Recommendation : Hospital for delivery

DoubleQ

Hi All,

This is my 2nd pregnancy, although it is still too early but I just want to have recommendation and feedback from all lovely mummies here.

My 1st delivery was at KKH, was known as a good place for delivery. But turn out to be a nightmare and decided not to deliver there anymore.

Can mummies here recommend me on the next good hospital for delivery, the charges, the experience, the gynae etc?

My 2nd thoughts was NUH since I stayed in the west, but still considering and open to more option..

Let's share more story mummies!! :)

Hi All,

This is my 2nd pregnancy, although it is still too early but I just want to have recommendation and feedback from all lovely mummies here.

My 1st delivery was at KKH, was known as a good place for delivery. But turn out to be a nightmare and decided not to deliver there anymore.

Can mummies here recommend me on the next good hospital for delivery, the charges, the experience, the gynae etc?

My 2nd thoughts was NUH since I stayed in the west, but still considering and open to more option..

Let's share more story mummies!! :)

I also giving birth in KKH. Mind to share your bad experience? And if you are private or sub patient?

I also giving birth in KKH. Mind to share your bad experience? And if you are private or sub patient?

I'm sub-patient.. check-up everything was fine. till my labour day arrived. my contraction was 100% but opening still small, pulse getting worst and had to take up epidural. Nurses all are good there. Waterbag burst, informed doctor, doctor came in 1hr later after was informed. Checked and baby had poo in it. Doctor decided to emergency c-ser cause it can harm my baby. But was not attended. 2hrs later still didn't come in, so I told mid-wives to shut my epidural medication and I push myself without a doctor. Mid-wive was so panic running around trying to get doctor all and I push myself with my husband by me.

My baby born without a doctor around, then couple of nurses or whoever it is came in and took my baby and pump out water. Then he was pushed away to NICU. I didn't manage to see my baby for first time either, touch or skin to skin. The next few hours I go down to NICU and see my baby with lots of wire around his body.

After they took my baby, the doctor came in 1hr later to sew the bottom part. I asked why this is happening, the replied was "sorry, too many people giving birth and we have shortage of doctor attending tonight". Yes I can hear mummies voice during delivery after one another. But that doesn't give a reason to be left unattended after they know my baby life in such a way.

But dear, don't put my experience a scared one for u, not everyone get the same treatment or experience. others experience with KKH was a fruitful journey. Lesson here, please always be more alert and decide what we need as a mum. Other people won't know or feel what we felt as a mum.

Pray for your smooth delivery dear :)

My option are open dear..

Just need some experience, story and feedback from mummies here for different hospital :)

How your check up there so far?

Sorry to hear your experience in KKH... Is your baby ok now?
Is this the service standard that sub-patients will receive in every hospital? I'm a sub-patient at SGH as well. The check up is ok but waiting time quite long even though got appointment. I'm not sure is this the case for other gov hospital?
I'm a first time mum.

Sorry to hear your experience in KKH... Is your baby ok now?
Is this the service standard that sub-patients will receive in every hospital? I'm a sub-patient at SGH as well. The check up is ok but waiting time quite long even though got appointment. I'm not sure is this the case for other gov hospital?
I'm a first time mum.

My check-up in KKH depends on the timing, If I took the early slot lesser people. I ever took the afternoon slot, waiting time longer and no much space to sit as some was occupied with family members, children, so sometime I saw mummies standing instead of giving them a seat. But I'm sure every hospital the same during the long waiting hours.

Thanks God Baby was fine so far.

Im caught in surprise and I have no idea where and who to approach too. Both my wife and me are not very happy thing being handle in NUH. after some research and recommendation by my friend, I decided to look for Dr Fong Yang @ mount elizabeth novena

Below is one of the cost shared last year.

https://singaporemotherhood.com/forum/threads/any-good-gynae-packages-to-recommend.208275/

Hi,

Care to share how they handle which cause an unhappy for you both?

Thank you for the link, I will read through and consider the necessary :)

I'm sub-patient.. check-up everything was fine. till my labour day arrived. my contraction was 100% but opening still small, pulse getting worst and had to take up epidural. Nurses all are good there. Waterbag burst, informed doctor, doctor came in 1hr later after was informed. Checked and baby had poo in it. Doctor decided to emergency c-ser cause it can harm my baby. But was not attended. 2hrs later still didn't come in, so I told mid-wives to shut my epidural medication and I push myself without a doctor. Mid-wive was so panic running around trying to get doctor all and I push myself with my husband by me.

My baby born without a doctor around, then couple of nurses or whoever it is came in and took my baby and pump out water. Then he was pushed away to NICU. I didn't manage to see my baby for first time either, touch or skin to skin. The next few hours I go down to NICU and see my baby with lots of wire around his body.

After they took my baby, the doctor came in 1hr later to sew the bottom part. I asked why this is happening, the replied was "sorry, too many people giving birth and we have shortage of doctor attending tonight". Yes I can hear mummies voice during delivery after one another. But that doesn't give a reason to be left unattended after they know my baby life in such a way.

But dear, don't put my experience a scared one for u, not everyone get the same treatment or experience. others experience with KKH was a fruitful journey. Lesson here, please always be more alert and decide what we need as a mum. Other people won't know or feel what we felt as a mum.

Pray for your smooth delivery dear :)

Hi dear, thank u for reassuring me. I hope I will not encounter any bad experience too. Keep our fingers cross! :)

Definitely Mount Alvernia! Very nice nurses and the food not bad also I delivered there last year. Zero complains. Ok, maybe just 1 very small complain. 1 of the nurse in the delivery suite lol. Kept asking me to take epidural although i’ve already declined many times.. Maybe she find me too noisy and irritating

Haha!! My first labour also like that, keep declined for epidural till my pulse was too low and risk both my life and baby. I have no choice but to take it. So far till today, the negative side of epidural that people was talking about doesn't visit me. It depend on how we take care. :)

How was the charges like?

My total bill was around $15k cause i had emergency csect. It was my gynae charges that was expensive. The hospital bill itself was ok.

3 days stay in 1 bedder with companion for all 3 days + all the equipments used + medications around $5300+. Meals provided for companion too. I was in delivery suite around 15 hours. Around 2am went into delivery suite, 5+pm got transferred to OT. In delivery suite, i used gas only. Then for my csect, i went under GA. If include the doctor fees for the doc who administered the GA, total around $6500+.

Hi,

Based on your bill, how much of it can we use CPF to offset?
Thanks.

My family doctor advise my wife to approach NUH or KKH A&E as there are spot bleed and uncertain pregnancy as the urine test was very fade. Referral letter was provided.

My wife went through urine test again before we were assigned with a Malay doctor and with her, believe to be a trainee who can speak Chinese. This time, the line is more obvious.

I did highlight to them that my wife cannot understand English well. So the trainee had the translation initially.
After awhile, they ask my wife to proceed to the bed but did not hightlight to us what check are they going to perform before executing.

They actually insert and scope the viginal and overy even though my wife told them that they not suppose to perform that during early stage. Ofter confirming that they cant see anything, they call another doctor to come over for advise.

Unfortunately, the senior did not any only get them to perform a blood test.

My thoughts are as follow.
1) Too many trainee
2) They did not state clearly what type of test/check before executing.

I think KKH should be good.

Most of my surrounding said KKH.. but after encounter with my 1st, almost losing him due to insufficient doctor during my labour. I'm just too afraid to have another there.. Even my son sick, I didn't send him to KKH. I send him to NUH instead.

Hmm... Considering all the above comments.. :)

My wife just gave birth to our daughter with Dr John Yam & the whole process went on very smoothly.
He has a clinic at Jurong Point, we have all our prenatal check up there in the evening after work except for the detailed scans.

His main clinic is at Gleneagles where my wife delivered. He was was great the whole thing and very patient answering all our doubts. Every check up has very short waiting time of 15mins the most.
The nurses and lactation consultant is great at Gleneagles, food isn't good but only 2 nights so who cares.

Total damage.
Prenatal overall around 2k+
Delivery charge all in around 7.5k (medisave around 2.7k, cash around 4.7k)

Worth every cents i think.

Delivering in Singapore is not cheap either.. haha! OMG!

Hoping my 2nd delivery won't encounter any problem..

My wife just gave birth to our daughter with Dr John Yam & the whole process went on very smoothly.
He has a clinic at Jurong Point, we have all our prenatal check up there in the evening after work except for the detailed scans.

His main clinic is at Gleneagles where my wife delivered. He was was great the whole thing and very patient answering all our doubts. Every check up has very short waiting time of 15mins the most.
The nurses and lactation consultant is great at Gleneagles, food isn't good but only 2 nights so who cares.

Total damage.
Prenatal overall around 2k+
Delivery charge all in around 7.5k (medisave around 2.7k, cash around 4.7k)

Worth every cents i think.

Hi,

Congratulations on your new baby.

Can you share how many bedder per room for the cost that you shared?

Thanks.

My family doctor advise my wife to approach NUH or KKH A&E as there are spot bleed and uncertain pregnancy as the urine test was very fade. Referral letter was provided.

My wife went through urine test again before we were assigned with a Malay doctor and with her, believe to be a trainee who can speak Chinese. This time, the line is more obvious.

I did highlight to them that my wife cannot understand English well. So the trainee had the translation initially.
After awhile, they ask my wife to proceed to the bed but did not hightlight to us what check are they going to perform before executing.

They actually insert and scope the viginal and overy even though my wife told them that they not suppose to perform that during early stage. Ofter confirming that they cant see anything, they call another doctor to come over for advise.

Unfortunately, the senior did not any only get them to perform a blood test.

My thoughts are as follow.
1) Too many trainee
2) They did not state clearly what type of test/check before executing.

Hi,

I had my first baby in NUH and I must say it was a very pleasant experience. The doctors and nurses were very attentive. I am so sorry to hear about your experience in NUH.

As for the vaginal scope, as a FTM, i was also very worried about doing it during my first pregnancy. I was almost crying when the doctor in KKH insisted that they have to do it before they will allow me to go home. I never had an idea why, until i had my second pregnancy, which turned out to be ectopic.

That was when i realised that the doctors need to confirm the position of the baby (because ectopic pregnancy can be life threatening) when you have a positive pregnancy result. They did tried the normal ultrasound, instead of the vaginal scope, but my pregnancy was too early to be detected. The blood test is most likely to detect how advance is your wife's pregnancy.

I guess what the doctors should have done is to really explain the purpose of each procedure.

Anyway, all the best and hope you will be able to see your bundle of joy soon.

Hi,

I had my first baby in NUH and I must say it was a very pleasant experience. The doctors and nurses were very attentive. I am so sorry to hear about your experience in NUH.

As for the vaginal scope, as a FTM, i was also very worried about doing it during my first pregnancy. I was almost crying when the doctor in KKH insisted that they have to do it before they will allow me to go home. I never had an idea why, until i had my second pregnancy, which turned out to be ectopic.

That was when i realised that the doctors need to confirm the position of the baby (because ectopic pregnancy can be life threatening) when you have a positive pregnancy result. They did tried the normal ultrasound, instead of the vaginal scope, but my pregnancy was too early to be detected. The blood test is most likely to detect how advance is your wife's pregnancy.

I guess what the doctors should have done is to really explain the purpose of each procedure.

Anyway, all the best and hope you will be able to see your bundle of joy soon.

Ya, my #1 just by doing normal scan at belly can detect the position of my baby. But my #2 couldn't, so they did the vaginal scope to see the position and true, they need to know whether are we on the safest side. I do feel uncomfortable and I believe no one will, but for the sake of baby, I still did.

And so far, I went for my 1st check at NUH as subsidy patient, First impression was "WOW", place are clean, and the counter staff did explained to me the procedure, etc. Some detail that I don't get from KKH, I got it explained in NUH. I really hope this time my journey till labour with NUH will be a fruitful journey. :)

Otherwise I can stop factory till 2nd. hahahaha!!!

Hi @DoubleQ. Have you delivered your baby at nuh? How was the experience?
Yes!!! Awesome!! I love their staff, nurses, doctors, gynae, midwife n also facilities. Their service was good too.

First i was so scared, afraid i might encounter the same like in KKH. But thanks god, i had fruitful experience in NUH. I am not a private patient there, but i was treated well.

Midwife keep on coming in the labour room to check on me n baby heartbeat n condition. Talk to me n comfort me as the contraction going higher n higher n we need more support. Gynae came in every now n then to check on my condition. I deliver smoothly.

Same goes to ward, the nurses are good, friendly and polite too.. Love them!

One thing i like to shared about our experience in NUH. The nurses encouraged breast-feeding which both of us are 100% behind it. But the message the nurses gave us were totally wrong when it comes to formula milk. They kept insisting that as an infant, our baby just required about 5ml of FM everyday. When i heard this, i was surpised and i even use my fingers to show how much 5ml will be and they said yes. Infant does not need a lot of milk for the first few days. I saw the urine for our baby was pinkish and i asked the nurses. They told me is ok but slight dehydration. I asked to feed our baby water but they said no need.

On the 3rd day when we discharged, our baby's jaundice level is normal. When we returned home, the urine color is still pinkish and he is still on BF. I called up the BF hotline and asked about giving our baby FM and the amount that we should give. The senior nurse over the line told me the same thing. 5ml of FM will do but BF is good enough.

But the problem is that for the first few days after delivering, the Breast milk will be slow or little. In the end, when we send our baby for the development checked up at the polyclinic, we were "scolded" by the nurses there why we did not feed our baby with FM since he was showing sign of dehydration and urine is pinkish.

I told the nurses what NUH told me and she said as an adult, i should know what to do when a person is showing signs of dehydration. That is to drink and i should feed my baby FM. Worse thing, the jaundice level shot up to near to 300.

With the above experience, i can only said not all advice given by professional is right. We need to make judgement ourselves.

Apart from the above, i can say that we have an enjoyable stay in NUH and everything was good.

One thing i like to shared about our experience in NUH. The nurses encouraged breast-feeding which both of us are 100% behind it. But the message the nurses gave us were totally wrong when it comes to formula milk. They kept insisting that as an infant, our baby just required about 5ml of FM everyday. When i heard this, i was surpised and i even use my fingers to show how much 5ml will be and they said yes. Infant does not need a lot of milk for the first few days. I saw the urine for our baby was pinkish and i asked the nurses. They told me is ok but slight dehydration. I asked to feed our baby water but they said no need.

On the 3rd day when we discharged, our baby's jaundice level is normal. When we returned home, the urine color is still pinkish and he is still on BF. I called up the BF hotline and asked about giving our baby FM and the amount that we should give. The senior nurse over the line told me the same thing. 5ml of FM will do but BF is good enough.

But the problem is that for the first few days after delivering, the Breast milk will be slow or little. In the end, when we send our baby for the development checked up at the polyclinic, we were "scolded" by the nurses there why we did not feed our baby with FM since he was showing sign of dehydration and urine is pinkish.

I told the nurses what NUH told me and she said as an adult, i should know what to do when a person is showing signs of dehydration. That is to drink and i should feed my baby FM. Worse thing, the jaundice level shot up to near to 300.

With the above experience, i can only said not all advice given by professional is right. We need to make judgement ourselves.

Apart from the above, i can say that we have an enjoyable stay in NUH and everything was good.
True! We as parent also need to make decision. They can only advice or suggest. :)

First few days no need FM if BF cause baby stomach is the size of cherry. Colustrum sufficient for 1st 3days. Unless like mine, baby showing sign having jaundice on 2nd day so i was advice to give FM. But beginning i was frustrate when one of the nurse told me in wrong way. Few hrs later baby doctor came to ask my concern n explain to me. Clearer and i decided to go for FM. :)

Cause when baby have jaundice and BM is not kicking in, they will be dehydrating and can harm them. So i keep on FM to flush out his jaundice. :)

True! We as parent also need to make decision. They can only advice or suggest. :)

First few days no need FM if BF cause baby stomach is the size of cherry. Colustrum sufficient for 1st 3days. Unless like mine, baby showing sign having jaundice on 2nd day so i was advice to give FM. But beginning i was frustrate when one of the nurse told me in wrong way. Few hrs later baby doctor came to ask my concern n explain to me. Clearer and i decided to go for FM. :)

Cause when baby have jaundice and BM is not kicking in, they will be dehydrating and can harm them. So i keep on FM to flush out his jaundice. :)

Good that the doctor came and explained to you. For our case, nothing, except kept telling us that BM is enough even though the urine is pinkish......sigh......trusted the wrong person and foolish of us not to act on it.

Good that the doctor came and explained to you. For our case, nothing, except kept telling us that BM is enough even though the urine is pinkish......sigh......trusted the wrong person and foolish of us not to act on it.
Its ur first child right? Dont worry, during my 1st i go thru shits too.. Cause no experience and listen too much to nurses. So now i rather ask for baby doctor or head doctor to explain and examine my baby.. Not that i dont trust nurse, but i prefer the top to explain.. Wish ur baby fast recovery.. Happy parenting!

Back