Pregnant Wife not drinking enough water

Frankie13

Hi all,

my wife in in her week 10 and she started to resist drinking water as she felt that is too bland. She also hated sweet stuff now and only like salty stuff.

She keeps saying she wants water that is salty. there was once i mix salt in the plain water for her to drink and she enjoys it.

How can i overcome this problem? everyday, she is drinking less than 1 litres of water.

Please help.
Thanks.

Maybe you can try mix lemon with water which is good for too. It aids in digestion and hydrates the body at the same time. I remember taking it for the first trimester as I also dislike the taste of the water. Hope it helps.

can try juices, h20/100plus, ribena, milo, peppermint tea, ginger tea, chinese soups like ABC, salty veg duck (do not take those with tonics).
Im in week 10 too and water is hard to stomach. Last week watermelon+apple juice really worked for me. This week, Ribena. What worked yesterday may not work today though. Basically need to be very creative and try everything, i think it doesn't have to be water, so long as she gets enough fluid is good enough.
I'm not so concern about taking too much sugar but if your wife is, then omit sugared drinks.

Maybe you can try mix lemon with water which is good for too. It aids in digestion and hydrates the body at the same time. I remember taking it for the first trimester as I also dislike the taste of the water. Hope it helps.

Hi, i had tried lemon slice + water. This last only for 2 days. dont know what to do next.

can try juices, h20/100plus, ribena, milo, peppermint tea, ginger tea, chinese soups like ABC, salty veg duck (do not take those with tonics).
Im in week 10 too and water is hard to stomach. Last week watermelon+apple juice really worked for me. This week, Ribena. What worked yesterday may not work today though. Basically need to be very creative and try everything, i think it doesn't have to be water, so long as she gets enough fluid is good enough.
I'm not so concern about taking too much sugar but if your wife is, then omit sugared drinks.

Hi, water that is sweet is out for her. Another reason that she does not want to take too much water is mainly due to her MS. She feels very bloated and full of water in her tummy even though she is not taking a lot of water. She said she will vomit if she takes too much water. I was thinking is it due to her imagination.

Hi all,

my wife in in her week 10 and she started to resist drinking water as she felt that is too bland. She also hated sweet stuff now and only like salty stuff.

She keeps saying she wants water that is salty. there was once i mix salt in the plain water for her to drink and she enjoys it.

How can i overcome this problem? everyday, she is drinking less than 1 litres of water.

Please help.
Thanks.

I also have problems drinking plain water whenever i drink i feel very nausea and want to vomit. I think i only drink one cup a day..
So afraid of dehydration i drink milo, soymilk, fresh apple juice, lemon juice in plain water..
i am at 16weeks+ and still drink less than a litre a day. i tink less than 500ml of plain water..

I also have problems drinking plain water whenever i drink i feel very nausea and want to vomit. I think i only drink one cup a day..
So afraid of dehydration i drink milo, soymilk, fresh apple juice, lemon juice in plain water..
i am at 16weeks+ and still drink less than a litre a day. i tink less than 500ml of plain water..

Hi, seems like the same as my wife. But you are able to drink other fluid, like milo, soymilk etc. My wife totally rejected them.
Sigh....i am worry that she will be dehydrated.

Hi Frankie,

My 1st pregnancy was also like your wife. Love salty foods and seldom drinks. Always feel bloated and nausea. And always have the strong feeling of vomiting. I guess it common for pregnant lady since we have tiny human in our belly. But that doesn't mean you need to give in so yeah! Please bring her for check up.

Get gynae to check on baby cause vomiting too much can cause harm to them. Drinking less or drinking too much also harm them.

I was given medication for nausea and bloated. Cause any sweets or sour muchy doesn't help me to stop that strong nausea and vomiting. Gynae will also advice what other alternative food and drinks which are suitable for her and baby.

Now I'm having 2nd, hate Salty but Love sweets things. Another problem. Too much sweet also dangerous. Aduiiii!!!

Hi Frankie,

My 1st pregnancy was also like your wife. Love salty foods and seldom drinks. Always feel bloated and nausea. And always have the strong feeling of vomiting. I guess it common for pregnant lady since we have tiny human in our belly. But that doesn't mean you need to give in so yeah! Please bring her for check up.

Get gynae to check on baby cause vomiting too much can cause harm to them. Drinking less or drinking too much also harm them.

I was given medication for nausea and bloated. Cause any sweets or sour muchy doesn't help me to stop that strong nausea and vomiting. Gynae will also advice what other alternative food and drinks which are suitable for her and baby.

Now I'm having 2nd, hate Salty but Love sweets things. Another problem. Too much sweet also dangerous. Aduiiii!!!

Hi,

I didnt know that too much vomiting is bad for them. Our next appointment with the doctor is next week. Perhaps i will give doctor a call later.

So what did you drink during your 1st pregnancy since you like salty stuff?

Hi, seems like the same as my wife. But you are able to drink other fluid, like milo, soymilk etc. My wife totally rejected them.
Sigh....i am worry that she will be dehydrated.

How abt porridge fluid? I sometimes eat porridge. Can cook porridge or buy from outside stall. Take fluid from soup also.

Hi,

I didnt know that too much vomiting is bad for them. Our next appointment with the doctor is next week. Perhaps i will give doctor a call later.

So what did you drink during your 1st pregnancy since you like salty stuff?

Of course it's bad for them. Just like stomach flu and food poisoning. Everything come out and lesser intake, no energy, no calcium, nothing.. Both will feel weak. Yes better check with them. Hope she recover fast from the MS.

I managed to drink Coke Zero and those gassy drinks. Even though that's not salty drink for sure but maybe my taste bud can still accept those gassy drinks. But after I had my medication, I stop drinking gassy drinks cause it actually not good. haha! but with the nausea medication, so far helps a lot with my nausea and didn't have chance to vomit even the feeling is there. hehe!

Does she ok with sour drinks?

How abt porridge fluid? I sometimes eat porridge. Can cook porridge or buy from outside stall. Take fluid from soup also.

We went to have braised duck porridge. While eating, she told me is not salty enough and asked me to get soya sauce for her to add into the porridge......i was thinking, "wow, that must be very salty now".

Yes, i encouraged her to take soup-based food and porridge. Hopefully she can tahan for another 3 weeks and the MS will disappear.

Of course it's bad for them. Just like stomach flu and food poisoning. Everything come out and lesser intake, no energy, no calcium, nothing.. Both will feel weak. Yes better check with them. Hope she recover fast from the MS.

I managed to drink Coke Zero and those gassy drinks. Even though that's not salty drink for sure but maybe my taste bud can still accept those gassy drinks. But after I had my medication, I stop drinking gassy drinks cause it actually not good. haha! but with the nausea medication, so far helps a lot with my nausea and didn't have chance to vomit even the feeling is there. hehe!

Does she ok with sour drinks?

Oh.....i must remind her on this. I just checked with the clinic. basically, the clinic just asked me to convince my wife to take small sip of water each time. They more worried about the giddiness that my wife feels. We should go see the doctor if she feels giddy all the time.

Sour drink is out for her. We tried lemon slice with water. That lasted for 2 days only. I still have 3/4 of the lemon in the fridge.

Oh.....i must remind her on this. I just checked with the clinic. basically, the clinic just asked me to convince my wife to take small sip of water each time. They more worried about the giddiness that my wife feels. We should go see the doctor if she feels giddy all the time.

Sour drink is out for her. We tried lemon slice with water. That lasted for 2 days only. I still have 3/4 of the lemon in the fridge.

Oh My.... She need to tackle the mindset.. Yes not easy.. but for lil baby.. she need to be strong.. too salty also not good..
You need to work hard to convince her with lots of info and fact :) pray that she's strong to fight the MS.

Oh My.... She need to tackle the mindset.. Yes not easy.. but for lil baby.. she need to be strong.. too salty also not good..
You need to work hard to convince her with lots of info and fact :) pray that she's strong to fight the MS.

Yes, i will try to talk to her again tonight.
Thanks for your encouragement.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Hi, i had tried lemon slice + water. This last only for 2 days. dont know what to do next.

Besides that, soup or other dessert soup also fluid type she can take. I remember feeling giddiness in the 1st pregnancy cos I got a lot of crazy cravings for food. But sometimes I will drink red bean soup as dessert which hydrates and provide iron too.

Hope everything goes well for her as 1st trimester passes.

My wife is having the same issue. Anything that goes in comes out within an hour. Been to a&e for drip last friday amd here we are again. Is there anything that helps ?

Was thinking hard about salty drinks - have you tried allswell starfruit drink? You might need to do some research on starfruit for pregnant ladies, but my cursory search on google shows that starfruit is ok to take?

I disliked the taste of plain water in my first trimester too, but was very worried about constipation and not enough amniotic fluid, so I forced myself to drink water. I would drink quarter glass water each time, then followed up barley water/chrysanthenum quarter glass. At least after I don't get the nauseous feeling that much. Drinking one glass can really be bloated. When I was desperate, I drank chilled/ super hot plain water - found that it tasted better than normal temp water. But then again, the elders don't really approve of drinking chilled drinks especially in first trimester (but I didn't really care).

Otherwise can research on fruit with high water content and safe for pregnant ladies (which can be eaten with salt?) I ate alot of apples and oranges too.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Besides that, soup or other dessert soup also fluid type she can take. I remember feeling giddiness in the 1st pregnancy cos I got a lot of crazy cravings for food. But sometimes I will drink red bean soup as dessert which hydrates and provide iron too.

Hope everything goes well for her as 1st trimester passes.

Hi, she hated sweet stuff, that is why dessert is out for her. Now, trying to convince her to take soup food or porridge.
Last night, took porridge and half an hour later, the toilet bowl got to "enjoy" the porridge. sigh......

Was thinking hard about salty drinks - have you tried allswell starfruit drink? You might need to do some research on starfruit for pregnant ladies, but my cursory search on google shows that starfruit is ok to take?

I disliked the taste of plain water in my first trimester too, but was very worried about constipation and not enough amniotic fluid, so I forced myself to drink water. I would drink quarter glass water each time, then followed up barley water/chrysanthenum quarter glass. At least after I don't get the nauseous feeling that much. Drinking one glass can really be bloated. When I was desperate, I drank chilled/ super hot plain water - found that it tasted better than normal temp water. But then again, the elders don't really approve of drinking chilled drinks especially in first trimester (but I didn't really care).

Otherwise can research on fruit with high water content and safe for pregnant ladies (which can be eaten with salt?) I ate alot of apples and oranges too.

Hope this helps!

Hi, for some reason, she cannot take starfruit. She takes guave cos it can be taken with the sour plum powder which is salty/sour.

I had told her the seriousness of dehydration and not taking enough water. Can see that she is trying to force herself to take water now. Spoke to the clinic and they advised us to see the doctor if her vomiting continue and not taking enough water. All this will lead to dehydration which will be serious.

Hi, she hated sweet stuff, that is why dessert is out for her. Now, trying to convince her to take soup food or porridge.
Last night, took porridge and half an hour later, the toilet bowl got to "enjoy" the porridge. sigh......

See whatever she likes, let her take it especially fruits. Soupy rice might be better if she can take it. Can also ask doc to prescribe the vit B type that can help with the nauseous issue. Some other mummies mentioned that it helps.

Hi Frankie,

i am having #2 now and he loves sweet things! I had GDM for my #1 and i am trying so hard to control the sweet tooth.

My #1 is very healthy, i can drinks lots of water and veg..

This pregnancy i shake head...

Hi, for some reason, she cannot take starfruit. She takes guave cos it can be taken with the sour plum powder which is salty/sour.

I had told her the seriousness of dehydration and not taking enough water. Can see that she is trying to force herself to take water now. Spoke to the clinic and they advised us to see the doctor if her vomiting continue and not taking enough water. All this will lead to dehydration which will be serious.

Maybe can try taking sips of water throughout the day instead of forcing it down. It might be hard in the 1st tri as she is coping with her morning sickness.
Hope she will get better in 2nd tri! Jia you.

i am having #2 now and he loves sweet things! I had GDM for my #1 and i am trying so hard to control the sweet tooth.

Now I'm having 2nd too.. Love sweet things.. but scared of having gdm too.. aduii! Still controlling as it's not good for baby..

I had my MS and bad vomiting at 3rd trimester for 1st pregnancy.. haha! everything eat, will be donated to toilet bowl in half hour. But still I force myself to eat and drink no matter I don't like it. always put this in mind "all this for baby sake.." like it or not, tired or not, still have to eat and drink for baby. cannot think of ourself. :)

Now I'm having 2nd too.. Love sweet things.. but scared of having gdm too.. aduii! Still controlling as it's not good for baby..

I had my MS and bad vomiting at 3rd trimester for 1st pregnancy.. haha! everything eat, will be donated to toilet bowl in half hour. But still I force myself to eat and drink no matter I don't like it. always put this in mind "all this for baby sake.." like it or not, tired or not, still have to eat and drink for baby. cannot think of ourself. :)

I am controlling since the start for this one. Doc already put me on a OGTT test at 15wks which i passed.
Have to do a re-test at 28 weeks, i am 22 wks now so always craving for sugary drinks... cham...... pray i can pass the 28wks again. hahaha

I am quite blessed, i didn't vomit for both pregnancy so far. I just had very bad nausea that i don't wanna eat in the evening.
Now 2nd tri, appetite is better but had to control food intake for my risk of GDM. constant starving.... My #1 is very greedy maybe becoz i "starve" myself in my pregnancy hahaha

I am controlling since the start for this one. Doc already put me on a OGTT test at 15wks which i passed.
Have to do a re-test at 28 weeks, i am 22 wks now so always craving for sugary drinks... cham...... pray i can pass the 28wks again. hahaha

I am quite blessed, i didn't vomit for both pregnancy so far. I just had very bad nausea that i don't wanna eat in the evening.
Now 2nd tri, appetite is better but had to control food intake for my risk of GDM. constant starving.... My #1 is very greedy maybe becoz i "starve" myself in my pregnancy hahaha

Hahaha!!! "very greedy" OMG! that's funny...

My 1st was too active and can't stay one place even for 5mins. Maybe also because of me also, during pregnancy I too active walk here and there both work and wkend. For food intake, follow my husband, love to eat.. haha!

My 2nd now still new.. and already started to crave for sweet drinks and foods.. 1st one, I love Macd salty fries and beef burger. almost every night will order that.

1st one was fine without any nausea nor problem, only at the last trimester, caught vomiting nonstop. Other than that, everything was awesome. 2nd now I started feel 'yucks' to rice.. and hard to accept warm plain water. but still forcing my very best..

Wished all mummies here a very smooth journey and daddies a very patience man to be by mummies side :)

Hahaha!!! "very greedy" OMG! that's funny...

My 1st was too active and can't stay one place even for 5mins. Maybe also because of me also, during pregnancy I too active walk here and there both work and wkend. For food intake, follow my husband, love to eat.. haha!

My 2nd now still new.. and already started to crave for sweet drinks and foods.. 1st one, I love Macd salty fries and beef burger. almost every night will order that.

1st one was fine without any nausea nor problem, only at the last trimester, caught vomiting nonstop. Other than that, everything was awesome. 2nd now I started feel 'yucks' to rice.. and hard to accept warm plain water. but still forcing my very best..

Wished all mummies here a very smooth journey and daddies a very patience man to be by mummies side :)

My hub is my worst enabler... He always influence me to the "dark side" very horrible.
This round he nvr bother me just limit me to drink milk tea once a wk.

Yes my #1 is super greedy, she eats double portion in school.. Imagine teacher call me and ask me if my girl is ok becoz she only eat 1 portion in sch today. hahaha

I don't like warm water so i just drink normal dispensed water but i do drink alot. like at least 1.5l per day.
Don't like rice is good, rice is carbo!

Jia you to all mummies~ I admire Frankie's effort to post in our forum, you are a good husband. :)

See whatever she likes, let her take it especially fruits. Soupy rice might be better if she can take it. Can also ask doc to prescribe the vit B type that can help with the nauseous issue. Some other mummies mentioned that it helps.

Now trying to let her eat whatever she wants. I will check with the doctor on the vit B. Thanks.

I believe it is easier to find sweet food compare to salty food. But have to control the sweet stuff. My in-laws took too much sweet stuff during her pregnancy and needs to take blood test every night at home.

Maybe can try taking sips of water throughout the day instead of forcing it down. It might be hard in the 1st tri as she is coping with her morning sickness.
Hope she will get better in 2nd tri! Jia you.

Yeah, hope she will be better in 2nd tri.........Fighting.......

Thanks for the encouragement.

My hub is my worst enabler... He always influence me to the "dark side" very horrible.
This round he nvr bother me just limit me to drink milk tea once a wk.

Yes my #1 is super greedy, she eats double portion in school.. Imagine teacher call me and ask me if my girl is ok becoz she only eat 1 portion in sch today. hahaha

I don't like warm water so i just drink normal dispensed water but i do drink alot. like at least 1.5l per day.
Don't like rice is good, rice is carbo!

Jia you to all mummies~ I admire Frankie's effort to post in our forum, you are a good husband. :)

Hahahaa....i am not a good husband......My wife still complains a lot about me......but that is secondary. Whatever my wife is going through now is something that i will never be able to understand and experience.

At times, i feel frustrated inside as why she acts in that way, why did she keep picking on me. Whatever i do or say is for her good. But to her, it is not good enough or not to her standard.

But i always tell myself, this is because her body is changing due to the little one in her. She had to bear with the vomit, giddiness and etc. Whatever i am doing now, writing in forum, checking up internet for more information can never be as tough as her.

thank you everyone for your input and encouragement. I feel good whenever i see reply for my questions.

Hahahaa....i am not a good husband......My wife still complains a lot about me......but that is secondary. Whatever my wife is going through now is something that i will never be able to understand and experience.

At times, i feel frustrated inside as why she acts in that way, why did she keep picking on me. Whatever i do or say is for her good. But to her, it is not good enough or not to her standard.

But i always tell myself, this is because her body is changing due to the little one in her. She had to bear with the vomit, giddiness and etc. Whatever i am doing now, writing in forum, checking up internet for more information can never be as tough as her.

thank you everyone for your input and encouragement. I feel good whenever i see reply for my questions.

you are doing a good job. i doubt my hub ever Google anything about my pregnancy. haha
pregnancy tends to make us moody or sensitive.
sometimes other pp concerns sounds like nagging to us on a bad day. don't take it too hard.

Hi Frankie,

You are a good husband. Relax, it takes more patience. Yes pregnant woman body and mood changed a lot and sometimes we can't control even we tried much.

I and husband almost hit the divorce button during my 1st pregnancy. same like your wife, everything my husband did was not enough and not good to me. I even can't stand seeing him in front of me, yet I always find him smelly even he just come out from shower. Everyone said I can control, I tried very hard but I still can't. I even give up and wanting to end my pregnancy. But husband are there stronger.

I'm sure you are Frankie! You did your job to search, to talk in forum to get suggestion from mummies here, the experience, the story etc. Your wife is lucky to have you :)

Thank you, Sunflower and DoubleQ and others for your support. I really appreciate it. At times, i really have no one to turn to. Luckily, i have all your support.

Thank you once again.

Nice work sir. My wife is just 10 weeks, and tomorrow is her first appointment.

Its good to understand them so that we can aid them and takecare of them better. Cheers Frankie.

Nice work sir. My wife is just 10 weeks, and tomorrow is her first appointment.

Its good to understand them so that we can aid them and takecare of them better. Cheers Frankie.

Yes sir....we are doing all we can to support them........this is the minimum we can do....

When we are at normal, doctors also advise drink more water. Previously I drink more alkaline Water because it is
1) alkaline lor, hahahaha. Less acidic la.
2)small cluster of molecules
3) smoother
4) tasteless
5) increase appetite
That resultant today I put on weight.

Hi, sis. What kind of alkaline water you are consuming?

i have to agree that it's hard taking in enough water during pregnancy. last time before i got pregnant, i could drink at least 1.5L of water per day. now, sometimes i even have difficulty drinking 800ml (my water bottle when it's full) of plain water. oftentimes have to take juice, soft drinks, bb tea etc bcos i simply hate the taste of water. plus, just drinking plain water makes me feel super bloated and uncomfortable. really hate the feeling.

in first trim, i always drank water with lemon slices. cold. cos i just couldn't take room temp/warm water. didn't help that i suffered from terrible MS.

second trim, i could basically eat/drink anything i want as MS had gone away (thankfully). still felt slightly bloated but nothing too serious.

now that i have just entered third trim, i'm having really bad acid reflux/heartburn, nausea and bloatedness. even eating just a piece of bread with water makes me feel super bloated, but i don't feel full. i'll feel like throwing up but i try to keep it in bcos i hate the feeling of throwing up. :( i also have to limit the amt of water i take now bcos i feel like i can hardly keep fluids down? it's always at my throat area, threatening to come back up. awful feeling really.

hmm...the hype on alkaline water. i still not v convinced :p

@p_eppermint can drink soup? i think any fluid will help.

can, but still feel bloated leh. basically anything that goes down my throat doesnt seem to go down completely.. more or less will have bloatedness, acid reflux or heartburn. i think mine is exceptionally bad bcos i feel it all throughout the day - even when i'm hungry and i haven't had anything to eat yet. a bit strange to have acid reflux on an empty stomach but it's true. :(

can, but still feel bloated leh. basically anything that goes down my throat doesnt seem to go down completely.. more or less will have bloatedness, acid reflux or heartburn. i think mine is exceptionally bad bcos i feel it all throughout the day - even when i'm hungry and i haven't had anything to eat yet. a bit strange to have acid reflux on an empty stomach but it's true. :(

oh bloated...i m so familiar with it :( i now is bloated whether i eat or no eat....sigh.....but mine should be old liao not digesting.

r u desk-bound? maybe do some light walking?

oh bloated...i m so familiar with it :( i now is bloated whether i eat or no eat....sigh.....but mine should be old liao not digesting.

r u desk-bound? maybe do some light walking?

not deskbound previously, but job scope became deskbound after i got pregnant. :( when i walk/stand for long i feel so tired, but when i sit for long my back/butt hurts as well. really a bit sian of this.. can't wait to pop.

me too, bloated whether or not i eat. heartburn/acid reflux whether or not i eat. gaviscon is my only saviour, but the effect is temporary. after awhile the acid reflux comes back. i think it is extremely bad for me bcos i suffered from serious gastric problems before i got pregnant. so now that i'm pregnant anything to do with digestion/stomach/gastric issues i get it like double. :(

Back