Babies/kids with G6PD Deficiency?

Also favism and g6pdd are two different conditions.. All ppl with favism have g6pdd but not all ppl with g6pdd are sensitive to fava beans

Hi
Sorry mummies. Been away from this thread for a while. My son uses ru yi oil from birth too and he is fine with it.

He also uses both Vicks and baby vicks and again no issues. I only use vicks when I have no access to baby Vicks.

I know some g6pd kids who can't touch mint. But it's not that common. I think it depends on different individuals.

On a separate note, I believe that it is quite hard for mummies to check in here all the time. I'm keen to set up a g6pd whatsapp group just for us to support one another. Any mummies interested, pls pm me your mobile numbers.

Hi ! Please add me to your whatsapp group. My son is also diagnosed with g6pd at birth and all I've been doing to is trying to get more info on this condition. He's 7 weeks old now. Thanks!

Hi Cozel and other ladies,
I have 2 boys. One is 3 years and the other is 5 months. When my second son was born we found out he had g6pdd cuz he had jaundice. I was very shocked cuz I had never heard anyone to have it my family. It was then that we tested our elder son and Lo and behold he turned out to be g6pdd too... He never had jaundice as a baby. I gave him all things having soy and all legumes including formula milk. I have stopped legumes and try to avoid soy... Docs didn't have much knowledge about the condition.. But to our relief my kids paediatrician is himself g6pdd.. So we get first hand information about wat to avoid. He says that he drinks soy milk and it's very healthy. So now I don't really stop my son from eating things that have soy from time to time like cheese and biscuits.. I know it's a hard decision cuz our kids depend on us to make this choice and we don't want to harm them by making the wrong choice.
But if it's a very common condition and thousands of people don't even know they have it esp in countries where these tests r not performed like Pakistan where I'm from and they eat soy and legumes, then it's alright to take it easy and give things in moderation.
Also I believe no real studies have been performed and it's not proven that all legumes are harmful.. Just a few things I remind myself when I think too much about this and get very restless...
Babies can take pasteurised fresh goats milk instead of formula which is wat I'm going to start my baby on from 6 months..
Hi..My baby is also diagnosed witj g6pd deficiency ..his condition was same as ypur younger child..prolonged jaundice..can u help me in giving me more info about how to deal with this g6pd..iam also from Pakistan

g6pdd is actually very common. i wasnt disgnosed at birth but when i found out that my son has it, it is confirmed i have it too. i lived with a long list of drug allergies since young, including aspirin and bactrim, all on the list above, but i didnt know why, until my son was born. homemade is the way to go, but if eating out, it really isnt so bad after you get used to it. treat it like as you would a normal food allergy. that's how i educate my son. he is 2 years old and he knows he cannot eat beans. if he finds beans in the soup given to him in school (sometimes teachers cannot be trusted even you laid specific instructions), he will pick them out.

Just gave birth about a week ago, and found out that my LO has G6PD deficiency. He was in hospital for 7 days to monitor his jaundice level and did the phototherapy. Right now have to monitor his jaundice level but am afraid that it will go up since we only can only suntan him in the morning/evening.

Very worried and now I can't sleep well at night too.

actually now i only worry of 2 thing. that is soy and menthol.
i really not sure as from the card that doctor give me didnt mention of this 2 thing but most of the forum saying this 2 item cant. any advise?

Hi Eric,

Not sure whether the whatsapp group is still active a not, maybe you might want to create a new topic is Year 2016 instead. More people will be able to advise you.

For the things to avoid, I don't think soy is one of them though. My PD gave me a list when I was still in TMC, Fava beans (bian dou) and mothballs on clothes and beddings must be avoided.

Sorry mummies. Been away from this thread for a while. My son uses ru yi oil from birth too and he is fine with it.

He also uses both Vicks and baby vicks and again no issues. I only use vicks when I have no access to baby Vicks.

I know some g6pd kids who can't touch mint. But it's not that common. I think it depends on different individuals.

On a separate note, I believe that it is quite hard for mummies to check in here all the time. I'm keen to set up a g6pd whatsapp group just for us to support one another. Any mummies interested, pls pm me your mobile numbers.

Pls add me in to group chats, my contact number is 98555762.

Hi Mummies, I was searching for a support group for g6pd mummies and I came across this chat. Is the whatsapp group still active as I noticed the thread was back in 2015? I have a g6pd son and there doesnt seem to be a support group in Singapore related to this. Thanks much.

Hi Mummies, I was searching for a support group for g6pd mummies and I came across this chat. Is the whatsapp group still active as I noticed the thread was back in 2015? I have a g6pd son and there doesnt seem to be a support group in Singapore related to this. Thanks much.
If the whatsapp group is still active, I would like to join. Thks much!

My son born on July 25 was also diagnosed with G6PDD Also feeling alone and blaming myself for giving it to him.. please add me up to whatsapp group and would like to get some support 96389227 Thank you so much!

Hi. Is this thread still alive? Is there active WA grp? I have 1month old son who is G6pd deficient.

Back