Pregnant after 35 years old

ycxl

Hi, this is my 2nd pregnancy. I am 38 years old. My first kid born when I was 31 year old.
I didn't went thru additional checking during the 1st pregnancy, maybe because I am still 31 yrs old...

My queries, what are those necessary or compulsory test for a 38 years old pregnant woman? I am target to visit NUH under subsidy patient. Anyone mind to share about your experienced & what I should do / I must do?

I am very concern about my baby health.

Thank you very much.

I'm 38 too. I surrender all to Jesus and let him take charge. I have two kids with me too. Have faith. I am with NUH private patient with Prof Biswas.

Hi, this is my 2nd pregnancy. I am 38 years old. My first kid born when I was 31 year old.
I didn't went thru additional checking during the 1st pregnancy, maybe because I am still 31 yrs old...

My queries, what are those necessary or compulsory test for a 38 years old pregnant woman? I am target to visit NUH under subsidy patient. Anyone mind to share about your experienced & what I should do / I must do?

I am very concern about my baby health.

Thank you very much.

Hello!

I am 38 yo this year too. 1st-time pregnancy, currently at 15 weeks.

Congrats to you first. :) Im a subsided patient with KKH. There are blood tests and scans to be done to determine risk levels for Down Syndrome, T18 & T13 diseases:

1) Commonly known as Oscar test or FTS(First Trimester Screen), this comprises of a ultrasound (can be done from week 11 to 13) and blood test (can be drawn from week 9 to 13).
Rate of detection of the 3 diseases: 90%
A detailed report of foetus' anatomy.
Price of FTS: Affordable w subsidies.

2) Commonly known as Harmony test or NIPT (Noninvasive Prenatal Testing), this is a blood test that only reports about the risk level of the 3 diseases (can be drawn after 10 weeks of pregnancy).
Rate of detection of the 3 diseases: >99%
Price of NIPT: Expensive - generally no subsidy provided.
Able to tell gender if singleton pregnancy.

For me, I opted for FTS and should i be at medium/high risk of the 3 diseases, my next decision would be to do an invasive test. There are 2: Either Amniocentesis (can be done after 16 weeks) or CVS (can be done between 10 to 14 weeks).
Of course, these invasive tests come with a risk of miscarriage. You may goggle more about these two tests.

I didnt procede with either invasive test as my FTS report showed low risk and nasal bones are detected on my fraternal twins. I also trust God, so Im leaving things as it is now until the detailed scan at week 20. So far, my doctor didnt advise me to proceed to invasive test after reading my FTS report and seeing babies' scan photos.

Hope you have had a good glimpse of such testings beyond 35 yo! Haha.

Keep us updated. :)
Cheers.

Hello!

Congrats to you first. :) Im a subsided patient with KKH. There are blood tests and scans to be done to determine risk levels for Down Syndrome, T18 & T13 diseases:

1) Commonly known as Oscar test or FTS(First Trimester Screen), this comprises of a ultrasound (can be done from week 11 to 13) and blood test (can be drawn from week 9 to 13).

2) Commonly known as Harmony test or NIPT (Noninvasive Prenatal Testing), this is a blood test that only reports about the risk level of the 3 diseases (can be drawn after 10 weeks of pregnancy).

For me, I opted for FTS and should i be at medium/high risk of the 3 diseases, my next decision would be to do an invasive test. There are 2: Either Amniocentesis (can be done after 16 weeks) or CVS (can be done between 10 to 14 weeks).
Of course, these invasive tests come with a risk of miscarriage. You may goggle more about these two tests.

I didnt procede with either invasive test as my FTS report showed low risk and nasal bones are detected on my fraternal twins. I also trust God, so Im leaving things as it is now until the detailed scan at week 20. So far, my doctor didnt advise me to proceed to invasive test after reading my FTS report and seeing babies' scan photos.

Cheers.

Hi YL6128,

Thank you so much of your replied. It is so details.

Congratulation to you too, fraternal twins!!!

I got referral letter from polyclinic, I going to KKH in this month.

Let's add oil together :)

Hello!

Cheers.
[/QUO
Hi YL6128,

Thank you so much of your replied. It is so details.

Congratulation to you too, fraternal twins!!!

I got referral letter from polyclinic, I going to KKH in this month.

Let's add oil together :)

Great! Happy for you too. There is a reason from above why your number 2 has arrived after these years.

Yes, jiayou together. :)

Congrats to both YL8128 and ycxl!

I am turning 39 this year n this is my 12th wk this week... hee.
My second child, after 10 years...

Wil be doing harmony test this fri..
Hope bb is developing and growing well n looking fwd to knowing bb's gender...hee

Jia you, ladies!!

Hope bb is developing and growing well n looking fwd to knowing bb's gender...hee

Jia you, ladies!!

Hiyas!
Congrats to you too. :)
Wow. All of you are so brave to go through pregnancy again. Haha.

For me, experiencing 1st pregnancy journey at age 38 is sufficient. Maybe thats why God is so kind to give me 2 and thats it.

All the best for a cleared report soon. :)

Jia you, ladies!!

Congrats to joyousbb!

My next visit also about 10 weeks, but KKH never inform me when to do harmony test.
Do we need to ask Gynae or they will arrange accordingly?

Congrats to joyousbb!

My next visit also about 10 weeks, but KKH never inform me when to do harmony test.
Do we need to ask Gynae or they will arrange accordingly?

How many weeks are you now?
I think at your next consultation, your doctor might send you for blood test & scans, which the scan department is near your consultation clinics.

How many weeks are you now?
I think at your next consultation, your doctor might send you for blood test & scans, which the scan department is near your consultation clinics.

Thanks YL6128:)

Today i am in my 12th weeks.

Yeah, i just went for my appt today n did my panaroma test, HIV test and some other routine blood test:)
Results in 10 days.. pray that i get all clear for bb and should.know the gender

Hiyas!
Congrats to you too. :)
Wow. All of you are so brave to go through pregnancy again. Haha.

For me, experiencing 1st pregnancy journey at age 38 is sufficient. Maybe thats why God is so kind to give me 2 and thats it.

All the best for a cleared report soon. :)
Hihi! Jia you!!

I think it's godwills:)
Affinity and fate.

I waited for 10 years then bb comes again..i am v thankful

Thanks YL6128:)

Today i am in my 12th weeks.

Yeah, i just went for my appt today n did my panaroma test, HIV test and some other routine blood test:)
Results in 10 days.. pray that i get all clear for bb and should.know the gender

Hi joyousbb,
May I know is doctor decide for u which test to go or u opt for panaroma instead of FTS (Oscar)?

Hello!

Cheers.
Hi hi.. I am going 40 this Yr.. Having our 3rd child.. Previous 2 in TMC.. And thinking of going subsidise with kkh.. But not sure yet.. Is it to go to polyclinic to take letter?? Then fix app in kkh? What is the rate for gynea check in kkh??

Hi hi.. I am going 40 this Yr.. Having our 3rd child.. Previous 2 in TMC.. And thinking of going subsidise with kkh.. But not sure yet.. Is it to go to polyclinic to take letter?? Then fix app in kkh? What is the rate for gynea check in kkh??

If go polyclinic is by subsidies route, every time will be seeing different doc, delivery is by midwife or doc who is on duty, cannot choose own doc to deliver unless u upgrade to private.

Yes just walk in to polyclinic to refer u to nuh, kkh or sgh . The polyclinic will make appt on ur behalf. Regarding of the subsidies rate im not sure, perhaps the nurse will inform u when u see doc.

Hi! Congrats on an upcoming new family member. :) You're an experienced mother!

lady081980 has answered to your 2 questions. So yup, that was what I did when I wanted to start IVF in KKH.

Looking at my invoices, the first time and repeated consultation rate was $103 & after govt subsidy, it was $41.

Hope that helps you alittle!
Glad to help you clarify more here, if not, pm me anytime.

Cheers.

Oh ya... and congratz to you on ur twins... double the problem but i believe its double the fun and bliss

if you are above 35, please do yourself a favour and do a NIPT like harmony.

Oscar test is likely to scare you with a high risk (it adjust upwards for age) anyway , just look at all the threads of scared mummies and then you still have to pay for Harmony or worse Amniocentesis.

Unless of course money is really really tight or you never going to abort anyway. But you run the risk of mental torture if the Oscar test is bad but that's often very inaccurate if it flags as high risk.

This 90% is probably a sensitivity test aka if you have a condition it detects correctly as positive 90%.

Even this looks unacceptable for me (10% chance of missing?) but the main problem is it's false positive rate is even worse.

in other words, if it flags you as positive, what's the chance it is wrong ? It's pretty high, so feel free to scare yourself silly when you are asked to go for further test..

Last edited:
Hello!

Cheers.
Thanks for sharing. This helps me to anticipate what’s coming. I am 6 weeks along with my 5th child at the age of 44 so I am feeling a bit apprehensive. My fourth child was born in 2009.

Thanks for sharing. This helps me to anticipate what’s coming. I am 6 weeks along with my 5th child at the age of 44 so I am feeling a bit apprehensive. My fourth child was born in 2009.

Glad to be able to provide some information which I mostly copied from KKH's pamplet!
I would also advise you to do the more expensive blood test which is the Harmony test. I could not do that since my doctor said i am having twins. Makes sense too.

All the best of best to you. ❤

Back