Maid Agency or Transfer Maid & Nationality of Maid

Twinz89

Dear Mummies,

I am in dilemma and would appreciate any mummies are able to provide some advice and past experience to me as this will be my first time in hiring a maid therefore i am trying to get all the necessary information.

Firstly, should i approach a maid agency or go for those transfer maid which can be found through facebook whereby we do not need to pay for the agency fees and to settle all the applications by myself.

Secondly, any recommendation on a good maid agency with good packages that they are currently offering?

Lastly, which nationality of the maid should i choose to assist my mum in taking care of my newborn and 3 years old daughter as i heard and saw a lot of posts stating there is language problem, child abuse issue and attitude problem for certain nationality maid.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Mummies,

I am in dilemma and would appreciate any mummies are able to provide some advice and past experience to me as this will be my first time in hiring a maid therefore i am trying to get all the necessary information.

Firstly, should i approach a maid agency or go for those transfer maid which can be found through facebook whereby we do not need to pay for the agency fees and to settle all the applications by myself.

Secondly, any recommendation on a good maid agency with good packages that they are currently offering?

Lastly, which nationality of the maid should i choose to assist my mum in taking care of my newborn and 3 years old daughter as i heard and saw a lot of posts stating there is language problem, child abuse issue and attitude problem for certain nationality maid.

Thanks in advance!
Ya nowadays maids don't like to work in family with ah gong ah ma...
Morning go ah ma house don't work just sit around cos is not employer address...Ask for.xtra money if go another person house...etc..argue with ah ma..ignpre what u day...reallu headache..
My advise if can put cc for older ones..
So think twice before getting a maid.

Ya nowadays maids don't like to work in family with ah gong ah ma...
Morning go ah ma house don't work just sit around cos is not employer address...Ask for.xtra money if go another person house...etc..argue with ah ma..ignpre what u day...reallu headache..
My advise if can put cc for older ones..
So think twice before getting a maid.

Hello Radish,

May i know the nationality of your maid? Yes i heard that maid will give a lot of problem to the employer but my daughter rejected childcare and i wasted $500 just to let her attend 2 days of child care therefore i don't think that i will try that again. After lots of consideration, maid will be the only choice for now at least she can help in house chores as well. Really headache.

For helpers with experience whether in Singapore or abroad, some of the key questions I'd usually ask them:
Describe their experience with children care
Reasons for leaving previous employers
Why they want to come to or remain in Singapore to work

Some can be screened immediately from the bios agencies provide. Those that you shortlist, I'd recommend you ask during the interview so you can assess their on-the-spot responses and language ability.

My friends and I tend to prefer fresh-to-Singapore candidates but the lead time needed for the administration/travel procedures is at least 1 month

Having to manage my first newborn and as a first-timer hiring an FDW, I chose the agency route and just signed to hire a Filipino candidate earlier this week. I didn't want the hassle of all the research, paperwork and handling involved - these include work permit, insurances, GIRO for FDW levy, medical screening. Furthermore, the agency is expected to help assist if any problem crops up during the employment period.

Heng-suay whether the agency and FDW chosen prove to be good after hire.

Would suggest you email a number of agencies with your requirements and ask them for suitable bios. From their responses, you'd be able to identify which agent you're more comfortable to work with. They should also be able to readily present an itemised breakdown of the costs if you wish to hire an FDW via them.

For helpers with experience whether in Singapore or abroad, some of the key questions I'd usually ask them:
Describe their experience with children care
Reasons for leaving previous employers
Why they want to come to or remain in Singapore to work

Some can be screened immediately from the bios agencies provide. Those that you shortlist, I'd recommend you ask during the interview so you can assess their on-the-spot responses and language ability.

My friends and I tend to prefer fresh-to-Singapore candidates but the lead time needed for the administration/travel procedures is at least 1 month

Having to manage my first newborn and as a first-timer hiring an FDW, I chose the agency route and just signed to hire a Filipino candidate earlier this week. I didn't want the hassle of all the research, paperwork and handling involved - these include work permit, insurances, GIRO for FDW levy, medical screening. Furthermore, the agency is expected to help assist if any problem crops up during the employment period.

Heng-suay whether the agency and FDW chosen prove to be good after hire.

Would suggest you email a number of agencies with your requirements and ask them for suitable bios. From their responses, you'd be able to identify which agent you're more comfortable to work with. They should also be able to readily present an itemised breakdown of the costs if you wish to hire an FDW via them.

Hi Wlj,

Thank you so much for your kind advise and recommendation.

Anyway how is your Filipino maid so far?

:)

She hasn't commenced work with me yet as agency is handling the various administrative requirements with their embassy, MOM etc and she's undergoing training at the Manila agency and will have to pass the medical screenings in the Philippines and later when she arrives in Singapore. I'm expecting to pick her up from the agency around mid-August 2017.

My agency is at Kovan.
I'm getting another mymumar maid from them as my current 1 wants to go home,hai home sick la...

:)

She hasn't commenced work with me yet as agency is handling the various administrative requirements with their embassy, MOM etc and she's undergoing training at the Manila agency and will have to pass the medical screenings in the Philippines and later when she arrives in Singapore. I'm expecting to pick her up from the agency around mid-August 2017.

When is your edd? Your Philippine maid will look after your newborn without assistance or?

I delivered end May. My mom moved in to help. (She returns to my dad's home during the weekends as my husband would be at home to help me.) A confinement nanny helped out for 28 days. Now it's just my mom and me pending our helper's arrival. When I return to work, baby care on workdays would lie primarily with my mom, and helper to assist. In time to come, if/when we trust our helper, my mom may then move back to my dad's home, and helper will take on primary responsibility.

Hihi
Waiting for the breakdown amount I need to pay...loh..sigh..PAP...
Will let u know when I got the figure..

I delivered end May. My mom moved in to help. (She returns to my dad's home during the weekends as my husband would be at home to help me.) A confinement nanny helped out for 28 days. Now it's just my mom and me pending our helper's arrival. When I return to work, baby care on workdays would lie primarily with my mom, and helper to assist. In time to come, if/when we trust our helper, my mom may then move back to my dad's home, and helper will take on primary responsibility.

I am going to be in the same situation like yours. i am going to have confinement nanny for 28 days therefore i am only requesting my maid to come in after my confinement nanny left. So my husband and i will train the maid on how to assist my mum to take care both of my children at my mum's place whereby we will send them to my mum's place in the morning after i started work and fetch them back to my place at night. As for trusting part, i am still in doubt cuz that is what my husband is planning to just leave the kids to my maid once we trust her. But for me i am still worry so will be expecting someone to look over such as my mum. Anyway this is your first child?

Yes, Twinz89, our first child. We intend to install CCTV system in our home before helper moves in - it's scary to see videos / hear stories of helpers abusing children left in their care!

CCTV is very important... even if you place a dummy dome also good. The helper 'behaves' better if they know they could be 'caught' :D

Hello Wlj & ssng84,

Ya this scared me too. I have instructed my mum to be extremely careful, always look at what the maid is doing especially to the children. But i will prefer my mum to handle the kids and get helper to do the rest of the work. Talking about CCTV, any good recommendation?

Hello Wlj & ssng84,

Ya this scared me too. I have instructed my mum to be extremely careful, always look at what the maid is doing especially to the children. But i will prefer my mum to handle the kids and get helper to do the rest of the work. Talking about CCTV, any good recommendation?
Sim Lim has a shop with different camera grades.. can check it out to find out more. The clarity of the video varies quite a lot with the price. They usually include installation which makes it fuss free. :)

Sim Lim has a shop with different camera grades.. can check it out to find out more. The clarity of the video varies quite a lot with the price. They usually include installation which makes it fuss free. :)

Thanks. I will head down to Sim Lim and have a look. :)

Hi all. I am in a dilemma too. My girl is going to be 5 months. After confinement my aunt has been taking care of her. Confinement also got another story :( So it's like one to one care at home. But everytime I come home from work, I will try to take care of her from 730pm or 8pm and throughout the night. Morning if she wakes up early say 630am my aunt will wake up to care for her. But recently, I am not sure if she is too tired or just lazy. She help me from Sunday afternoon to Thursday night. Doesn't need to cook, mop or wash toilet. Other than taking care of baby all others my hubby and myself will do. I'm intending to hire a maid to look after baby cook mop and wash toilet. But definitely not everything at once. But I'm afraid if she will abuse my darling girl. Any good advice? What does transfer of maid consist??

Hi all. I am in a dilemma too. My girl is going to be 5 months. After confinement my aunt has been taking care of her. Confinement also got another story :( So it's like one to one care at home. But everytime I come home from work, I will try to take care of her from 730pm or 8pm and throughout the night. Morning if she wakes up early say 630am my aunt will wake up to care for her. But recently, I am not sure if she is too tired or just lazy. She help me from Sunday afternoon to Thursday night. Doesn't need to cook, mop or wash toilet. Other than taking care of baby all others my hubby and myself will do. I'm intending to hire a maid to look after baby cook mop and wash toilet. But definitely not everything at once. But I'm afraid if she will abuse my darling girl. Any good advice? What does transfer of maid consist??
Have many to learn on how to handle a maid, but avoiding transfer maid can reduce chance of getting wrong maid.

Dear Mummies,

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend you to call up a few more reputable maid agencies who are more reputable (people given ratings on FB, google) and compare their packages.. Best way is to ask compare the packages given by the agencies themselves (in the internet there are many people looking to market their agency and giving "free" recommendations..)

There are some maid agencies doing transfer maids, better to let them screen through the transfer maids and save you from trouble. The MOM guidelines in Singapore could be quite lengthy and you may miss a few regulations without knowing.

Yes. you can try calling a few agencies before deciding on the agency you are most comfortable with. I tried many agencies before deciding on my current agency wish have been good so far. I gotten my helper from Best Helper, they have been very reliable and helpful in assisting me in choosing my helper. You can call my coordinator, Mr Phng (8660 5975). Good Luck!

Back