisted with epidual. I stayed for 3 days 2 nights. 1 bedded @ TMC. After Medisave, we still paid around close to $3K.

i delivered in march 05, and stayed in 1 bedded for 4 nights, delivery by emergency caeserian. my total bill (i/c baby bill) was $5K-plus. after medisave i paid cash almost $2K

Hi i deliver natural without epidural at TMC and stayed in TMC one bedder for 2 nites - pay $900 after medisave

hi ladies,

i wld be delivering at TMC end this year.

this sum of cash money that you eventually paid after medisave, does it include the gynae package cost? as in the basic check-ups and delivery.

as far as i know, there are 3 grades of single bedders at TMC, which type did u ladies opt for?

hi i delivery my boy end Mar 05 in TMC after their price hike. natural without epidural stayed in the 1-bedder for 2 nites too... pay $1k+ ... does not include gynae antenatal checkup
happy.gif

ya 3 grades... i think most people shd stayed in the normal grade... definitely not deluxe or vip... not much point unless u r v v v rich or celebrity... i think zoe tay stayed in the vip suite rite?

Hi 2005, inclusive of gynae deliver charge but doesnt include the antenatal checkup.

Btw, just realised that baby is separate bill so in the end i paid abt $1.1k for both myself and baby after medisave.

caixincele,
the bill diff b/w the 3 grades is only the room charges. you can see the price list (for rooms) in the TMC website.

Thank you!Lani Chua, but do u know what is the facilities and services diff between 1 bedder and 1 bedder deluxe? thks!

poohy and qdee,

thks for info.

i roughly recall prenatal checks and delivery is $2075, ward charges are separate? so that works out to be the $1k+ u paid in cash after medisave, inclusive of ward charges, delivery and prenatal checks?

what does TMC provide for mum n bb? what to pack for hospi bag? heard that dont hafta bring anything for bb cos all provided?

what are the admission procedures? what papers required? do i just go straight? or hafta call gynae? or call hospi?

caixincele,
aiyoh, the difference is not worth the $$ leh!!!basically the 1-bedder deluxe is a bigger room, and has a round dining table and 4 dining chairs, that's all!! as for the 1-bedder VIP (ie the ones Zoe Tay and Wong Lilin stayed at), it has an attached lounge/living area for your guests, ie with flat screen tv and sofa, etc...fyi, the 1-bedder rooms has an extra bed for hubby to stay overnight - they charge you $60 per day for it. if you are really keen to see all the rooms you can go for a free hospital tour - they conduct it everyday at around 2pm.

prenatal charges are usually seperate from delivery charges. basically your prenatal fees you always pay way in advance to your gynae, around the time you find out you are pregnant and sign up for a prenatal package with your gynae.

TMC also provides confinement food for you if you request for it (i/c those herbal soups, etc).

when you deliver at hospital, you basically have 3 seperate charges - 1) delivery costs, ward costs, and baby costs. i think how much medisave you can use is quite fixed (i'm not sure how much, maybe you can check this on medisave website?) or you can always ask the nurses at your gynae's clinic, as they should be able to advice you on it. then how much cash you end up paying will be your total bill minus the medisave you are allowed to use lor.

at TMC, they don't provide much for you, so you gotta pack most of your stuff. you will need:
1)pajamas or nightgown, 1 for every day you are there (if you plan to BF get those with buttons down the front) - TMC will only provide you with those ugly hospital gowns that tie at the back! yucks!
2) disposable underwear
3) maternity sanitary pads
4) bras (if you are BF, then get nursing bras)
4) a pair of slippers or sandals or bedroom slippers
5) bath towel
6) change of clothes for discharge day
7) all your toileteries, etc
8) if you had a c-section, then you will need those post-delivery girdle thingy (VERY IMPORTANT)

If you are going to BF, then bring the following:
1) breast pump
2) nursing bras
3) a few hand or face towels (to wipe your breast with before and after BF)
4) nipple cream
5) nursing pillow (optional)

As for baby, you are right, you don't really need to bring anything, as the hospital will provide everything when you are discharged (ie. a change of clothing for baby, receiving blanket, diaper bag, some diapers, some infant milk formula - those that come in pre-sterilised glass bottles). You may want to consider bringing an infant car seat for your baby to use for the trip from hospital to home (i used one myself, as I am totally against the idea of carrying baby in the arms while in the car).

as for admission - TMC allows pre-admission. the nurses at my gynae's clinic arranged this for me. basically the clinic will pre-register for you (by using your EDD), then TMC will send you a form to fill up and send back to them. so when you actually feel like you are about to deliver (ie contractions starting, water bag broke, etc) you need to call your gynae's clinic to inform them and they will advice you on what to do (ie whether to wait a while, or go to clinic, or go immed to hospital). when you do go down to hospital just go to the registration desk and they will admit you immed because you have already been pre-registered. you just need to bring yours and hubby's ICs and the pre-admission letter you received from your gynae. if you plan to register the birth of your baby at the hospital also, you need to bring your marriage cert also.

Hi Lani Chua, thank you veri veri much, u r so wonderful, ur info r so helpful... Reli appreciate!!! Btw, who's ur gynae? Can u advice on epidural?

caixincele,
My gynae is Dr KC Yeo. His clinic is on the 5th floor of TMC. Sorry, can't advice you on epidural, as I delivered via emergency c-section, as my labour had no progress...

i forgot 1 more item to add to list of things to bring if you're BF - breastpads!! very impt, as your breast will constantly be leaking once your milk comes in!
happy.gif

one more item that may sound very strange but is necessary if you experience engorgement when BF - cold cabbage!! don't laugh ah, it REALLY works!! don't believe you go ask Mrs Wong Bo Boi at TMC...

ssf,
for baby stuff they will only give you a diaper bag, a baby shirt (to wear upon check out), a receiving blanket, few pcs diapers (leftovers from your baby's stay), maybe a small packet wet wipes, and 2-3 bottles of the sterilised milk in glass jar with 2-3pcs disposable teats. that's all. all your bay essentilas you need at home, eg bath tub, towel, pampers, etc you need to stock up before you come back home.

Btw, if you are the type to get cold easily then bring several pairs of socks. i am told that after delivery you shouldn't make yourself cold, so always advisable to wear socks all the time.

hi lani,

when did u receive the pre-admission letter frm ur gynae? coz i've areadi sent bak the pre-registration form to them liao... btw, my gynae also Dr Yeo.. hee..

SSF,
they only provide few pcs sanitary pads - not enough!!! you need to bring like 2 packets of your own!! trust me, there will be LOTS of bleeding, and mind you, i had c-section you know...so can you imagine what it's like for those with natural birth?

celtricia,
the pre-admission letter thingy you get from Dr Yeo's clinic - ask one of the nurses there (Shirley or Norita) and they will pass it to you.

lani,
thanks for detailed info, they were most helpful! when the nurses explained to me prenatal checkup charges, i remember they mentioned the package includes delivery ley. i must have heard wrongly then, will check details again. looks like gota increase budget again!

sorry i hafta be so explicit cos no experience, if i intend to stay 2 nites, how many pads wld be enuff? and how many disposable panties??

so for admission, i just call clinic and inform them im coming down? but wad if its at nite, do i call the general line? and at which stage shd we ask for the pre-admission letter? im into my 28th week now.

celtricia/2005,
i am not too sure when you will receive the pre-admission letter (can't remember already! heehee!!) but it should be nearer to your EDD and not that early.

i think the delivery cost your nurses may have mentioned that's included in prenatal charges may be the delivery cost your gynae charges, and probably not the hospital delivery costs (these are 2 seperate costs). whatever your gynae charges you he will bill you seperately, and you will have to pay that direct to his clinic. the hospital delivery costs you will pay at the hospital upon checking out.

as for the disposable panties and sanitary pads, i can't really remember leh, but maybe to be safe 2 panties per day. i'm not too sure about the pads, it all depends on how badly you are bleeding, but for me i stayed 4 days and used up 2 packets (bought from Mothercare). i think 1 pack had 10 or 12 pcs. i think it's safer to bring 2 packets, just in case you need to use more than 1. even if you don't use the 2nd pack you can always bring home and use at home. remember hor, you will be bleeding for a few weeks you know!! for me i didn't stop bleeding till around 6 weeks after delivery you know!! very long!!
sad.gif

yes, if you think you are going to deliver just call your clinic. if its after hours i am sure your clinic will provide you with a number that you can call after hours right? if have then just call that number and tell them that you think you are in labour already lah.

lani/celtricia/2005

I've already received my pre-ad letter altho i'm in my 23rd week only. Think is how fast your clinic send your booking over to TMC lor.

Hi celtricia, have you prepared just about everything to pack into the hospital bag yet ?
-Toiletries
-Breast pads (Pigeon is good)
-Maternity pads
-Maternity dress (when discharge/receive visitors)
-Socks
-Jacket (don't get sick after childbirth)
-Face towel
-Marriage cert (register bb birth)
-Antenatal bill/preadmission letter/IC

Hi caixincele, I had epidural for both my deliveries. My pain threshold very low, so I opted for it. Do let your gynae know.

The epidural is administered by an anaethesist. It involves a thin needle inserted into the hollow of your spinal area. You cannot move when the needle is inserted. After a short while, you will feel numbness in the lower half of the body.
After that, you won't feel the contractions even when it reaches the peak.

Lani, thanks.. will check wif them tis thursday when i go for my checkup..

Hi Janet,

I've yet to pack my bag.. hee.. i was tinking of packing it only on the 2nd week of tis mth.. kekeke.. it won't b too late will it?

Hi anyone knows if epidural is recommended and the risk involved? My gynae advised me not to take epidural ler and most of his patients 90% dun take. Any advice??

Hi celtricia, there are certain things to buy before you can pack the hospital bag. BTW, I recommend you this brand of maternity pads called Madame. Available at Carrefour. It is thick, long, and wide enough for the initial few weeks after childbirth.

Hi Janet..
Actually i was tinking of juz using those normal heavy days pad.. hee.. but i will check out the maternity pad u recommended.. thanks.. at the same time i will write down those things u haf mentioned dat i will nid to pack.. but juz to check wif u.. where do u go buy pjs wif front buttons so dat i can bf?

lani,
thanks for info, they are v helpful!
happy.gif
didnt know gynar delivery charges and hospital delivery charges are 2 separate costs, now makes more sense.

im in my 29th week now but gynae hasnt discussed anything on birth plan/ pain relief ley nor have i received pre-admission letter when I saw her yday. Is it still too early?

how much is the additional costs if i choose to take epidural at TMC? diff hospitals charge differently.

yes, your gynae delivery charges is to pay him for delivering your baby only, but then during labour and delivery you use the hospital facilities mah, so of course gotta pay the hospital also lah! heehee!! for eg, if you are in labour for 24hrs so you will be in the labour room for 24hrs right, then the nurses all attend to you, check your progress, dilation, etc, prep you for delivery, give you drips, epidural, etc and you are hooked up to the monitor, etc...so those are the hospital delivery fees lah.

my gynae also didn't talk to me about the delivery procedure until i was in my 36th week i think! very late also. but if you kan cheong can ask her lah.

i don't know how much epidural costs, as i didn't take it. i wanted to but gynae said no, cause my baby's head still haven't engaged yet so very risky. in the end my labour no progress so had to go for emergency c-section...

ladies,
if i have baby no. 2 and deliver via c-section again, i plan to stay at TMC for 5 days leh...heehee!! must relax-relax first before going home with baby and then faced with all the stress and sleepless nights!!!
happy.gif

Hi first_mum, I paid $850 for natural birth with epidural. It includes 2 days stay at the hospital. These were the charges in Nov 2004.

I understand that hospital charges are revised every few months. Do check out the rates.

lani,
wah 36 weeks is really v late ley. wad if deliver weeks b4 EDD?? den too late liao. ill check with gynae the next visit.

im like totally resigned to the fact that i will take epi. cannot imagine if later the doc tell me cannot or unsuitable!

janet,
i saw on the price list that 2 days stay with epi 1 bedder $1700+, 2 bedder costs $1500+. dats like so far from wad u quoted! ask u ah, 2 days stay means 2 nites or like travel package lidat, means 2 days 1 nite??

Hi first_mum, what I quoted to you is based on 4 bedded ward. Travel package different hor.
I stayed for 2 days, 2 nights. If you take the hospital package offered, it is much cheaper (and worth it) than "a la carte".

i can't remember exactly when i got the details and letter lah. heehee! prob just before 36 wks (i delivered 11 days early), but can't really recall anymore! sorry!

eh, if you deliver weeks before EDD considered emergency case already lah, so you surely will be admitted to hospital ASAP! if you deliver before week 36 considered premature baby already...normal delivery is from 38-42 weeks. my delivery was at 39 weeks.

with regards to epi, you can tell your gynae that you wish to have it when the time comes, but ultimately the final decision will be made by gynae, for saftety reasons lah. like my case for instance, my labour pains was too much already (mind you, i was in labour for VERY long already, like more than 12 hrs already), and i asked for epi, but gynae said cannot because it was risky for baby, as her head still hasn't even engaged yet so CANNOT have epi...so no choice i had to "tahan" the pain, so the nurses just gave me that pain killer gas thingy (but didn;t help much lah!).

when stay 2 days i think it usually means as long as you "check-in" to the 1-bedder room before 12pm considered 1 day already (ie 2 days 2 nights). i delivered at 4pm, so for 1st day, 4pm 1st day-12pm next day it was considered 1 day.

Hi ssf, if you are staying at TMC, the hospital provides stick-on pads but you have to bring your own as the hospital does not provide for your entire stay.

I used this brand Madame as it is long and wide enough. 20 pieces in each packet. Wanted to try out Mothercare but personally find that it is not long enough. Hate to create a mess on the hospital bed.

On the day you are discharged, the nurses will give you a few sample bottles of formula (if the bb is on formula) to bring home as well as sterile teats. Really useful but requires careful storage as the bb drinks very little in the first few weeks. So you have to keep the milk well or it will spoil.

hi janet,
yes, will definitely take up the package instead of ala carte. so were u also auto-upgraded to 2-bedder FOC since u opted for 4-bedded ward?

so stick-on pads or loop kind better? and should we wear disposable panties? i feel that cotton panties would give more support and hold stick-ons better ley.

lani,
i was under the impression that most women deliver before EDD, mayb 1-2 weeks earlier, at least dats wad i heard for first child.

i thought engagement occurs around 32 wks? how come u in labour oredi and bb hasnt engaged yet?? pardon my ignorance.... i cannotni imagine if i had to be in labour pain for 12 hrs. ure a real woman!

with regards to panties, it's totally up tp you which ones you prefer (matter of personal choice). for me disposable were better, because sometimes the bleeding will soak through so much easier to just throw away the panty and use new one. besides if you use those cotton one who's gonna wash them for you when you are in hospital? haha!

delivery very hard to say for 1st time mummies, that's why always be prepared from week 38 onwards lah.

yah, engagement normally occurs from 2 weeks to 1 day before delivery, but in my case baby's head refused to engage! and i was already having contractions like 2 days before i delivered you know! gynae said mine was a case of mummy having very small pelvis coupled with baby got big head! haha! what to do, her daddy's side of the family all head big-big one! haha. and then i am sooo petite, height only 1.5m and weight before pregnant was 43kg.

Lani, did u purchase any night gown dat's of front opening so dat can easily breastfeed ur baby? coz i dun seem to b able to find a nice n comfy one..

celtricia,
yah, i bought those pajamas (pants one) with the top with buttons on the front. very hard to find in s'pore cheap and comfortable ones. Marks & Spencer have but very expensive, so in the end i bought all online from JC Penney.

lani, dat means u bought 2 pieces one ah.. i tot buy dress one better? even if we gg for natural birth it's easier for us right? Marks & Spencer really ex menz.. haiz.. so difficult to find.. wat'z d webpage for JC Penney?

Hi first_mum, I did get upgraded to a 2 bedded ward FOC. It was a pleasant surprise for us.

As for maternity pads, the stick-on ones were more comfortable. At least that was how I felt.
I wore my own cotton undies with the stick-on pads. But I have to inform you that the flow is very heavy in the first few days after delivery.

celtricia,
yah i bought 2 piece cause i prefer those, so at least if i sleep without blanket and "coffeeshop" open big-big nobody will see!! haha!! website is: www.jcpenney.com i bought the PJs during their sale, so it was very cheap, like US$15 each.

i also prefer stick on pads. being upgraded depends on your luck lah - if only the rooms you requested for is full on the day you deliver, then they will upgrade you.

lani,
cos disposable ones 7 for 1.95, cotton ones can be just as cheap mah, slightly more ex, and they are more comfy so can use and throw.

wah ure really petite! im 1.6 and pple oredi commented i small-sized! how heavy was ur little one when born? my hubby and me also have big heads haha!

went to JCPenny website. also not cheap ley. plus shipping is ex rite? i tink ill just get some ah-mah ones from JL or isetan.

janet,
so lucky! i wld be elated if i were u.

cotton undies hold stick-ons better im sure.

in that case can just buy cotton undies and throw after using lah. definitely mor comfortable.

yah, JC Penney if no sale very ex, and shipping also quite costly. just get those ah-soh types from JL also can lah. besides in hospital and at home who's going to see you right? so long as got buttons down the front can already.

yah, i am very small sized - like a small girl. eh, some of my clothes from Pri. 6 I can still wear you know!! my baby was 3kg when she was born. definitely head big like her daddy...

lani,
went to isetan just now. really v ah-soh loh the PJs, so turned off so didnt buy any haha! then went Marks&Spencers, wah so nice cnt wait to give birth, lose weight and wear those gorgeous and comfy jammies heehee!

wah pri 6 clothes still can wear dats really something man! 3kg considered quite small rite? normal abt 3.5? my bb also small, only 1.12kg at 29 weeks!.. my hubby also big-head, daughter mayb also the same hahaha.

that was exactly my sentiments lah when i went shopping for PJs! went to all the deparment stores and felt as if they are all in competition to see who can bring in the most ah-soh looking PJs sia....wah biang, can faint man!

Marks & Spencers all soooo nice ah, but very ex lah...but in the end hubby bought a few for me lah as gifts after i gave birth - he said wait lose weight i can wear all...
happy.gif

yalah, it was as if i stopped growing after pri. 6 leh...my weight until age 21 was 39kg you know, then slowly went up to 43kg just before pregnant (32yrs old), now don't say lah, weight still hovering around 50kg mark, still got alot to lose...
sad.gif

i think 3kg for a girl is about average lah. those above 3kg are mostly boys. my daughter now around 7.5kg already (6mths old).

never mind if big head lah - big head means big brains right? hahaha!!

Back