6weeks old refused to latch.

Happened to me too when my baby was 6 weeks old. I pumped out a bit of milk and left the nipple dripping before latching him on, and then I continued to use my hand to squeeze out milk to facilitate faster milk flow. Took about 3 days before he willingly latched on again.

My baby was used to the quick flowing teats when he was bottle fed so he found latching on to the breast too slow and required too much work.

So refusing to latch is perfect OK?
Because I read that if the baby suck directly, it will simulate more milk production. My wife current output per day is around 550ml. Baby demand per day is around 800ml. Have to top up with formula.

Another issue that troubled us badly as well.
The baby refused to sleep between 9pm to 5am. As my wife just went back to work, we have a hard time coping with this timing. Any methods to revert his timing to normal?
He sleeps well in the mornings and afternoons.

I started expressing when DD was 4 weeks, as I had 2 get back 2 wk N also I engorged quite easily so timely expressing of milk helps. Initially my supply was not enough, but gradually, i have too much supply.

Try not 2 let LO sleeps too much in d afternoon. Change d routine during d day. Hope things improve so dat both your wife and yourself can get enough rest.

Of course will be great if baby can latch as can stimulate milk, but if cannot it’s fine too, try to pump regularly..

For me, at the starting, I pump every 2hrs (wake up in midnight every 2hrs to pump too) to stimulate milk (is like indirectly let the body know there is demand) until my milk was enough then I stop doing this cox it is really tiring..

Of course cannot do so after started to work, but try to pump more while back to home ba..

Drink more soup and water.. eat more too.. try to search google and avoid those food that will reduce milk supply..

Is tiring but baby’s sleeping timing always keep changing.. don stress bout it.. try to cut down his day time nap.. esp not to sleep at evening time..

Baby sleep in Aircond at day time and night time? Or only night time? Could it be too cold at night? Or long sleeves at night without Aircond make him feel hot n can’t sleep well??

My 6weeks old refused to latch and have to resolve to breast pump, and feed him using bottles.
Anyway to help him latch?

Don't panic, this is totally normal. Maybe you don't really produce enough milk and it is to exhausting for the baby - this could happen when you are under a lot of pressure. Maybe he just prefers the bottle :)
Also try to bump your milk and use formula in addition this should be a very balanced nutrition for you baby.
When you stopp worrying everything can also go back to normal.
For me starting bottle feeding was a big relieve also because our baby had a way tighter sleep!
Good luck from helloitsme

Don't panic, this is totally normal. Maybe you don't really produce enough milk and it is to exhausting for the baby - this could happen when you are under a lot of pressure. Maybe he just prefers the bottle :)
Also try to bump your milk and use formula in addition this should be a very balanced nutrition for you baby.
When you stopp worrying everything can also go back to normal.
For me starting bottle feeding was a big relieve also because our baby had a way tighter sleep!
Good luck from helloitsme
Thanks.

Thought the latching will help to build bond between the mother and the baby? Saw some video also seems to help to calm the baby down.
My wife rather worried as baby don't seems to know how to latch and not really trying.
My wife supply also increase after changing pump. So no need the latching to simulate.

Back