Regarding allowance and expenses

Jel1992

Hi all, aside from the monthly allowance that you give to your parents, do you still continue to chip in for the expenses? My siblings are not married and currently staying with my parents and the expenses include car loan, car insurance and utility bills which constitute to 40% of my take home pay. What's more every month I have to transfer another 50% of my take home pay to my son CDA and joint account with my husband, I feel like I'm getting poorer and poorer but not sure shld I just save on my own first because I have done some calculations and at least I have buffer however am lost here so need some advice.

Last edited:
For myself, I only give allowances to my wife and my mum.
I don't give to my siblings even they are not working.

Same goes for my wife, she only give allowances to her parents.

We both do have a joint account for savings as well. Other than that, savings of our own too

You shouldn't need to contribute to the expenses. Your siblings are living there they should be contributing fully for the expenses, esp if they are already working.

Appreciate it may be a difficult conversation, but it must be done else you are just suffering silently. Hope your siblings are not unreasonable.

TS,
That depend on how you both work out already.
Different family have different savings/expense plan.
Eg, for me, my hubby and I had a joint account. As he earn more than me, so he chip in more than me. Like I $500, he $800 that kind. This expenses are used for family household stuff/expenses. I myself of course have some personal savings (just in case for emergency usage). And I do give my parents some allowance as well. If they want to use it to support my siblings, then is up to them.
But for sure I wont give extra cents to them if they required more, or to my siblings.

I understand you, because 2 years ago my family has paid the largest part of their income on insurances and other things, especially on car insurance. If you want to make economy, change your car insurance company, because they take big amounts of money. Personally I use services of Motor Trade Insurance, because their services are really cheap. Furthermore, once I had a car accident, where I broke my arm, and this company paid me compensation for my treatment, in other words, it has replaced me my health insurance )

More like you are promoting insurance rather than giving advices...

Back