Pros and cons of hiring a FDW

mxjw

Hi mummies, I’m looking to hire a FDW. Appreciate if anyone could share with me what are some of the pros and cons of hiring a FDW be it fresh/ex-sin/ex-abroad. Thank you!

My helper is with me for 11 years. Filipino, single n not intended to get married (Even when i gave her permission to find bf) treated her like my younger sister not very bright but hardworking, loves my children and is very loyal. Brought her holidays everywhere we go. She eats on the dinner table with us. She is first time Spore but worked in Saudi for 2 years.
I hired fresh from the bench in maid agency, n sent her back after 4 months she is bright but not loving n does not look out for my children.

I hired fresh married Indonesian before, but her own family problems are more than mine. So she requested to go back after contract finished.

Sometimes just got to give n take, accept her flaws. Sometimes our temper flared, she shouted at me too but just have to accept it’s a fit of anger and move on.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing @Eppy! I grew up with a helper and also had helper at my in laws place too. But this will be the first time I’m hiring helper on my own.

She is fresh sin and so far I’m quite pleased with her from the interview. She is the first helper I interviewed though I’ve went through other biodatas.

Heard horror stories of this generation helpers and can’t help to feel scared too. Wondering when she arrives should I be friendly with her or should I be firm with her. Afraid she takes advantages of my kindness.

I really have no regrets getting a helper. We are lucky to be in a part of a world where we can employ helpers. You may want to get one who has some nursing experience.

Do I tell the agent that I’m finding one with nursing experience? So far those I came across their biodata didn’t have nursing experience but more of hotel and business admin experience instead.

Do I tell the agent that I’m finding one with nursing experience? So far those I came across their biodata didn’t have nursing experience but more of hotel and business admin experience instead.

In my case, I informed d agent of d criteria, n they will source. There r quite a no. of FDW with nursing certificates. However, u will also need 2 note whether these lot of FDW wld prefer 2 look after elderly or babies. I have across a few through interviews dat quit a no. wif nursing certificates actually prefer 2 look after elderly den babies.

Actually I don’t really need the helper to take care of my kids. More of housekeeping and preparing of dinner ingredients. Then I’ll come home to cook. My kids are in full day childcare and I’ll also be home during weekends. Unless their school is closed then the helper have to take care.

I’ve interviewed a fresh helper, but she requested for one off day per month. I told her that I am currently not able to take her cos of work. Will only be free on August, she say that she is willing to wait for me. Seems sincere to work with me.. hopefully no nasty pattern after she’s here.

Actually I don’t really need the helper to take care of my kids. More of housekeeping and preparing of dinner ingredients. Then I’ll come home to cook. My kids are in full day childcare and I’ll also be home during weekends. Unless their school is closed then the helper have to take care.

I’ve interviewed a fresh helper, but she requested for one off day per month. I told her that I am currently not able to take her cos of work. Will only be free on August, she say that she is willing to wait for me. Seems sincere to work with me.. hopefully no nasty pattern after she’s here.

Well... DD is 6 now... n this is my 3rd FDW. I have always gone 4 new or "fresh" FDW, as DH n myself want d FDW 2 do things d way we want. It's easier 2 train them when they r new. Experienced ones usually r used 2 doing d way d previous owners way n sometimes can b difficult 2 re - train.

Just wanna add dat my FDW only help us wif housework n currently learning 2 cook. She doesnt look after my DD, as DH or my mom will b arnd when DD need not go 2 school. Hence, my FDW is quite "relaxed". Having said dat, since she is trained by DH, n he will praise or scold when deemed, she has shown improvement in just 3 mths. Now while her English is still "okie" she will seek clarifications or questions when she doesnt really understand. Both DH n myself feel dat this is something dat we like about her.

So u have found one FDW dat u like? Is she in S'pore? It will take some time 4 her 2 come as FDW, wif medical, MOM training, etc. Also if she is new, she will have 5-6 mths where she will not b entitled any off days since she is "clearing" her loan. Hence, if u think she is suitable 4 u, u can still proceed to process her 2 come over.

Well... DD is 6 now... n this is my 3rd FDW. I have always gone 4 new or "fresh" FDW, as DH n myself want d FDW 2 do things d way we want. It's easier 2 train them when they r new. Experienced ones usually r used 2 doing d way d previous owners way n sometimes can b difficult 2 re - train.

Just wanna add dat my FDW only help us wif housework n currently learning 2 cook. She doesnt look after my DD, as DH or my mom will b arnd when DD need not go 2 school. Hence, my FDW is quite "relaxed". Having said dat, since she is trained by DH, n he will praise or scold when deemed, she has shown improvement in just 3 mths. Now while her English is still "okie" she will seek clarifications or questions when she doesnt really understand. Both DH n myself feel dat this is something dat we like about her.

So u have found one FDW dat u like? Is she in S'pore? It will take some time 4 her 2 come as FDW, wif medical, MOM training, etc. Also if she is new, she will have 5-6 mths where she will not b entitled any off days since she is "clearing" her loan. Hence, if u think she is suitable 4 u, u can still proceed to process her 2 come over.

Is helper not supposed to have off days when they are clearing her loan? I will be processing soon but she will only come in August due to my work commitments.

Is helper not supposed to have off days when they are clearing her loan? I will be processing soon but she will only come in August due to my work commitments.

I was told they will only have off days after they have cleared their loans. Hence, tot u could still get d helper u want 2 come since she wont b able 2 have off days till her loan is cleared. Btw... is d helper u identified an ex- Sing?

I was told they will only have off days after they have cleared their loans. Hence, tot u could still get d helper u want 2 come since she wont b able 2 have off days till her loan is cleared. Btw... is d helper u identified an ex- Sing?

Okok! Thanks for the info! She is not an ex-sg, she is a fresh sin but have experience back in her country.

hihi I m thinking of getting a helper to look after my mom who is 84 yrs old. Can share with me which agency or how do you get your helper? Btw I am new and have never employ one before.
Thanks in advance

hihi I m thinking of getting a helper to look after my mom who is 84 yrs old. Can share with me which agency or how do you get your helper? Btw I am new and have never employ one before.
Thanks in advance

Actually it's really luck when it comes 2 agency... or helper... So far thu, my experience wif d agency dat i m using is okie. However, my cousin who used d same agency found a maid who wasnt dat "gd"

I can only say sometimes it's really how we train d helper... it always take 2 to clap. I had 2 change mine cos she was preggy.. found out dat she was preggy when she came... found out during her 1st 6mth medical check up... no choice... sent her back...

In your case, does your mom needs a helper wif experience or either u or your mom can train?

Back