Holiday with small kids - where is good?

@tiggerpooh oh dear....thot of sch hol coz its the only time can go...what abt express pass in disney? I can feel tiredness oredi talking abt it...haha

@sinnyy Having been to HK Disney & Paris Disney, dont think there r express tickets available. So yes it will be quite tiring waiting. So if u r indeed planning 2 go during sch hols, den prepared dat u will spend about a gd half day queuing.

I just came back from NZ, it ws fun for my older 2 year old child. A lot of animals visiting. So far, we have went to Japan which is very kids friendly, Aussie and NZ.

(1) Been to hkg when my son was 1 yo (went to places like Disneyland/ocean park etc).

(2) been to Perth just before his 2nd bday. Travelled to Margaret river. Very great experience!

(3) been to Bintan Canopi twice for the past 9 mths. Very nice place to relax but not cheap.

(4) been to Bangkok last mth. My son is 31 mths old. Included some kids activities such as aquarium, kids indoor playground, ferries wheel @ asiatique Night Market. Fun but very tiring as it can be quite challenging to shop when him now.

(5) gonna explore Penang this weekend. Hope it will be a fun trip!

colurmebeautiful: yes club med v ex...i calculated before and end up might be paying like $6-7k fr family of 5-6 if need air tickets as well...

i went perth with my little one when she turned 1 year old! love the place, the pace and the greens. lots of space for my little one to roam around especially ideal as she was just beginning to walk.

Hello, will be appreciated if anyone can adv the trip to Tokyo or other part of Japan, other that Disneyland any place children (6 yo) will enjoy?

Hi, are you going solely to tokyo? A list of what I do know:

1) Tokyo Dome City (theme park)
2) Yokohama Cosmo Land (theme park)
3) Odaiba Sega Joypolis (arcade)
4) Ikebukuro Sunshine City Namja Town (a small indoor theme park thou there is no translation)
5) Ikebukuro Sunshine City Pokemon Centre (one of the biggest)
6) Ueno Zoo
7) Lego Discovery Centre
8) Robot Park Roppongi Hills (it's a playground)

If you are travelling out of tokyo

1) Universal Studio Japan, Osaka (the kids area will be heaven to them!)
2) Fuji Safari Park, Shizuoka (where you can feed lions)
3) Nara Park (roaming deers you can feed)

That's pretty much all I can think of from my past trips there. Anyway, I will be bringing my (by then) 1yo baby to Tokyo soon in 24 days! It's my first time heading there as a family of 3! Am very excited and at the same time worried. I am hoping that the locals don't ostracise us cause we will be pushing a stroller. Heard that Japan isn't exactly baby-friendly despite being a nice country.

Hi all, I will be going to Hong Kong in September and my baby will be nearly 1 year old then. First overseas trip with baby. Anyone who has been to HK with a 1 year old toddler and can share their experience? I heard HK isn't baby-friendly?

@Elm

Traveling within HK: I would use the term "not stroller friendly". If u have a carrier, I think it's better den a stroller. Depending on wat r d places dat u wld b visiting, stroller may hinders more. Unlike Singapore where lifts or escalators can b found easily, we find dat taking d stairs save us time thu we had 2 keep d stroller n carry our gal.

Eating: If u r thinking of eating @ those street shops, most dont have kids cutlery It was quite stressful 4 me cos we went 2 d famous roast goose shop n thu it was after lunch hour, d staff actually told a couple 2 vacate d seats as they had finished their meals However, I had a diff experience @ another shop where they sell cheese noodles (v nice) they were quite friendly They apologized 4 not having a high chair but stacked up chairs so my gal can sit.

My overall experience on HK is dat thu it was suppose 2 b a holiday 4 me... I felt rushed.... Rushed into trains, rushed 2 take photos @ Disneyland, rushed 2 eat.... Told DH dat it felt worst den going 2 wk Everyone there was just staring into their phones....

@tiggerpooh Do you think HK or Taiwan is better?
Taiwan has amusement parks as well....tho HK has disneyland but also doesnt come cheap.

I hate anything rushed... :(

@sinnyy

I have been 2 both, n if u asked me, I would prefer Taiwan. It was more relax n enjoyable. While we didnt go 2 any amusement parks, my gal had fun. Seeing rail roads, night markets, Ali Shan (watch sun rise), do d tian deng, etc...

I think she had more fun in Taiwan...

Thanks tiggerpooh for sharing.
Sounds like HK isn't as convenient as I thought travelling with a 1-year-old. I will be bringing a stroller with me, not used to using a carrier. Is the MTR there also not stroller-friendly?
How about Disneyland? I am trying to decide whether to go to Disneyland, unsure if it's worthed going with my baby since she will likely not remember anything from it. Anyone has brought their 1 year old to Disneyland and can share your overall experience?

How about Disneyland? I am trying to decide whether to go to Disneyland, unsure if it's worthed going with my baby since she will likely not remember anything from it. Anyone has brought their 1 year old to Disneyland and can share your overall experience?

Hi, I went to Tokyo Disneysea with my 1yo last week. And you are right your baby will never remember and also not going to enjoy either I guess. We went on 2 rides (Jasmine Flying Carpet & Carousel) but on both rides the baby didnt look exactly happy plus the queue was kind of long. And because it was crowded its hard to find a restaurant to seat my baby in to feed him properly. The mascots walking around doesnt seems to attract him much either. So if given a choice I may skip going there the next time. I think 1yo is too young to enjoying disneyland.

@Elm In HK, not all MTR stations r stroller friendly. I think your gal will not remember anything until she is about 3yo. So when planning 4 a holiday now, mayb think of where u wanna go. D only thing dat your gal will remember will b those photos u will take while on d trip.

Hi, I went to Tokyo Disneysea with my 1yo last week. And you are right your baby will never remember and also not going to enjoy either I guess. We went on 2 rides (Jasmine Flying Carpet & Carousel) but on both rides the baby didnt look exactly happy plus the queue was kind of long. And because it was crowded its hard to find a restaurant to seat my baby in to feed him properly. The mascots walking around doesnt seems to attract him much either. So if given a choice I may skip going there the next time. I think 1yo is too young to enjoying disneyland.
Thanks Mayochuu for sharing. It's a pity your baby didn't enjoy Disneysea as much. Is it tiring bringing a baby around the theme park? I imagine Tokyo Disney should be a lot more comfortable than HK Disneyland.

@tiggerpooh:
I hope the more mainstream MTRs like TST, Mongkok, Big Buddha, etc will be more convenient for strollers.

Overall, what do you all feel about travelling with a 1 year old? Is it tiring? And how do you all prepare baby food? I am thinking to bring a slow cooker with me :cool:

@Elm

If u intend 2 climb up 4 d Big Buddha, den stroller is not convenient.

I m okie traveling wif my gal. When she was younger, we just go places DH & myself wanted 2 go, cos she wldnt remember so no point bringing her 2 theme parks or amusement parks. Food wise, DD was breastfed till she was 2. When she started on solid food, she just eat wat we eat. Of cos our choices were den limited 2 wat she can eat.... I didnt prepare any baby food, lazy on my part i guess.

U can bring slow cooker but u will need 2 bring some rice or something 2 cook... no?

Very tiring! Hahaha, but I would say its a good once in a lifetime parenthood experience. Bring along your slow cooker is a good idea if you know where around your apartment or hotel can get you ingredients to cook your baby porridge.

I didnt because my baby can eat rice and what we eat already so we basically share our food with him. But it takes him longer to eat rice then porridge so it has some inconvenience too.

@Elm Actually, come 2 think of it... HK is a place where food is of abundance. U can literally find them @ almost every corner of d street. Hence, it's your choice if u still decide 2 bring slow cooker along. It's quite unlike if u were 2 bring your LO 2 places like Australia or Europe where Chinese food r hard 2 find. Just my opinion.

@Mayochuu & @tiggerpooh: Thanks a lot for sharing, I am actually looking forward to HK with my little family. Just a bit nervous cause not sure if my girl will be comfortable. By that time, she will be nearly a year old, is it that time can eat most foods already? If outside food, won't it have a lot of seasoning? Sorry, first child so don't know much about these things :confused:

@Elm
No worries, I guess your gal has started eating solid food by now. On top of dat, she shld still b drinking milk on a regular basis?

I guess I m a lazy mom who wasnt really bothered by d seasoning. If I think d food is too salty, I just get my gal 2 drink more water. Or else, I will just buy her bread or buns as her meal. They r still young so d amount of food they take will not b d normal serving dat is being served. Hence, I wasnt overly concerned. But den again... dat's me lar... :p

@tiggerpooh, Yes my girl is on solids now, only 1-2 meals a day so far and still on her regular milk feeds. Currently I am still cooking her meals so no seasonings yet, but never know in a few months time. Maybe by then I will also be feeding her whatever we eat outside :p

How old was your child when you went for holiday?

@Elm: My gal first traveled when she was 7 mths old. We went 2 Australia. She was on solid wif regular milk feeds. We just feed her whatever dat we were having. N 2 mths later we went BKK, also did d same.

Actually come 2 think of it, whenever we travel, we always relied on milk feeds 4 her regular meals. Main reason being no matter how much she eats, she wld always ask 4 milk after her meals. So DH main d decision 2 just eat whatever we wan when we travel n if it doesnt suit our DD, just let her drink milk :p

@tiggerpooh, How did your girl take to the airplane journey to Australia?
Oh at 1 year old they still on regular milk feeds? I thought they would already be on full 3 solid meals and just maybe 2 milk feeds? If still relying on milk then will be better.

@tiggerpooh, How did your girl take to the airplane journey to Australia?
Oh at 1 year old they still on regular milk feeds? I thought they would already be on full 3 solid meals and just maybe 2 milk feeds? If still relying on milk then will be better.

I think it depends alot on individual. What is your feed schedule and contents like before you fly, that would be what you need to prep yourself for bringing the baby out.

My 1yo depends on solid food during our Japan trip because he is already now taking 3 full meals with milk as only supplement. He has 10 tooth good enough to eat what we eat and for seasoning, we would try our best to find something healthier. Else, like if we ramen, we'll just wash it once with drinking water. As compared when we went to taiwan, he was 4mo, that was so much easier cause he was fully exclusively latching.

But you know, you'll only be away for 1 week or so I guess since it's HK you are going. It wont harm if you change a week's diet to rely fully on milk even if you have established a 3 solid feeds schedule right before you fly~ cause I guess that is the safest! Liquid nutrients all in! Haha!

My baby had refused all sorts of liquid for my recent Japan trip and it resulted in a very bad sore throat that caused fever which lasted for 7 days!! So I guess as long as you keep offering them milk, they would be fine!

@Elm

We always choose midnight flights. So we time her afternoon nap and make sure dat she has energy till about 11pm n when we board d flight, she wld b knocked out....

Dont worry too much.... Just enjoy d trip Expect a little hiccups so you wont b disappointed... That's life...

My gal was having fever d day we were 2 depart 4 Paris. We had d intention 2 cancel d trip but our PD suggest dat we r okie 2 travel. So she wrote us a letter (4 all d meds we had 2 bring on board) n declare my gal fit 4 travel.

While I was worried... DH was calm n said since we have meds le we shldnt worry too much. Imagine, me d worried mom taking temp of my gal every half hr.... Didnt sleep well during d entire flight. My gal was running arnd in Versailles d moment we touched down. So while we didnt have a gd start, d trip was really enjoyable.

@tiggerpooh Thanks, I must salute you for your courage to go along with the trip even while your girl was unwell. Must have been a tough decision to make. Glad it turned out well for you and your girl enjoyed the holiday :) I think sometimes we tend to be overprotective, our children are way tougher than we give them credit for hehe

@Elm Indeed, i think sometimes we r just being over protective. I cant help it since mine had 2 major surgeries b4 she turned 2.

DH always said I dont give enough credit 2 my gal. Mayb dat is y I think sometimes over-compensate. DH is more strict wif her even thu DD is v close 2 her.

My gal loves traveling, but we havent plan any trip this year... Tot of going Australia... still considering.

@tiggerpooh Oh sorry to hear about the surgeries :( must have been very worrying. Hope your girl is healthy and well from then on.

It is nice to be able to travel somewhere at least once a year. I haven't travelled since being pregnant, so am looking forward to going abroad again :) with a baby this time hehe.

@Elm Thank u, she has been well n healthy since.

D feeling of traveling wif your LO, it's quite different. There, u will have anticipation, but also concerns.... Just remember 2 have a gd time... Remember dat they r too young 2 remember much, so take loads of photos.... enjoy them as u go!!!

@tiggerpooh Yeah at first I was thinking of going to Disneyland and all those kiddy places for my girl, but after considering your advice that they are too young to remember I decided we should just do what we like instead haha. Better to wait till she is able to enjoy those places then we will go :)

Hi, are you going solely to tokyo? A list of what I do know:

1) Tokyo Dome City (theme park)
2) Yokohama Cosmo Land (theme park)
3) Odaiba Sega Joypolis (arcade)
4) Ikebukuro Sunshine City Namja Town (a small indoor theme park thou there is no translation)
5) Ikebukuro Sunshine City Pokemon Centre (one of the biggest)
6) Ueno Zoo
7) Lego Discovery Centre
8) Robot Park Roppongi Hills (it's a playground)

If you are travelling out of tokyo

1) Universal Studio Japan, Osaka (the kids area will be heaven to them!)
2) Fuji Safari Park, Shizuoka (where you can feed lions)
3) Nara Park (roaming deers you can feed)

That's pretty much all I can think of from my past trips there. Anyway, I will be bringing my (by then) 1yo baby to Tokyo soon in 24 days! It's my first time heading there as a family of 3! Am very excited and at the same time worried. I am hoping that the locals don't ostracise us cause we will be pushing a stroller. Heard that Japan isn't exactly baby-friendly despite being a nice country.

Thank you for your great advice, will be heading to Tokyo and Osaka. How was your recent trip? any itinerary to share?

Has anyone been to Europe with a toddler and a 1 yr old so far? Where is good to go that is child friendly?

I want to visit Italy but their restaurants open late for dinner at 730pm or 8pm and that's my kids' bedtime.

@MistyCloud

I wouldnt consider Europe as child friendly, thu i have brought my gal 2 Paris when she was 1. We didnt travel Europe but just stayed in Paris 4 10 days. 4 dinners, my gal will just join us when we eat, n i always have snacks so dat she can have something if she is hungry. She has since grown 2 love croissants. My gal didnt have issue wif her bedtime, as her bedtime is also @ 8pm. Sometimes when she is really tired, i will just use d baby carrier... I still remember her sleeping soundly on d bench while we were having our dinner @ Hard Rock @ 9pm.

Taiwan... I think night markets are not really suitable for kids. My feel is dat d markets r crowded n if u have a toddler... u wld worry wanna hold on tight 2 him/her.

While we didnt go 2 any of d kids places, my gal did enjoy herself... Esp on d Maokong Gondola and Alishan.

I just came back fr a trip.... Down-under... my gal had so much fun dat she asked me 2 bring her back "next week" Told her mommy has 2 wk 2 have enough $ 2 bring her back again... :D:rolleyes:

She learned basic skiing... had so much fun

Taiwan... I think night markets are not really suitable for kids. My feel is dat d markets r crowded n if u have a toddler... u wld worry wanna hold on tight 2 him/her.

While we didnt go 2 any of d kids places, my gal did enjoy herself... Esp on d Maokong Gondola and Alishan.

I just came back fr a trip.... Down-under... my gal had so much fun dat she asked me 2 bring her back "next week" Told her mommy has 2 wk 2 have enough $ 2 bring her back again... :D:rolleyes:

She learned basic skiing... had so much fun
Hihi.. Was this free and easy or package? Any itinerary to share?

@sinnyy We went Sydney and Melbourne... Went skiing in Melbourne (Mt Buller) It was fun... my gal had a great time too. I think d only complain I have is we shld have plan 4 a longer trip. 10 days were barely enough. :p

@stinzy For both Taiwan and Australia, they were free and easy trips. Except dat 4 Taiwan, as we went wif extended families, we could cater a mini bus. But d itinerary was wat we want 2 do... there was also a tour guide who was on board 2 give us background history on some of d places we visited He is quite gd... Let me know which itinerary u wld like, Taiwan or Australia?

@sinnyy We went Sydney and Melbourne... Went skiing in Melbourne (Mt Buller) It was fun... my gal had a great time too. I think d only complain I have is we shld have plan 4 a longer trip. 10 days were barely enough.

@stinzy For both Taiwan and Australia, they were free and easy trips. Except dat 4 Taiwan, as we went wif extended families, we could cater a mini bus. But d itinerary was wat we want 2 do... there was also a tour guide who was on board 2 give us background history on some of d places we visited He is quite gd... Let me know which itinerary u wld like, Taiwan or Australia?
I'm keen in the Aussie one :) thanks very much in sharing hehe

@stinzy

I would consider my itinerary quite packed given dat i have a toddler wif me. I would have loved 2 spend more time leisurely but since i have my extended family wif me, DH felt we shld let them c more

Sydney
Day 1:
Arrived @ Sydney Airport. Took d train 2 d city n deposit our luggage @ our hotel.
Head out 2 Circular Quay 2 do whale watching. (about 3 hrs and guaranteed 2 c whales, ie if not able 2 c any, can always go back d next day)
Spent d rest of d day around d area.
Day 2:
Had breakfast near Rocks Market, and spent more den half a day walking around d market.
Went 2 Sydney Fish Market meal (too late 2 consider it lunch and too early 4 dinner)
Day 3
Checked out early 2 take domestic flight 2 Melbourne.
After half a day of air cum road trip, we finally arrived @ Mt Buller.
Checked in to our house n head out 2 try our ski suits 2 get ready 4 next day classes
Day 4
Classes 4 everyone including my toddler
She had d most fun, her class last 4 half a day includes tea break & lunch At d end of d lesson, d trainer will give u a brief update on child’s progress. There is a “report card”
Day 5
More snow play n getting toddler ready 2 head down 2 city.
Day 6
Arranged 2 go on a full day Great Ocean Road trip with a agency who is quite personalized. Small group (only can take 8 where we took 6) that will bring us 2 some parks dat d big agencies may not b able 2 take.
Day 7
Same agency but to Philip Island 4 d penguins. On d way, we stopped @ a park reserve where we get 2 c all Emus, Kangaroos, Koala, parrots n more
We are able 2 feed d animals, n they were really up close n personal, we can even c d joey looking out their mummy’s “pocket”.
Day 8 - 10
Just spent time catching up wif friends and relatives in Melbourne n of cos shopping.

Other things that u could do if u have more days:
Sydney: Take d Matilda Cruises for d harbor exporer... We did dat in our previous trip when our gal was less den a yr old. It was great. Or if u r game enough, climb d Sydney Harbour Bridge (at a cost thu n there is a age limit)
Melbourne: Luna Park, Sovereign Hill, Puffing Billing (Steam Train) n many more. My previous trip i went 2 Tulips Farm since my trip was around Oct / Nov

Back