Fish soup stock for babies

Aphrodite0605

Hi mommies,

I made fish soup stock using the styro-packed threadfin (ngor her) heads from NTUC. They are fresh and packed on that very day. Although the resultant stock was clear, there's this fishy smell that I don't like.

Before this, I made fish stock using another type of fish which the uncle from the wet market recommended. Unfortunately, in my haste I forgot to ask the uncle what fish it was (maybe it was kembong or selar fish, can't be sure :p). The stock from this mystery fish smelled much better and didn't have fishy smell. I used the exact same ingredients for both types of fish stock:

Yellow onion
Leek
Carrots
Celery
Ginger

Any mommies care to share how to prepare fish stock? Any other types of fish to use? My LO is coming to 9 months. Any help will be much appreciated :)

I am using threadfin bone rather head. I will tell my regular fish stall to keep the threadfin bones for me.

Hi, what do you use the fish stock for? Boil baby porridge?
Can we use salmon head instead?

Hi, what do you use the fish stock for? Boil baby porridge?
Can we use salmon head instead?
Hi Elm,

Yes I use it to make baby porridge. I did quite a bit of research, and read that it's best to use non oily white fish to prepare fish stock, or the fat content in oily fish like salmon may turn rancid during the long cooking process.

i use veg stock most of the times... sometimes chicken stock but always need to boil at least 6 hours and my baby girl doesn't seem to like it as compared to veg stock.. perhaps she doesn't like oily stuff??

What are the benefits of fish head stock? Can share how you all prepare the stock for porridge? Do you boil a big batch?

What are the benefits of fish head stock? Can share how you all prepare the stock for porridge? Do you boil a big batch?
Fish soup for cooking pasta and instead of cooking porridge with water replace with fish soup.
Yes, I will boil a batch enough to last for a week. I will pack individually in small containers for 1 time usage and freeze them immediaty once cool

Fish soup for cooking pasta and instead of cooking porridge with water replace with fish soup.
Yes, I will boil a batch enough to last for a week. I will pack individually in small containers for 1 time usage and freeze them immediaty once cool
Sounds good. Can you share what else you put with the fish head to boil? Or just fish head alone? Sorry am a first time mum here so don't know much.

Sounds good. Can you share what else you put with the fish head to boil? Or just fish head alone? Sorry am a first time mum here so don't know much.
I used threadfin bones instead of fish head. I will inform in advance to my regular fish stall to keep.
Same as Aphrodite0605, i will boil together with big onion, carrot, celery, corn & little ginger.

i use veg stock most of the times... sometimes chicken stock but always need to boil at least 6 hours and my baby girl doesn't seem to like it as compared to veg stock.. perhaps she doesn't like oily stuff??
Wow 6 hours is so long. I normally boil no longer than 2 hours for my stocks. Which chicken parts did you use?

Thanks for the suggestion :) what do you put in the vege stock?

Do you boil the stock for 2 hours over the stove or slow cooker?
For vege stock I put:
Celery
Yellow onion
Carrots
Leek
Garlic
Bay leaves

I use Tiger thermal pot. Once boiling I will lower the flame to a simmer and skim off the scum before transferring to the insulated pot and let it continue to cook for about an hour. Same cook time for both vege and fish stock. For meat stock I will leave for 1.5-2 hours.

Thank you all for this suggestion for fish stock. Last night I boiled salmon bones + head with celery, carrot, tomato, onion and ginger for 2.5 hours on the stove. Waiting for my girl to try it out today, I hope she will like it :)

I use threadfin and add Ikan bili with few pieces of ginger to get the fish stock. Ikan bilis is gd source of calcium too.

Try this soup recipe!
My children Love it!
It is good fish soup recipe
How To Make Fish Soup - https://club.cooking/recipe/fish-soup/
Fish-soup-prev.jpg

Back