MacMac_has_Hope

hi. I'm 32 been TTC for 2 years.
Scanned with Hydrosalpixn near 2 years ago. And can't find much people who has the same condition as me.
My first doctor recommended Neo-salpingostomy (cutting a whole in Fallopian tubes and drain out the fluid), but I wasn't ready thus been doing some alternative healing ever since.

If you are in the same boat or was in this before please give me some advise. Thank you!

Hi, I had a failed ivf cycle last year with bilateral hydrosalpinges. Then I had a bilateral salpingectomy. I am currently in the middle of another ivf cycle.

Hi, I had a failed ivf cycle last year with bilateral hydrosalpinges. Then I had a bilateral salpingectomy. I am currently in the middle of another ivf cycle.

I'm sorry to hear about your past ivf. didnt u go through any neosalpingostomy (laparoscopy) prior your ivf? As what I've researched Doctor will normally advise lap before ivf due to hydrosalpinx might lower the chance right?

Since your tubes are out of the way, that shall increase the success rate big time. Good luck with your this IVF!!

I am thinking to go for another opinion in this May. But I have tried TMC and KKH. Don't know who else has good Doctors in this particular hydrosalpixn case. Also: do u have HSG to confirm hydrosalpinx back then or just by ultrasound?

I had a HSG to confirm the hydros. The reason I didn't have the tubes removed at first is because doctors refused to perform surgery on me. I had already had six bowel operations due to colon cancer and colon resection that was complicated by a torrential haemorrhage and poor surgical technique. Basically had the csncer removed the the operation was botched and I had to have lots of other surgery to correct the damage in the first one. So I would have had a lot of adhesions and I couldn't find a OBGYN who was willing to attempt to remove my tubes. Our only hope at that stage was to try ivf with the tubes even though the success rates are lower.

But then my old bowel surgeon (the one who fixed everything, not the one who damaged everything) said he would attempt to and he did it successfully laprascopically last December. So now I am tubeless, I am attempting again.

I had not heard of a neosalpingostomy. Do you plan to fall pregnant naturally after this procedure? Which doctor is going to do it for you?

I don't know of doctors in Singapore. I was seeing Dr Jerry Chan at KKH for my fertility treatment. I liked him but he didn't want to do the surgery on me. If you haven't had past surgery though, I'm sure he will be happy to. My case is a bit different. I am Australian and I had my tubes removed in Brisbane.

I had a HSG to confirm the hydros. The reason I didn't have the tubes removed at first is because doctors refused to perform surgery on me. I had already had six bowel operations due to colon cancer and colon resection that was complicated by a torrential haemorrhage and poor surgical technique. Basically had the csncer removed the the operation was botched and I had to have lots of other surgery to correct the damage in the first one. So I would have had a lot of adhesions and I couldn't find a OBGYN who was willing to attempt to remove my tubes. Our only hope at that stage was to try ivf with the tubes even though the success rates are lower.

But then my old bowel surgeon (the one who fixed everything, not the one who damaged everything) said he would attempt to and he did it successfully laprascopically last December. So now I am tubeless, I am attempting again.

I had not heard of a neosalpingostomy. Do you plan to fall pregnant naturally after this procedure? Which doctor is going to do it for you?

Hi Curios combat,
your case seems much complicated. But i've heard so many success stories who removed both their tubes and got pregnant through IVF. so hope you'll get yours soon.

I've seen Dr Loh SF from Thompson Medical, KKH and some TCM At the moment.
I chicken out from KKH after they want to do a laparoscopy on me to remove the fluid. I was scared and not sure because I'm not sure how high the success rate is and many people said the fluids might come back again.
Hydrosalpinx seems like the worse could happen to anyone who are trying to get pregnant:<

I'm looking for any good gynae who might be confident and experience enough to treat this hydrosalpinx. I'm looking at Gleneagles but if things don't work out, I might go back to KKH for Dr Jerry Chan....

Hi. I read one study where if the hydros couldn't be seen on a regular vaginal ultrasound then it won't affect your chances in ivf. But if they are large enough to be seen on a vaginal ultrasound, then this is the group who have lower success rates. So the larger the hydros, the worse off you'll be. I would have the doctor check and if they are visible in an ultrasound, just get them removed. It's a very fast, easy op and only overnight. Some might even go home the same day. Good luck!

Hi Curios combat!

Good luck to your IVF this round!! Baby dust!**
I read a lot on this topic of course the easiest way out is just cut the tubes and go IVF straight.
However I do not wish to remove my tubes yet because deep down inside, I still hope that I could fall pregnant naturally without IVF.. So i've been doing lots of alternative treatment trying to treat them.

I am taking TCM herbs, regular massage, moxibustion etc.
Well, I know I'm counting on my ticking age as well..
Which hospital are you doing your IVF with?

Good luck! I also held onto that hope for years. Unfortunately mine were bad and it just wasn't enough. But it does happen!

I just got my result and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. I have a frozen embryo that I'll try in a couple of months.

Thanks, curious wombat.
I admire people like you who took the courage to try for IVF despite the emotional and physical stress. Don't give up. My gf who've been struggling for so long finally got pregnant through IVF as well.
We just gotta try our best~ hopefully that BFP day is just around the corner!

Take care Curious wombat. Big hugs to you.

hi. I'm 32 been TTC for 2 years.
Scanned with Hydrosalpixn near 2 years ago. And can't find much people who has the same condition as me.
My first doctor recommended Neo-salpingostomy (cutting a whole in Fallopian tubes and drain out the fluid), but I wasn't ready thus been doing some alternative healing ever since.

If you are in the same boat or was in this before please give me some advise. Thank you!
Hi Babe.. I had twice ops with endo n hydrosalpixn.. 2nd gynae released the fluid n was told to go for IVF.. dun give up ladies.. yet to start the process but I'm positive with it..

JIA YOU!

Hi ash, thanks for your encouragement. so your fluid was drained out all good now? aren't you trying naturally first before IVF? I'm still thinking which doc to go for that procedure. thinking to go Gleneagles for the next opinion. do you have any recommendation?

Hi ash, thanks for your encouragement. so your fluid was drained out all good now? aren't you trying naturally first before IVF? I'm still thinking which doc to go for that procedure. thinking to go Gleneagles for the next opinion. do you have any recommendation?
I stop mense for 3 month.. instructed by my gynae to prevent the reoccurring of endo.. IVF is the best choice to get preggy accordingly to my gynae cuz due to my endo n plus hyrodsalpinx.. we just followed my current gynae instruction as we have been looking for answers or rather ways to get preggy... really v tiring.. frds and colls recommend go where to pray or see tcm to tiao = all tried but no news end up 2nd ops... cuz of dang gui..

BTW my Gleneagles doc is Dr Christopher Chong ..currently with Dr Fong Yong

Good luck! I also held onto that hope for years. Unfortunately mine were bad and it just wasn't enough. But it does happen!

I just got my result and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. I have a frozen embryo that I'll try in a couple of months.
Hi Curious Wombat,
Im so glad that i chances upon this thread... me too was diagnosed with hydrosalpinges and was instructed by Dr to remove both aides of my tubes... as i had a failed ivf before, by removing the tubes, dr said the chances of a success ivf is higher... may i know why didnt the dr tied the tubes instead? I was abit taken back when the dr told me about my issue, didnt really know more about hydrosalpinges till i came back to google... im scared to go for the laparoscopy salpingectomy... feel v upset and is wondering how did i get hydrosalpinges in the first place

Hi havinghope
Yeah your chances should definitley be better. Are you asking why the doctor didn't tie my tubes rather than remove them completely? I'm not really sure, I've never heard of tubes being tied for hydros. Only for sterilisation. Probably because the hydros would then remain in you?

I think the most common cause of hydros is untreated infection, chlamydia things like that. Also, appendix surgery or a burst appendix will do it. And endometriosis. I got my from 6 bowel ops, one that was very messy and caused alot of scar tissue. It would be very upsetting to not know the cause.

Don't be afraid of the surgery. Easy for me to say. But really, it's very minor surgery. Even for me, I had so much scar tissue that the surgeon had to get through before he even found my tubes and it only took a few hours. I was standing up the same day and watched Netflix for my stay in hospital! Very easy op. For a lot of people, they can go home on the same day or the next morning. If you've never had surgery and want a step by step of how the process is, let me know. Anyway, you'll be fine.

Hi havinghope
Yeah your chances should definitley be better. Are you asking why the doctor didn't tie my tubes rather than remove them completely? I'm not really sure, I've never heard of tubes being tied for hydros. Only for sterilisation. Probably because the hydros would then remain in you?

I think the most common cause of hydros is untreated infection, chlamydia things like that. Also, appendix surgery or a burst appendix will do it. And endometriosis. I got my from 6 bowel ops, one that was very messy and caused alot of scar tissue. It would be very upsetting to not know the cause.

Don't be afraid of the surgery. Easy for me to say. But really, it's very minor surgery. Even for me, I had so much scar tissue that the surgeon had to get through before he even found my tubes and it only took a few hours. I was standing up the same day and watched Netflix for my stay in hospital! Very easy op. For a lot of people, they can go home on the same day or the next morning. If you've never had surgery and want a step by step of how the process is, let me know. Anyway, you'll be fine.
Hi Curious Wombat, i had a laparoscopy back in 2010 but i think the issue wasnt hydrosalpinges back then... only when i failed my first fresh and changing dr to prepare for the second fresh, then the dr told me i would have to remove both tubes..
I didnt have any surgery before except for that laparoscopy and giving birth to my girl naturally, have only 1 partner (my hubby), so i really dont know how i got this...
I guess i would have to remove both if i want a kid thru ivf.. otherwise the chances of success is low too..

What was the laparoscopy for? Sigh, yeah that's very frustrating not knowing why. Did you get nay infection after that laparoscopy? It could have caused scar tissue.

What was the laparoscopy for? Sigh, yeah that's very frustrating not knowing why. Did you get nay infection after that laparoscopy? It could have caused scar tissue.
Dr said to check on blocked tubes and cyst back then... but in the end no cyst but maybe hydrosalpinges on the left tube... i didnt have any other infection... anyway i think i would proceed to remove my tubes hoping for a baby after that thru ivf... are you going to start ivf anytime soon?

Dr said to check on blocked tubes and cyst back then... but in the end no cyst but maybe hydrosalpinges on the left tube... i didnt have any other infection... anyway i think i would proceed to remove my tubes hoping for a baby after that thru ivf... are you going to start ivf anytime soon?
Yeah I start my third round soon. Going thru CARE at Novena. More recently I've been told that the botched surgery damaged my ovaries and thus damaged my eggs which is affecting embryo quality. My eggs are behaving more like 49 year old eggs rather than 35. So it might be a long and arduous journey for me. Fingers crossed we get lucky this round.

Hi @Curious Wombat,

Good luck with your IVF. All the best!

Hi @HavingHope ,

I am scheduled for a Laparoscopy next month to fix the tubes. My dr said my right tube looks quite large, probably has to be removed, left tube look smaller and higher chance to be able to fix it and count on it to get me pregnant after that. I am also not sure, of course I hope both tubes can be fixed and remain.

Is your hydrosalpixn very large that can be seen on ultrasound?

Hi @Curious Wombat,

Good luck with your IVF. All the best!

Hi @HavingHope ,

I am scheduled for a Laparoscopy next month to fix the tubes. My dr said my right tube looks quite large, probably has to be removed, left tube look smaller and higher chance to be able to fix it and count on it to get me pregnant after that. I am also not sure, of course I hope both tubes can be fixed and remain.

Is your hydrosalpixn very large that can be seen on ultrasound?
Hi MacMac,
The left tube is swollen when i did the SIS scan... that should be due to hydrosalpinges... so thats why dr asked me to remove my tubes.. i googled and i read that usually when 1 side is affected, the opp side wun be spared too... since mine could be seen via the ultrasound.. it should be q serious..

Btw i want to ask a stupid question which i forgot to ask the dr, i will still be having my menses after removing the tubes right?

@HavingHope ,

mine is scheduled on the 14th of June.
I'll ask the doctor to fix it as much as he can before attempting to remove it.
As once the tubes are gone, there is not way to conceive naturally again, ever!
I really don't like that.

@HavingHope ,

mine is scheduled on the 14th of June.
I'll ask the doctor to fix it as much as he can before attempting to remove it.
As once the tubes are gone, there is not way to conceive naturally again, ever!
I really don't like that.
Thats what i feel too... its irreversible! I was too taken aback when dr broke the news to me, like why didnt i ask him why he could not just remove my left tube and try to fix my right side... i rmb he said both sides are infected with hydrosalpinges, just that the left are more serious...
But i feel if my right tube is ok, i should have gotten pregnant 12 years ago after giving birth to my girl...
This is really v upset that we have to remove our tubes in order to have bb

hi ladies, I was diagnosed with a hydrosalpinx in my left tube last September and despite doctor's advice to have it removed, I chose to go ahead with ivf in April hoping that a miracle will befall on me. however, my first cycle had failed and I'm waiting to see doctor for review this week. will probably opt for surgery to remove the tube since I read that hydrosalpinxusually means the tube is permanently damaged...

all the best to all ladies battling this condition!

hi ladies, I was diagnosed with a hydrosalpinx in my left tube last September and despite doctor's advice to have it removed, I chose to go ahead with ivf in April hoping that a miracle will befall on me. however, my first cycle had failed and I'm waiting to see doctor for review this week. will probably opt for surgery to remove the tube since I read that hydrosalpinxusually means the tube is permanently damaged...

all the best to all ladies battling this condition!
Hi hopeful23,
My first dr didnt advice me to remove and just asked me to proceed with first ivf..i dont even know of my condition, only said my tubes are damaged.. so i did a frozen cycle in apr though due to ohss and it failed..

now i have changed my dr, and the current dr wants me to remove both my tubes.. are you going to remove both sides? Mine is also hydrosalpinges on the left tube which is swollen and can be seen via ultrascan.. i think we are having the same issue... im thinking to ask the dr to remove my left tube and see if he is able to fix my right tube...

Hi hopeful23, is your right tube patent? Otherwise why are you having ivf? Is it also blocked but not with hydros?

hi curious wombat, my right tube is patent but according to doctors, the hydro in the left will severely impact the chances of conceiving naturally hence I was directly referred to do ivf...

Hi hopeful23,
My first dr didnt advice me to remove and just asked me to proceed with first ivf..i dont even know of my condition, only said my tubes are damaged.. so i did a frozen cycle in apr though due to ohss and it failed..

now i have changed my dr, and the current dr wants me to remove both my tubes.. are you going to remove both sides? Mine is also hydrosalpinges on the left tube which is swollen and can be seen via ultrascan.. i think we are having the same issue... im thinking to ask the dr to remove my left tube and see if he is able to fix my right tube...

hi havinghope,

may I ask who is your current doctor? I actually changed from Dr tan hh to Dr sadhana... reason was because when dr tan hh suggested to remove the tube, it wasn't what we were really keen on. so we decided to see dr sadhana to seek second opinion. will be having my review with her on Friday and we will decide then. most likely I'll opt to remove since first fresh did in fact fail and most likely due to the hydro... :(

hi havinghope,

may I ask who is your current doctor? I actually changed from Dr tan hh to Dr sadhana... reason was because when dr tan hh suggested to remove the tube, it wasn't what we were really keen on. so we decided to see dr sadhana to seek second opinion. will be having my review with her on Friday and we will decide then. most likely I'll opt to remove since first fresh did in fact fail and most likely due to the hydro... :(
Hi Hopeful23,
My first dr was actually Dr Sadhana, she didnt mention about me having hydrosalpinges, she only told me my tubes were damaged.. probably she wants me to try a first round of ivf before deciding to remove both my tubes.. i failed my first fet and fresh was not carried out due to ohss..
I feel kkh too crowded and the place seem to be like factory... i mean kkh is not bad, just too overcrowded whenever we go for scanning or consultation and the ivf queue is really long! Dr has too many patients on hand and too busy!
Thus i changed to NUH and currently under Dr Chew, he is the one who explained more on hydrosalpinges to me.. and advised me to remove both sides of my tubes! Me too, was taken aback, i thought of making the right tube patent and remove the left tube as left is swollen only, but Dr Chew said that would also affect the chance of ivf if i dont remove the right tube.. since it is of no use to me anyway, i would remove both tubes. My surgery will be on 7 June...
U are seeing Dr Sadhana just to get a second opinion whether to remove the tubes right? Frankly speaking, i feel that you should as hydrosalpinges will reduce the success of ivf by 50%... afterall, its a big decision, discuss with your hubby... :)

I tried for years to fall pregnant but that is what I figured in the end too... My tubes were no use to me why may as well remove them. I also left KKH because I felt it was like a factory. This time I'm going through CARE ivf at Novena.

Hi Hopeful23,
My first dr was actually Dr Sadhana, she didnt mention about me having hydrosalpinges, she only told me my tubes were damaged.. probably she wants me to try a first round of ivf before deciding to remove both my tubes.. i failed my first fet and fresh was not carried out due to ohss..
I feel kkh too crowded and the place seem to be like factory... i mean kkh is not bad, just too overcrowded whenever we go for scanning or consultation and the ivf queue is really long! Dr has too many patients on hand and too busy!
Thus i changed to NUH and currently under Dr Chew, he is the one who explained more on hydrosalpinges to me.. and advised me to remove both sides of my tubes! Me too, was taken aback, i thought of making the right tube patent and remove the left tube as left is swollen only, but Dr Chew said that would also affect the chance of ivf if i dont remove the right tube.. since it is of no use to me anyway, i would remove both tubes. My surgery will be on 7 June...
U are seeing Dr Sadhana just to get a second opinion whether to remove the tubes right? Frankly speaking, i feel that you should as hydrosalpinges will reduce the success of ivf by 50%... afterall, its a big decision, discuss with your hubby... :)

I just returned from KL where I sought advice from another fertility doctor who helped a relative with issues to conceive and BFP twice on both cycles! the doctor explained in details to me about the hydrosalpinx and possibility of a misdiagnosis vs hydro in resting stage without me asking! I was impressed and his advice managed to convince my hb and I to remove the tube.

yeah I do feel kkh is overcrowded and doctors are toooo busy. im seeing dr sadhana not to seek opinion about my hydro anymore about more like a routine follow up because I failed my first fresh so this will be my first review with her after the failed cycle...

Hi Hopeful23,

do you mean your right tube is closed but not swollen? my right tube is patent but doctor did inform me that patent does not mean it is functional...

Do you think you will see the doctor in KL again? Can I ask the clinic? I thought of going to KL fertility Centre because they are a subsidiary of Monash ivf and I had a round with Monash in Australia just recently. I really liked them. But I wasn't keen on the travel so decided to stay in Singapore.

do you mean your right tube is closed but not swollen? my right tube is patent but doctor did inform me that patent does not mean it is functional...
Dr said my right tube is not swollen but it is also infected with hydro... but not as serious as my left tube.
By making the right tube patent will also affect our chances of success for ivf.. as it is just like what u said, he mentioned that the tube will be of sub quality and might not function, so his advice is just to remove both sides... which my hubby agreed too...
My hubby felt that the infected tubes might give us problem in the long run!

hi ladies, advice needed!!

just had my review after my first failed fresh in may... dr suggested that I clip my left hydrosalpinx instead of removing it. I'm so confused now as I was determined to have it removed but I'm a little unsure of why doctor suggested otherwise. :(

anyone has similar experience? did you remove or clip your tube in the end?

Did you discuss with the doc why she's choosing one technique over the other? I think it's almost the same as it cuts off the tube from the uterus. But really sure sorry. I think a lot of women wanting to be sterilised get their tubes clipped.

hi ladies, advice needed!!

just had my review after my first failed fresh in may... dr suggested that I clip my left hydrosalpinx instead of removing it. I'm so confused now as I was determined to have it removed but I'm a little unsure of why doctor suggested otherwise. :(

anyone has similar experience? did you remove or clip your tube in the end?
Since our tubes are of no use, whats the point of clipping? By clipping the tubes, is that irreversible? Did u tell dr that u wish to have them remove? Whats her advice?

If you have already decided on removing the tubes after Dr Tan and KL Dr suggestion, maybe u wish to find a Dr who is willing to remove the tubes for u... or check with your current Dr and tell her that u insist on removing them...

Did you discuss with the doc why she's choosing one technique over the other? I think it's almost the same as it cuts off the tube from the uterus. But really sure sorry. I think a lot of women wanting to be sterilised get their tubes clipped.

her advice is that clipping and removal of tube serves the same purpose. but my take is that since it is of no use anyway, I would rather have it removed.

her advice is that clipping and removal of tube serves the same purpose. but my take is that since it is of no use anyway, I would rather have it removed.
That means clipping is irreversible too... then why the dr wants u to clip and not remove the tubes once and for all... its so funny! If u felt that u really wanna remove the tubes, my only solution is to get another dr to do the surgery for u since i felt that your mind is already set... why not to get another dr opinion?

That means clipping is irreversible too... then why the dr wants u to clip and not remove the tubes once and for all... its so funny! If u felt that u really wanna remove the tubes, my only solution is to get another dr to do the surgery for u since i felt that your mind is already set... why not to get another dr opinion?

yup I'll probably get another doctor to remove the tube after consultation... sigh so vexing!

Back