Bad OSCARS Results

jjknzxc

Hello all,

I am 22 this year and I just did my FTS (also known as OSCARS) in KKH. I am currently 12 weeks and 6 days pregnant. This is my first pregnancy.

My risk for T21 is 1:142 and NT is 2.5mm, the counsellor at KKH keeps advising me to go for amnio and I understand that there’s a risk of miscarriage as well.

Also, during the scan, my baby’s nasal bone is absent which worries me a lot. Gynae at KKH said maybe slow growth in nasal bone, have to wait 20 weeks for detailed scan to check again. Have been trying to google around but very little people are facing the same problem as me. Apparently smoking affects the risk numbers as well? I used to be a smoker but quit right after finding out I’m pregnant(about 4 weeks). Am currently very worried as my expected risk for T21 is supposed to be 1:1000+.

Anyone can give me advice on what to do next...? Thanks so much and will appreciate any help. So sorry for the many questions above, am really at a loss right now...

Update: I have uploaded a photo of my results, do let me know if anything seems unusual to you as the doctor who explained my report did not go into full details.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 913
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 833
Last edited:

Maybe u would like to go through harmony test? Is just to draw blood and sent to US. Is 95% accurancy. Other simliar is Panorama or igene. Last resort is amino which is 100% accurancy

Hi,

Did your gynae give you any further advice and explain the situation to you? Did your OSCAR results factor in the blood test? Most importantly keep in mind that the OSCAR test (even the NIPT) are screening tests and are not diagnostic tests, so a screening test's purpose is to detect potentially indicators of diseases while a diagnostic test is to establish the presence/absence of a disease.

Amniocentesis and CVS are diagnostic tests, amnio can only be done from week 16 while CVS can be performed from week 11 - 13. While both carry the risk of miscarriage, the factor that plays the most important part is the skill of the doctor performing the test. The main difference between CVS and amnio is that the CVS procedure captures cells from your placenta (both placenta and baby develop from same group of cells after conception) while amnio procedure captures the amniotic fluid surrounding baby (cells shed from baby's skin, the pee etc). For both, karyotyping, or a picture of the baby’s chromosomes, can definitively diagnose or rule out the vast majority of chromosome abnormalities, including downs, TR18 and TR13. An additional test, called a microarray, can identify missing or extra pieces of genetic material. This microarray can determine if a pregnancy may be affected with a specific inheritable conditions from both parents. The karyotyping is done in a Singapore lab, while the microarray will go to UK/US depending on which hospital you choose. I did quite a bit of research as I was going through the same emotions as you. If you decide to go for this, best to find an experienced doctor to perform the procedure.

Sharing my experience, I am 32 and with my first pregnancy. 2 Fridays ago, I had the OSCAR test done at almost 12w pregnant, and the results came back worrying. My child's NT then was 4.8mm (highest I have seen in the forums so far!) and the risk for T21 is 1:11, but the nasal bone is present. We did not even do the blood test for OSCAR as there was no point to, which made us extremely worried and afraid. My gynae advised us that we should undergo the CVS test with microarray as we would know the results earlier. If the results are normal then we will still have to proceed with a fetal echocardiogram (detailed assessment of the baby's heart), which could be a reason for the high NT.

With the advice and research done, we opted to go for the CVS procedure with microarray (S$3,500 after medisave deduction of $700) at Thomson Medical. The procedure was done transabdominally, meaning that the extraction needle is inserted from the abdomen. Doctor will first do a ultrasound scan, and there will be a sonographer performing the scan while doctor is inserting the needle. Two needles will be inserted, a guiding hollow needle and the needle which retrieves the sample inside the guiding needle. Whole process was fast, took about 15mins and had to rest in the hospital for 30mins - 1hr after. Hubby not allowed in the room and I was awake the whole time. Closed my eyes during the whole procedure, but doctor was reassuring the whole time and very professional. After the procedure is done, they will show you baby's heart beat that it is still fine.

Bed rest mandatory for up to 5 days as well. I experienced cramping immediately after (which was scary) but it went away after day 2. No spotting and other complications and it has been more than a week after the procedure. Yesterday, I received the karyotyping results and all 46 chromosomes are normal (no risk for downs, tr18 and tr13). Now awaiting the microarray results and subsequently, the heart scan at week 16. Some great news but still not all clear.

I won't say that you will have the same results and experience as me, but many people gave me advice to have faith in my child and to talk to him daily. Hope all goes well with your decision and further testing, let me know if you need more information.

God Bless,

Pooty

Hello all,

I am 22 this year and I just did my FTS (also known as OSCARS) in KKH. I am currently 12 weeks and 6 days pregnant. This is my first pregnancy.

My risk for T21 is 1:142 and NT is 2.5mm, the counsellor at KKH keeps advising me to go for amnio and I understand that there’s a risk of miscarriage as well.

Also, during the scan, my baby’s nasal bone is absent which worries me a lot. Gynae at KKH said maybe slow growth in nasal bone, have to wait 20 weeks for detailed scan to check again. Have been trying to google around but very little people are facing the same problem as me. Apparently smoking affects the risk numbers as well? I used to be a smoker but quit right after finding out I’m pregnant(about 4 weeks). Am currently very worried as my expected risk for T21 is supposed to be 1:1000+.

Anyone can give me advice on what to do next...? Also, report states my placenta is posterior low(?). Can anyone explain what does that mean? Should I be worried for this also?

Thanks so much and will appreciate any help. So sorry for the many questions above, am really at a loss right now...

Hello may I know if your gynae got explain to you why there is high risk in your test result? For me, my fts also shows absence of nasal bone but my percentage for all component is Low risk. I went for harmony test two weeks ago and now still waiting for result

Hello may I know if your gynae got explain to you why there is high risk in your test result? For me, my fts also shows absence of nasal bone but my percentage for all component is Low risk. I went for harmony test two weeks ago and now still waiting for result
hi I have similar results . nasal bone absent but all other parameters. due to nasal bone risk becomes intermediate. what did dr suggest u. did u do nipt?

also did the dr say it is very unusual to not see nasal bone at 12 weeks? I am quite concerned as I see very rarely nosebonenot seen

hi I have similar results . nasal bone absent but all other parameters. due to nasal bone risk becomes intermediate. what did dr suggest u. did u do nipt?
May I know what is your overall risk? My risk is still in few thousands and my gynae mentioned that it is gd to go for harmony test. I went and the result is Low risk. Hv u went for the harmony test?

also did the dr say it is very unusual to not see nasal bone at 12 weeks? I am quite concerned as I see very rarely nosebonenot seen
My gynae mentioned that some babies might hv slower development, or mayb the nasal bone is still small to be visible in the ultra scan. What did ur gynae says?

Hi,

Did your gynae give you any further advice and explain the situation to you? Did your OSCAR results factor in the blood test? Most importantly keep in mind that the OSCAR test (even the NIPT) are screening tests and are not diagnostic tests, so a screening test's purpose is to detect potentially indicators of diseases while a diagnostic test is to establish the presence/absence of a disease.

Amniocentesis and CVS are diagnostic tests, amnio can only be done from week 16 while CVS can be performed from week 11 - 13. While both carry the risk of miscarriage, the factor that plays the most important part is the skill of the doctor performing the test. The main difference between CVS and amnio is that the CVS procedure captures cells from your placenta (both placenta and baby develop from same group of cells after conception) while amnio procedure captures the amniotic fluid surrounding baby (cells shed from baby's skin, the pee etc). For both, karyotyping, or a picture of the baby’s chromosomes, can definitively diagnose or rule out the vast majority of chromosome abnormalities, including downs, TR18 and TR13. An additional test, called a microarray, can identify missing or extra pieces of genetic material. This microarray can determine if a pregnancy may be affected with a specific inheritable conditions from both parents. The karyotyping is done in a Singapore lab, while the microarray will go to UK/US depending on which hospital you choose. I did quite a bit of research as I was going through the same emotions as you. If you decide to go for this, best to find an experienced doctor to perform the procedure.

Sharing my experience, I am 32 and with my first pregnancy. 2 Fridays ago, I had the OSCAR test done at almost 12w pregnant, and the results came back worrying. My child's NT then was 4.8mm (highest I have seen in the forums so far!) and the risk for T21 is 1:11, but the nasal bone is present. We did not even do the blood test for OSCAR as there was no point to, which made us extremely worried and afraid. My gynae advised us that we should undergo the CVS test with microarray as we would know the results earlier. If the results are normal then we will still have to proceed with a fetal echocardiogram (detailed assessment of the baby's heart), which could be a reason for the high NT.

With the advice and research done, we opted to go for the CVS procedure with microarray (S$3,500 after medisave deduction of $700) at Thomson Medical. The procedure was done transabdominally, meaning that the extraction needle is inserted from the abdomen. Doctor will first do a ultrasound scan, and there will be a sonographer performing the scan while doctor is inserting the needle. Two needles will be inserted, a guiding hollow needle and the needle which retrieves the sample inside the guiding needle. Whole process was fast, took about 15mins and had to rest in the hospital for 30mins - 1hr after. Hubby not allowed in the room and I was awake the whole time. Closed my eyes during the whole procedure, but doctor was reassuring the whole time and very professional. After the procedure is done, they will show you baby's heart beat that it is still fine.

Bed rest mandatory for up to 5 days as well. I experienced cramping immediately after (which was scary) but it went away after day 2. No spotting and other complications and it has been more than a week after the procedure. Yesterday, I received the karyotyping results and all 46 chromosomes are normal (no risk for downs, tr18 and tr13). Now awaiting the microarray results and subsequently, the heart scan at week 16. Some great news but still not all clear.

I won't say that you will have the same results and experience as me, but many people gave me advice to have faith in my child and to talk to him daily. Hope all goes well with your decision and further testing, let me know if you need more information.

God Bless,

Pooty

Hi Pooty,

Apologies for the late reply as I havent been checking the forum as much. Sadly, gynae did not advise me on what to do as I am seeing KKH gynaes under subsidised patient, so I don't have a go-to gynae. I get different doctors/gynaes everytime. :(

Thank you for the detailed explanation on how the process of CVS works. I am very afraid of needles so I doubt I'll be getting amnio as well (I am overdue for CVS already haha).

Also, thank God your baby is okay! For now I'm just waiting for the 20th week scan to see if baby's nasal bone is present or not. I am not sure if my blood test has affected the ratio or is just that the nasal bone is absent because the doctor explaining my report did not say anything about my blood. Many have been telling me 1:142 is still quite a wide range compared to those I've seen on the forum eg, 1:10, 1:2 etc.

In the meantime, I just pray and hope my baby's nasal bone will be present by 20th week scan haha. Take care and hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Hello Stephy1988,

Gynae never explain much, only say nasal bone absent. I see KKH doctors & gynaes so they only base on report then explain. They never see scan at all. Not sure if my blood affected the results as well. I uploaded my results, maybe you can help me see if anything is wrong? Also, when the sonographer was doing the scan, she actually asked for another doctor to come in to double check. I heard them saying something like "ya quite short", not sure if they were referring to nasal bone? Maybe too short to be mentioned as present? I never clarify with the sonographer cus I thought that she will be the one explaining my report as well then I forgot about it cause too upset when I heard I was considered "high risk".

Hello Sam771,

So sorry to hear that :( I was really upset too when I heard baby's nasal bone absent in scan, scared the shit out of me. The doctors never suggest much, only explain to me results and then push me to go see counsellor so they can explain procedure. They don't really do recommendations in KKH i realised haha. I was thinking of doing NIPT but I'm not sure if my blood is the one that affects the ratio or just because the nasal bone is absent in the scan. So now I'm just waiting for 20th week scan and hopefully baby's nasal bone is present by then. The doctor who explained my report did mention some babies have slow growth, and during the scan the sonographer had to get another one in to double check my scan. The other sonographer did say something like "ya quite short", maybe she was referring to the nasal bone? I'm not too sure, I didn't clarify cause I thought the same person will be explaining the report to me. End up was another doctor just base on report then explain. Will you be doing NIPT?

May I know what is your overall risk? My risk is still in few thousands and my gynae mentioned that it is gd to go for harmony test. I went and the result is Low risk. Hv u went for the harmony test?
hi yes risk was few in thousands for trisomy 13 and 18 but 1:651 in trisomy 21

we have done harmony and awaiting results?
if u underwent harmony.means u already abt 14 week as 2 weeks it takes to get results. did u do repeat scan?

My gynae mentioned that some babies might hv slower development, or mayb the nasal bone is still small to be visible in the ultra scan. What did ur gynae says?
the Gynae was just concerned and recommended nipt. did ur gynae mention abt %age of cases they have seen with this condition. also sonographer never mentioned anything so not sure what went wrong. did ur sonographer mention or show u? they show various other baby parts..

Hello Sam771,

So sorry to hear that :( I was really upset too when I heard baby's nasal bone absent in scan, scared the shit out of me. The doctors never suggest much, only explain to me results and then push me to go see counsellor so they can explain procedure. They don't really do recommendations in KKH i realised haha. I was thinking of doing NIPT but I'm not sure if my blood is the one that affects the ratio or just because the nasal bone is absent in the scan. So now I'm just waiting for 20th week scan and hopefully baby's nasal bone is present by then. The doctor who explained my report did mention some babies have slow growth, and during the scan the sonographer had to get another one in to double check my scan. The other sonographer did say something like "ya quite short", maybe she was referring to the nasal bone? I'm not too sure, I didn't clarify cause I thought the same person will be explaining the report to me. End up was another doctor just base on report then explain. Will you be doing NIPT?
yes will do nipt as we were told by dr

Hello Stephy1988,

Gynae never explain much, only say nasal bone absent. I see KKH doctors & gynaes so they only base on report then explain. They never see scan at all. Not sure if my blood affected the results as well. I uploaded my results, maybe you can help me see if anything is wrong? Also, when the sonographer was doing the scan, she actually asked for another doctor to come in to double check. I heard them saying something like "ya quite short", not sure if they were referring to nasal bone? Maybe too short to be mentioned as present? I never clarify with the sonographer cus I thought that she will be the one explaining my report as well then I forgot about it cause too upset when I heard I was considered "high risk".
For my case the sonagrapher did explained my report saying that the blood test is ok, jus that nasal bone is absent. I went to see my gynae for his opinion and he advised me to go for harmony test if I am worried abt it, even though the risk is still Low taking into consideration of the nasal bone. Harmony test is 99% accurate for Down syndrome, whereas Oscar is 90%. So Long as harmony test is Low risk, we can eliminate the possibility of the Down syndrome. When is ur week 20 detailed scan? Mayb u can bring your previous report and ask the sonagrapher again, for a peace of mind.

if u underwent harmony.means u already abt 14 week as 2 weeks it takes to get results. did u do repeat scan?

I have done harmony test and received Low risk for my result of the harmony test. So Long as harmony test result is Low risk, there is not much of a concern. I’m waiting for my week 20 detailed scan. When did you go for the harmony test?

your risk percentage looks fine to me, dun hv to worry too much abt it. My gynae shared w me that 90% of the nasal bone can be seen at week 12, but becos we r Asian, it is v hard to gauge. Some babies might hv slower development or born to hv flat nose, which cannot be seen as early as week 12.

thanks for your reply and information given.underwent harmony this week. yes wish the best for the babies.

hi, my risk was also few in thousands for trisomy 13 and 18 but 1:287 in trisomy 21. Juz done my NIPT on 28 Dec 2020, doc said should be able to know the result by 8 Jan 2021 during my 2nd trimester appointment. Unfortunately during my appointment on 8 Jan, doc said the NIPT result is not yet ready and rescheduled a new appointment on 27 Jan 2021 for NIPT result review. The whole waiting process is almost 1 month, that is killing me and I was so worried about the result... :(

Hi Mommy’s,

I am 28 years old and I just did my FTS (also known as OSCAR 12 weeks & 5days that time) in TMC. I am currently 14 weeks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy.

My risk for T21 is 1:25, NT is 3.50mm and Nasal Bone is 3.2mm. My OB advice me to do further test which is Amniocentesis.

Any advice please. I’m so anxious ☹

Hi,

God Bless,

Pooty

hi, my risk was also few in thousands for trisomy 13 and 18 but 1:287 in trisomy 21. Juz done my NIPT on 28 Dec 2020, doc said should be able to know the result by 8 Jan 2021 during my 2nd trimester appointment. Unfortunately during my appointment on 8 Jan, doc said the NIPT result is not yet ready and rescheduled a new appointment on 27 Jan 2021 for NIPT result review. The whole waiting process is almost 1 month, that is killing me and I was so worried about the result... :(

Hi, here an update, i got my NIPT result on 27 Jan 2021, everything is fine with low possibility (0.01%). The date of the report showed 8 Jan 2021 ><", which mean i have been waiting the NIPT result for 3 weeks extra... Anyway, Thanks God baby is fine and we managed to know the gender too. For those mummy with bad Oscar result, do not be worried, you may go for NIPT test.

Hi, here an update, i got my NIPT result on 27 Jan 2021, everything is fine with low possibility (0.01%). The date of the report showed 8 Jan 2021 ><", which mean i have been waiting the NIPT result for 3 weeks extra... Anyway, Thanks God baby is fine and we managed to know the gender too. For those mummy with bad Oscar result, do not be worried, you may go for NIPT test.
good and congrats.
But just to add on, by the time when the oscar result is out, it may over the NIPT testing period liao, So i would advise and suggest for those new pregnant if possible, just go for NIPT and not oscar in the 1st place.

hi there!

I went for both oscar and igene NIPT test on the same day, and my OB revealed to me that the NIPT is low risk for all trisomies inc down syndrome but OSCAR is showing a NT of 2.9mm, thicker than avg of 2.5mm. But nasal bone is present. Having these results, my OB still ask me to consider amnio,which im not sure I should do given the NIPT test result.

I’m going for detail scan again on wk 15, currently 13 wks.

have you gone for your detailed 20wk scan?How did it turn out?

Hi,

God Bless,

Pooty
Isst very painful to perform a CVS test? I understand from my friend that it’s extremely painful but she choose to do the test via vaginal instead of abdominal area. Thanks for sharing.

Back