Advise needed on Mirena

jovialz

Anyone is using Mirena (a form of IUD) or tried Mirena before. Can share your experience ?

I used to have bad menses cramp and now expecting my no. 2. We intend to stop at 2 but I'm hopeless in remembering to take contraceptive pills etc.

I had my mirena inserted Feb 17, 11. My daughter is now 5 months old. However, since I've inserted Mirena, I have a large amount of hairloss.

On my first pregnancy, I had hairloss around the same time, but it was not significant at all. However this time, it is alarming.

There are many reason why I have hair loss. It could be post partum (but last time I did not experience this bad hair loss), also can be rebonding (I did rebonding early Feb but I did not have hair loss until I inserted Mirena), or it can be Mirena itself.

My gynae told me that Mirena is not the reason, but if you google Mirena and hair loss, there are a lot of bad review.

My hair is really thin now that even my dermatologist said so (which made me worry more).

Both dermatologist and gynaecologist cannot find the link with Mirena, but the dermatologist is asking for me to consider removing it.

I like that it is so convenient, but I am seriously considering of removing Mirena. Will wait first for a while to see if my hair loss is reduced. I hope i is all pregnancy related and its not caused by Mirena.

i had my mirena inserted 2yrs ago , for me no weight gain , no hair loss ,and no cramp , menses rduced by 90% sometimes no menses at all , but the bad points is i hv functional cyst ( according to gynae its normal ) and could sometimes feel pain on left ovary (again gynae said its normal )but i dun like the feeling of having a cyst in my body , i tried YAZ pill and side effect almost killed me so i guess i will continue with mirena and see how

i inserted after i weaned the kids so i am nt sure , but a thing to note , ever since i have mirean i hv migarine during menses ( i never hv migarine all these while ) and my temper is bad , and i always hv this panic attack and anxiety , if u google side effect of mirena u will find many women hv this also . i am thinking of removing it but pills dun wk on me so i hv to wait and see how
sad.gif
((

I'm getting my inserted next week. Does anyone have any more feedback to share? I have hypertension and I'm terrified by all the horror stories of acne and weight gain. Not to mention some had their uterus perforated by it!

i had mirena inserted for less than 1 year & it dropped out without me knowing it. Now, I am pregnant with my 4th child.

It's not that safe as I thought.

it reacts differently for all individuals ..
mirena has hormones with it.. u can always opt for the one without hormones (IUCD)

Oh my. Vivian, it dropped without u knowing?!?! That sounds scary. N is it that small?

All ur replies are useful to prep me as I m considering this as a contraception. May I know when is a gd time to insert this aft delivery if used as contraception?

Any mummy using this? What is the charges to insert and remove after 5yrs?

Last edited:
Hi ladies, this thread has been quiet for awhile now.

Reviving it to see if anyone else has done Mirena recently and what is their experience.

I am getting it inserted because of very painful cramps before menses so my gynae said this would help. I sure hope so coz it's gonna cost $600!

But hearing about the side effects of weight gain, hair loss, etc is quite alarming! Coz already enough hair loss from having kids.

Please do share your experience/thoughts/knowledge on Mirena.

There is no one fixed answer for everybody. Everyone's body reacts differently to hormones.

Some swears by higher dosage bcps some thinks lower dosage bcps are perfect. and there's always others on the other end of the spectrum.

the only way to find out if mirena works if the persno tries it themselves and mitigate the problems. first 3 months tend to be unstable but there after should be more routine and do make sure get annual review.

Back