Ivf at NUH- Prof Wong and Dr Stephen Chew

Hi,

I understand that subsidy patient, we cannot choose our own doctor but the same doctor stick with us during the IVF journey or different doctor will see us everytime we go for review, follicle check (like KKH)?

Is there any chance that if I choose as subsidy patient, Prof Wong will be my IVF doc?

I heard good reviews about him..

hi, for subsidies patient u cannot choose doc, so will be seen by different doc each time . If u wanna choose prof Wong u hv to upgrade to private & pay private rate instead of subsidies rate. But for ivf still entitle for the cofunding & Medisave deduct for both private & subsidy patient

Last edited:

Me too with Prof Wong! Starting stimms soon

Hi,

Can I know whether you are a sub patient or private?

I am from KKH too and thinking of switching to NUH. Can you tell me how do you that? I mean, i've read that you are from KKH too and now on stimms with NUH..

Hi I went as private. Call up the hotline and make an appt. But their CHR clinic is closing for reno from May till Nov.

I am currently 33 yo. Recently went with Dr Chew. In the past, I had 2 failed IUIs and 1 successful IVF (4 blastocysts) back in 2019. At that time, I was a subsidised patient. We met Dr Chew occasionally during our appointments (as we had diff doc attending to us being a subsidised patient) but he was not the one doing the egg trf at the end. I had 2 fresh egg trf, with one having assisted hatching. I gave birth to 1 healthy baby boy as a result of that IVF despite transferring 2 eggs.

So this time round, we decided to undergo our 2nd IVF as a private patient, and Dr Chew was the only doc available. We had 2 frozen egg trf.. but none assisted hatching. I did not remember about assisted hatching at all till after the procedure but was too late by then. Dr Chew also did not mentioned anything about that throughout our time with him. Needless to say.. our 2nd IVF is a failure and I have no frozen eggs left.

I did not understand why Dr Chew did not opt for assisted hatching for our 2nd IVF. We had 2 failed IUIs and 1 successful IVF, which PROBABLY has something to do with assisted hatching. No point being angry at anyone now.. but just rmb to consult ur doc about assisted hatching to improve your chances.

I understand that assisted hatching is decided by embryologist not doctors. So doctors cannot ask them to do it unless they deem fit. Based on what I have asked. I did a FET on Monday.. I really hope I can have a good news this week as I’m 39 yo and this is my first ivf procedure.

Hi,

I understand that subsidy patient, we cannot choose our own doctor but the same doctor stick with us during the IVF journey or different doctor will see us everytime we go for review, follicle check (like KKH)?

Is there any chance that if I choose as subsidy patient, Prof Wong will be my IVF doc?

I heard good reviews about him..
Based on my understanding is no. Only private patients can choose their attending doctors. I hope it helps :)

Hi anyone doing FET in April for NUH? I just did my first FET in March and waiting for blood test results on Thursday. However, all my swelling and discomforts from the jabs are so I wonder, does it means it’s not successful.. as NUH is closing from May to Nov for renovation. I’m not sure if I failed my March FET (1st round) can I choose to proceed to April for frozen embryos transfer? I
have only 2 frozen embryos by day 5.
Does anyone know anything about this?

Thank you.

Hi anyone doing FET in April for NUH? I just did my first FET in March and waiting for blood test results on Thursday. However, all my swelling and discomforts from the jabs are so I wonder, does it means it’s not successful.. as NUH is closing from May to Nov for renovation. I’m not sure if I failed my March FET (1st round) can I choose to proceed to April for frozen embryos transfer? I
have only 2 frozen embryos by day 5.
Does anyone know anything about this?

Thank you.

Hello! I did check with CHR nurse on this before. She said is possible if i manage to squeeze in depending on when the menses come. Can start prognova after menses come. Need to eat for at least 2 weeks and need to go back and scan. So depending on the lining and etc, need to transfer latest by 23 April (if I am not wrong).

All the best for your blood test tomorrow =]

Hello! I did check with CHR nurse on this before. She said is possible if i manage to squeeze in depending on when the menses come. Can start prognova after menses come. Need to eat for at least 2 weeks and need to go back and scan. So depending on the lining and etc, need to transfer latest by 23 April (if I am not wrong).

All the best for your blood test tomorrow =]
Thank you! I will ask them tmr as I’m turning 40 this year.. 6 months wait it’s very long and I am worried it will affect my egg reserve as now I am still consider good/ok. I got 15 eggs but retrieved only 9 but out of them 8 fertilized but only 3 make it to day 5 as very good and good quality embryos. So I have 2 frozen only. I hope I am pregnant but no symptoms like swollen breast & swelling now all the effects went off already. Jiayou and thanks for the information!

Did anyone have a chemical pregnancy of 478.9, <6.1? I just got my test yesterday, I’m very happy of coz when Prof told me I’m pregnant but before next Monday blood test he also cannot confirm if this is a chemical pregnancy even he said the blood test looks good. Anyone have any experience on this?
Thank you!

Did anyone have a chemical pregnancy of 478.9, <6.1? I just got my test yesterday, I’m very happy of coz when Prof told me I’m pregnant but before next Monday blood test he also cannot confirm if this is a chemical pregnancy even he said the blood test looks good. Anyone have any experience on this?
Thank you!
Congratulations. Prof is just being careful as first 3 months of pregnancy still contains uncertainty. Thus he doesnt give you a out of woods answer yet, but you have managed to get pregnant is a positive step to achieve to the next stage. Rest well and stay zen.

Congratulations. Prof is just being careful as first 3 months of pregnancy still contains uncertainty. Thus he doesnt give you a out of woods answer yet, but you have managed to get pregnant is a positive step to achieve to the next stage. Rest well and stay zen.
Thank you! I will try to be positive!

Congrats! I have chemical pregnancy twice when my hcg are below 100...so ur figure looks good! Don’t worry! As long as the hcg got double up should be okay!
Thanks @yy116 yes I’m waiting for another blood test on Monday. I will pray hard and be positive.

Thank you!

Congrats! Your hcg level definitely good. My 1st hcg level was only 80 plus, i thought it will be a chemical pregnancy again but prof told me to look on the bright side. So when Prof said is good, mean he's very confident on it :)

Congrats! Your hcg level definitely good. My 1st hcg level was only 80 plus, i thought it will be a chemical pregnancy again but prof told me to look on the bright side. So when Prof said is good, mean he's very confident on it :)
I will just wait for Monday blood test result. I am really hoping that it’s a positive outcome. Thanks for the encouragement @Cmf

Reactions: Cmf
Hi everyone just to share my experience doing IVF with Dr Stephen Chew in NUH. Do note that CHR clinic (IVF clinic) in NUH is currently under reno till mid-Nov 2021.

Basically my #2 IVF cycle was successful and I am now 30 weeks pregnant. Undergone 2 cycles of FET with Dr Chew - was previously diagnosed with PCOS and husband had low sperm motility. When I started IVF, the CHR nurses informed me that Dr Chew ONLY does FET. And I did a brief literature search online that frozen cycles have higher success rate than fresh cycles, so I just went with it. Other than the standard medicated protocol, Dr Chew provided me with supplementary meds (extra charges as they were non-standard prescriptions based on what my body needs) and also supplements including Coq10 and nicotinamide riboside. My husband also took Profertil after my 1st cycle didn't work out. With the combination of good eating habits and ample self-care (including mental self-care), I think all these contributed to my success in my 2nd cycle.

From the start of IVF consultations/tests/procedures to my current prenatal follow-ups with Dr Chew, he has been quite consistent in his communication style and medical advice. I do agree that his consultations are usually short (~10 mins) but looking at how packed the clinic is, I am not surprised that he has to keep each consultation brief. That been said, if you prepare your questions beforehand, you will definitely maximise your time with him in the clinic. He has never once dismissed my questions (including silly ones like e.g. can you eat cordyceps when pregnant) and answered all of them. He has also never hinted that he has no time to listen to questions. Basically he is a man of few words and his advice are always straight to the point and practical. I am very thankful too that he also gave me advice on how to "save money" by avoiding supplements that did not help me.

Personally I feel that all ladies, TTC or currently expecting, should advocate for themselves regardless of whichever doctor you have chose to see. Some doctors are willing to go the extra mile, some do not, but no doctor is perfect. Always approach your consultations with the main objective to advocate for your needs and I believe you'll be fine :)

Shall end here before this post gets too long. Baby dust to all and to expectant mummies - wishing you a smooth delivery !

Hi everyone just to share my experience doing IVF with Dr Stephen Chew in NUH. Do note that CHR clinic (IVF clinic) in NUH is currently under reno till mid-Nov 2021.

Basically my #2 IVF cycle was successful and I am now 30 weeks pregnant. Undergone 2 cycles of FET with Dr Chew - was previously diagnosed with PCOS and husband had low sperm motility. When I started IVF, the CHR nurses informed me that Dr Chew ONLY does FET. And I did a brief literature search online that frozen cycles have higher success rate than fresh cycles, so I just went with it. Other than the standard medicated protocol, Dr Chew provided me with supplementary meds (extra charges as they were non-standard prescriptions based on what my body needs) and also supplements including Coq10 and nicotinamide riboside. My husband also took Profertil after my 1st cycle didn't work out. With the combination of good eating habits and ample self-care (including mental self-care), I think all these contributed to my success in my 2nd cycle.

From the start of IVF consultations/tests/procedures to my current prenatal follow-ups with Dr Chew, he has been quite consistent in his communication style and medical advice. I do agree that his consultations are usually short (~10 mins) but looking at how packed the clinic is, I am not surprised that he has to keep each consultation brief. That been said, if you prepare your questions beforehand, you will definitely maximise your time with him in the clinic. He has never once dismissed my questions (including silly ones like e.g. can you eat cordyceps when pregnant) and answered all of them. He has also never hinted that he has no time to listen to questions. Basically he is a man of few words and his advice are always straight to the point and practical. I am very thankful too that he also gave me advice on how to "save money" by avoiding supplements that did not help me.

Personally I feel that all ladies, TTC or currently expecting, should advocate for themselves regardless of whichever doctor you have chose to see. Some doctors are willing to go the extra mile, some do not, but no doctor is perfect. Always approach your consultations with the main objective to advocate for your needs and I believe you'll be fine :)

Shall end here before this post gets too long. Baby dust to all and to expectant mummies - wishing you a smooth delivery !
Hearty congrats!! Very happy to hear baby announcement news. Just makes my day and gives me a little more hope.

Can you share the supplements which he recommended? Perhaps we can benefit too.

Thanks

Hearty congrats!! Very happy to hear baby announcement news. Just makes my day and gives me a little more hope.

Can you share the supplements which he recommended? Perhaps we can benefit too.

Thanks

Hi I've mentioned in my post - CoQ10 and nicotinamide riboside (also known as Niagen). Please check with your doctor before taking them.

On top of that I was also taking folic acid.

All the best in your TTC journey! Don't give up and focus on your goal

My doctor is Prof Ng Soon Chye. He is very experienced as I know he is the father of the first IVF baby in Southeast Asia. I went to see him at Sincere IVF Center, but I know he also sees patients at Gleneagles Hospital.

I had DAY5 blastocyst transfer. Prof prefers to do blast transfer to achieve a better success rate. I am 33 but I have low AHM, around 1 ng/ml.
Hi
Would you mind sharing the costs of your IVF treatment?
My AMH is also low, and am considering consultation with Prof Ng.
Thanks!

I am currently 33 yo. Recently went with Dr Chew. In the past, I had 2 failed IUIs and 1 successful IVF (4 blastocysts) back in 2019. At that time, I was a subsidised patient. We met Dr Chew occasionally during our appointments (as we had diff doc attending to us being a subsidised patient) but he was not the one doing the egg trf at the end. I had 2 fresh egg trf, with one having assisted hatching. I gave birth to 1 healthy baby boy as a result of that IVF despite transferring 2 eggs.

So this time round, we decided to undergo our 2nd IVF as a private patient, and Dr Chew was the only doc available. We had 2 frozen egg trf.. but none assisted hatching. I did not remember about assisted hatching at all till after the procedure but was too late by then. Dr Chew also did not mentioned anything about that throughout our time with him. Needless to say.. our 2nd IVF is a failure and I have no frozen eggs left.

I did not understand why Dr Chew did not opt for assisted hatching for our 2nd IVF. We had 2 failed IUIs and 1 successful IVF, which PROBABLY has something to do with assisted hatching. No point being angry at anyone now.. but just rmb to consult ur doc about assisted hatching to improve your chances.
Hi! May I tap on your experience. What is the difference in cost between subsidised and non subsidised patient for each IVF cycle?

Back