Ivf at NUH- Prof Wong and Dr Stephen Chew

Is Dr Chew doing ivf now? I am with Prof PC Wong since 2012/13
Hi, thanks for your reply. How do you find prof wong on
1. Ivf stimulation experience
2. Female fertility treatment skills as in if have fabriod and polyps
3. Male fertility

Is his diagnosis from 1st visit to greenlight to dp very long? Wat are e test that he will order besides the normal blood test?

Lastly is he approachable and friendly?

1. He reads your record if that’s important to you. I have seen a famous ivf doc who didn’t do that and issue me stimulation drug, my confidence drop to zero. Different people will give you different thoughts about him but I am comfortable to stay w him so far. He was head ivf in nuh but he has since taken a back role.
2.You will have to access him yourself based on your own condition. make appointment and talk to him.
3. In ivf, ivf doc will tell you male inferility takes a back seat as Long they can get some viable sperms from the hb. It’s ICSI afterall. Male infertility is not looked into much. It has always been the woman and the ivf.:rolleyes: Anyway, if your hb is keen to do something, by all means. If not, it still viable to go ahead. I recently read something about the energy in a woman’s egg is important at the start of fertilisation and the man’s sperm comes a few days later. You can try google and see if that helps answer your question further.

You have to make appointment to see him and discuss and he will order blood test, ovarian reserve, your hormones level, HIV for both of you, your Hb’s sperm analysis. The rest you will know after the test results on timeline. You can ask at that point. Most of the time, the woman don’t start until she feels she is ready to.

Yes he is. He will tell you what’s scientific or not if you like that ;)

Is Dr Chew doing ivf now? I am with Prof PC Wong since 2012/13
Also besides the above query, can i check
1. is he an advocate of frozen or fresh cycle. Or flexible
2. On low amh, does he have any suggestion? Did you managed to increase amh with dhea? I ever tried dhea for 2 months, but ganna polyps and fabriod from dhea years back, though it did improve my amh. Not sure wat is a good way to improve amh. Am 43 yrs

Thanks for your reply!

no lei, for me its male issues causing my failed 3 cycles, often e 10 embries failed at day 3 to stay alive. But then now i am above 40, female become issue also not so many egga liao. Cos my hub got v severe male issue, icsi also is a challenge. I am torn.

I am ok with the blood test, sa. Just wonder if its compulsory for prof to do test like hsg bla bla if its a direct case for icsi, or can skip this hsg.

Now not sure to make appt with him or stephen chew. I never try nuh before yet. Now looking at nuh as got balance subsidy.

Ya female egg energy imp, i read "it starts with the egg" . Have tried ubiquibol years back but result in heavy menses after taking. I think my body v sensistive :/

How e nuh lab, they update u daily on e embries?

I read chr nurse very nice and caring! :) this is imp also in this roller coaster journey

Last edited:
2. On low amh, does he have any suggestion? Did you managed to increase amh with dhea? I ever tried dhea for 2 months, but ganna polyps and fabriod from dhea years back, though it did improve my amh. Not sure wat is a good way to improve amh. Am 43 yrs

1. Definitely fresh cycle. Statistically not much difference in success in fresh or frozen transfer until you have OHSS issue; that’s what he and his nurse told me. I agree with it.
2. I took dhea 3months prior fresh as much as I can after my first fresh failed miserably. It made an impact for me though Prof didn’t really agree so, he didn’t stop me taking me since I order and took it on my own accord.

you can speak to him and see if there is anything else that can help you? Hear what other mummies seeing private ivf gynaes might do and that will add to your knowledge as well. We won’t really know what is the thing that will really help because the process of t trying one thing at a time is just not possible due to time, resource and all. In ivf journey, whatever you want to do except if it involves a medical investigation or procedure, you are free to do so.

Thanks redesk for your advise. Ya we ordered a sa ourself at a lab that accepts no doc sa analysis. Will see e sa see if any viable sperms then will proceed to nuh for co-funding. Ya i am from e forum also years back , e sisters are very nice out there. :) appreciate your inputs today, i wish u all e best! :)

Thanks for your reply!

no lei, for me its male issues causing my failed 3 cycles, often e 10 embries failed at day 3 to stay alive. But then now i am above 40, female become issue also not so many egga liao. Cos my hub got v severe male issue, icsi also is a challenge. I am torn.

I am ok with the blood test, sa. Just wonder if its compulsory for prof to do test like hsg bla bla if its a direct case for icsi, or can skip this hsg.

Now not sure to make appt with him or stephen chew. I never try nuh before yet. Now looking at nuh as got balance subsidy.

Ya female egg energy imp, i read "it starts with the egg" . Have tried ubiquibol years back but result in heavy menses after taking. I think my body v sensistive :/

How e nuh lab, they update u daily on e embries?

I read chr nurse very nice and caring! :) this is imp also in this roller coaster journey

Welcome :)

It’s hard to say whose issues in embryo development. But don’t let this issue brew bad blood between you and hb. Careful on that. This is just a start and when you do conceive, the journey is still Long. When you say embryos fail at day 3, what do you mean? Have you had any transfer done so far? fresh or frozen transfer?

I know of someone who does not have sperm and doc had to extract from the testes. She has a girl in pri now though subsequently they didn’t manage to succeed.

If you have already started ivf, you already bypass them Fallopian tubes hence there is no need for HSG until you want to try naturally. ICSI is the natural cause of action in ivf now. Especially if in your case, you mention the SA isn’t good, no point to go back to the traditional ivf where the eggs are placed on the dish and sperms are left to fertilise the eggs. In ICSI, best looking sperms are injected directly into the eggs to start the fertilisation.

The Subsidy is until what age now? I used all already ha.

How does taking ubiquinol result in heavy menses? How did you link the heavy menses to taking it since it could be a whole range of other factors?

My last fresh is 2yrs ago so I can’t rem in actual but they will call after ER on how many eggs retrieved then how many fertilised, and confirm with you the number to transfer which you would already have agreed on. The day before transfer, they will call and update you on the embryo development too. For frozen they will update when embryo survive the thaw so that you know you can do the transfer the next day. So far, all my embryos have survived thaw with NUH and I can’t be more pleased with that since every embryo is so precious!!

Thanks redesk for your advise. Ya we ordered a sa ourself at a lab that accepts no doc sa analysis. Will see e sa see if any viable sperms then will proceed to nuh for co-funding. Ya i am from e forum also years back , e sisters are very nice out there. :) appreciate your inputs today, i wish u all e best! :)

Not advice la.. just sharing :) as mentioned, if hb is cooperative, he can take supplements and eat healthier. It takes 3months after a change in diet is introduced for any changes to sperm .. the natural cycle. My hb’s SA is not good too. Surprisingly the SA years after the previous was better .. the ivf doc didn’t notice because it’s a small change and I was excitedly pointing that out to the doc haha. My hb not cooperative la.. I just do what I can.. ;)

My hub is coperative in supplement, half corperate on diet. Think men are like this. I buy him supplement 3 months previously , sa many times also same. Along the years condition deteriorate till dead, famous doc shake head n reject our case after i also over 40.

I certainly hope his sa got improvement this rnd, keeping finger cross. But this rnd he supplement 2 weeks nia before our schedule sa.

Anyway, press on till cannot.

hi babe! may i know how long were you on dhea for that caused the polyps and fibroids? i understand that we should not take more than 6 months max.

hi ladies! im with prof wong now after failing 2 fresh cycles with thh at kkh last year... rested for a year (with all the covid).... planning to go for my next fresh this dec in nuh... i have low amh... hoping prof wong can help me but he doesnt seem to say much about low amh. he mentioned ivf is all about luck.

anyone with low amh and succesful with prof wong?

hi ladies! im with prof wong now after failing 2 fresh cycles with thh at kkh last year... rested for a year (with all the covid).... planning to go for my next fresh this dec in nuh... i have low amh... hoping prof wong can help me but he doesnt seem to say much about low amh. he mentioned ivf is all about luck.

have u make appt for consultation? IVF lab will b closed from Feb 2021 to June 2021 for reno...if might not able to make if b4 reno if u have not make any appointment...

have u make appt for consultation? IVF lab will b closed from Feb 2021 to June 2021 for reno...if might not able to make if b4 reno if u have not make any appointment...
hey babe! yes im seeing him coming tuesday for natural letrozole... then dec prolly is the fresh :) youre under prof wong too?

hi babe! may i know how long were you on dhea for that caused the polyps and fibroids? i understand that we should not take more than 6 months max.
Hi, was on dhea for 2 months and at the same time ubiquibol for 3 months. After ganna the fabriods and polyps. I stopped after gotten the foreign growth n heavy menses. After the heavy menses issue was reduced after i stop. I didnt take for 6 months. But some sisters say perhaps dhea thats not the cause. Anyway, for me i feel it is. But maybe thats only me with these issues after taking la

Hi, was on dhea for 2 months and at the same time ubiquibol for 3 months. After ganna the fabriods and polyps. I stopped after gotten the foreign growth n heavy menses. After the heavy menses issue was reduced after i stop. I didnt take for 6 months. But some sisters say perhaps dhea thats not the cause. Anyway, for me i feel it is. But maybe thats only me with these issues after taking la
Wa ok.. maybe its based on individual. I was on it for 6 months, it was ok but the acne and pimples was crazy! Took my so long to stabilise it

Hi how is Prof Wong's protocol? Is it the same as KKH. Im thinking of switching to NUH after 2 failed fresh cycles with KK. Could someone advise pls. With KKH I was given puregon & menpour once a day. Were you given any medication before the start of the cycle to prepare yourself.

Hi how is Prof Wong's protocol? Is it the same as KKH. Im thinking of switching to NUH after 2 failed fresh cycles with KK. Could someone advise pls. With KKH I was given puregon & menpour once a day. Were you given any medication before the start of the cycle to prepare yourself.
i didnt go for prof wong in the end. im with dr yu in sgh. starting fresh next month

I am currently 33 yo. Recently went with Dr Chew. In the past, I had 2 failed IUIs and 1 successful IVF (4 blastocysts) back in 2019. At that time, I was a subsidised patient. We met Dr Chew occasionally during our appointments (as we had diff doc attending to us being a subsidised patient) but he was not the one doing the egg trf at the end. I had 2 fresh egg trf, with one having assisted hatching. I gave birth to 1 healthy baby boy as a result of that IVF despite transferring 2 eggs.

So this time round, we decided to undergo our 2nd IVF as a private patient, and Dr Chew was the only doc available. We had 2 frozen egg trf.. but none assisted hatching. I did not remember about assisted hatching at all till after the procedure but was too late by then. Dr Chew also did not mentioned anything about that throughout our time with him. Needless to say.. our 2nd IVF is a failure and I have no frozen eggs left.

I did not understand why Dr Chew did not opt for assisted hatching for our 2nd IVF. We had 2 failed IUIs and 1 successful IVF, which PROBABLY has something to do with assisted hatching. No point being angry at anyone now.. but just rmb to consult ur doc about assisted hatching to improve your chances.

I am currently 33 yo. Recently went with Dr Chew. In the past, I had 2 failed IUIs and 1 successful IVF (4 blastocysts) back in 2019. At that time, I was a subsidised patient. We met Dr Chew occasionally during our appointments (as we had diff doc attending to us being a subsidised patient) but he was not the one doing the egg trf at the end. I had 2 fresh egg trf, with one having assisted hatching. I gave birth to 1 healthy baby boy as a result of that IVF despite transferring 2 eggs.

So this time round, we decided to undergo our 2nd IVF as a private patient, and Dr Chew was the only doc available. We had 2 frozen egg trf.. but none assisted hatching. I did not remember about assisted hatching at all till after the procedure but was too late by then. Dr Chew also did not mentioned anything about that throughout our time with him. Needless to say.. our 2nd IVF is a failure and I have no frozen eggs left.

I did not understand why Dr Chew did not opt for assisted hatching for our 2nd IVF. We had 2 failed IUIs and 1 successful IVF, which PROBABLY has something to do with assisted hatching. No point being angry at anyone now.. but just rmb to consult ur doc about assisted hatching to improve your chances.
Thanks fr sharing! I’m under PC Wong (recently started stims), I did ask him about assisted hatching when I saw him before stims, but he kept saying it’s up to embryologist decision (eg they monitor the hardness of shell).. sigh. Maybe I just speak to embryologist directly.

Thanks fr sharing! I’m under PC Wong (recently started stims), I did ask him about assisted hatching when I saw him before stims, but he kept saying it’s up to embryologist decision (eg they monitor the hardness of shell).. sigh. Maybe I just speak to embryologist directly.
Are you referring to blastocyst? Mine was frozen on day 3 reason being no. of surviving good quality eggs (3 left). I'm unsure if it applies for all.

Anyone going for IVF for Feb/Mar 2021? Anyone of you actually succeeded with frozen embryo transfer? I can’t do fresh because I am high risk for OHSS....

I am currently under Prof PC Wong as well. He is a very nice man, like others said, a man with few words. But rest assured you are well taken care of under him. I’ve never heard of assisted hatching before!

Me too with Prof Wong! Starting stimms soon

Who decides for the assisted hatching? The doc or embryologist? Will these options be open to use. Never heard of it before.

Im with Dr chew since november and now currently doing IUI #2. We already decided and told him that if this cycle fails then we will proceed with IVF which he said okay. But now Im not sure if we should proceed with him with IVF. I just feel like throughout our visits he seems not approachable?? Or is it just me I dont know. He’s a man of few words I guess.

Hi all,

Just did one ivf frozen cycle with dr chew.. waiting to do transfer with him.. only 1 fertilised☹. He is a man of few words.. during scans, he doesn't tell u how is the stimulation going on and how is your body responding to it UNLESS u ask him.

My case i have endometriosis and I had a 5.08cm cyst on my ovary. He knew about this and didn't wanna do surgery and try this cycle first. As a result, I suffered in alot of pain during the 2 weeks stimulation from all the hormone drugs. I went for second opinion to another gynae and he asked me why wasn't my cyst REMOVED BEFORE starting ivf as this can affect the chances.. and it's causing me so much pain. Thus I have decided to go to another gynae for cyst removal before the transfer....

Dr chew does what he can according to protocol... but he could have advised me better on this cyst issue which caused me alot of pain and I had to take 3 weeks time off work...caused me alot of mental stress

Hi all,

Just did one ivf frozen cycle with dr chew.. waiting to do transfer with him.. only 1 fertilised☹. He is a man of few words.. during scans, he doesn't tell u how is the stimulation going on and how is your body responding to it UNLESS u ask him.

My case i have endometriosis and I had a 5.08cm cyst on my ovary. He knew about this and didn't wanna do surgery and try this cycle first. As a result, I suffered in alot of pain during the 2 weeks stimulation from all the hormone drugs. I went for second opinion to another gynae and he asked me why wasn't my cyst REMOVED BEFORE starting ivf as this can affect the chances.. and it's causing me so much pain. Thus I have decided to go to another gynae for cyst removal before the transfer....

Dr chew does what he can according to protocol... but he could have advised me better on this cyst issue which caused me alot of pain and I had to take 3 weeks time off work...caused me alot of mental stress
Wow. Now this makes me think twice of going with him for my 1st IVF. He’s my dr since last year and I agree he really doesnt explain much unless you ask him and often times Its my husband that ask the questions cos Im a bit shy lol (I provide list of questions to ask) Now Ive been contemplating of changing drs and I will ask during my IVF counselling if prof wong is available.
If you dont mind me asking, how many follicles you had & and how many eggs was retrieve?

Wow. Now this makes me think twice of going with him for my 1st IVF. He’s my dr since last year and I agree he really doesnt explain much unless you ask him and often times Its my husband that ask the questions cos Im a bit shy lol (I provide list of questions to ask) Now Ive been contemplating of changing drs and I will ask during my IVF counselling if prof wong is available.
If you dont mind me asking, how many follicles you had & and how many eggs was retrieve?

Hi, I had many follicles up to 20 before retrieval but for some reason, only 7 retrieved. I woke up in a state of shock when they said only 7. I asked him and he asked my eggs were of poor quality. But I'm only 33 and had been taking coq10 for 4 months before that.. but then till now I don't have a definite ans to this poor quality eggs.

Hi ladies,

Been reading about your exchanges messages about Dr Chew. I've failed 3 transfers with NUH under sub patient and we were with Dr Shakina and Dr Huang. However with no positive result we are thinking of changing doctors. We find that the doctors are just following a specific protocol and not able to customise my condition or order anymore tests to see why we had 3 failed implantation. We thought about switching to private and go with Dr Chew but after reading the above, we are thinking twice. ><

Hi ladies,

Been reading about your exchanges messages about Dr Chew. I've failed 3 transfers with NUH under sub patient and we were with Dr Shakina and Dr Huang. However with no positive result we are thinking of changing doctors. We find that the doctors are just following a specific protocol and not able to customise my condition or order anymore tests to see why we had 3 failed implantation. We thought about switching to private and go with Dr Chew but after reading the above, we are thinking twice. ><
I say my experience with him so far is okay cos weve been with him since emerald clinic cos we are a pte patient and now chr. You just really have to advocate for yourself & ask him questions while consultation because if not, he will just say the necessary stuff and thats it all done in like 10mins or less. I suggest you still make an appt and tell him all your concerns, what you want, and if he can customise a protocol for you since you already failed 3X. And after that you can decide if you want to go with him or not. IVF is expensive esp for me cos Im a foreigner and we dont get much govt funding (my husband is SC) so I try & do my own research & ask questions as much as I can to help me on this TTC journey. But if time/money is not an issue you can also consult other drs and ask for 2nd/3rd opinion. Hope this helps! GL & baby dust!

Hi, I had many follicles up to 20 before retrieval but for some reason, only 7 retrieved. I woke up in a state of shock when they said only 7. I asked him and he asked my eggs were of poor quality. But I'm only 33 and had been taking coq10 for 4 months before that.. but then till now I don't have a definite ans to this poor quality eggs.
How many coq10 were you taking a day? Did he suggest you take them? Cos chr called and he asked one of the nurse to call me and advise me to take coq10 even before my IVF counselling. I was already taking coq10 200mg but this time they advise to take 600mg a day. I supposed its for egg quality. But you were already on it and still yielded bad quality eggs?

Hi ladies,

Hi, you may consider PC Wong (Prof Wong), he's actually the ex-head of dept for ivf but now he have step down, heard he's slowly going for retired, but now he still around. My 1st ivf was under Dr Chew with no success under him. I agree all they have the very standard protocol for almost all ladies. During my 1st FET, I received a very standard protocol, Progynova and crinone gel, normal dosage. As I don't really have a pleasant experience with Dr Chew for my 1st ivf, so during my meeting with the CHR nurse for my FET, I asked whether can request a change to Prof Wong instead. So half way through my medication period, I was transfer to Prof Wong. But my 1st FET was cancelled due to my body not response well to the medicine given. So a total restart with Prof Wong. I have 2 FET under him, 1st ended in Chemical Pregancy and 2nd FET, he increased my dosage and add some medicine to increase the chances and now currently 18 weeks pregnant.

Prof Wong is a very nice doc but a man with few words too. I remember I was suffering bacterial infection before my transfer, I called the nurse, immediately next day he asked me to go down to his clinic n see him. N last year I was pregnant naturally after my egg retrieval, i called them and soon he asked me to visit his clinic and he took me as his patient even though this Pregancy was not conceived under ivf and while I having heavy bleeding during my miscarriage and he still see me eventhough I didn't make any appointment. And my current pregnancy, I'm under him throughout my 1st tris. But too bad, he doesn't do pregnancy delivery anymore. So I have to change to another doc.

Last edited:
Hi, you may consider PC Wong (Prof Wong), he's actually the ex-head of dept for ivf but now he have step down, heard he's slowly going for retired, but now he still around. My 1st ivf was under Dr Chew with no success under him. I agree all they have the very standard protocol for almost all ladies. During my 1st FET, I received a very standard protocol, Progynova and crinone gel, normal dosage. As I don't really have a pleasant experience with Dr Chew for my 1st ivf, so during my meeting with the CHR nurse for my FET, I asked whether can request a change to Prof Wong instead. So half way through my medication period, I was transfer to Prof Wong. But my 1st FET was cancelled due to my body not response well to the medicine given. So a total restart with Prof Wong. I have 2 FET under him, 1st ended in Chemical Pregancy and 2nd FET, he increased my dosage and add some medicine to increase the chances and now currently 18 weeks pregnant.

Prof Wong is a very nice doc but a man with few words too. I remember I was suffering bacterial infection before my transfer, I called the nurse, immediately next day he asked me to go down to his clinic n see him. N last year I was pregnant naturally after my egg retrieval, i called them and soon he asked me to visit his clinic and he took me as his patient even though this Pregancy was not conceived under ivf and while I having heavy bleeding during my miscarriage and he still see me eventhough I didn't make any appointment. And my current pregnancy, I'm under him throughout my 1st tris. But too bad, he doesn't do pregnancy delivery anymore. So I have to change to another doc.

If u dont mind what jabs were u given? and what medicine he gave u to inrease the chances of getting pregnant?

If u dont mind what jabs were u given? and what medicine he gave u to inrease the chances of getting pregnant?

During 1st FET with him. I was given: all to the max dosages
Insert daily: Crinone gal, estrofem

Oral medicine: Progynova, Folic acid

2nd FET (Also Max dosages)

Oral medicine: Progynova, Folic acid and Aspirin.

As for the retrieval of eggs, cos is about more than a year, can't remember much, the only one i can remember was gonal-f, it didn't help much cos I was only able to retrieve very few eggs only. Is only FET increase my chances for pregnancy.

During 1st FET with him. I was given: all to the max dosages

Oral medicine: Progynova, Folic acid

2nd FET (Also Max dosages)

Oral medicine: Progynova, Folic acid and Aspirin.

As for the retrieval of eggs, cos is about more than a year, can't remember much, the only one i can remember was gonal-f, it didn't help much cos I was only able to retrieve very few eggs only. Is only FET increase my chances for pregnancy.
Were you on medicated protocol during your FET? I will be doing my first FET in April. Will be starting Progynova only when I have my new menstrual cycle.

Were you on medicated protocol during your FET? I will be doing my first FET in April. Will be starting Progynova only when I have my new menstrual cycle.
Yes, I'm on medicated protocol. My 1st FET was only given progynova only too... but near to your transfer date, crinone gel will be given. But my body didn't response well to the medicine given, lining didn't meet the requirement. Therefore, the next FET doc adjust the dosages for the medicines to see any improvement

I had my first IVF with Dr Chew last Oct. Only got 3 eggs retrieved and one got fertilized but none survived till day 3. Then at the recommendation of a friend, I switched to Prof. Ng and did my 2nd IVF cycle with Prof in Dec. I got 15 eggs retrieved this time, 11 got fertilised, and got 5 good quality blastocysts frozen. I did my transfer in late Jan and now 8 weeks pregnant. I do feel that finding the right doctor is very important.

I did these two stimulations in just three months, but the results are hugely different. There are definitely a lot of factors affecting the results, however, I believe the stimulation plan by the doctor does matter a lot.

I had my first IVF with Dr Chew last Oct. Only got 3 eggs retrieved and one got fertilized but none survived till day 3. Then at the recommendation of a friend, I switched to Prof. Ng and did my 2nd IVF cycle with Prof in Dec. I got 15 eggs retrieved this time, 11 got fertilised, and got 5 good quality blastocysts frozen. I did my transfer in late Jan and now 8 weeks pregnant. I do feel that finding the right doctor is very important.

I did these two stimulations in just three months, but the results are hugely different. There are definitely a lot of factors affecting the results, however, I believe the stimulation plan by the doctor does matter a lot.
Hi Lyrehcwj,
Congratulations on the pregnancy. Can you please help to advise the full name of Prof. Ng and the hospital where does he practices? What is his waiting time? Did he use blastogen/embryogen for you as there is a drastic difference in both the cycle?

BTW, mind sharing your age? I am 41 (already went through 3 ivf, 4 unsuccessful transfers ).

BTW, mind sharing your age? I am 41 (already went through 3 ivf, 4 unsuccessful transfers ).

My doctor is Prof Ng Soon Chye. He is very experienced as I know he is the father of the first IVF baby in Southeast Asia. I went to see him at Sincere IVF Center, but I know he also sees patients at Gleneagles Hospital.

I had DAY5 blastocyst transfer. Prof prefers to do blast transfer to achieve a better success rate. I am 33 but I have low AHM, around 1 ng/ml.

Hi,

I understand that subsidy patient, we cannot choose our own doctor but the same doctor stick with us during the IVF journey or different doctor will see us everytime we go for review, follicle check (like KKH)?

Is there any chance that if I choose as subsidy patient, Prof Wong will be my IVF doc?

I heard good reviews about him..

Back