Advice needed: only had my period once this year

Meowington

Hi all, I'm not sure where else to seek for answers so I thought I should write here.

I'm 24 years old and have always experienced irregular period since I was a teen, they usually skip about 3 or 4 months and everyone have been telling me that it's normal. However the older I get the more longer the intervals are. For example last year I only had my period twice, and after 7 months of no period, it came again in March 2017 and that was the last time. Now it's October and I'm starting to be worried about infertility because my partner and I are already beginning to talk about settling down and having kids in the future.

I should add that I'm not overweight, I'm also not underweight. I don't particularly do heavy exercises. I may have suffered stress and depression when I was younger. I had an eating disorder when I was a teen but I'm pretty much healthy right now. I'm definitely not pregnant, have never been pregnant and not had any abortions. I have not had any std or sti.

My mom and sister don't think it's a serious issue and that I shouldn't be too worried because to them "it's normal". I should add that my mom have already started menopause and my sister have irregular periods too except hers always only skip for 3 to 4 months and then regular again for periods of time. I did mentioned about wanting to go for a check up in the past and their response was "why so scared? If it doesn't hurt then its nothing" or if I mentioned the amount of months I haven't had my period, their response is "you already got your period lah, you just forgot. I remember you got it not long ago" but I know my body best.

So this has basically been the reason why I haven't taken steps to see a doctor, because I've been told that it's nothing, it's not a serious issue, it's normal, happens to everyone and that I'm simply overreacting. But I think the longer I let this continue, what if I'm making the damage irreversible?

So I guess my question is how do I go about to get a check up for this? I've never been a to gynae or a women's clinic.
Which affordable or cheap clinic should I go to?
Can I also go to a polyclinic instead?
And what are the costs for such checks?
How much should I prepare for treatments and
what treatment should I expect?

If you are concerned about fertility, then yes.. definitely go have it checked out..

Personally I would advise you to go for TCM treatments as western doctors usually only give short term solutions (e.g. medications), but TCM will help you improve your overall health and fertility as well.. But if you are looking for something cheap.. then TCM might be out of the question becos frankly speaking, TCM can get very expensive and some more they are not like western medications, so you might not see immediate effect..

For my own experience, I went for a few TCM consultations and something like a TCM health checkup.. The consultation is for period issues as well.. which the physician gave me some herbal medicines to drink etc.. but what I think is more helpful is that the physician also told me what kind of body constitution I have, and what kind of food I should eat more, and what kind of food to avoid..

So in the end I only went for a few consultations (becos it's expensive and the medication taste horrible), but I followed the physician's advice on my diet and I really do see improvement..

Your situation does seems more serious and you would probably need more sessions than me.. but do go and get your condition checked out early becos fertility treatments might take a long time..

There is 2 route to go. Private gynae or Public hospital subsided patient .
For private, maybe google and choose a gynae that you are comfortable with, if you have preference, like lady doc?
You can choose a public hospital gynae too but you will be consider a private patient with them.

If you don't mind the wait and dont mind any doc (male or female) then you might want to consider going to the polyclinic to get a referral.

They will do a vaginal scan and maybe pap smear if you are sexually active. Maybe a blood test to just get a sense of your health?

I think its a good thing that you are getting youself check out! Brave decision, i prefer to deal with things in the face also rather than guessing. JIA YOU!

Woman with pcos don't have regular menses. The best is to check with gynae. U can goggle more on pcos symptoms. It's not serious but not normal. If u are trying to conceive u may need medical help.
Pte gynae first consult can range from 150 dlr to 200 plus. Public hospital is cheaper. For first timer it's better to choose pte if u can afford it cos they are more detail n probably gentler in their approach.
Consultation usually follow by vagina or abdominal scan if u are not comfortable with vagiina scan. U can share with your gynae your concern.

Back