IUI/SO-IUI: Anyone?

After IUI, can we still have normal sexual intercourse? As it is advise by nurse and ask me to avoid. But i google it mentioned we still have intercourse after IUI. Any advise?

After IUI, can we still have normal sexual intercourse? As it is advise by nurse and ask me to avoid. But i google it mentioned we still have intercourse after IUI. Any advise?
au

My doctor encouraged me to have sex after IUI . There is no harm to it.

Today
I used to have cramping around 6dpiui in my last 2 unsuccessful cycle. I just don't feel confident. I just go with the flow. u take care too.

Today is my 6dpiui and I'm cramping :( just like how i usually start cramping one week before my period start. I don't feel confident too. I'm so afraid of the menstrual cramps tt come w the period if this round fail > <

The follicle was at the right size, just that it was at the blocked tube side. so gynae advised not to waste the money on IUI if we know the one and only chance is at the blocked tube. Oh wells, hopefully better luck in july☺️
Wld we get to know which side of the tube the eggs are from? Im asking bcos i will be embarking on soiui in kkh soon. Previously i got ectopic (natural ttc) on left tube. My tubes r still intact n according to the hsg dye test, are patent
But i feel that the left tube seems weaker given that the ectopic happened on the left and the dye travelled slower on e left..

Wld we get to know which side of the tube the eggs are from? Im asking bcos i will be embarking on soiui in kkh soon. Previously i got ectopic (natural ttc) on left tube. My tubes r still intact n according to the hsg dye test, are patent
But i feel that the left tube seems weaker given that the ectopic happened on the left and the dye travelled slower on e left..
U will go for follicle tracking (transvaginal ultrasound) ) when ur taking the medicines and the doctor would inform you the location of the dominant follicle/ follicles in the ovaries. Wish you all the best.

How are u durkz? Any feeling?

I had some cramps on dpiui5 and 6, diarrhea on dpiui. Today dpiui8 not much cramps just feeling so bloated.. The bloated tummy never subside after stopping the puregon injections and doing IUI..

I had some cramps on dpiui5 and 6, diarrhea on dpiui. Today dpiui8 not much cramps just feeling so bloated.. The bloated tummy never subside after stopping the puregon injections and doing IUI..

Hi,on 8dpiui i had very bad cramps .Then on 9dpiui not much . Last night, i had bad cramps for 5 mins. Today (11dpui), no cramps jus feel my breasts ache when i touch them. I jus feel that my AF is going to come.

I always have bloated tummy during the TWW. Another 3 days to go for me.

Hi Ttc ttc, my 3rd iui has also failed. My AF came 4 days ago. Hope that you fine.

Big hugs durkz. It's a long journey ttc but if we never give up, we will get to hold our little one one day. Take a good break and jiayou again k? Is IVF the next step for you?

I'm at 13dpiui / 12dpo today. Tested this morn and was a bfn, but I'm still holding on to hope as long as AF doesn't arrive >.< I still have some cramps on and off, but the sore boobs tt came w taking the progesterone tablets are subsiding. So it doesn't look good..

Big hugs durkz. It's a long journey ttc but if we never give up, we will get to hold our little one one day. Take a good break and jiayou again k? Is IVF the next step for you?

I'm at 13dpiui / 12dpo today. Tested this morn and was a bfn, but I'm still holding on to hope as long as AF doesn't arrive >.< I still have some cramps on and off, but the sore boobs tt came w taking the progesterone tablets are subsiding. So it doesn't look good..

Hi Ttc ttc, i just went for IVF counselling 2 days back. I had a very bad encounter with the counselling nurse. I just keep quiet when she said " IT IS HARD TO HAVE A BABY ?" when she knew that i went for an expensive blood test on that day. She changed her approach towards me when i told her i am a healthcare worker and i do counselling too. My husband was laughing at me after the session .

i will wait for the blood result, if it is normal then i will be going for ivf in dec.
In the meanwhile, i prepare my body.

Stay positive,it might be too early.. :)
Durkz,yup mine too always thin.. i have went to tcm she mentioned red dates and red beans.. maybe next cycle can start taking from day1..

Im gonna explore ivf soon.. but now see tcm to build up body first :(

Hi Jazz123, i normally take red bean soup, raspberry leaf tea and pomegranate juice. All the best for ur coming cycle.

Hi everyone! Newbie here!

Just wanted to share that I'm also planning to do IUI! I have endometriosis (first diagnosed in 2004 and removed a cyst at right ovary) and last year they found a new cyst on the left ovary and my uterus is currently swollen too due to the endo. I will be undergoing surgery soon to get it removed.

Does anyone here have experience with getting preggy with endo using IUI and also husband sperm is of very bad quality? Based on what I read on forums, sounds like bad sperm quality means cannot do IUI and only can do IVF?

Just wanted to share that I'm also planning to do IUI! I have endometriosis (first diagnosed in 2004 and removed a cyst at right ovary) and last year they found a new cyst on the left ovary and my uterus is currently swollen too due to the endo. I will be undergoing surgery soon to get it removed.

Does anyone here have experience with getting preggy with endo using IUI and also husband sperm is of very bad quality? Based on what I read on forums, sounds like bad sperm quality means cannot do IUI and only can do IVF?

Hello. Similar but not exact situation here. Did you decide to remove the cyst by choice or as advised by doctor due to size of cyst? I have been advised not to since mine is <5cm. I am still going through some tests before d

Hello. Similar but not exact situation here. Did you decide to remove the cyst by choice or as advised by doctor due to size of cyst? I have been advised not to since mine is <5cm. I am still going through some tests before d

Hi Diyana! Advised to by Dr. He says because my uterus is swollen, hard for embryo to implant also. So he suggested I consider to go remove the cyst and try cleanup as much endo left inside and then try to conceive within 6 months.

Oh and the cyst was found last year July by another gynae and it was 1.9cm, so that gynae advised I try naturally first. Tried for a year and still no luck. My CA125 was also higher this year than last. So went to see a fertility gynae this year which has experience in endometriosis. My cyst is now 2.5cm.

Both hub and I decided to proceed with the op considering I am having spotting before and after period all the way till my next period comes. Initially I did not spot for more than 2 days after period. But in past 3 months my spot lasted minimum 7 days and this month I'm on cycle day 19 but still spotting...So my present situation also is freaking me out :( We are doing this not only for baby plans but mainly for my health.

What tests are you currently going through? Mind sharing? :)

Hi Diyana! Advised to by Dr. He says because my uterus is swollen, hard for embryo to implant also. So he suggested I consider to go remove the cyst and try cleanup as much endo left inside and then try to conceive within 6 months.

Oh and the cyst was found last year July by another gynae and it was 1.9cm, so that gynae advised I try naturally first. Tried for a year and still no luck. My CA125 was also higher this year than last. So went to see a fertility gynae this year which has experience in endometriosis. My cyst is now 2.5cm.

Both hub and I decided to proceed with the op considering I am having spotting before and after period all the way till my next period comes. Initially I did not spot for more than 2 days after period. But in past 3 months my spot lasted minimum 7 days and this month I'm on cycle day 19 but still spotting...So my present situation also is freaking me out :( We are doing this not only for baby plans but mainly for my health.

What tests are you currently going through? Mind sharing? :)

Hi babymonster, I totally gave my name away instead of a pseudonym haha.

I had spotting too like yours from day 14 for about a week and was told that it was an intermenstrual bleeding. I was not too comfortable and seeked 2nd opinion. The other doc performed a hysteroscopy and dillation and curretage to discover some polys which was removed. Since then my bleeding stopped (except during period). Have been told to try naturally for 6 mths.

In between I went back to the first doctor since I kept the appt anw and since it has been established that I have endo cysts, sent me for a tcs scan to check on my tubes. Am awaiting for my review now.

Separately I did seek tcm where I was advised against taking anything cold and was prescribed some herbal drinks. The cysts did shrink although negligibly.

I know that feeling of constant anxiety, its quite nice to see a local forum on this subject to draw experience.

Last edited:
Hi Ttc ttc, i just went for IVF counselling 2 days back. I had a very bad encounter with the counselling nurse. I just keep quiet when she said " IT IS HARD TO HAVE A BABY ?" when she knew that i went for an expensive blood test on that day. She changed her approach towards me when i told her i am a healthcare worker and i do counselling too. My husband was laughing at me after the session .

i will wait for the blood result, if it is normal then i will be going for ivf in dec.
In the meanwhile, i prepare my body.

Hi durkz, maybe she's trying to caution against the difficulties of ivf so tt u can be mentally prepared, but still, she could have been wiser in her choice of words > < we have enuff of negativity in our own thoughts already. We dun need more, especially from a counselling nurse.

Yep since the chances of conceiving thru IVF is much higher than IUI, perhaps this is really wad is gonna give u that positive result.

As today is my 15dpiui or 14dpo, and AF hasn't arrived, i tested using a cheap hpt (supposedly able to detect 10mIU/ml) and got a faint second line. My blood test is next Monday. Crossing my fingers that this is it. Will update again!! > <

Wah.. tats good!! update us.. so happy for u! Which dr u went to? Kkh? not sure if i should go for another round of iui.. so lost...

Yup KKH.. For the consultation before IUI, i was seeing Dr Sheila Loh. But once the IUI process start, it was the on duty doctors who reviewed the scans and ordered the ovidrel trigger and IUI procedure... Yes will update on Monday!

Dont worry try to relax.. i read somewhere to eat egg white everyday will help in the growth.. Wah.. seems like waiting time quite long.. Think i shall stick to private coz it seems the price about the same.. so your expected IUi is early next week? that time when I'm on med.. i use opk is all positive for many days.. not sure why..
The medicines give you a false positive opk when taking the meds!

Hi durkz, maybe she's trying to caution against the difficulties of ivf so tt u can be mentally prepared, but still, she could have been wiser in her choice of words > < we have enuff of negativity in our own thoughts already. We dun need more, especially from a counselling nurse.

Yep since the chances of conceiving thru IVF is much higher than IUI, perhaps this is really wad is gonna give u that positive result.

As today is my 15dpiui or 14dpo, and AF hasn't arrived, i tested using a cheap hpt (supposedly able to detect 10mIU/ml) and got a faint second line. My blood test is next Monday. Crossing my fingers that this is it. Will update again!! > <

Hi Ttc ttc, i am so happy for you. U take care. :)

Hey durkz, which hosp did u go to?i am considering ivf too.. but not sure if public hospital will be long queue.. sigh no time to waste .. T_T sometimes just feel like giving up

Hi Jazz123, i went to NUH under private. So far i know, i can choose any slots i wan after the doc told me to proceed with IVF
( earliest slot is DEC) . I not sure about the subsided side.

Do not gave up. I know it will be a stressful journey , just go with the flow.

Hi babymonster, I totally gave my name away instead of a pseudonym haha.

I had spotting too like yours from day 14 for about a week and was told that it was an intermenstrual bleeding. I was not too comfortable and seeked 2nd opinion. The other doc performed a hysteroscopy and dillation and curretage to discover some polys which was removed. Since then my bleeding stopped (except during period). Have been told to try naturally for 6 mths.

In between I went back to the first doctor since I kept the appt anw and since it has been established that I have endo cysts, sent me for a tcs scan to check on my tubes. Am awaiting for my review now.

Separately I did seek tcm where I was advised against taking anything cold and was prescribed some herbal drinks. The cysts did shrink although negligibly.

I know that feeling of constant anxiety, its quite nice to see a local forum on this subject to draw experience.
Wow it seems like perhaps women with endometriosis have "cold body" in the TCM term? Because Im seeing TCM too at EYS Paragon and the TCM mentioned that my body is too cold and prescribed me with herbs too.

I have not tested my tubes yet, which is what I'm concerned about. If its blocked, no point doing anything really.

Have you gotten the results yet?

Hey durkz, which hosp did u go to?i am considering ivf too.. but not sure if public hospital will be long queue.. sigh no time to waste .. T_T sometimes just feel like giving up
Hi Jazz, I have the same thoughts as you. I always feel like every month past is time gone. I have not tried IUI but will try after my surgery.

Most importantly is not to give up. I know its hard. I've also been thru spells of having my colleague who was TTC same time as me, announce on her instagram 6 months later that she is 3 months along. I remember crying the moment I saw her post. Stay strong as you are not alone in this. We are all cheering for one another to have a rainbow baby :)

Today was 18dpiui. I went for beta hcg blood test and confirmed pregnancy with 573.1 iu/L~ Nurse said anything above 250 is indicative of pregnancy. I'm to continue with the duphaston two times a day. Read online that the hcg figure supposed to double every two days, otherwise may mean miscarriage. A lot of worries. First scan and doctor review arranged one week later. I'm happy and know that i'm super lucky.. but I'm aware the risk is high in the first trimester so I'm being cautious too.. Hopefully it turns out ok.. Total bill for SO-IUI came up to $2,265.12.

Wow it seems like perhaps women with endometriosis have "cold body" in the TCM term? Because Im seeing TCM too at EYS Paragon and the TCM mentioned that my body is too cold and prescribed me with herbs too.

I have not tested my tubes yet, which is what I'm concerned about. If its blocked, no point doing anything really.

Have you gotten the results yet?

Yes, I went to TCM EYS too at Paragon with Dr Zhong Xi Ming. But I just had one cycle of the herbs worth 18 days. Have not returned since. I think it works, just that its 'slow' as my doctor puts it.

My right tube is blocked which unfortunately not where my cyst is. So its pointless to go for an iui. But doctor did mention that it could be a spasm/or adhesions. An xray (hsg) at a later time would confirm.

Meantime I am put on visanne for 3 mths to hopefully shrink the cysts, this will shut my ovulation. After the course will I then be trying agai for 3-6mths. Subsequently the next step would then be a keyhole surgery to remove the cysts and scars from endo. I have heard many success stories for pregnancy post surgery, but then again its 50-50.

Hi Jazz, I have the same thoughts as you. I always feel like every month past is time gone. I have not tried IUI but will try after my surgery.

Most importantly is not to give up. I know its hard. I've also been thru spells of having my colleague who was TTC same time as me, announce on her instagram 6 months later that she is 3 months along. I remember crying the moment I saw her post. Stay strong as you are not alone in this. We are all cheering for one another to have a rainbow baby :)

I am feeling the exact same sentiments. I think its harder w a collegue that falls pregnant especially when you see her everyday as opposed to your extended family. I have pretty much lost of how many times I have cried too while being on this journey. I hope we all get through this with the support of our loved ones.

Today was 18dpiui. I went for beta hcg blood test and confirmed pregnancy with 573.1 iu/L~ Nurse said anything above 250 is indicative of pregnancy. I'm to continue with the duphaston two times a day. Read online that the hcg figure supposed to double every two days, otherwise may mean miscarriage. A lot of worries. First scan and doctor review arranged one week later. I'm happy and know that i'm super lucky.. but I'm aware the risk is high in the first trimester so I'm being cautious too.. Hopefully it turns out ok.. Total bill for SO-IUI came up to $2,265.12.
Congratulations!!! I just did my insemination yesterday... Hopefully i can get a positive....

Omg Congratulations! May I know where you did your IUI and what does the total bill comprise of?

Yeah.. lets not stress too much ans not be affected by all these insta post.. haha if not will drive us crazy.. Hubb says to try 1 more round of iui next mth..gonna call up my doc once AF is here..
Good luck Jazz! I'm waiting for AF because I can only do surgery after AF is done. For the first time I'm looking forward to AF..

Yes, I went to TCM EYS too at Paragon with Dr Zhong Xi Ming. But I just had one cycle of the herbs worth 18 days. Have not returned since. I think it works, just that its 'slow' as my doctor puts it.

My right tube is blocked which unfortunately not where my cyst is. So its pointless to go for an iui. But doctor did mention that it could be a spasm/or adhesions. An xray (hsg) at a later time would confirm.

Meantime I am put on visanne for 3 mths to hopefully shrink the cysts, this will shut my ovulation. After the course will I then be trying agai for 3-6mths. Subsequently the next step would then be a keyhole surgery to remove the cysts and scars from endo. I have heard many success stories for pregnancy post surgery, but then again its 50-50.
Hi Diyana, So does that mean you will be on 3 months visanne and after that you can start to try for baby? Will you be trying naturally or via IUI/IVF?

Hi babymonsta. Try naturally after visanne. Before a surgery as next steps. Or IVF if I decline surgery.

Which hospital are you seeing for your treatment and how old are you if dont mind sharing?

Hi babymonsta. Try naturally after visanne. Before a surgery as next steps. Or IVF if I decline surgery.

Which hospital are you seeing for your treatment and how old are you if dont mind sharing?
Hi Diyana! I'm 32 this year. Seeing private (Dr Fong Yang) at Mount E Novena. Reason not going to public is because I didn't wanna wait. But kinda pricey!

Current gynae plan for me is go surgery to remove cyst (2.5cm) and as much endo he can, plus he suspect I have polyps because I am having spotting after period for so long (today is cycle day 24 but still spotting!) so he will be removing the polyps also if any. After surgery, gotta take injection once a month for 2 months to reduce the womb swelling then only can start TTC.

Since I don't wanna wait by doing natural, I will try IUI first for 3 cycles, then only IVF.

Hi Diyana! I'm 32 this year. Seeing private (Dr Fong Yang) at Mount E Novena. Reason not going to public is because I didn't wanna wait. But kinda pricey!

Current gynae plan for me is go surgery to remove cyst (2.5cm) and as much endo he can, plus he suspect I have polyps because I am having spotting after period for so long (today is cycle day 24 but still spotting!) so he will be removing the polyps also if any. After surgery, gotta take injection once a month for 2 months to reduce the womb swelling then only can start TTC.

Since I don't wanna wait by doing natural, I will try IUI first for 3 cycles, then only IVF.

Hi babymonsta. It does sound like we are in a very similar situation. I removed my polyps in Mount E too and I must agree that it was sorted very quickly, in a month tops. That day surgery costs 7k. I removed some 5 to 6 polyps. I do hope your bleeding subsides with the impending surgery. It has been 4 mths since but I still experience all the pain associated with endometriosis. I am not too sure if its actually less so now or that my threshold for pain has increased. Do you experience the various referred pain w endometriosis?

The doctor did present me with the surgery as an option but I am not feeling prepared yet (because we only started trying after the removal of polyps) but acknowledge that its my next course of plan should I fail to conceive when I am off visanne.

Its just troubling that this happens just when we decide to have a baby. I hope we could get past this and one day carry our very own little one.

Omg Congratulations! May I know where you did your IUI and what does the total bill comprise of?
I did my SO-IUI at KKH IVF centre. You can read my posts in the previous few pages! The bill comprise of the IUI procedure, ultrasound scans and the medication (puregon 3 boxes and ovidrel trigger).. The price varies depending on the number of puregon prescribed cuz tts the expensive part.. Number of scans doesnt change the bill..

Congrats. :) Do not not worry so much. All the best :).

Hi babymonsta. It does sound like we are in a very similar situation. I removed my polyps in Mount E too and I must agree that it was sorted very quickly, in a month tops. That day surgery costs 7k. I removed some 5 to 6 polyps. I do hope your bleeding subsides with the impending surgery. It has been 4 mths since but I still experience all the pain associated with endometriosis. I am not too sure if its actually less so now or that my threshold for pain has increased. Do you experience the various referred pain w endometriosis?

The doctor did present me with the surgery as an option but I am not feeling prepared yet (because we only started trying after the removal of polyps) but acknowledge that its my next course of plan should I fail to conceive when I am off visanne.

Its just troubling that this happens just when we decide to have a baby. I hope we could get past this and one day carry our very own little one.
Hi Diyana! In the pain department, I had severe period cramps in the past few months that lying/sitting/standing didn't help so I was basically in pain constantly and having sex is always painful.

However back then when I had my cysts removed in 2004, I was clear for 14 years and had no pain nor spotting during AF. Not sure if the cysts played a part in causing the pain? I did not have polyps back in 2004 though. Only recently I was diagnosed with it.

Did you set a timeframe on how long you plan to try before considering surgery? I know its scary, I feel it too. But gynae said I can't even do IVF based on present condition, so advised me to get my insides cleaned up. That's why me and hubby decided to go ahead with it.

I did my SO-IUI at KKH IVF centre. You can read my posts in the previous few pages! The bill comprise of the IUI procedure, ultrasound scans and the medication (puregon 3 boxes and ovidrel trigger).. The price varies depending on the number of puregon prescribed cuz tts the expensive part.. Number of scans doesnt change the bill..
Hi TTC! Went through your previous posts.. is this your 1st try of IUI? I didn't think there was any injectables for IUI, I thought only IVF had them?

Hi babymonsta. So that said the cyst did recur but 14 years is a pretty long time. I do know some people who have done 3 rounds of keyhole due to these annoying cysts.

I do share the same symtoms like bad cramps even on days when I am not having my period. I count myself lucky if I get by pain free. Sex too has been painful and I always thought I am not doing it right.

My visanne will end by 27 Jan and I beliebe doctor will give me 3-6 mths of trying before the surgery. I guess this also depends on my scan after I am off visanne as I have a review scheduled. Either way my deadline is June/July next year. I have this nagging fear if that is considered too late.

Hi babymonsta. So that said the cyst did recur but 14 years is a pretty long time. I do know some people who have done 3 rounds of keyhole due to these annoying cysts.

I do share the same symtoms like bad cramps even on days when I am not having my period. I count myself lucky if I get by pain free. Sex too has been painful and I always thought I am not doing it right.

My visanne will end by 27 Jan and I beliebe doctor will give me 3-6 mths of trying before the surgery. I guess this also depends on my scan after I am off visanne as I have a review scheduled. Either way my deadline is June/July next year. I have this nagging fear if that is considered too late.
Hi Diyana, I pm-ed you!

Hi TTC! Went through your previous posts.. is this your 1st try of IUI? I didn't think there was any injectables for IUI, I thought only IVF had them?

Hi babymonsta! I think there is SO-IUI (which involves stimulating the ovaries with puregon/gonal-F so tt we release more than 1 egg during ovulation) as well as IUI (which may involve oral medication like clomid - also helps release more egg but may thin the lining). The chances of success is higher for SO-IUI (15-20%) compared to just IUI (maybe 10% or less if i recall correctly).. I went for SO-IUI.. What the doctor wants to see in SO-IUI before ovulation is around 2-3 mature eggs but not more than that, else there's risk of high multiples.. Whereas in IVF the more mature eggs the better so that they can retrieve for fertililization. Hence higher dosage of the injections and risk of OHSS in IVF.. I find the injections v manageable and vv minimal pain.. Its just the bloatedness which i can imagine wld be worse for IVF ladies..

Yep this my first try of SO-IUI..

Hi babymonsta! I think there is SO-IUI (which involves stimulating the ovaries with puregon/gonal-F so tt we release more than 1 egg during ovulation) as well as IUI (which may involve oral medication like clomid - also helps release more egg but may thin the lining). The chances of success is higher for SO-IUI (15-20%) compared to just IUI (maybe 10% or less if i recall correctly).. I went for SO-IUI.. What the doctor wants to see in SO-IUI before ovulation is around 2-3 mature eggs but not more than that, else there's risk of high multiples.. Whereas in IVF the more mature eggs the better so that they can retrieve for fertililization. Hence higher dosage of the injections and risk of OHSS in IVF.. I find the injections v manageable and vv minimal pain.. Its just the bloatedness which i can imagine wld be worse for IVF ladies..

Yep this my first try of SO-IUI..
Wow congrats ttc! Hopefully on my first try I get a BFP too!

Back