Thermal Pot

pen88n

Any mummy out there has tried cooking with thermal pot and can share experience?

Which brand is better - some people said the small one is not as good, is that true? I need one for 1 adult and 2 kids - what size to get?

Recipe - anyone out there have tried cooking rice in thermal pot? I'm looking at having a simple 1 dish with rice (stew chicken, potato and carrot with white rice) or dish mixed with rice (claypot chicken rice) for dinner with my kids.

Lastly, anyone knows where to get good price thermal pot? I saw some from departmental store - small less than 2l costs $40+. Please advise.

Thanks.

Recently brought one 6L Endo thermal pot at Tangs. Got sale-selling at $79 (NTUC 5L selling at this price). Can cook for a family of 5. Comes with a recipe booklet. Saves electricity. Food tastes as gd as using slow cooker but minus the electric bill.

mine is LA gourmet, bought about $99 two years ago. Good for cooking soup but I still prefer slow cooker.

Think I bought a LA Gourmet or something like that from Courts about couple of months back. So far, so good. Nothing broken and still it can keep the contents hot. Use it mostly to cook soup. With the escalating prices for electricity, I think there should be some savings boiling soup with the thermal pot compared to using a slow cooker. If you boil the soup in the morning, by evening the pot is still hot (not very hot but good enough). Amazing....

Hi hi, Ya support whacker fully! We use the same, LA Gourmet, not that this brand is fantastic, but for a 6L pricing from Courts, quite ok la.

However, pls note that there is some spec about having to fill up to certain capacity for effective cooking and heat retaining. Thus, for small families, DO NOT buy one that's too big. We regretted a little for oversizing, and ended up haf to spend a little more time to boil a little longer. Still, there's lots of savings.

Hey, for your info. OG is having offer for Thermal pot @$49 for cardmember till 11 Aug 2008. Back by popular demand !

It has two compartment, 5Litres and 2Litres. Good for cooking soup and porridge.

Anyone to share recipe ?

Hi Everyone,

Maybe just one contribution here - soup. As I am a soup person! Haha.

- 1/3 or 1/2 of a pumpkin, cut into big cubes.
- Pork ribs (~ 400 grams)
- ~ 3-4 Honey dates? (Mi Zao)
- ~ 8-10 red dates

Wash all the ingredients, and run some hot water over the pork ribs. Then boil water with the internal metal pot unit (DO NOT USE THE EXTERNAL VACUM UNIT OVER FIRE). Next, throw in all the ingredients (except pumpkin) and continue boiling for about 10 mins. Then add in the pumpkin and continue boil for around 5-10 mins. After a total of about 15-20 mins of boiling, remove the soup from fire and put into the thermal unit to continue cooking (Making sure the lid is closed tight and handle locked.

The soup should be ready for consumption after 4-5 hrs.

Note: The ingredients amount I shared is appropriate for a 6L pot, thus, you may want to reduce the portions for smaller pot unit. Pls ensure soup and ingredients amounts to about at least 3/4 full for better heat retaining within pot.(Do refer to your guide book for more accurate measurement).

I also used this pot alot during confinement period just six months ago to boil the red dates tea, and Thank GOD it really helped safe alot of electricity.

Lastly, I read some receipes for cooking fried rice and desserts, will share more with further experimenting.

One more thing to share, I read that the external vacuum pot can double up as an ice box as well! Great invention right? Hehe.

Thanks, ladies, for all the sharing.

I'm quite determined to get a thermal pot, though not in a hurry as I'm looking for a smaller size one (2.5 - 3.5L) on a smaller budget. Thought I'll wait for some sales
happy.gif

Hi all, think i've come across some mummies organizing a BP/spree on thermal cookware/pot/flask. Maybe can search the forum? Remembered one by Beng's Ma ...

Hope it info is helpful.

I am a very long time user of thermal pot and got many people to benefit from it. Bot eons ago when NTUC first promoted at about $30 and started using and is still functioning just as well.

Excellent for fixing porride for Sunday lunch after church.

1. Boil rice
2. Add seasoned minced pork, tiny ikan bilis from dry food store.
3. Optional add diced long beans or any preferred veg.
4. Slow simmer. Remove from fire into the pot.
5. If porridge too thick, then add boiled water before servng.

This is my grandchildren's sunday fare.

Another excellent dish is beef shin soup or stew. Buy at Tekka at $10/kg.

1. Cut in big slices. Brown with non stick pan. Season. Put in inner pot. Add boiling water. Bring to boil, simmer short while. Put in pot.
2. 1 hr later, remove and boil again, simmer and put back in pot.
3.Depending on softness preferred, can repeat no.2 4.Bring back to fire. Add diced big onion, red and white carrots. Simmer and put back to fire.
4. After another 2 hrs, ready to have a nutritious soup complete with meat and veggies.

If prefer to make as stew, use less water and cut down amount of seasoning - ie salt and pepper/minced ginger.

Be creative. Can substitute with potatoes, celeries, etc.

So far I have never failed to 'wow' those I fed.
Enjoy.

Hi all,
I have a 6L Thermos Shutter Chef RPC-6000W to let go at $290,
brandnew, still in box,
let me know if keen.

BP is selling at $330.

Thanks.
happy.gif

Hi Yeow Hearn,

Thanks for sharing the receipes.

As I have never use a thermal pot before, so for the beef stew, if prepare them in the morning before I am off to work and I stopped at step 2 and by the time I come back after work, will the stew be soften? Or will it become over cooked since I left it like more than 8 hrs.

Cheers

Hi all,

I recently bought a Shutter Chef. Tried for the 1st time cooking Lotus soup. Started to boil the soup for 15mins at 12.30 before putting it into the Thermal pot but at 6.30pm. But when we took the soup out, the soup do not taste as good as those that we boil.

Can anyone advise whether is this the norm or I have done something wrong.

Hi Janice,

Not sure if I'm too late in giving advise. I'm using 6L Thermos Shutter Chef. It comes with 2 small pots & 1 big pot.

Not sure what size you are using. If I'm only need one of the small pot, I'll fill the 2nd pot with water & bring the water to boil for 5 mins then put the 2nd pot on top of soup pot. This is to ensure that the whole thermal pot is hot enough to cook.

As for soup, I will boil the water first, then put in the ingredients. After water is boiled, let it cook for about 5 mins then put in the thermal pot. Even 3 hrs is enough.

Feedback from my mum & other frens that the soup is good leh. Initially my mum don believe it will taste as good. After she tried, she swears by the pot.

May I know which model or where I can buy a thermal pot with 2 layers like 1 pot for soup another pot for others or rice?

I bought the shuttle chef (4litre i think) which comes with 1 pot only. Where can I buy the tray to put on top like to steam rice?

Is the endo brand good? Saw OG selling at $40 with redemption of points - for member.

Hi lili

U mean u got the "Insert Bain Marie"? Sounds expensive. Did u order and they delivered it to you? Cost about S$40, how about shipping charges from Australia.

I now own this shuttle chef with a single 4.5 litre pot.

http://www.thermalcookware.com.au/main.php?mod=Shop&file=Product&cat=5&pid=3

I have only 2 person in my family so our soup is usually only half full in the pot when cooking. I'm wanting to buy another top pot so that I can put it on the top to cook rice at the same time when I cook my soup.

Does this "Insert Bain Marie" top pot able to fit into my single 4.5 litre pot?

While buying a non stick cookware, the first thing that needs to be checked is the coating which is used.Non stick cookwares coated with Teflon is harmful for Human Body. It has a substance called Carcinogen which can initiate cancer. There are several coating which are 100% natural.Ecolon is one of them. Neoflam is manufacturing non stick cookwares coated with Ecolon.

I have both la gourmet and endo. I would think ENDO one is cheap and good. And yes, it can cook rice. Normal, I save time, gas and electricity by cooking both soup and rice in the same thermal pot. Rice on the top (boil rice and water till water boils) and soup at the lower portion (boil 10mins) and then stack them together into the thermal pot. I will cook it in the morning and then can serve at night.

When my rice cooker isn't working, I used the thermal pot lower portion to cook rice for 5 pax. No difference at all. I like these thermal pots very much.

WTS La Gourmet Thermal Cooker 7L $75 Brandnew Without Box

Brought this set at Takashimaya at $116.00 on Oct 2011.

Never use before but already throw away the box only to realize later that this set is too big to prepare soup for two person.

(Please see receipt attached) Link: http://db.tt/AZ9f9oYD

Condition 10/10

Interested, pls contact me at [email protected]

Thank you for your interest.

Posted: 13 Dec 2011

Hi all please help. I am looking for a National SR-FU18AN rice cooker inner pot. national supplier said it has been discontinued. My rice cooker is still in good condition but not the inner pot. Please advise .....

Back