Empty pregnancy sac & gyane advised to evacuate

cherrimaine

Hi mummies,

I need some serious advice.

I went for a scan and the scan estimates that I am about 5 weeks pregnant. The sac is empty, gynae cant find anything in the sac. He asked me to go back for a scan next week. If during the next scan the sac is still found to be empty, he will perform "evacuation" on the spot.

(This is my 2nd pregnancy. The first pregnancy, I had empty sac at 5 weeks. During then I had a different gynae, That gynae told me to visit him again 2 weeks later. At 7 weeks, the scan was very positive, strong heartbeat and healthy looking peanut shape embryo.)

I can't stop thinking what my current gyane told me about the "evacuation". As he was scanning, he was telling me "This is unhealthy. I have 2 other customers also having empty sac. Maybe it's some virus in the air. No good."

When i told him my first pregnancy is similar that I had empty sac at 5 weeks, he just repeats "But no, this is unhealthy".

When I told him I was bleeding abit 2 days ago during intercourse (i google, many woman bleeds and it can be due to increase in blood flow or sensitive vessels during pregnancy), he just said "it's unhealthy. Well, you can continue with intercourse not an issue." without explaining further what could have caused the bleeding or what could be happening.

The "evacuation" cost is $4000. When I asked the receptionist whether can claim insurance, she replied "u have to check with your insurance agency. You can claim ah? (eyes suddenly open very wide)" after informing me about the procedure. At that point, I felt that she wasn't empathetic with what I am facing.

My first gyane didn't ask me to evacuate, instead he asked me to wait 2 more weeks and now my baby is very healthy, strong at 2 years old!!! I was thinking If i had my 2nd gyane as my 1st, as a first time mum, I would have followed his advice and i will not have my boy now.

I am not going back to 2nd gynae for now. Going to seek 2nd opinion next week also and do a scan again.

Any mummies facing the same or similar issue of pregnancy sac? Did your gynae advise you to evacuate? Is there a need to evacuate?

Last edited:

I would say 5 weeks is early to determine whether it's a viable pregnancy or not. No hurry for d&c. Wait a couple more weeks. Week 7 will likely see hb. I've read story of mama seeing hb only at week 9. Sounds like miracle but sometimes it does happen. :)

definitely wait , esp u personally have a similar success story. Doc doesn't sound good or supportive type .

also, yr this gynea shld explain all the different methods shld any pregnancy is not viable. not just evacuation, I guess that's D&C. Mine explained 3 methods when I had miscarriage. Wait naturally for the preg to terminate, take a tablet to speed up the process (cytotec/ misoprostol) or D&C.

Good that u are going for 2nd opinion! Baby dusts to u :)

Hi mummies,

I need some serious advice.

I went for a scan and the scan estimates that I am about 5 weeks pregnant. The sac is empty, gynae cant find anything in the sac. He asked me to go back for a scan next week. If during the next scan the sac is still found to be empty, he will perform "evacuation" on the spot.

(This is my 2nd pregnancy. The first pregnancy, I had empty sac at 5 weeks. During then I had a different gynae, That gynae told me to visit him again 2 weeks later. At 7 weeks, the scan was very positive, strong heartbeat and healthy looking peanut shape embryo.)

I can't stop thinking what my current gyane told me about the "evacuation". As he was scanning, he was telling me "This is unhealthy. I have 2 other customers also having empty sac. Maybe it's some virus in the air. No good."

When i told him my first pregnancy is similar that I had empty sac at 5 weeks, he just repeats "But no, this is unhealthy".

When I told him I was bleeding abit 2 days ago during intercourse (i google, many woman bleeds and it can be due to increase in blood flow or sensitive vessels during pregnancy), he just said "it's unhealthy. Well, you can continue with intercourse not an issue." without explaining further what could have caused the bleeding or what could be happening.

The "evacuation" cost is $4000. When I asked the receptionist whether can claim insurance, she replied "u have to check with your insurance agency. You can claim ah? (eyes suddenly open very wide)" after informing me about the procedure. At that point, I felt that she wasn't empathetic with what I am facing.

My first gyane didn't ask me to evacuate, instead he asked me to wait 2 more weeks and now my baby is very healthy, strong at 2 years old!!! I was thinking If i had my 2nd gyane as my 1st, as a first time mum, I would have followed his advice and i will not have my boy now.

I am not going back to 2nd gynae for now. Going to seek 2nd opinion next week also and do a scan again.

Any mummies facing the same or similar issue of pregnancy sac? Did your gynae advise you to evacuate? Is there a need to evacuate?

Most gynae would say it's too early at 5 weeks. HB can be detected at 6 weeks earliest. Otherwise usually by 8 weeks, should be able to detect.
Sorry to say this but I don't trust this gynae at all. Why don't you go to your 1st gynae?

I think u should wait and don't see this gynae. Go back to your first gynae which help u previously in this similar matter.

Hi i need to get some advice/support.
I am 40. I conceive naturally for my 1st baby. I found out that i am pregnant somewhere in July after i missed my period. I went to see gynae, but he couldnt see anythg then coz its too small. I was told to come back two weeks later. On 17/8/18 i did my first scan and i was so happy to hear that there are heartbeat. Bby still tiny though. Last Fri (7/9/18) i had some spotting so i went to A&E at KKH. The gynae scanned my abdomen but she say its unclear so have to do vagina scan. After the scan she told me that the sac is empty and there is no baby. She told me that its a possible miscarriage. I am now very down and sad. I do not have any heavy bleeding or blood clot just some dark brown blood after the visit. She told me to wait for my next apptment on this 14/9/18. I would like to knw if anyone else have such encouters or any advice pls. Thank you!

Im in this too...i hav all d pregnancy symptoms minus the MS...

went for my first check with NUH obgynae on 13aug ...as i was having spottings also. (Started 1 wks plus) after i check the Pregnancy test kit on 1st Aug. Dr wasnt too great i might say. Had a scan only to see just the Gestational sac. She say may be miscalculated date but due to spottings some may just end up in MC... prescribed me duphaston n c her in 2 wks times...

We decided to chg Dr to TMC instead 3 wks later. My spottings stop after few days of that duphaston btw.

U/s done but still see the gestational sac but no yolk sac or fetal pole frm wat i saw the sac is slightly bigger than the 1st scan... Dr did mentioned also that this may be unhealthy pregnancy or miscalculated date. Prescribed me with duphaston again n due to see him next wk Tues. Hopefully it gonna be a good news ..

Back