! ! Advice needed: Good MATTRESS to recommend?

Hi mummies, can recommend good mattress for baby cot? Can advise what material (Foam, Latex, coconut fibre,etc) is good n wat brand? Thanks much!!!

The best think for a baby is his mothers hands and lap but in spite of that we can go for good and hygienic products for babies.

Getting a single-sized mattress might be a better option in the long run - inexpensive and durable. Best to have bb on floor, so much safer. Cots are rather dangerous if bb is very active and growing fast. My son climbed out of playpen at 9mths. Good thing it was next to our bed/sofa so he didn't get hurt. Was quite shocking 'cos he simply figured out how to do it one night while we were watching TV in the living room!

Brands of mattress don't really matter but always change the cot sheets, cases. We saved alot by stuffing large pillow cases with towels so that we can regularly wash them and also make more buffers. Sea Horse is a vey reliable brand. I learnt the hard way - spending on baby-sized things and then finding them obsolete once bb reaches 1+. He's now 3 and has a single sized mattress all to himself + happy with his own space.

http://mumusings.blogspot.com/2010/03/home-mumusings-21-safety-buffers.html

Hope this helps! Very natural for many parents to want to splurge on the little ones but alot of things at home can be used without having to add more furniture/assessories.

Thanks! That's a very useful piece of advice! I'm thinking which mattress material is popular among mummies, n provide good support n less warm for baby..
happy.gif
been looking around n there are so many choices in the mkt!

We all grew up on very cheap mattresses and wasn't damaging in any way.

If you fear material is too 'warm', you can let him lie on the cooling mat (those blue/pink mats by Tollyjoy/Pigeon) - also useful in case of diaper leaks. If bb is too warm, use thinner blanket/swaddle - all the savings from fancy bb products can go to many snacks, clothing items, toys, books and stationery items later
happy.gif

My hb and I did away with our bed frame and placed our Q-size on the floor next to the kid's. In fact we have around 8 sets of plain King Koil/Stylemaster plain bedsheets and pretty pillow cases and change twice weekly. Q-size can use as sofa cover and kid's as well, just need to tuck in edges. Until kid is older and has his own room, so much more practical to stick to what we have than have all sort of items in various sizes.

Alot of parent's are image-conscious, at the expense of their pockets and practicality. For us, it's safety and hygiene before appearance/popularity.

Example:
normal mattress/cases (seen S$20+ ones at Xtra + S$30+ for bedlinen when on sale) - can use till kid grows up/when mattress gets too soft

cot+mattress+special-sized sheets/cases (from S$200+) - at most can use up to 3 years old, shorter time if kid grows tall very fast!

<font color="aa00aa">Sometimes, it's not about being economical but using safer material. I watched a DVD borrowed from the library (titled "Growing Green Babies", released Mar 24, 2009) and here's some pointers about choosing mattresses:

1) Most mattresses use polyurethane foam, a petroleum product, as internal filling. It is highly flammable.

2) So mattresses are treated with fire retardants, like polybrominated diphenyl ethers or PBDEs to counteract the high flammability of the polyurethane foam. Studies have shown that PBDEs can impair brain development.

3) Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) is the surface material used in nearly all crib mattresses.

4) PVC is widely considered to be one of the most toxic &amp; environmentally unfriendly plastics in use today.

5) Phthalate plasticizers are added to the Vinyl/PVC surface material to make it soft &amp; flexible.

6) Phthalates are known carcinogens &amp; can leach out into your child's crib.

7) Look for mattresses made of natural fibers. Untreated cotton or natural latex mattresses are great alternatives.

I know that:
* Babysafe carries latex mattress.
* Infantino carries the fiber-filled mattress (it comes FOC with purchase of Bonbebe Rocio Baby Cot at NTUC Xtra)

There are definitely other brands available locally but I don't know any others.</font>

Thanks for all the info! We're using the usual mattress found at neighbourhood shop. Didn't know there are so many types and their differences.

Get a -ve ion with far infra red mattress for your child or family to sleep. Young child need 20mins as a start. Best for health, immunity and better attention for child in long term good effects. I just bought one for myself and young child to sleep. Seeing gradual improvement on child who used to be super sick and super vomit since babyhood. Please call me at 97710200 if you wish me to bring you to listen and view this product,

Summit LilyDream -ve ion with far infrared mattress is wha5 both my child and i are sleeping now. I believe it now as it has an international health logo on its mattreee that doctor allows to bring into hospital by some parents, upon showing that logoto doc

Experts advise choosing the type of mattress filler depending on the age of the child. So, for newborns, the firmest mattresses will be the optimal choice - with a pack of coconut coir for example.

For children older than two years, you need to choose a softer mattress, with a supportive orthopedic effect. Mattresses from latex, polyurethane foam will cope with this task. You can also buy a spring mattress with an independent spring unit.

The most unsuitable for children's sleep are bonnell spring mattresses, cotton and foam rubber products.

Back