Trying to conceive at an unstable job

Xoxo1234

Hi all,

I found this space after researching for guidance on the next step of my life. Hope to receive some positive insight from everyone here. TIA.

I have recently entered into a new job and just passed my probation period. Issue is, my boss had a one to one honest talk with me telling me that I actually barely passed my probation. He had received negative feedback from my mentor/senior (as I am mainly assisting him) and also positive/neutral feedback from other seniors that I am indirectly assisting for. The management hence was deciding on extended my probation period, but after much discussion my boss then decided to pass it with much difficulty.

This incident gave me a huge scare to my current life as it is not uncommon for staff to be fired in my department. I agree I might be slower in learning things as it is a new jobscope which I am not exposed to before but I certainly feel that I am not that worse off to be failing my probation (hence the reason other seniors are willing to speak up for me to my boss). My direct mentor/senior that I am serving is not a very nice person as theres no guidance given and I'm always left to wonder all things on my own.

While I am willing to work hard with the feedback I gathered from my boss, I am not sure if I'll be able to get recognized for my effort (or to catch up) and more importantly be stable enough in this role not to get fired in the near future.

I'm at my early 30s and my plan was to get pregnant soon after joining this company. But with the current job situation now, I am really lost on my baby plans. What if I get pregnant and on the thread of being fired? I'm sure all eyes will be on me now for the next 1 year at least. I'm not sure if I should start looking for other job, get the stability then try for baby.. but this will take some time off my age (yet another concern).

Appreciate all comments and views on how to move on. Thank you all for your time!

2 choices:

1) If u really intend 2 start a family, den look 4 another job

2) If u wanna prove your direct boss wrong, u can stay. However, it wld means not able 2 start a family just yet.

While it is good to plan, sometimes best not to think so much. Now that you are confirmed, it will not be that easy for them to let go of you.

Also do consider worst case scenario, is your partner able to sustain alone if you are out of job for sometime? Otherwise, do you have savings for worst case scenario..

I wanted to start planning once I got things sorted (stable job, PR and etc)..now I have got those sorted but the planning for a kid has not exactly gone as planned given it is not as easy as we think :)

Hi, I was in a similar situation. I procrasted on this issue for so long.. Decided to stayed in the job but delayed my pregnancy for 2 years. I ended up regretting because women child bearing years are limited and now I am stuck in a bigger problem of not able to Conceive naturally, time running out. Remember, every year you delay, your chances and risk are higher.

Just my two cents.

I had similar thoughts the last time too and waited for the right time. But now that I know how hard conceiving was, I wish I had started as soon as possible, and money can be slowly earned back. I guess there's no right time for this...

I have delayed my family planning because of my stressful job. Now I am mid 30s and find it hard to conceive. Hence, I resigned frm my job to get back my healthy lifestyle, tcm and ivf. Not a easy decision but I know I won't regret. You should determine which is more impt to you, is it your job or family planning? Also to discuss with your spouse if he is able to financially support the family if you ar e jobless.

Job is temporary, family is for life. It’s better to go ahead with your life plans than to shelf it aside due to your career. You must always remember, your boss can easily replace you. But your family won’t. And when you are old, you want to be surrounded by your family and not your job.

I was in your position. Just got a job and thinking whether to start a family a not. I went ahead with it. But my boss didn’t fire me.

Back