5mg of folic acid

may i know what is the preferred brand of folic acid pills preferred?
I saw a price difference quite alot from different brands. Will a cheaper brand mean it is of less quality?

I have GNC Folic Acid 1000mcg Vegetarian Tablets and Watson Iron Tablets (Ferrious Fumarate) to let go. Folic acid expiry in Mar and Nov 2013. Iron expiry in Nov 2014. Insterested mummies, please PM me. Self collect at AMK preferred.

Website: http://www.mims.com/Singapore/drug/info/folic%20acid/folic%20acid?type=full&mtype=generic

Folate-deficient megaloblastic anaemia
Adult: 5 mg daily for 4 mth, up to 15 mg daily in malabsorption states. Continued dosing at 5 mg every 1-7 days may be needed in chronic haemolytic states, depending on the diet and rate of haemolysis.

Prophylaxis of megaloblastic anaemia in pregnancy
Adult: 0.2-0.5 mg daily.

Prophylaxis of neural tube defect in pregnancy
Adult: 4 or 5 mg daily starting before pregnancy and continued through the 1st trimester.

As supplement for women of child-bearing potential
Adult: 0.4 mg daily.

In summary, i think normal women conceiving or pregnant should consume 0.4mg.

Question: I am consuming 0.4mg of folic acid after lunch and consuming multivitamins (which contains 0.3mg folic acid) after dinner. Not sure if this is overdosage??

Just chance upon this thread. To all ladies who are TTC, please take folic acid. There is no harm of overdosage.

Those cheap ones from Unity is good enough. The 5mg type. Just take! At one stage I was taking 3 to 4 pills a day. No side effects whatsoever.

U must be wondering why I take so much. Cause my first baby ended up with neural tube defect. That was in 2006. At that time when I preg, I never heard of folic acid before. By the time I start taking (from gynae), I was already 3 mths preg. In the end, I had to terminate my preg after detailed scan at 22wks. I cried buckets over it and when I subsequently found out that folic acid is such a cheap supplement (few dollars!!) but I didn't know! I felt so stupid that I didn't find out more about the supplements to take.

Subsequently I had two other pregnancies n took folic acid morning afternoon and night. My babies came out healthy and fine. They are both toddlers now
happy.gif

So ladies, just go to Unity to buy. No need expensive brands. All unabsorbed folic acid will just pass out in urine. Good luck to those TTC!

Thanks to all mummies for sharing.

I just got 2 boxes from unity.

Super cheap only $3.19 per box. Used my points to buy. So it's foc. Keke.

Good luck all
happy.gif

on my first visit, when my gynae asked if i have my own folic acid, i said yes and shown him mine as i brought along some of my own supplements to confirm with the gynae that it's safe to continue consuming them. mine is 1mg only. but he said enough, just take one per day. he didn't prescribe me anymore folic acid, but he did prescribe me a prenatal multivit that includes 1mg folic acid as well, along with calcium supplement.

I just bought 100 tablets of folic acid (5mg) from Guardian Pharmacy at $7.10. It is small and yellow in colour. Much cheaper than the ones I bought from Blackmores at 90 tablets for $15.50!

Hi Me n my hubby plan to have baby straight after our customary wedding in Sep.. Have started to take folic acid recently.. Bought the folic acid from unity 100tabs for $3.15..

Not sure if it is too early to start taking now?

N is it reali v hard to conceive? As from wat I see from other forum, some ppl tried for few yrs yet no news.

Hope to conceive by this yr end so will be jus in time for a snake baby..

remember that besides folic acid, u shld start building up ur own health. eat healtiher, exercise cos u need ur muscles alot. Also, take more calcium and iron to boost it up. U still need to take those pills in the pregnancy, but then, it is never too late to ensure your body has sufficient of key elements =)

Just read from some posts here that the men should also take folic acid (to increase the chances of conceiving). All along I thought it is just the women who should be taking. New information!

Hi, as mentioned by Sneaky on the previous posting it is ok even if the intake exceeds cos folic acid is water soluble and will be pass out through urination if excess. 5mg=500mcg only, so it's fine. I am taking 800mcg now.

5mg is 5000mcg. =)

Back