Career in early childhood education

lms

Am currently in the midst of career switch after 13 years in banking. I am interested in a career in early childhood either Kindergarten teaching or Childcare as I like interacting with young children. Was wondering if there are any early childhood educators on this forum willing to share the pros and cons. Also for Childcare, what is the working hours like? I see that childcare is opened from 7am to 7pm....can't be teachers also work 12 hours!

Thanks in advance!

childcare do open at 12hours.. because working parents will drop the kids early in the morning before work, then pick them up after work.. if open at 9am to 5pm, I dont think will be helpful to the parents at all....

i also thinking of doing a career switch... plus i considering migrating to NZ.. and early childhood cert will be a plus

Thanks for your reply Pixie! Ya I understand the rational why childcare operating hours are longer and it make sense. I was thinking do the teachers work in shift because 12 hours is really too long....from an operational safety (teacher's well being) perspective also. I do loooove kids very much especially interacting with them. And early childhood cert does seem to have more career options.

Hi! Good to see you hv the interest. I started when i was 19 in a language school then tried kindy and childcare. So i must say must hv the passion to be with children AND parents:)

Kindergarten
pros are:
1) shorter working hrs and mostly no work on sats. But usually 2 classes(some schs hv a back to back session meaning no break but eat with chn during their snack time) as in first session say 8.15am-11.15am, then a quick lunch/break followed by pm session say ard 11:45am-2.45pm. By the time the last child goes home sometimes drag to say 3pm+..if the parent is late in fetching.
2) No need supervise for showering as no showering for kindergarten children.
3) Following moe sch holidays as in march 1 week, june, sept/oct, dec-mostly paid hoildays but we have to allocate say some weeks for plannings in sch, meetings, washing of toys and disinfecting etc.
4) Meals mostly provided..but depending on the centre/sch, one might hv to byo or pay a fee.

Cons
1) Very rushing..as in u dont really hv individual time for each child much. Cos minus off the snack time/assembly time etc..u dun hv much time left to assess the child much-you will need this individual assessment for portfolios during pt #2...
2) Parent teachers meetings/conference mostly 2 times a year..one mid year one end year..(PTM/C) are always mindblowing..cos although allocate say 10-15 minutes per child some parents exceed the time (cos no choice i understand as only can talk into detail this time)
3) portfolio case file for each child- hv to do up a detailed report for each child, so if say you hv 15 children for am session class and 15 for pm session, you will hv to do 30 portfolios each ranging at least a few pages! So mostly our holidays are burned to do at these at home.
4) Year end concerts!! Hv to chorograph dance steps/ co ordinate songs/get costumes etc. Teach chn the steps etc..(same in cc)
5) Have to answer to parents and supervisors on safety/classroom issues like chn biting each other aggression etc well this happens everywhere both in cc and kindy.
6) Cover for colleagues who mc etc on top of your own class..as such mostly days are full..not much time for breaks...even toilet breaks difficult..(same in cc)
7) Pay low..we normally hv to hv another 2nd job elsewhere as a top up..most go enrichment ctrs etc
8) Outings are hectic! Cos whole school out and u hv to watch over each of the chn..usually the whole sch day both am and om sessions combined..so say meet 8.15, go off 8.30 then finish and back at 2-3 pm...tired! (same as cc but in cc they come back still need to supervise shower/lunch/nap) cos chn goes home later when parents fetch ard starting 5 onwards
9) Plan and submit lessonplans to supervisor--depending on ur sup, it might range from a comprehensive one detailing on many aspects or just a simple lesson plan)--applies to both cc and kindy

Childcare
Mostly open 7/7.30am-7pm or some 7.30pm, but yup u r right. We work in shift. Say Some days we rotate 7am-3pm, 10-7pm, oh and think one mid shift ard 8.30-5.30, which includes an hour lunchbreak usually. But mostly we stay in the centre doing our markings, prep work for materials, meetings etc. Then some staffs are perm half day morning,

Pros
1) Much time with children and bond with them..as they are mostly full day there, some come as early as 6.45am!! And the last to leave late at 7.15/7.30pm! You get free hugs and love :)
2) U will be able to concentrate on each child more, as in today target this area of development, the other day another part. Thus more tailored individual lesson plans and portfolios
3) Longer lunchbreaks as the time is flexi..up to u, u plan urself. But subject to your supervisor approval lah..
4) Pay better (with quali + experiences)
5) Some annual leaves, so u can opt to hv your holidays during the off peak period of time.

Cons
1) Year end concerts!!! See above points same as kindy
2) PTC/M - see above same as kindy
3) Alternate saturday work 7-1/2pm/2.30 mostly
4) Must supervise during showering--thus getting yourself wet

All in all, these are just some of the points i can think of now. i must say i personally prefer childcare though working hours longer and alternate sat but i bond with the children more and see them develop over thru the years. I also get to try a wider range of teaching methods and activities in the longe sch hours there. But this is a case of individual perference..you might want to try part time first and see..cos telling u verbally does not equal to the actual classroom experience..which is really a joy:):) the first kindergarten children i taught are now in jc! And they are still in touch lol..pre school education field is actually one of the most fullfilling and rewarding jobs in my opinion :)

Last edited:
Thanks Chris! Very comprehensive points and I feel very encouraged that you are still so passionate about it after so many years.

My son started preschool last year and I have seen positive changes ever since he attended school. That was what made me consider teaching as a career.

Ya managing of parents' expectation is something I am not sure if I am prepared for. But I guess with all jobs, there are always tough people to deal with!

Can I ask is it easy to switch between full time and part time (vice versa) for this industry? I have a toddler and newborn baby, so I foresee I might need to switch around these options at different stages in life.

Yes I am trying to get a part time teacher assistant position so that I can get hands on experience. But most require a cert/diploma at least.

no problem:)

Hmm actually if u hv a cert at least should be no problem in swtiching from part to full etc but depends on the centre/sch requirements and if they allow..or if u are lucky to find at that moment of time of application..

Lingyang, you can visit ecda website. There are several institute offering the diploma: SEED, klc and singapore poly. You can even approach the preschool/cc, they have an on-job training + part time studies programme. They will even pay for your studies

On duration, approximately 1.5-2 yrs full time and 3 years part time. Actually surprise the duration is pretty long, but I guess it is dealing with young children, so better to have more training

I am also keen. Actually being looking through. My girl is in childcare but the teachers dont seem to have the passion for kid. I hope to be helping busy parents out there with their kids and really guide them. Cause kids are so innocent. When i went with my girl to her sch on first day. The kids crowd ard me as if i am the teacher. :) so cute to work wif them.

Agree the kids are so innocent and cute. My son reports back to me what they do everyday such as gardening etc. And kids never hold grudges I find.

Does anyone mind sharing how is the pay like for kindergarten versus cc? I need to work out the finances with hub before deciding......haiz.....

Actually the pay is not great, I remembered my time in 1999, I joined entry level was $900 only before cpf. Our lecturers always tells us if u want good pay dun come to this field. Our increment is very low and no extra extra bonus de hor. OT at ur own...meaning if u are the passionate kind, we mostly take work home to do or prep (mostly hv to..cos parents compare between teachers and our work to chn..they can see de)... so those personal hrs are sacrificed. A read below but the pay is somewhat not accurate, those higher range is for highly experienced and qualified principals/senior teachers/supervisor level..for entry level expect (depends on the sch) maybe ard $1500ish before cpf. A word of advise too, those higher pay ones jobs in better schs/centres mostly taken and one rarely see vacancies...And actually it is a small field..if ur attitude in teaching not good, words gets ard.. Well, not to discourage u but it is sad that it is this way in sg, and many ppl do throw in the towel after a year or so...read the news too..it's a high turnover job. A few I remembered quit just after a few days, 1 week, a month and one after a year.

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big...nt-good-pre-school-teachers-pay-more-20130406

Ya that's very low and it is sad because the work of an early educator is not easy, they are the "first" teachers that a child encounters and the teacher who will teach them about social norms. Thanks for sharing, its really helpful.

Ya that's very low and it is sad because the work of an early educator is not easy, they are the "first" teachers that a child encounters and the teacher who will teach them about social norms. Thanks for sharing, its really helpful.

hmm..if u dun mind and if ur finance allows actually can try to volunteer now first some days part time since u hv 2 young chn..im very sure centres will welcome that! cos u can get a feel on how it is hands on and yet get some experience.

I am also keen. Actually being looking through. My girl is in childcare but the teachers dont seem to have the passion for kid. I hope to be helping busy parents out there with their kids and really guide them. Cause kids are so innocent. When i went with my girl to her sch on first day. The kids crowd ard me as if i am the teacher. :) so cute to work wif them.
hehe true they are cute but some parents not that cute loh lololol:D

Thanks Chris! Ya I want to volunteer!!! I resigned last Aug before giving birth because my previous job was too stressful, many late nights in office for conference call. Also my boy begin to have attitude problem. I want to do something relating to kids coz 1) I like interacting with them 2) I also want to learn more about child psychology and behavior so I can guide my kids. You mean the centers won't mind if I just say I want to help out without getting paid? Actually that's what the SEED institute told me also, hahaha.

:eek:wah ur previous job sounds scary ..I was actually from desk bound marketing support job/admin/operations previously too..cannot bear the dirty office politics at all with ppl backstabbing and cannot fit into groups...maybe too meek to be working with 'grown ups'. If u r same sick with office politics then welcome to presch field ..well not saying completely no politics but we are more cordial lah...we address one another differently too..like teacher so and so..or miss who..etc..

yup, most would GLADLY need some kind of help one way or another. Call up some nearby centres and ask their in charge. Or can ask ur chn de centre, most likely they might not want cos of ur chn there..ur chn see might get 'sticky' lol or some teachers paiseh to work with a parent they know..but if they are open to it why not?

I think most cc centres would need help in the mornings as it is one of the most busy/activities filled times..esp in the event some one on mc or urgent matters crop up. U see most lessons are planned from 9onwards towards 10+ showering/lunch thus extra manpower there will be much needed..pm wise say 1-3 mostly naptime so not too much of help needed..

Hi-Five Chris! Ya the politics is also a factor, but like my boss told me, all job got "sh*t" jus depends what kind of "sh*t" you can take, hahaha. Ya I will call up some nearby cc. I don't think my son principal will allow me to help out at their kindy, kind of awkward for the teachers also. Really thanks for your help, nothing beats hearing first hand experience from someone

Hi, been in the early childhood field for coming to 18 years. my first batch of kids are already in uni! I feel so old but i do feel a sense of achievement
Am currently in the midst of career switch after 13 years in banking. I am interested in a career in early childhood either Kindergarten teaching or Childcare as I like interacting with young children. Was wondering if there are any early childhood educators on this forum willing to share the pros and cons. Also for Childcare, what is the working hours like? I see that childcare is opened from 7am to 7pm....can't be teachers also work 12 hours!

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I've been in the early childhood field for coming to 18 years. my first batch of kids are already in uni! I feel so old *shudders* but i do feel a sense of achievement when i see what they have achieved. i still keep in touch with some of their parents.

When i started off, my pay was a measly $700 a month but these days, starting salary for someone without a cert is about $1300+ above. working hrs generally range from 8.5 hrs to 9.5 hrs, depends on your centre. For diploma trained teachers, the pay is around $2400 to $3300+, depending on your organisation. salaries generally are higher for those in childcare as compared to kindy. Of cos, if u go all the way to degree or masters, you can draw a much higher salary n position though nowhere near corporate salaries in other professions. But the feeling u get when u are with the kids is just something u don't get in other jobs. these days i don't interact as much with kids cos i'm at management level n train teachers. but i can tell u, it's easier to work with kids than adults!

If u want to find out more or if u need some help for referrals to enter the industry, u can pm me. :)

Thanks Franch! Feel so encouraged to see educators so passionate after so many years! I have contacted wda for the 1 week traineeship programme. This is a 40hr work attachment that will allow me to have first had experience in the role. To be honest, I am really looking forward to the attachment. I am also interested in pursuing further studies on early childhood (or special ed) later on, I feel it is a very interesting field and there seems to be many areas one can go into. I personally think EC education is very important for a child's development. I am glad the government is placing alot of emphasis on this now.

Will let you know how my attachment goes and contact you later. Thanks for sharing!!

Hi, would like to tap on this thread to find out whether anyone successfully did a mid-career switch to early childhood industry? Anyone took the IELTS? Is it tough?

hello mummies, I was thinking to have a career switch to preschool teacher, and interested to take Diploma in early childhood education (teaching Chinese). May I know where did you take the course? May I have your review for the training provider below?
-KLC
-NIEC

thank you so much :)

I am considering a career switch to pre school teacher as well. I wonder if there is a forum for it as I can't find many reviews/ forum about the job scope and the school options and school life. It has been awhile since i went to school again. Anyone has any input?

Hi ladies! Offering my input as an Early Childhood Educator (CC) for a local anchor operator. Been in this industry for 3 years now. I did a career switch from media industry to teaching. Got my dip from Seed Institute back then. My dip was also sponsored by my CC, with an 18-month bond.

If considering schools, I would always recommend NIEC bc it has a better reputation. Teachers are also good there.

when considering a career switch I think there are lots of things you have to think about. Passion in this industry is not enough I think. You need so much patience bc you’re not just dealing w kids but also parents who can be quite inconsiderate and rude as well as the usual politics. EC has good career advancement options though.

not sure what else you ladies would want to know, reply and I’ll try my best to help!

Hi ladies! Offering my input as an Early Childhood Educator (CC) for a local anchor operator. Been in this industry for 3 years now. I did a career switch from media industry to teaching. Got my dip from Seed Institute back then. My dip was also sponsored by my CC, with an 18-month bond.

If considering schools, I would always recommend NIEC bc it has a better reputation. Teachers are also good there.

when considering a career switch I think there are lots of things you have to think about. Passion in this industry is not enough I think. You need so much patience bc you’re not just dealing w kids but also parents who can be quite inconsiderate and rude as well as the usual politics. EC has good career advancement options though.

not sure what else you ladies would want to know, reply and I’ll try my best to help!

Hi COsyKat,

Hows the transition like, is it like a major shock when u switch from media industry to CC?
Is there any teaching materials to be referred to? and are u happier after doing the switch?

Was contemplating whether to do a mid life career switch to CC teacher as well, apart from the low salary, im actually more worried about the fact that i may not be able to teach the kids well.. haha different from teaching my own kids lol

Hi, been in the early childhood field for coming to 18 years. my first batch of kids are already in uni! I feel so old but i do feel a sense of achievement

Hi, I've been in the early childhood field for coming to 18 years. my first batch of kids are already in uni! I feel so old *shudders* but i do feel a sense of achievement when i see what they have achieved. i still keep in touch with some of their parents.

When i started off, my pay was a measly $700 a month but these days, starting salary for someone without a cert is about $1300+ above. working hrs generally range from 8.5 hrs to 9.5 hrs, depends on your centre. For diploma trained teachers, the pay is around $2400 to $3300+, depending on your organisation. salaries generally are higher for those in childcare as compared to kindy. Of cos, if u go all the way to degree or masters, you can draw a much higher salary n position though nowhere near corporate salaries in other professions. But the feeling u get when u are with the kids is just something u don't get in other jobs. these days i don't interact as much with kids cos i'm at management level n train teachers. but i can tell u, it's easier to work with kids than adults!

If u want to find out more or if u need some help for referrals to enter the industry, u can pm me. :)
Hi Cosycat,

I am looking for a part time teacher for my son. Able to come my place 2-3x/week.

if you have any friends or even yourself us keen, pls drop me an email at [email protected]
Thank you

Back