IVF with Dr L C Cheng

HOw is the injections like, the pen type or on the syringe type?

Dont be stressed ... injections come in various forms. So depending on the drugs and also the dosage. Only the FSH jab - gonalF is in pen form ... and also as you progress in the stims stage, there will be new drugs added on top of gonalf and some will be powered form mixed with solution before we syringe out and inject.

I had gone through a few stims cycle and my last stims i needed to combine a few different drugs into a single syringe and jab them from day 1 of my stims. So the drugs & dosages varies from patient And each cycle too.

Dr cheng will explain a summary of the expected during stims stage until ER or if u doing fresh transfer and he may add/adjust & prescribe the drugs after each visit and the nurses will teach u how to handle & administer the jabs.

Last edited:
Dont be stressed ... injections come in various forms. So depending on the drugs and also the dosage. Only the FSH jab - gonalF is in pen form ... and also as you progress in the stims stage, there will be new drugs added on top of gonalf and some will be powered form mixed with solution before we syringe out and inject.

I had gone through a few stims cycle and my last stims i needed to combine a few different drugs into a single syringe and jab them from day 1 of my stims. So the drugs & dosages varies from patient And each cycle too.

Dr cheng will explain a summary of the expected during stims stage until ER or if u doing fresh transfer and he may add/adjust & prescribe the drugs after each visit and the nurses will teach u how to handle & administer the jabs.
I am scared of needles.

I am scared of needles.

By the way did Dr Cheng tell u the number of silent follicles during the baseline scan? He just told be good all quiet and no cyst ready for injections.

By the way did Dr Cheng tell u the number of silent follicles during the baseline scan? He just told be good all quiet and no cyst ready for injections.

He would usually just show me the dark patches of antral-follicles and said we r good to start stims.

He would usually just show me the dark patches of antral-follicles and said we r good to start stims.
BOught the book you recommended, arrived yesterday.

Btw, today is the day 2, any I do not have any symptoms. Wonder if my body is responding.

BOught the book you recommended, arrived yesterday.

Btw, today is the day 2, any I do not have any symptoms. Wonder if my body is responding.

Everyone respond differently. I only started having symptoms because of high estrogen after 5-6days of jabs.

Good luck for ur stimulation and dont read too much into symptoms. Let nature takes it cause and u are under good hands of dr cheng and mefc.

Hi,dear. Thanks for the information. ☺
I am same age with you. No gov fund. I have done two fresh ivf cycle in sgh. No ET yet. Have two freeze d2 embryo. May do FET at Nov. If i fail FET,may consider to chang to private hospital.
Is your frozen embryo transfer forzenbat blastocyst stage?

Everyone respond differently. I only started having symptoms because of high estrogen after 5-6days of jabs.

Good luck for ur stimulation and dont read too much into symptoms. Let nature takes it cause and u are under good hands of dr cheng and mefc.

My simulation was abandon on Tuesday. only 2 follicles (3mm and 4mm day 6) left ovary and the lining was thin too.

My simulation was abandon on Tuesday. only 2 follicles (3mm and 4mm day 6) left ovary and the lining was thin too.
Very strange, last month I have 6 follicles on Day 4 without simulation, this month only 2 with simulation.

Very strange, last month I have 6 follicles on Day 4 without simulation, this month only 2 with simulation.

Our body produces different no. Of follicles each month... so i am not surprised on the different no. Of follicles each month.

Are u trying for another cycle ?

Our body produces different no. Of follicles each month... so i am not surprised on the different no. Of follicles each month.

Are u trying for another cycle ?
Will try next month. Dr Cheng said will decide to go stimulation or natural later. He said if natural that means the patient accepted that she will have only one or two follicles.

Wonder what is the difference between Mini and natural IVF.

Will try next month. Dr Cheng said will decide to go stimulation or natural later. He said if natural that means the patient accepted that she will have only one or two follicles.

Wonder what is the difference between Mini and natural IVF.

I am not sure about mini/natural ivf though ... did he explained the difference ?

Hi Daylesford,

In the book " its start with the egg" it suggest those with diminish ovarian reserve to take 300mg Ubiquinol and DHEA.

But in the HSA website, there is a limit dosage of 150mg per day for CoQ10 (the other form) and DHEA is actually a controlled health supplement under Poison act.

Do you have any knowledge on these 2 products?

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/dam/h..._policies/health_supplements/hsguidelines.pdf

upload_2017-10-21_10-22-21.png

upload_2017-10-21_10-21-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-21_10-21-32.png
    upload_2017-10-21_10-21-32.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 267
I didnt take DHEA before. Take these supplements based on your personal comfort level and also if u have any other under lying conditions, then better consult dr before you take them.

I didnt take DHEA before. Take these supplements based on your personal comfort level and also if u have any other under lying conditions, then better consult dr before you take them.

Dont think will take DHEA. i will probably add Vitamin e and increased ubiquinol from 100 mg to 200mg.
May I know how much ubiquinol were u taking?

Did inform Dr Cheng that I am taking ubiquinol, he told me no need to stop during IVF.
As for Vitamin E, i think there is no harm.

Were you on birth control pills before the simulation?
I suspect the Birth control pills affect over-suppressed me.
First scan on Day 4 scan without any medication and simulation shows 6 follicles.

Don’t know if this is the cause.
Dr did not say what he intend to do for the next cycle.

Were you on birth control pills before the simulation?
I suspect the Birth control pills affect over-suppressed me.
First scan on Day 4 scan without any medication and simulation shows 6 follicles.

Don’t know if this is the cause.
Dr did not say what he intend to do for the next cycle.

Yes i was always on BCP throughout all my stimulations as well as frozen embryos transfers cycles. But i have polycystic ovaries so my protocols arent too good a comparison for you.

Anyway each IVF treatment is a gambling game Maybe you may want to discuss with dr cheng on the rationale of using BCP for ur case and if he intends to make any changes to the subsequent stims protocol.

Hi Daylesford

Does Dr loh kim gek do accupunture too? I am thinking to switch to her. I was told by Dr assistance many of the patient who went to her got pregnant.

Hi Daylesford

Does Dr loh kim gek do accupunture too? I am thinking to switch to her. I was told by Dr assistance many of the patient who went to her got pregnant.

No dr Loh KG doesn't do acupuncture. Her treatment is solely brew tcm herbs. I go to dr zou for acupuncture. Yes and I had a friend with her who bfp with dr Cheng too.

No dr Loh KG doesn't do acupuncture. Her treatment is solely brew tcm herbs. I go to dr zou for acupuncture. Yes and I had a friend with her who bfp with dr Cheng too.

I was thinking going to Dr loh kim gek for "Tiao " the health and Dr Tan Kian Sing for Accupunture?

Dr Zuo maybe too far for me and heard waiting time is long. Will Dr Loh refer any Dr for accupunture?

I am not sure but i doubt so since she practices internal tcm only & it has been proven that patients can get pregnant without acupuncture.

So it all depends on our individual body’s constitution and also if the person believes if one should also require tcm /acupuncture during ivf treatment.

I am not sure but i doubt so since she practices internal tcm only & it has been proven that patients can get pregnant without acupuncture.

So it all depends on our individual body’s constitution and also if the person believes if one should also require tcm /acupuncture during ivf treatment.

Does your friend do accupunture with Dr Zou?
When did you do accupunture? Before (during injections) and after egg retrieval? During transplant?

Does your friend do accupunture with Dr Zou?
When did you do accupunture? Before (during injections) and after egg retrieval? During transplant?

Yes... Also with dr zou. I did acupuncture for more than a year with dr zou and only stopped after ET.

I see. Before simulation do you had your accupunture sessions? To tiao the ovaries?

Yes ... i religiously went for twice a week of acupuncture for a more than a year.

I dont think acupuncture helps in egg quality. It helps us better ovulate, warm the womb and also helps with endo lining.

I also went to Dr Zhou for accupunture.

However, Im wondering if I should stop after my FET? Anyone continue to go even after FET?

I also went to Dr Zhou for accupunture.

However, Im wondering if I should stop after my FET? Anyone continue to go even after FET?

Its up to your personal comfort if you will want to continue acupuncture after your ET.
Also u may want to check with yr ivf dr too.
Are u with dr lc cheng too ?

Usually the older we are, our egg quality will be compromised too. High FSH & low AMH means its diminished egg reserve but it doesn't necessarily equate to poor egg quality. For me, my egg quality was bad despite having low FSH and high AMH. And there is no way to know our egg quality till we do one cycle of stimulation. Anyway IVF is a gambling game... there is no one standard stimulation protocol which fits everyone. We just need a golden embryo & nice endometrium to make implantation happen.

For lifestyle change, i cut down alot of carbo and took more proteins and greens. Also cut down on sugary stuffs and eliminated caffeine, cold & cooling stuffs. Was also on a regular exercise regime to keep my weight at bay. Sleep early every night too.

Yes i was on CoQ10 - Ubiquinol before my last fresh cycle. I was also on TCM, acupuncture, blackmore conceive well ,5mg/folic acid & royal jelly.

We need to do our due diligence by researching on side effects on all these supplements which we buy online. Eg : royal jelly is not suitable for those ladies with cysts or growths etc.

Will recommend this book - It starts with the Egg by Rebecca Fett from Amazon. Its a good read on how we can improve our egg quality.

Yes if time is against u, u should consider doing time freezing / embryos banking prior 45. I had a friend also with dr cheng who did more than a cycle of stimulation and stored her blastocysts for subsequent usage. Shes now pregnant with twins too :)

Will taking blackmore conceive well overlapped with other vitamins?

Eat like granny ???

For my diet pre stims and for fet preparation, i still take carbo in the morning. Lunch i would usually take oats, flexaseeds/flexmeal with chia seeds. Dinner will be more in proteins (high fat fish, lean meat, eggs) , salad with a little carbo.

I cut out all caffeine while preparing for my IVF stims cycle, fet and even in pregnancy.

Only difference in my diet was after 1st scan during my stimulation where i had many follicles i progressively increase my proteins intake to 10egg whites per day till the day prior my egg retrieval. Otherwise, just maintain a protein rich diet will do.
Have you try Quinoas? Quite tasty

Will taking blackmore conceive well overlapped with other vitamins?

If your concern is overdosage, then u will probably want to google whats our daily recommended dosage and decide what to take. Else what are your other considerations ??

Hi ladies, I'm new to this thread, hope you all doing well

I'm with Dr Cheng and had done 2 FETs with him, first time transferred 2 5AA embryos none stick, second time transferred 2 5BB embryos and tmr will be my blood test...anyways, been doing home pregnancy tests this time and all negative..I guess at least I won't be as shocked as the first time when I heard I'm sorry from Dr Cheng..

I've been seeing TCM Tan Kian Sing during egg retrieval and first FET, I duno if his accupunture has helped or not, but doesn't seem that way for preparing my lining. The second FET this time I didn't see any TCM at all I got even better lining. But anyhow...it's still not working for me..

I've aldy done another cycle with another doc before dr Cheng and ended up with a chemical pregnancy, but now thinking back, chemical pregnancy is at least a better result than non implantation at all?? Sometimes I do feel like Dr Cheng approach to put me on lucrin suppressing my ovaries might be too much for me so ended up 2 big negatives...

Hi Sweet_BabySoul,
Sorry to hear your previous BFNs but hang in there for your upcoming bhcg.

I had always been on lucrin for my 3 trigger jabs as well as my 3 FETs with Dr Cheng.
Out of 3 FETs, 1 was BFN while 2 were BFPs. Lucrin used during FET is to suppress our body and just concentrate on endometrium growth.

I don't think the reason of our ovaries being over-suppressed will result BPN for FETs. Usually BPN are attributed due to 3 key reasons - 1) Embryos quality issues, 2) Immunology issues , 3) Uterus/ Endo lining issues.

I was with Dr Zou for acupuncture throughout all my IVF journey but I switched to Dr Loh Kim Gek for her TCM herbs for my latest FET in this April n her herbs worked miraculously on me.

I had thyroid issues and was worried that I may have elevated antibodies which prevents embryos from implanting. Prior to seeing Dr Shiela, I was talking to Dr Cheng on having Intralipids infusion too but aborted the idea. I was recommended to see Dr Shiela Vasoo who is an immunologists with specialization in sub-fertility at Mt E Novena.
She ran through a series of blood-works (5-6 tubes of blood) and true enough I had slight elevation of thyroid antibodies and was put on steroids - prednisolone 2 weeks prior my last FET and this FET cycle worked out and I am currently in Trimester 3.

Do you still have good quality frozen embryos with MEFC ?

5AAs are very good quality blastocysts. For your case where you had multiple failures despite transferring good grades blastocysts, I will recommend that you may want to consider seeing an immunologist to get immunology blood works done to make sure that there are no show stoppers from your body's immune system. Also, you may want to consider endo-scratch too...

Meanwhile Good Luck for your blood tests.... :)

Yes ... i religiously went for twice a week of acupuncture for a more than a year.

I dont think acupuncture helps in egg quality. It helps us better ovulate, warm the womb and also helps with endo lining.

Hi, does it help you in thickening your lining? I am looking at acupuncture to thicken my pathetic lining.

Hi Sweet_BabySoul,
Sorry to hear your previous BFNs but hang in there for your upcoming bhcg.

I had always been on lucrin for my 3 trigger jabs as well as my 3 FETs with Dr Cheng.
Out of 3 FETs, 1 was BFN while 2 were BFPs. Lucrin used during FET is to suppress our body and just concentrate on endometrium growth.

I don't think the reason of our ovaries being over-suppressed will result BPN for FETs. Usually BPN are attributed due to 3 key reasons - 1) Embryos quality issues, 2) Immunology issues , 3) Uterus/ Endo lining issues.

I was with Dr Zou for acupuncture throughout all my IVF journey but I switched to Dr Loh Kim Gek for her TCM herbs for my latest FET in this April n her herbs worked miraculously on me.

I had thyroid issues and was worried that I may have elevated antibodies which prevents embryos from implanting. Prior to seeing Dr Shiela, I was talking to Dr Cheng on having Intralipids infusion too but aborted the idea. I was recommended to see Dr Shiela Vasoo who is an immunologists with specialization in sub-fertility at Mt E Novena.
She ran through a series of blood-works (5-6 tubes of blood) and true enough I had slight elevation of thyroid antibodies and was put on steroids - prednisolone 2 weeks prior my last FET and this FET cycle worked out and I am currently in Trimester 3.

Do you still have good quality frozen embryos with MEFC ?

5AAs are very good quality blastocysts. For your case where you had multiple failures despite transferring good grades blastocysts, I will recommend that you may want to consider seeing an immunologist to get immunology blood works done to make sure that there are no show stoppers from your body's immune system. Also, you may want to consider endo-scratch too...

Meanwhile Good Luck for your blood tests.... :)

Thank you for all your info and Happy for you in your 3rd trimester!

The reason why I was wondering if the suppressing ovary approach suits me is becoz with the first doctor I saw, I only had to take oral tablets for the FET cycle and without any contraceptive pills before that. I had a low beta and it's almost gone before I knew it. But that vey first cycle I only transferred one 5CA blast and it sort of sticked. So comparing to the two FETs with Dr Cheng where I had 2 5AAs and 2 5BBs but none of the 4 implant at all, I can't keep wondering if his FET approach might not fit my body...

After the last cycle of failed FET, Dr Cheng intro me to Dr Koh to check for immune system stuff. And yes, like 5-6 tubes of blood were taken.....and my report was normal. But what I actually wanted to check was the NK cells? But Dr Koh said he doesn't do that and Dr Cheng at that time say it's not necessary to check it..I enquired about endo scratch too and he also said it was not scientific proven more appropriately no one know how is the best way to perform the scratch. I didn't insist anything as I was a lil scare of the idea of scratch my womb...so I went ahead with the current transfer without changing anything..

Btw, what is the indicator in your immune report showing the thyroid issue? Maybe I can check my number again if I had that item..

Catherine also intro me to check with Dr Zou or Dr Loh. I think I'll do that but Dr Zou is very far for me as I stay in the south..and Dr Loh is so packed her schedule, she asked me to queue in Tong Chi I havnt done yet a bit hesitated for the long morning queue and stuff...I'm thinking to see Dr Xia Rong at paragon, seems no need to queue with appointment, have anyone heard of her..?

I still have one good quality embryo left in MEFC, but I'm really doubltful to just go ahead for another FET coz I don't wanna waste it... :(

Back