Renting a flat to move out due to problems with in laws

Edlyn1290

Hi all, was wondering if any of you had been in a similar situation as I have now and could offer some advice.

My husband and I have been living with my in laws for 2 years. Before we bought this house, he was the co-owner of his parents' house (due to them not having enough cpf to pay the housing loan) which they had to sell in order for him to be able to buy a house with me. As his parents cannot afford a house, they moved in to live with us. My in laws and I have very different living habits. For e.g., they are hoarders and do not like throwing away things which they feel could still be useful. But this also means they have poor hygiene habits. My MIL especially, keeps many food items and even leftovers in the fridge till they get moudly. My husband had talked to them before but it's very difficult for them to change their thinking and habits. Many things I have tried to tolerate and accommodate until the birth of my baby, which made things worse. With my MIL always being nosey about what I do and where i go with baby, snatching to carry him while im carrying, commenting on what I do with him, and coming inbetween when i want to spend time alone bonding with my baby after work or weekends in my living room, I feel like I have lost all my privacy and it no longer feels like my home. She even gets jealous when my mother visits and carries my baby, telling him he has to differentiate who is nainai and who is popo. I have cried many times over this and my husband even talked to her to give us more space but she always gets carried away and does it all over again. I only like staying in my room with baby these days and do not sit in my living room much because i cannot stand her observing what we do all the time. I feel that this situation would only get worse if we continue living together.

We do not want to tell them to move out. Instead, my husband and i are considering to move out by renting a hdb flat outside. The issue is, we have not fulfilled the MOP, having lived in thise house for only 2 years. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation and managed to appeal successfully to be allowed to rent a place outside?

Hi. I am in a similar situation as you and I am also looking at moving out. My bto is still building.. so currently I'm staying at my in-laws place. I was thinking of renting from HDB.. it'll be abt $700 a month but there's no furnitures furnished and I dun wanna buy and shift it over to my new hse once it's ready.. headache. I'm considering renting outside.. it'll be abt cheapest $850 a month for the location Im beo-ing.

We saw a whole unit that we liked but the owner asked us to appeal to HDB and unfortunately our appeal got rejected :( looks like there's no way out for me

im in the exact same situation as you :( my MIL wants to butt in at every single opportunity. even when times like evenings or weekends when i have all my time with baby, my in laws also want to snatch baby's attention. Imagine this, im sitting on the playmat playing with my boy, my FIL/SIL/MIL will just come over, stick their face right in front of my boy and start 'playing' with me, disregarding the fact that im there playing with him. lol.

i really cannot tahan already but my bto is only ready in 1yr+++ time. now i just try to channel all my energy on my boy because i know they will nvr change..

im in the exact same situation as you :( my MIL wants to butt in at every single opportunity. even when times like evenings or weekends when i have all my time with baby, my in laws also want to snatch baby's attention. Imagine this, im sitting on the playmat playing with my boy, my FIL/SIL/MIL will just come over, stick their face right in front of my boy and start 'playing' with me, disregarding the fact that im there playing with him. lol.

i really cannot tahan already but my bto is only ready in 1yr+++ time. now i just try to channel all my energy on my boy because i know they will nvr change..

I can totally understand how you feel! :( during evenings and weekends, I have been cooping myself up in my room with baby to have more private time. Even though Im in my house, it doesnt feel like my house at all... sigh

Back