Breastfeeding - How do you know if your body is ready to produce?

Ginger Mummy

Hi, first time mum here. Expecting my LO pretty soon in a couple week's time. I was just wondering how mums breastfeed their child on the first try. So I have plenty to ask!

1. Is the supply already there upon LO's birth?
2. Otherwise, how do I start off? Do i pump first and see if anything comes out?

I've been reading up on things to eat to get BF starting already but not sure what will happen! Really hoping to kickstart my BF journey asap for my LO. Would appreciate some tips, thanks!

I guess u will need to "build" d supply. I had a natural birth, n once my gal was out, they let her latch onto me....

N d initial "milk" is rather clear or cloudy color, doesnt look like milk...

Hi, first time mum here. Expecting my LO pretty soon in a couple week's time. I was just wondering how mums breastfeed their child on the first try. So I have plenty to ask!

2. Otherwise, how do I start off? Do i pump first and see if anything comes out?

I've been reading up on things to eat to get BF starting already but not sure what will happen! Really hoping to kickstart my BF journey asap for my LO. Would appreciate some tips, thanks!

I was told, you just need to massage.

Once baby out, they will teach you how to latch on during the skin to skin. Also it's important to give baby the first milk that come out of it, cause that is the strongest one to help their immune system. I can't recall the exact name.

During my time, I didn't manage to skin to skin with my baby upon delivery due to some unforeseen circumstances, but days after, nurse need me to massage and collect that early milk, and they put in a tube to insert in my baby mouth. That is the important for baby immune system they said.

If you need more, you may clarify with your gynae and some hospital there's certain contact right. For KKH, before few weeks of your EDD, they have this lactation appointment (if I'm not wrong the name), this will teach you on how to massage and latching., the right way and position etc. :)

Initially there won't be anything (unless you're one of the few lucky ones) but its ok, continue to latch whenever nurse brings baby in. After latching, use hospital grade pump to stimulate for 10 mins both sides, every 2-3 hours. That's the advice given by my lactation consultant. Warm towel on breasts and massage before pump helps as well. I only got milk after discharge from hospital (My body was really slow). Plenty of rest is important too.

God’s creation is amazing, the milk supply will come automatically after you deliver..

On 2nd day (if not mistaken or 3rd day), nurse will come to you and explain to you how to bf your baby, they will clean ur nipple, massage you breast and “pinch” ur nipple till milk out and bring baby to you immed so that baby can drink the first precious milk.. and how u how to let ur baby latch etc etc..

My breast engorged but I don even notice, only know before discharged and it’s so pain .

Then the nurse very nice, she passed me the hosp’ breast pump and asked me to pump faster as the next shift’s nurse not in yet, she let me use for free.. so I faster pump before go home..

You may want to bring your breast pump to standby..

I don think I can success in breastfeeding without the nurse who taught me how to do it

Good suggestions! I am actually building up intake with whatever healthy foods I can find. Research on the net helps a lot. But I'm also noticing a small lump under my left armpit during this pregnancy. I think it appeared during my 2nd trim and it doesnt get bigger/not painful at all. But I read online that it's smth to do with the milk being clogged up. Is it true?

Good suggestions! I am actually building up intake with whatever healthy foods I can find. Research on the net helps a lot. But I'm also noticing a small lump under my left armpit during this pregnancy. I think it appeared during my 2nd trim and it doesnt get bigger/not painful at all. But I read online that it's smth to do with the milk being clogged up. Is it true?

Hmm.. You may check with doc while check up?

Back