Hole in heart for child

Hi pokey82, thank you.. I am trying to stay positive, right now I stopped thinking negatively, subconsciously I think I hav accepted the fact of his heart defect, just really hoping things would not worsen by the time he is out.. but i still dun like people asking about my pregnancy..

I understand how u feel.. when the doc told me a OHS may be required if the balloon procedure (also insert from thigh/groin area) fails, I also very sad although I understand they are telling me possible scenario and prognosis..

Do u have manjit (dr Shankar assistant) number? I dun have it, but from the ladies here, she seems to be really helpful esp getting subsidied rates with dr Shankar.. Hope the ladies here can help u soon!

Hi pokey82, thank you.. I am trying to stay positive, right now I stopped thinking negatively, subconsciously I think I hav accepted the fact of his heart defect, just really hoping things would not worsen by the time he is out.. but i still dun like people asking about my pregnancy..

I understand how u feel.. when the doc told me a OHS may be required if the balloon procedure (also insert from thigh/groin area) fails, I also very sad although I understand they are telling me possible scenario and prognosis..

Do u have manjit (dr Shankar assistant) number? I dun have it, but from the ladies here, she seems to be really helpful esp getting subsidied rates with dr Shankar.. Hope the ladies here can help u soon!
I just Google and call his Gleneagles clinic directly at 64797718. The no. Is transfer to Manjit mobile ;)

I will make an aptm to see him will update u after i see him.

I may also just go polyclinic get referral to nuh. May not see him there thinking what nuh doc will suggest.

I just Google and call his Gleneagles clinic directly at 64797718. The no. Is transfer to Manjit mobile ;)

I may also just go polyclinic get referral to nuh. May not see him there thinking what nuh doc will suggest.

All the best! Wish u good luck!
As a mummy (and me as a mummy to be) all we Wan is the best for our child.. yes pls update me, I will pray for u and ur Daughter too..
Take care and stay strong

Anyone here have use Dr Nakao Masakazu as their surgeon . Thank You
My son did the surgery in KK hospital last week , Sinus Venosis , 10mm hole , Surgery done by Dr. Ong Kim Kiat , he is in private practice but comes back to KK hospital to assist as there are not many doctors in Singapore that does baby heart surgery now , I heard from the nurses he trained many heart doctors in Singapore before,
I am very pleased with the level of service , care by the doctors and nurses provided by KK Hospital , they are very good , my son was back home 4 days after surgery , recovering well.

My son did the surgery in KK hospital last week , Sinus Venosis , 10mm hole , Surgery done by Dr. Ong Kim Kiat , he is in private practice but comes back to KK hospital to assist as there are not many doctors in Singapore that does baby heart surgery now , I heard from the nurses he trained many heart doctors in Singapore before,
I am very pleased with the level of service , care by the doctors and nurses provided by KK Hospital , they are very good , my son was back home 4 days after surgery , recovering well.
Glad that everything is well. At least now surgery done we can get on with our life not worrying about the status of the hole anymore.

Glad that everything is well. At least now surgery done we can get on with our life not worrying about the status of the hole anymore.
Thank you for your good wishes , did you get your kid surgery done as well ? by which doctor may i ask ?

Thank you for your good wishes , did you get your kid surgery done as well ? by which doctor may i ask ?
Hi Chris yes I went ahead with the surgery with Dr shankar for my kid last mth. May I check for your surgery method doc cut through middle chest or from sideway less invasive methods?

Hi Chris yes I went ahead with the surgery with Dr shankar for my kid last mth. May I check for your surgery method doc cut through middle chest or from sideway less invasive methods?
Cut through middle chest , recovering well , i am giving my son a natural supplement to minimise the scaring . I met DR Shankar before as well , all good for your kid ?

Yup she is doing very well, in fact she is discharge 4days after surgery too. Dr shankar did the less invasive cut from sides so supposed to be less invasive as didn cut through the ribcage. She is jumping and running less than 1 mth post ops. I didn supplement anything now just keep applying scar gel religiously. Cannot ask for more already.
Mind to share what natural supplement u giving.

Hi all, I'm new to this thread and reading all your entries here gave me a form of comfort.

My 10-month-old son has recently been diagnosed with LPA sling and complete tracheal ring(s). These conditions wouldn't come to light without his bronchiolitis that went on for 2 months from mid December 2017. His x-rays were a bit off and after 5 admissions involving a CT scan, a bronchoscopy and an angio CT, the respi team finally diagnosed him. We were seeing Dr Michael Lim in NUH (nice guy and his explanations were crystal), and Prof Daniel Goh and Dr Mahesh in his absence.

Once diagnosed, Dr Mahesh said that on the respi side (complete tracheal rings), surgery to fix his trachea is not urgent as he's doing fine and well up till 10 months now. However, he advised us to see his friend from NUH Cardiac, Dr Sriram Shankar, to get his opinion on the cardiac side (LPA sling).

We saw Dr Shankar last Monday and although he showed measurements on how small the lumen of the trachea is, the consultation seemed pretty rushed. I just got a text from him this morning, saying that the sling needs to be fixed whereas the trachea depends on how it is pre and post op, but thought most probably not to be disturbed. He'd like to schedule the op in the next 2 weeks (!!!).

Mommies whose had your LOs gone for op performed by him, may I ask if he walked through the procedure with you before hand? The alternatives, details on duration, post op recovery, etc?

Thank you.

[QUOTE="Shakina Razale, post: 8624692, member:

Hi Dr Shankar will explains to you but if you have any queries at any point of time,
just text him or his assistant. He is a very experienced cardio surgeon and hope everything goes well to your baby.

Take care.[/QUOTE]

Hi all, I'm new to this thread and reading all your entries here gave me a form of comfort.

My 10-month-old son has recently been diagnosed with LPA sling and complete tracheal ring(s). These conditions wouldn't come to light without his bronchiolitis that went on for 2 months from mid December 2017. His x-rays were a bit off and after 5 admissions involving a CT scan, a bronchoscopy and an angio CT, the respi team finally diagnosed him. We were seeing Dr Michael Lim in NUH (nice guy and his explanations were crystal), and Prof Daniel Goh and Dr Mahesh in his absence.

Once diagnosed, Dr Mahesh said that on the respi side (complete tracheal rings), surgery to fix his trachea is not urgent as he's doing fine and well up till 10 months now. However, he advised us to see his friend from NUH Cardiac, Dr Sriram Shankar, to get his opinion on the cardiac side (LPA sling).

We saw Dr Shankar last Monday and although he showed measurements on how small the lumen of the trachea is, the consultation seemed pretty rushed. I just got a text from him this morning, saying that the sling needs to be fixed whereas the trachea depends on how it is pre and post op, but thought most probably not to be disturbed. He'd like to schedule the op in the next 2 weeks (!!!).

Mommies whose had your LOs gone for op performed by him, may I ask if he walked through the procedure with you before hand? The alternatives, details on duration, post op recovery, etc?

Thank you.
Hi my gal was operated under him and his team in nuh. I know how you feel like all of a sudden someone telling you can go for ops in the next 2 weeks. Everything seems too fast to be digested. I am very glad that I met him and his my gal surgeon. When I see him for the first time he also mention anytime I'm ready can operate already. Feel lost as not much full details given but in fact it's really that straight forward in their point of view. My gal is doing well now after her asd closure surgery.
Maybe you can prepare some qns for him instead of waiting for him to tell u. Like for me I ask him qns like how long the surgery, need stay how long in icu or hospital after surgery etc. All this can let you have a better idea but end of day these are just a guage. He told me my gal surgery prob need 2 to 3 hrs and need to warded for 5 to 7 days post ops. Can jump around in 1 mth time but in end my gal surgery took almost 5 to 6 hrs and she was discharge at day 4 post ops. Jumping and running after 2 to 3 weeks post ops.

Last edited:
Hi my gal was operated under him and his team in nuh. I know how you feel like all of a sudden someone telling you can go for ops in the next 2 weeks. Everything seems too fast to be digested. I am very glad that I met him and his my gal surgeon. When I see him for the first time he also mention anytime I'm ready can operate already. Feel lost as not much full details given but in fact it's really that straight forward in their point of view. My gal is doing well now after her asd closure surgery.
Maybe you can prepare some qns for him instead of waiting for him to tell u. Like for me I ask him qns like how long the surgery, need stay how long in icu or hospital after surgery etc. All this can let you have a better idea but end of day these are just a guage. He told me my gal surgery prob need 2 to 3 hrs and need to warded for 5 to 7 days post ops. Can jump around in 1 mth time but in end my gal surgery took almost 5 to 6 hrs and she was discharge at day 4 post ops. Jumping and running after 2 to 3 weeks post ops.

Hi, may I know how old is your girl when the op was done and how big was the hole? Did Dr Shankar also share the risks of the operation etc?

Also, would a surgery mean that they are completely healed or could recur?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi, may I know how old is your girl when the op was done and how big was the hole? Did Dr Shankar also share the risks of the operation etc?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Hi There ,
My son had sinus venosis , 10mm hole , was operated at 10 months old at KK hospital by Dr.Ong Kim Kiat,
he was the teacher for a few of the current surgeons doing baby heart surgery , discharged after 4 days , completely well , will not require further surgery . For a open heart surgery , there are always risk involved .
I did consult Dr. Shankar as well before .
I ws very fortunate to get Dr. Ong to do the surgery as he just returned to KK hospital from private practice to assist the hospital , being a singaporean , i paid through my medisave and the rest were subsidised be the government .

Thanks a lot in advance.
My gal did her surgery at 3+ years old. For any surgery there are risks involved. He was very confident that asd closure for my gal was easy. However there still be that few percentage where surgery will fail etc. Even if we chose to use device to close up hole not open heart surgery there are also risk. My gal case was able to try device when she is older however we are not comfortable with a foreign object in her body all her life and thus we chose open heart surgery. She was discharged 4 days after ops too as everything is well. Dr shankar also see me in nuh and thus the fees was greatly subsidies. So far review is good after ops, according to what dr say asd closure surgery do one time and fix it for life.

Hi There ,
My son had sinus venosis , 10mm hole , was operated at 10 months old at KK hospital by Dr.Ong Kim Kiat,
he was the teacher for a few of the current surgeons doing baby heart surgery , discharged after 4 days , completely well , will not require further surgery . For a open heart surgery , there are always risk involved .
I ws very fortunate to get Dr. Ong to do the surgery as he just returned to KK hospital from private practice to assist the hospital , being a singaporean , i paid through my medisave and the rest were subsidised be the government .

Hi,

May I know why did you choose Dr. Ong to do the surgery over Dr Shankar? I am a bit lost now too. My boy was diagnosed with VSD since first day of born. Under monitoring at kkh and check, started with 6 monthly and then changed to annually, was told he is well and hope the hole will close up itself. But this year check, just found out that the valve may be affected by the hole and dr said he recommended to do surgery. I am not sure whose to seek 2nd opinion from. Any advice please?

Dear pokey,

May you please pm me. Would like to know how to arrange subsidized consultation with dr Shankar. Thanks!

Hi I am sorry to hear about your boy's condition. Have you call Manjit and seek for her advice? She is a helpful lady and she can provide some guidance for you.
But if you wish to go NUH for subsidy rate, I think the referral letter from Polyclinic is a must. We chose the C-class wards, which offered the highest subsidy level.
My son's hospital bill all charged to Medisave account after the govt subsidy.
For me, the most important is the surgeon and medical team. We're really appreciated the team 's effort, the service and treatment was professional, caring and outstanding. We felt very confident and assured my son in their hands.

If you have any more queries, feel free to pm me.

Take care.
Dear rachelclk,

Would appreciate if you could pm me please? Thanks.

Hi, I’m 20 weeks pregnant now. After FA SCAN done at thomson, we got further referred to KKH for more conslusive scan. It was found out that my baby have a hole in the heart, & TGA condition & may have other symptoms (unknown as of now). My husband and I felt that the world crash on us when doctor told us baby has a congenital heart defects as our family history do not have any. Did OSCAR scan only, as we both are only 26 this yr. OSCAR results everything turns out fine.
Everything came to a shocked at FA scan (wk 20).
Now doctor advice me to do Amniocentesis & CMA test to confirm baby have no other Down syndrome. What do you all suggest?

Many advise me to look for Dr Shankar from NUH. But currently we are with thomson medical under private, how can we go about doing from here, & to be under subsidized rate patient so we can use our medisave to pay for the bills

Hi,

May I know why did you choose Dr. Ong to do the surgery over Dr Shankar? I am a bit lost now too. My boy was diagnosed with VSD since first day of born. Under monitoring at kkh and check, started with 6 monthly and then changed to annually, was told he is well and hope the hole will close up itself. But this year check, just found out that the valve may be affected by the hole and dr said he recommended to do surgery. I am not sure whose to seek 2nd opinion from. Any advice please?
My boy has hole in heart too. He patched up the hole when he was one year old with Dr Shankar in year 2006. My boy is fit for all sports, but not competitive, and is doing well physically and academically. First few days in Children ICU may be daunting, but hang on there, your child will be fine.

Our baby has maligned VCD measuring 2.9mm at 21 weeks scan. I am hoping someone with a child with similar condition can let me know your experience on management of the condition and treatment, and whether life goes on as per normal after operation.

Any input at all will be much appreciated. Please PM me.

Hi There ,

Dear Maymei,
My daughter is 10months old and she has just found out 2 holes 4mm and 10mm in kk hospital yesterday. We are really shock and can not believe what happen with my little girl. But i know i need to be strong mommy and fact with this true

May i know how you contact or request Dr. ONG KIM KIAT to do surgery. Did your son also open the heart and must stop his heart at that time. How long can he recover in ward and at home?
I m vey glad to heard your reply soon.
Thank you

My gal did her surgery at 3+ years old. For any surgery there are risks involved. He was very confident that asd closure for my gal was easy. However there still be that few percentage where surgery will fail etc. Even if we chose to use device to close up hole not open heart surgery there are also risk. My gal case was able to try device when she is older however we are not comfortable with a foreign object in her body all her life and thus we chose open heart surgery. She was discharged 4 days after ops too as everything is well. Dr shankar also see me in nuh and thus the fees was greatly subsidies. So far review is good after ops, according to what dr say asd closure surgery do one time and fix it for life.

Hi,

I have heard of the duration of stay in hospital to be from 7 to 10 days. Approximately 4 days in ICU and 3 to 5 days in normal ward.
4 days after ops is consider quite fast or normal period for kids? What kind of monitoring is done for them after the ops?
My girl is turning 2 this year and will be having her heart surgery by end of the year.

Appreciate if you share with me regarding the heart surgery process.

Thanks!
Rhea

Dear mummies,
My bb is diagnosed with VSD 5mm at 9 days old at kkh cardiac clinic. I am hoping that the hole will close by itself. Anyone has similar exp to share with me? I am so worried upon hearing this news.

Dear mummies,
My bb is diagnosed with VSD 5mm at 9 days old at kkh cardiac clinic. I am hoping that the hole will close by itself. Anyone has similar exp to share with me? I am so worried upon hearing this news.
Hihi,
How do you found out about the hole? Did your baby display any symptoms?

PD detected a heart murmur at birth and referred me to kkh cardiac clinic. The doc did a heart scan and diagnosed the 5mm vsd.
Did the doctor recommended surgery or monitor to see if the hole will close?

I heard VSD is more critical than ASD as surgery is always within a few mths after birth.

Did the doctor recommended surgery or monitor to see if the hole will close?

I heard VSD is more critical than ASD as surgery is always within a few mths after birth.
The doctor asked me to see him in 3 weeks time when bb is 1 mth old. Did not mention surgery yet and told us to monitor the baby. I am praying hard that the hole can close by itself. Can I check what are the symptoms for VSD? Will it get worse as bb grows?

The doctor asked me to see him in 3 weeks time when bb is 1 mth old. Did not mention surgery yet and told us to monitor the baby. I am praying hard that the hole can close by itself. Can I check what are the symptoms for VSD? Will it get worse as bb grows?
My girl has ASD and the review is every 4 to 6 mths time. The surgery for her can be done during her toddler years.

As for VSD, i have one cousin's kid who had that and he has his surgery done at 6 months old. I have asked the cardiac doctor before on the differences. As it is on different chambers of the heart, VSD affecting the lower chambers will have more critical impacts than ASD. As it affects the health in their very early years so it is recommended to do closure within a few months of their life.

My girl has ASD and the review is every 4 to 6 mths time. The surgery for her can be done during her toddler years.

As for VSD, i have one cousin's kid who had that and he has his surgery done at 6 months old. I have asked the cardiac doctor before on the differences. As it is on different chambers of the heart, VSD affecting the lower chambers will have more critical impacts than ASD. As it affects the health in their very early years so it is recommended to do closure within a few months of their life.
Thanks for the info. I am very shocked by this news and cant imagine that a baby needs to undergo surgery at such a young age. I can only wait for the follow up appointment with the cardiac doctor n see what he says.
Ur gal has undergone the surgery and all is well?

Thanks for the info. I am very shocked by this news and cant imagine that a baby needs to undergo surgery at such a young age. I can only wait for the follow up appointment with the cardiac doctor n see what he says.
Ur gal has undergone the surgery and all is well?
No problem :)

My girl is still on her checkups and see what the doctor says. Was not able to accept but i guess this is the defect we have to fix and go through with them.

I want to know more about the surgery process and the after care in ICU and dependency ward but so far not much info on this yet.

Does your baby display any symptoms like breathless or poor feeding?

No problem :)

My girl is still on her checkups and see what the doctor says. Was not able to accept but i guess this is the defect we have to fix and go through with them.

I want to know more about the surgery process and the after care in ICU and dependency ward but so far not much info on this yet.

Does your baby display any symptoms like breathless or poor feeding?

It will be good to know more on the surgery process and after care if really requires surgery. I did email one of the person who posted but she did not reply too.
My baby will pant after feeding but able to feed well and increasing weight so far. For now, i just monitor his feeding and breathing to make sure that he is ok.

Hi can i check the open heart surgery will leave any mark on the body? my baby has asd of 0.3mm. KK cardio dr said most of the time will close. but im still worry

Hi @Liping 19 can i check how many mm is ur baby hole? mine is 0.3mm i schedule to do a echo scan on july. so worrying now

Hi @Liping 19 can i check how many mm is ur baby hole? mine is 0.3mm i schedule to do a echo scan on july. so worrying now
Mine is 4.7mm, after the echo scan. I also gg back for follow up in Jul. How come u know the size of the hole when you have not done the echo scan? 0.3mm is very small, should be able to close off by itself.

Mine is 4.7mm, after the echo scan. I also gg back for follow up in Jul. How come u know the size of the hole when you have not done the echo scan? 0.3mm is very small, should be able to close off by itself.
baby did echo scan few days after his birth cos he also have minor heart valve issue during detailed scan but did not find out got hole , that day before discharge, saw his face like abit black so was put to special care for monitoring then dr order echo scan and found he also got tiny hole in the heart

baby did echo scan few days after his birth cos he also have minor heart valve issue during detailed scan but did not find out got hole , that day before discharge, saw his face like abit black so was put to special care for monitoring then dr order echo scan and found he also got tiny hole in the heart
How old is your baby now? I heard that small hole will close off by itself. I am also praying hard for the hole to close off by itself. Have to be positive and go through this with the baby.

How old is your baby now? I heard that small hole will close off by itself. I am also praying hard for the hole to close off by itself. Have to be positive and go through this with the baby.
current 7mth, praying for all of us

It will be good to know more on the surgery process and after care if really requires surgery. I did email one of the person who posted but she did not reply too.
My baby will pant after feeding but able to feed well and increasing weight so far. For now, i just monitor his feeding and breathing to make sure that he is ok.
I did went google and read up about surgery and after ICU care. Seems like initially will have lots of tubes in their body but its the standard procedure for heart surgery and most of the time all kids recovered very well after this.
Anyhow how's the recent checkup? Any signs of the hole closing?

I did went google and read up about surgery and after ICU care. Seems like initially will have lots of tubes in their body but its the standard procedure for heart surgery and most of the time all kids recovered very well after this.
Anyhow how's the recent checkup? Any signs of the hole closing?
The hole is still large as of the latest checkup and doc gave med. He said will monitor and see if the hole will shrink as the bb heart grows. Every 3 weeks will go follow up for now. Praying hard for my bb and staying positive is all we can do now.

The hole is still large as of the latest checkup and doc gave med. He said will monitor and see if the hole will shrink as the bb heart grows. Every 3 weeks will go follow up for now. Praying hard for my bb and staying positive is all we can do now.
Do you mean the size increase from previous checkup? My girl hole also large but doc never gave medi. May I know what's the medi for?

Do you mean the size increase from previous checkup? My girl hole also large but doc never gave medi. May I know what's the medi for?
The doc nvr measure the size but told us that the hole is considered large. The med given is diuretic, to pass more urine so as to reduce the workload of the heart.

The doc nvr measure the size but told us that the hole is considered large. The med given is diuretic, to pass more urine so as to reduce the workload of the heart.
Oh the checkup doc never did the echo scan? How long your baby need to take this medi?

Oh the checkup doc never did the echo scan? How long your baby need to take this medi?
The doc got scan but he said he nvr measure the size. The med was given at the last checkup that is 2 weeks ago, so will review again next week and see how. The doc did say that he hopes to monitor till bb is 6 mths old to see if the hole will close.

The doc got scan but he said he nvr measure the size. The med was given at the last checkup that is 2 weeks ago, so will review again next week and see how. The doc did say that he hopes to monitor till bb is 6 mths old to see if the hole will close.
May I know who is your baby's consultant? Mine is Dr Jonathan which I find him to be quite meticulous and nice.

May I know who is your baby's consultant? Mine is Dr Jonathan which I find him to be quite meticulous and nice.
The first 2 checkups were Prof Tan as I was under private. After that, I switched to subsidized, so the last checkup was Dr Jonathan. For subsidized, they told me no fixed doctor. You are under private?

The first 2 checkups were Prof Tan as I was under private. After that, I switched to subsidized, so the last checkup was Dr Jonathan. For subsidized, they told me no fixed doctor. You are under private?
Ya mine should be private as its always Dr Jonathan. But he will always measure the size of the hole hmmm....

Back