Jobless after coming back from maternity leave..

caramelynn

Hi fellow mums,

Not sure where to start.. but I want to check if anyone have managed to find new jobs while they are still pumping milk?

I’ve just been dismissed by my boss after coming back from maternity for 3 weeks.. reason was just because the company can no longer carry on with me.. I didn’t ask for additional reason as I was in shocked and being a first time mum, there’s so many thoughts in mind already about leaving kid at home and dealing with supplying enough breast milk just to feed baby..

My boss is a male, and he's not been too pleased about my pregnacy previously when I broke the news.. Reason was probably cos I am in the sales line, so he felt that due to my pregnancy, the work i do will be more limited..

So after coming back to work, I am still pumping milk around 3 times a day.. (working hours is 830 to 630pm) so in a way it's time wasted on his part.. boss is very goal oriented.. so these pumping session that I need to do seems to be a waste of precious time to the company..

I’ve tried searching for help or forums but none have addressed such encounter.. those that I found was about dismissal DURING maternity.. not after.. and only organisations who are looking for mums who have left their job previously to head back to work..

And when I tried to find if company accepts mums who pump milk, there’s only those mother friendly company who are accepting of existing staff who become new mums..

How about successful cases of mums who are still pumping their milk and managed to get a new job?

Anyone here faced similar situation before?

Thank you.

i don't think pumping is a criteria for a company to take in any staff. mostly depends on resume, work experience. of course, some bosses don't like staff with family, because they think we cannot commit as much.

do u pump 3 times in office during work hours? maybe u can try once or twice? i was in sales too. i pumped before i go to work and pumped once during my lunch time. i had quick lunch mostly in office so i can clear my work.

maybe is not because of the pumping? if u can get the real reason, it will help u in moving on and coping with being new mum and work life.

meanwhile, don't stress. if ur don't have enough milk, u can always supplement with formula milk. bb needs u more than ur milk.

are u a singaporean ? if u r, you can approach MOM and the union to see how you can rectify this problem.

u might still lose your job but at least can ask for some compensation.

i don't think pumping is a criteria for a company to take in any staff. mostly depends on resume, work experience. of course, some bosses don't like staff with family, because they think we cannot commit as much.

do u pump 3 times in office during work hours? maybe u can try once or twice? i was in sales too. i pumped before i go to work and pumped once during my lunch time. i had quick lunch mostly in office so i can clear my work.

maybe is not because of the pumping? if u can get the real reason, it will help u in moving on and coping with being new mum and work life.

meanwhile, don't stress. if ur don't have enough milk, u can always supplement with formula milk. bb needs u more than ur milk.

Hi, thanks for reply.. yes this boss certainly is too goal oriented.. plus he asked another girl to leave when she was pregnant after she broke the news 2 months into working.. but fortunately for the boss, this girl is not local and she still under probation..

alot of my collegues know this boss's pattern so it's definetly becos of my pumping.. he feels that too much time is wasted..and becos my company is just a small SME ..

i pump at 6 am and reach work around 8 15am so next pump is around 10am, 1 30, 530 pm.. i eat around 10-15min in office..

and yes i am trying to move on. thats why i am trying to find if there are anyone that have successfully found a job during such transition period.. and do u all mention during the interview that u need to pump at work..

are u a singaporean ? if u r, you can approach MOM and the union to see how you can rectify this problem.

u might still lose your job but at least can ask for some compensation.

Hi, yes i am a singaporean, i told them about it and was hoping they can guide me to any womens or mother friendly website for jobs but they dint.. they gve me the careersg link and told me to find from there.. it was kinda disappointing.. or mayb sg just hasnt build up more support for new mothers to cope at work..

Hi, thanks for reply.. yes this boss certainly is too goal oriented.. plus he asked another girl to leave when she was pregnant after she broke the news 2 months into working.. but fortunately for the boss, this girl is not local and she still under probation..

alot of my collegues know this boss's pattern so it's definetly becos of my pumping.. he feels that too much time is wasted..and becos my company is just a small SME ..

i pump at 6 am and reach work around 8 15am so next pump is around 10am, 1 30, 530 pm.. i eat around 10-15min in office..

and yes i am trying to move on. thats why i am trying to find if there are anyone that have successfully found a job during such transition period.. and do u all mention during the interview that u need to pump at work..

hmm....not a friendly boss.

how old is ur bb? probably can pump less frequent by now?

i've not been in ur situation but i think it will be weird if interviewer would actually ask if i need to pump at work.

i would say don't let pumping bother u. focus on getting a job.

Hi, yes i am a singaporean, i told them about it and was hoping they can guide me to any womens or mother friendly website for jobs but they dint.. they gve me the careersg link and told me to find from there.. it was kinda disappointing.. or mayb sg just hasnt build up more support for new mothers to cope at work..

other than labour rights they dont help people to find jobs.

finding jobs really depends on your effort to find and also some help from luck.

I think I’m almost in the same boat as you. Just back to work but received news that my contract will not be extended after it ends in Nov. I’m currently going for interviews already. Hopefully I can throw them the letter that I’m not renewing because I found a job earlier than they throw letter at me and tell me to leave. Haha.

I also not sure should I say I need to pump at work during interviews. But I think better don’t say. Must act professional during interview ma.

I guess if I still can’t find a job, I’ll just take care of baby for the time being. My house finance is still ok. Can cope. Just need to be more thrifty.

Good luck and I hope you can find a job soon!

If you feel that you need to explain and justify having to pump milk, you might be spending too much time and thoughts on it. No harm if you have super supportive bosses and colleagues (smokers spends a lot of time away from desk too!)... But otherwise, might be a bit too much?

Us women can't have it all - bf, career, etc. Need to prioritise and be a bit flexible. Happy mom makes happy babies!

Back