IVF with Dr L C Cheng

I am a patient with dr lc cheng and i did my ivf with him in 2010 and conceived my no.1 and now currently preggie with my no.2 via ivf with him too.

Thanks for the reply.

I am 43yr old and will be 44 yrs old in 4 months.
My test result is very negative.
AMH = 0.07
FSH = 11.5
AFC antral follicle count= only can see 3 follicles on each ovary, total 6.

I think my chances is super low. tomorrow will be seeing Dr Cheng for discussion.
I like to know :
1) are you using fresh embryos transfer or frozen embryos transfer?
2) Will all the frozen embryos survive during thawing?
3) each Egg collection and blastocyst and freezing of eggs is consider per cycle (without implantation?
4) Will they charge if Egg collection is cancel?

Thanks in advance.

DKCH,

I just turned 41 and my condition is at the opposite spectrum. I have PCOS and can produce many follicles but of very sluggish quality.
I did 3 fresh cycles with Dr Cheng. My 2nd cycle ended up with only a poor quality blastocyst and I did not proceed with Embryo transfer. I subsequently changed my lifestyle & TCM and for 3rd fresh cycle, Dr Cheng also changed his stimulation protocol and this time we managed to get 1 good quality blastocyst and 3 other average quality ones. My embryos fertilization and growth knock out rates were extremely high (60+ eggs retrieved down to 4 freezable ones on day 6 )

So don't be too demoralized, its the quality and not quantity that counts. You just need a golden embryo/egg to make things happen.

Are you seeing TCM ?

1) Both my BFPs, I did FET with Dr Cheng as I wanted my body to rest after all the stimulation jabs. Then I subsequently prepared my body for FET prior my embryo transfer.

2) For my first cycle, it was done at Thomson Fertility Center and the embryos thaw survival rates were terrible with very high knock out rates. My last FET was with Mt E Fertility Center and understood from them that their embryos thaw rates were excellent as they are using Vitrification technique. True enough, I requested to thaw 1 blastocyst and it survived and got me pregnant.

3) I am not too sure on what is considered a cycle. Perhaps you can ask Dr Cheng tomorrow.

4) No, if Egg Collection or Embryo Transfer is cancelled, both Dr or MEFC will not charge for the procedure/lab fee.

Good Luck !

DKCH,

I just turned 41 and my condition is at the opposite spectrum. I have PCOS and can produce many follicles but of very sluggish quality.
I did 3 fresh cycles with Dr Cheng. My 2nd cycle ended up with only a poor quality blastocyst and I did not proceed with Embryo transfer. I subsequently changed my lifestyle & TCM and for 3rd fresh cycle, Dr Cheng also changed his stimulation protocol and this time we managed to get 1 good quality blastocyst and 3 other average quality ones. My embryos fertilization and growth knock out rates were extremely high (60+ eggs retrieved down to 4 freezable ones on day 6 )

So don't be too demoralized, its the quality and not quantity that counts. You just need a golden embryo/egg to make things happen.

Are you seeing TCM ?

1) Both my BFPs, I did FET with Dr Cheng as I wanted my body to rest after all the stimulation jabs. Then I subsequently prepared my body for FET prior my embryo transfer.

2) For my first cycle, it was done at Thomson Fertility Center and the embryos thaw survival rates were terrible with very high knock out rates. My last FET was with Mt E Fertility Center and understood from them that their embryos thaw rates were excellent as they are using Vitrification technique. True enough, I requested to thaw 1 blastocyst and it survived and got me pregnant.

3) I am not too sure on what is considered a cycle. Perhaps you can ask Dr Cheng tomorrow.

4) No, if Egg Collection or Embryo Transfer is cancelled, both Dr or MEFC will not charge for the procedure/lab fee.

Good Luck !

Thank you so much for your reply.
I intended to see TCM?
by the way what will they do beside acupuncture?

Any good one to recommend?

DKCH,

Are you seeing TCM ?

Good Luck !

How long did you rest before your FET?

Regards

How long did you rest before your FET?

Regards

I was previously with dr zou yumin from amk
But since my doom 2nd cycle, i switched to dr loh kim gek from thong chai free clinic for her herbs. (Her herbs require us to brew in electric brewer) while seeing dr zou for acupuncture.

Both dr zou and dr loh specialize in sub fertility TCM. Another famous tcm is dr tan siew buoy but and i dont have affinity with her.

My first bfp, i did a back to back medicated FET after my egg collection. Embryo transfer was about 2 months after my egg retrieval.

My latest fet, i delayed for about 5 months before my embryo transfer as i was combating with chronic sinusitis and dr loh helped me fixed my issue. So it all depends on ur body and mental readiness for the embryo transfer.

Last edited:
I was previously with dr zou yumin from amk
But since my doom 2nd cycle, i switched to dr loh kim gek from thong chai free clinic for her herbs. (Her herbs require us us go brew in electric brewer) while seeing dr zou for acupuncture.

My first bfp, i did a back to back medicated FET after my egg collection. Embryo transfer was about 2 months after my egg retrieval.

My latest fet, i delayed for about 5 months before my embryo transfer as i was combating with chronic sinusitis. So it all depends on ur body and ur mental readiness for the embryo transfer.

1) Have you heard of Dr Tan Kian Sing at Clementi? Was refer by a friend. But there are mixed reviews about him.

2) by the way which day did you do the Blood Test (to check fertility and egg reserve? Mine was done on Day 4. dont know will it affect the result as i heard should be done on Day 3.

3) 2 months ago , i had fibroid removal surgery wonder will it affect my AMH readings.

1) Have you heard of Dr Tan Kian Sing at Clementi? Was refer by a friend. But there are mixed reviews about him.

2) by the way which day did you do the Blood Test (to check fertility and egg reserve? Mine was done on Day 4. dont know will it affect the result as i heard should be done on Day 3.

3) 2 months ago , i had fibroid removal surgery wonder will it affect my AMH readings.

i heard of dr tan kian sing too and there are mixed reviews on him. He is more of an expert to treat male infertility.

I did my blood tests usually on day2/3 of my menses. I doubt if a day difference matter that much ?

Yes i heard that fibroids or any ovarian cyst surgery may at times affect our AMH readings. So best not to go through such surgeries unless really needed.

I am a patient with dr lc cheng and i did my ivf with him in 2010 and conceived my no.1 and now currently preggie with my no.2 via ivf with him too.
Sorry, you are now 41 or you were 41 in 2010?
after 43 the chances is very low, below 40s egg quality is not as bad.

i heard of dr tan kian sing too and there are mixed reviews on him. He is more of an expert to treat male infertility.

I did my blood tests usually on day2/3 of my menses. I doubt if a day difference matter that much ?

Yes i heard that fibroids or any ovarian cyst surgery may at times affect our AMH readings. So best not to go through such surgeries unless really needed.

What bis the purpose of TCM?

DKCH,

Are you seeing TCM ?

Good Luck !

Hi you mentioned 3 fresh cycles, what happened to the 3 fresh cycle?

The FETs that are BFPs are done recently?

3 fresh cycles means eggs retrieval 3 times? How much did u pay?

Yes 3 fresh cycles - 3 egg retrievals. Costs varied for each cycle due to the different drugs given and the duration of stimulation required. You will be advised on the estimated costs required for each cycle during counseling.

Last edited:
Wednesday I will be going for the counseling.
Do I need to prepare any questions?
Will I know who will be the embryologist in charge of my case?

Wednesday I will be going for the counseling.
Do I need to prepare any questions?
Will I know who will be the embryologist in charge of my case?

Yes if u have questions with regards to MEFC lab, counseling is the best time to ask. I knew My embryologist - Ng Lai Cheng prior my Egg collection and she followed through and updated me daily on my embryos growth status till there were freezable blastocysts on Day6

U had a fruitful discussion with dr cheng and planned to proceed with stimulation ?

He asked me not to panic as AMH=0.07 for my age range is normal.
He said the test is to determine whether am i super good which i am not.
He keep saying that all these test cannot determine the egg quality. Is it so?
Because many sites say the high FSH means diminish age quality. Even TCM said so.

Anyway he is very patient to answer my every question.
He said he need to do one round of egg collection and Blastocyst in order to know my egg quality.
He said he will be using Antagonist protocol.
He said this is currently the most efficient one.

By the way,

1) What life style changes have you make to improve your health?

2) Did u take any q10 coenzyme and Vitamin E?

3) Can I buy supplement off the shelf? safe?

4) have you heard of L-Methylfolate (5-MTHF)? Dr Checng said cannot found in Singapore.
This is the folate that the body can absorb, folic acid is “synthetic” form of vitamin B9. iherbs is selling. dont know is it safe?

https://www.dietvsdisease.org/l-methylfolate-5-mthf/

5) When to see Tan Kian Sing. I think he is not too bad. My friend who refer me told me her sil has cyst after op, also have him do the accupuncture and then conceive naturally.

6) I told Dr Cheng I Am seeing the TCM and the Tang Gui and Bai Feng Wan that he gave me. Dr Cheng said is okay if he knows what he is doing. Dr cheng also remind me that need to inform the TCM before egg retrieval, day embryo transfer and after embryo transfer.

7) My plan is to have have egg collected and freeze before I reached 44 on 16th jan. and implant on the year 45. But just realized that the cut off date is birthday and not the year.

Yes if u have questions with regards to MEFC lab, counseling is the best time to ask. I knew My embryologist - Ng Lai Cheng prior my Egg collection and she followed through and updated me daily on my embryos growth status till there were freezable blastocysts on Day6

Chief Embryologist – Ms Ng Lai Cheng
She will be doing or overseeing the process?

Actually I prefer MEFC than TFE (Thomson).

The other day the Nurse dispensed only one medication for me, but I knew there were 2.
So I asked the nurse and she asked me back what is it.
I said the Dr has written on the prescription.
Seems like she did not know the medication and just ignored it.
After that I realised the label on my medications have the wrong name.
Do I need to feedback to Dr Cheng?
This is a serous problem.

By the way,

1) What life style changes have you make to improve your health?

2) Did u take any q10 coenzyme and Vitamin E?

3) Can I buy supplement off the shelf? safe?

4) have you heard of L-Methylfolate (5-MTHF)? Dr Checng said cannot found in Singapore.
This is the folate that the body can absorb, folic acid is “synthetic” form of vitamin B9. iherbs is selling. dont know is it safe?

https://www.dietvsdisease.org/l-methylfolate-5-mthf/

5) When to see Tan Kian Sing. I think he is not too bad. My friend who refer me told me her sil has cyst after op, also have him do the accupuncture and then conceive naturally.

6) I told Dr Cheng I Am seeing the TCM and the Tang Gui and Bai Feng Wan that he gave me. Dr Cheng said is okay if he knows what he is doing. Dr cheng also remind me that need to inform the TCM before egg retrieval, day embryo transfer and after embryo transfer.

7) My plan is to have have egg collected and freeze before I reached 44 on 16th jan. and implant on the year 45. But just realized that the cut off date is birthday and not the year.

Usually the older we are, our egg quality will be compromised too. High FSH & low AMH means its diminished egg reserve but it doesn't necessarily equate to poor egg quality. For me, my egg quality was bad despite having low FSH and high AMH. And there is no way to know our egg quality till we do one cycle of stimulation. Anyway IVF is a gambling game... there is no one standard stimulation protocol which fits everyone. We just need a golden embryo & nice endometrium to make implantation happen.

For lifestyle change, i cut down alot of carbo and took more proteins and greens. Also cut down on sugary stuffs and eliminated caffeine, cold & cooling stuffs. Was also on a regular exercise regime to keep my weight at bay. Sleep early every night too.

Yes i was on CoQ10 - Ubiquinol before my last fresh cycle. I was also on TCM, acupuncture, blackmore conceive well ,5mg/folic acid & royal jelly.

We need to do our due diligence by researching on side effects on all these supplements which we buy online. Eg : royal jelly is not suitable for those ladies with cysts or growths etc.

Will recommend this book - It starts with the Egg by Rebecca Fett from Amazon. Its a good read on how we can improve our egg quality.

Yes if time is against u, u should consider doing time freezing / embryos banking prior 45. I had a friend also with dr cheng who did more than a cycle of stimulation and stored her blastocysts for subsequent usage. Shes now pregnant with twins too :)

Chief Embryologist – Ms Ng Lai Cheng
She will be doing or overseeing the process?

Actually I prefer MEFC than TFE (Thomson).

The other day the Nurse dispensed only one medication for me, but I knew there were 2.
So I asked the nurse and she asked me back what is it.
I said the Dr has written on the prescription.
Seems like she did not know the medication and just ignored it.
After that I realised the label on my medications have the wrong name.
Do I need to feedback to Dr Cheng?
This is a serous problem.

U have visited TFC before ?

MEFC only oversees the laboratory / growth process of our embryos. They r not responsible for the stimulation drugs nor the stimulation protocol.

If wrong meds is dispensed to u (at wcca ?) , u must inform Dr Cheng.

U have visited TFC before ?

MEFC only oversees the laboratory / growth process of our embryos. They r not responsible for the stimulation drugs nor the stimulation protocol.

Did not visit TFC before. Don't know if the Embryologist who caused the mix up is still around.

MEFC only oversees the laboratory / growth process of our embryos. They r not responsible for the stimulation drugs nor the stimulation protocol. - Ya I know

- Its is right medication but wrong labels. they are very messy at the dispensary. Also instruction before my fibroid surgery was not clear.

Did not visit TFC before. Don't know if the Embryologist who caused the mix up is still around.

MEFC only oversees the laboratory / growth process of our embryos. They r not responsible for the stimulation drugs nor the stimulation protocol. - Ya I know

- Its is right medication but wrong labels. they are very messy at the dispensary. Also instruction before my fibroid surgery was not clear.

U did ur fibroid surgery with dr cheng too ?

Usually the older we are, our egg quality will be compromised too. High FSH & low AMH means its diminished egg reserve but it doesn't necessarily equate to poor egg quality. For me, my egg quality was bad despite having low FSH and high AMH. And there is no way to know our egg quality till we do one cycle of stimulation. Anyway IVF is a gambling game... there is no one standard stimulation protocol which fits everyone. We just need a golden embryo & nice endometrium to make implantation happen.

For lifestyle change, i cut down alot of carbo and took more proteins and greens. Also cut down on sugary stuffs and eliminated caffeine, cold & cooling stuffs. Was also on a regular exercise regime to keep my weight at bay. Sleep early every night too.

Yes i was on CoQ10 - Ubiquinol before my last fresh cycle. I was also on TCM, acupuncture, blackmore conceive well ,5mg/folic acid & royal jelly.

We need to do our due diligence by researching on side effects on all these supplements which we buy online. Eg : royal jelly is not suitable for those ladies with cysts or growths etc.

Will recommend this book - It starts with the Egg by Rebecca Fett from Amazon. Its a good read on how we can improve our egg quality.

Yes if time is against u, u should consider doing time freezing / embryos banking prior 45. I had a friend also with dr cheng who did more than a cycle of stimulation and stored her blastocysts for subsequent usage. Shes now pregnant with twins too :)

Hmm, My BMI is 24 so Dr Cheng asked me to cut some weight.
I am trying to limit my coffee to 1 cup per day, also not to drink cooling stuff.
Dr Cheng said some alcohol is okay, eat like your Grandmother? haha
What exercise are you doing?
Hope is not too late as I think my egg retrieval will be early Nov.

What brand were you using for CoQ10 - Ubiquinol ? Did you take vitamin E too?
My folic acide is prescribed by Dr Cheng, those cheap types.
my TCM said I cannot take royal jelly. (Dr Tay told me royal jelly may the cause for fibroid growths)

At what ages does your friend did the transfer? mine problem is the cut off is 45 birthday and not year. Dr Cheng has to appeal.

Btw what grade of the Embryos will the Embryologist freeze? For both of your cases?

I am trying to limit my coffee to 1 cup per day, also not to drink cooling stuff.

my TCM said I cannot take royal jelly. (Dr Tay told me royal jelly may the cause for fibroid growths)

At what ages does your friend did the transfer? mine problem is the cut off is 45 birthday and not year. Dr Cheng has to appeal.

Btw what grade of the Embryos will the Embryologist freeze? For both of your cases?

Precisely... I do not have growths so ok to take Royal Jelly.

I took Healthy Origins Ubiquinol from iherb.
Nope I did not take Vit E during preparation for Stimulation.

I had 1- 4AA, 3 - 3BBs blastocysts from my last stimulation.
2nd fresh cycle, i had only 1 - 4CB blastocyst.

Yes, even when i did my 1st cycle in 2010, I already had to do AH as my embryos had hard and thick shells.
Yes, I heard of Embryo Glue but i don't think it has been clinically proven. If embryos aren't of good quality or endometrium thickness is not adequate of optimal condition, even the glue won't help anyway.

I did brisk-walk, cycling & Cardio exercise daily & with strict diet control, I could lost 6kg in 2months.

So your BFPs are from 4AA embryos?

Dr Tay told me that Bai Feng Wan and Tang gui can cause fibroid, but the TCM still give me.
I check with Dr Cheng and he said it is okay .

Dr Tay told me that Bai Feng Wan and Tang gui can cause fibroid, but the TCM still give me.
I check with Dr Cheng and he said it is okay .

First pregnancy, I transferred Day 3 12 cell embryo so I don't know the grade of the blastocyst.
This pregnancy, YES.. I got pregnant with a single blastocyst - 4AA transfer.
MEFC were telling me that chances of 4AA implanting was high and I was lucky to get it stick on me.

hmmm.... on BFW & Tang Gui. Guess Dr Tay is an onco-gynea while Dr Cheng specializes in fertility and they r not TCM trained.
Since there are conflicting answers btw these drs, only consume at ur own comfort level ya.

Dr Tay told me that Bai Feng Wan and Tang gui can cause fibroid, but the TCM still give
First pregnancy, I transferred Day 3 12 cell embryo so I don't know the grade of the blastocyst.
This pregnancy, YES.. I got pregnant with a single blastocyst - 4AA transfer.
MEFC were telling me that chances of 4AA implanting was high and I was lucky to get it stick on me.

hmmm.... on BFW & Tang Gui. Guess Dr Tay is an onco-gynea while Dr Cheng specializes in fertility and they r not TCM trained.
Since there are conflicting answers btw these drs, only consume at ur own comfort level ya.

By the way your friend stored how many embryos for later use and what were the grades?

Dr Tay told me that Bai Feng Wan and Tang gui can cause fibroid, but the TCM still give

By the way your friend stored how many embryos for later use and what were the grades?

Basically AA and BBs blastocysts have a good chance of implantation.

Or to be explicit as long as the inner cell mass and trophectoderm are of grade A or B, they have a good chance.

Basically AA and BBs blastocysts have a good chance of implantation.

Or to be explicit as long as the inner cell mass and trophectoderm are of grade A or B, they have a good chance.

I see. Then she don't need to store a lot.
Some website has the statistics showing need to have 10 embryos to have higher chance.

Do you know what herbs your TCM give you?

I see. Then she don't need to store a lot.
Some website has the statistics showing need to have 10 embryos to have higher chance.

Do you know what herbs your TCM give you?

Doing blastocyst culture has its benefit, its a game of elimination. Usually by day 5 or day 6 ... the weaker embryos will not make it then.

I usually see my TCM on a weekly basis and she based on my current condition to prescribe a list of herbs which i need to brew. The list will comprise of different no. Of herbs (usually 15 or more diff herbs etc)

Any medication need to avoid?
I recently have migraines and I just too panadol pain. Don't dare to take my regular pain killer!

Any medication need to avoid?
I recently have migraines and I just too panadol pain. Don't dare to take my regular pain killer!

As long as its not during stimulation or after embryo transfer better seek western dr to fix the issues asap. Else if its during the above periods, u need to keep dr cheng's agreement if the medication are in conflict to the treatment.

You can join the ivf/isic support forum group on the general dos and donts during stimulation, FeT preparation. Sometimes there are dr cheng patients there too.

Can give me a summary of what are the steps from Simulation to Egg collection?
eg: Day 2 of menses go to check then start injection?
need to go to see Dr Cheng how many days apart? How Dr Cheng know the time for Egg Collection?

Then for TCm when need to stop all the chinese Herbs and medication?
Need to do 2 sessions of Acupunture before egg retrieval?

Can give me a summary of what are the steps from Simulation to Egg collection?
eg: Day 2 of menses go to check then start injection?
need to go to see Dr Cheng how many days apart? How Dr Cheng know the time for Egg Collection?

Then for TCm when need to stop all the chinese Herbs and medication?
Need to do 2 sessions of Acupunture before egg retrieval?

Steps as in ??????? During stims just need to do daily injection based on the dosage ordered by dr. Did dr cheng not gave u a summary of what's expected for the entire ivf treatment ?

When u start stimulation, dr cheng will guide u on the dosage of ur stims injections from one appointment to the next.

All ivf drs will based on the size of the follicles as a basis to determine the best time to do egg retrieval.

I did not stop my tcm nor acupuncture throughout my stimulation. So depending on ur tcm's dr instructions on ur tcm treatment regime during stimulation.

Steps as in ??????? During stims just need to do daily injection based on the dosage ordered by dr. Did dr cheng not gave u a summary of what's expected for the entire ivf treatment ?

When u start stimulation, dr cheng will guide u on the dosage of ur stims injections from one appointment to the next.

All ivf drs will based on the size of the follicles as a basis to determine the best time to do egg retrieval.

I did not stop my tcm nor acupuncture throughout my stimulation. So depending on ur tcm's dr instructions on ur tcm treatment regime during stimulation.
Today just realized that the tcm give me some herbs (powder form) and that is before ovulation.

Will check with him when I need to stop all medication next Monday.

Healthy Origins Ubiquinol, 100mg?
Singapore only have Ubiquinone.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.PNG
    IMG_0183.PNG
    511.8 KB · Views: 299
Healthy Origins Ubiquinol, 100mg?
Singapore only have Ubiquinone.

300mg based on the recommendation from it starts with the egg book. But some friends had side effects after taking that high dose. So its individual & at ur own comfort.

The fertility centre just informed me this morning, all IVF will be using ICSI, no longer using the conventional way with the dish.

How about yours?

The fertility centre just informed me this morning, all IVF will be using ICSI, no longer using the conventional way with the dish.

How about yours?

Dish ? I had done IsiC since my first ivf in 2010... So I don't really understand what's the change about ?!?!??

Back