Steriliser - Which brand

Frankie13

Hi all,

Planning to buy a steriliser for the bottles.

Brand in mind:
1. Avent
2. Pigeon

Saw reviews that Avent steriliser always leak at the base.

any recommendation?

Thank you.

Pigeon Avent both works well both no leaks for me, Maybe if you have more budget you can get those UV Steriliser. Comes with drying function too.

i am using a UV steriliser now, previously use a steam sterilizer.

Now i think the UV steriliser is my best investment!

You don't need to remember to empty and add water every time you need to sterilise your bottles or get hurt by the steam vapor when you urgently need a bottle to use.

i am using a UV steriliser now, previously use a steam sterilizer.

Now i think the UV steriliser is my best investment!

You don't need to remember to empty and add water every time you need to sterilise your bottles or get hurt by the steam vapor when you urgently need a bottle to use.

Pardon me if i sound stupid but is UV better than steam? I mean in term of killing the bacteria.
Which brand are you using?

Thanks.

Pardon me if i sound stupid but is UV better than steam? I mean in term of killing the bacteria.
Which brand are you using?

Thanks.

No, its not a stupid qns. I think its a preference issue between UV and steam. I think killing bacteria should work the same? UV kills 99% of the bacteria.

The main difference i feel is:
1. UV requires minimum 30mins to run a cycle of drying and sterilising the bottle so your bottles come out dry and sterilised. Steam wise is much quicker, i think some cycle only need 6-8mins to complete, but your bottles come out wet and hot.

2. Maintenance: U need to empty and top up water every time you use a steam steriliser, you can don't empty like every time la.. but i kena once when i am lazy and i dont sterilise so often so the water become a bit slimy. UV sterilise is basically maintainence free, just wipe once in a while to get rid of the watermarks at the bottom of the machine.

3. Usage: Some toys cannot be sterilised by steam steriliser, i had accidentally melt some teething toys inside, although the teething toy say can sterilised.
UV sterilisers can sterilised anything, even soft toys.

I am using Haenim now, brought during the baby fair at a better rates, around $300.
It is kinda pricey but its a good investment. Regretted never buying it from the start when i had my #1, i only brought this becoz my steam sterilizer spoil and my hub is scared of the hassles of maintaining the steam sterilizers.

No, its not a stupid qns. I think its a preference issue between UV and steam. I think killing bacteria should work the same? UV kills 99% of the bacteria.

The main difference i feel is:
1. UV requires minimum 30mins to run a cycle of drying and sterilising the bottle so your bottles come out dry and sterilised. Steam wise is much quicker, i think some cycle only need 6-8mins to complete, but your bottles come out wet and hot.

2. Maintenance: U need to empty and top up water every time you use a steam steriliser, you can don't empty like every time la.. but i kena once when i am lazy and i dont sterilise so often so the water become a bit slimy. UV sterilise is basically maintainence free, just wipe once in a while to get rid of the watermarks at the bottom of the machine.

3. Usage: Some toys cannot be sterilised by steam steriliser, i had accidentally melt some teething toys inside, although the teething toy say can sterilised.
UV sterilisers can sterilised anything, even soft toys.

I am using Haenim now, brought during the baby fair at a better rates, around $300.
It is kinda pricey but its a good investment. Regretted never buying it from the start when i had my #1, i only brought this becoz my steam sterilizer spoil and my hub is scared of the hassles of maintaining the steam sterilizers.

Hi Sunflower,

I really appreciate your detailed summary.

I believe we know what we want now.

Thank you very much.

Back